Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Painting the Crones in a positive light is reason enough to distrust that book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Probably they used to be nice and grew evil over time, like the lore book describes happening to their mother. Having finished the game, I think killing the spirit might be best, to thin out the number of evil spirits in the world as much as possible, but I freed it at the time because I took its dialogue suggesting it was heartless but basically neutral at face value.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Sequence breaking to release the tree spirit and then go and deal with the Crones is best. Because Downwarren is a loving hole and they got what's coming to them for their pro-infanticide policy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

, and Geralt's suspicions of there never being a druid circle in Velen are later dispelled by Avalach.

Can you jog my memory?

SirSamVimes posted:

Painting the Crones in a positive light is reason enough to distrust that book.

They DO provide for the people of the bog, they are mischievous, jelaous spirits who take their toll in flesh, but ultimately the people have a reason to see them in a positive light.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I thought he was talking about the leshen on Skellige. If that's the case, I had them banish the girl, killed it, but then didn't get involved when they murdered the elders, but that's because I'm trying to play as true to book Geralt as possible for this first playthrough.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

steinrokkan posted:

Can you jog my memory?

It's a tiny mention during Geralt and Avalach's excellent adventure. The hideout you investigate with Kiera was used by a druid from the Velen circle. Didn't even notice it the first two playthroughs.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sequence breaking to release the tree spirit and then go and deal with the Crones is best. Because Downwarren is a loving hole and they got what's coming to them for their pro-infanticide policy.

The whole thing is a great example of completely unseen "greater good" (you assume!) and seeing the awful consequences first hand with basically 0 wide spread effect vs. making your own corner of the world better but potentially creating a much worse problem that you may or may not ever have to deal with.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So (Lambert... what did you all do with Karedin? I felt like his remorse was all a farce and he was still a dirtbag, even if he refused to go into slaving with Hammond, according to the letter. Something about him just didn't sit right with me, though I was not a fan of how bloodthirsty and single-mindedly vengeful Lambert was, but I figure Geralt's comrade who he's known for years was a more reliable voucher for the dead witcher's character than the guy that ostensibly killed him.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I figured Lambert's main goal in life at this point is to give up his life as a witcher. He's always hated it. Karedin is someone who has successfully managed to make the transition. Lambert's also done really lovely stuff to other people, and is completely unrepentant and even delights in it a lot of times. I saw leaving Karedin alive as showing Lambert that it's possible to get a fresh start. That even when your old life catches up with you, sometimes it doesn't have to end in disaster.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lambert is just a salt elemental.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Lambert, Lambert, what a prick.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Not bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If I'm remembering right there's some elven ruins around that area with a shitload of wraiths and a noonwraith. It probably just wandered over.

Yeah, it was this (it didn't wander over, though, I walked toward the shiny question mark). I fought Jenny later, who definitely put up a fight, but not the kind of fight that took me down in two blows. I'm finally at the point where the Witch and Baron quests converge, so probably hitting the end of the Velen chapter. I'm still going to do contracts and secondary quests, and a little bit of exploring until I feel like I'm too low level for stuff, and then I'll head off for Novigrad.

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008
So did something change between 1.10 and GOTY with regards to alchemy? I booted up my old save, tried to drink two decoctions and couldn't even do it, let alone the other 4 potions I normally had. Do I need to re-slot my abilities or something?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

EcoBlue posted:

So did something change between 1.10 and GOTY with regards to alchemy? I booted up my old save, tried to drink two decoctions and couldn't even do it, let alone the other 4 potions I normally had. Do I need to re-slot my abilities or something?

YEah, that fixes it, had the same issue.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

MechaSeinfeld posted:

this is a really unimportant question, but why is the price of the temerian armour more expensive in game than what I've read? Like, the wiki says that the chest is supposed to be 230 witcher dollars but in game it's 485. Not a huge problem but it's kinda strange.

Is that the only armor with the wrong price? Otherwise the wiki may be using base price.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Was there a patch recently? Maybe that will explain while the audio selectively cut out during the Horrortree mission and didn't get turned on again until I reset the software.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Why when I die does it take so long to reload the level? I WAS JUST THERE. JUST LOAD THAT. It feels like this shouldn't take three minutes, especially not after the wait of installing the thing.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

jackpot posted:

Why when I die does it take so long to reload the level? I WAS JUST THERE. JUST LOAD THAT. It feels like this shouldn't take three minutes, especially not after the wait of installing the thing.

With an SSD it's incredibly fast (playing through the game again now, actually). I think it still reloads some assets (probably while resetting flags in the engine or something). There's still some waiting from continent to continent - or long distance anyway. But just loading last save in often barely enough time for the loading screen to appear. Are you on PS3 or a not-so-great computer or something?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

jackpot posted:

This issue was the reason I stopped my original playthrough on the PS4 and waited like a whole year to get it on PC (needed a better computer, got the GOTY edition too) and install it to an SSD.

I've just started properly questing in Skellige and am sweeping out the majority of the Scavenger Hunt quests after picking up the basic bear gear, and my two 'main' looking quests are helping the Jarl's kids, and going with Yennefer to check out the forest explosion.
Any particular order I should do these in for maximum entertainment, and how much of the main, non-DLC game do I have left? A third? Can't believe I've spent a whole 47 hours and the end still isn't clearly in sight.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
More like two thirds of the main quest left, and possibly quite a lot more side quests if you're only 47 hours in.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

More like two thirds of the main quest left, and possibly quite a lot more side quests if you're only 47 hours in.

Even with my position in the story being as stated in my earlier post? Early into Skellige, with most prior sidequests done? How much do I have hourwise?
:pusheen:

EcoBlue
Jan 1, 2008

Shannow posted:

YEah, that fixes it, had the same issue.

Sweet, I'll try that. Was very concerned about a patch breaking my build, since I didn't want to make a new one.

On that subject, are there any big changes since I played it last fall?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

bewilderment posted:

This issue was the reason I stopped my original playthrough on the PS4 and waited like a whole year to get it on PC (needed a better computer, got the GOTY edition too) and install it to an SSD.

I've just started properly questing in Skellige and am sweeping out the majority of the Scavenger Hunt quests after picking up the basic bear gear, and my two 'main' looking quests are helping the Jarl's kids, and going with Yennefer to check out the forest explosion.
Any particular order I should do these in for maximum entertainment, and how much of the main, non-DLC game do I have left? A third? Can't believe I've spent a whole 47 hours and the end still isn't clearly in sight.

You're about halfway through the game, if you already did the velen and novigrad sidequests you can do at your level. That said, there's a huge number of skellige sidequests to do and a later point where some more fairly high-profile sidequests will become available. If you choose to do them you can expect to take that long again to finish the game. And then there's the expansions.

Witcher 3 is big.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

bewilderment posted:

Even with my position in the story being as stated in my earlier post? Early into Skellige, with most prior sidequests done? How much do I have hourwise?
:pusheen:

I mean ~60-80 hours? Maybe a bit less?

e:probably more like 40-50 hours thinking on it a bit more.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 2, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I have about 120 hours of playtime after finishing the main game and Heart of Stone, if that helps any.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought I was fairly thorough (did all the notice boards quests, visited all the question marks, didn't read any of the descriptions for characters, monsters or quests which would certainly have added another couple of hours) and I was just shy of 100 hours at the very end of the main game, with about 10 hours from Hearts Of Stone and a little under 30 from Blood And Wine.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Eopia posted:

I have about 120 hours of playtime after finishing the main game and Heart of Stone, if that helps any.

I have 118 hours, and I'm early into Skellige and am sitting at level 24.

I play games real slow. And read all the books.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

mlmp08 posted:

I have 118 hours, and I'm early into Skellige and am sitting at level 24.

I play games real slow. And read all the books.

I feel like I've saved at least an hour by mashing through the dialogue that isn't interesting or that is just walking around.

I'm also saving my sanity by giving up on Gwent and no way am I visiting every single question mark, that's madness, especially in Skellige.
I spent most of today's holiday for me doing 90% of the Scavenger Hunts, and now I have everything but some final Feline and Wolven diagrams locked behind some enemies that seemed too tough. What an experience that was :geno:.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Part of it is that I just look at goddamn everything all the time. I routinely take 30-40 hours to beat games that are supposedly 12-15 hours long.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
80-90 hours for a reasonably comprehensive but not completionist run of the base game seems about average. I had 92 hours myself and hadn't done quite all the secondary quests, but I did do most.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I feel like I've saved at least an hour by mashing through the dialogue that isn't interesting or that is just walking around.

I'm also saving my sanity by giving up on Gwent and no way am I visiting every single question mark, that's madness, especially in Skellige.
I spent most of today's holiday for me doing 90% of the Scavenger Hunts, and now I have everything but some final Feline and Wolven diagrams locked behind some enemies that seemed too tough. What an experience that was :geno:.

Oh yeah, Gwent. From the looks of other people's play times I've saved maybe 50 hours by avoiding that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

2house2fly posted:

Oh yeah, Gwent. From the looks of other people's play times I've saved maybe 50 hours by avoiding that.

More like cheated yourself out of gwent.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Gwent is gwood

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The flaw I've found with Gwent is that I'm at basically the same spot as the guy who posted a few posts up is, and I have a killer Northern Realms deck with a solid style and methodology to winning with it on my end. The AI doesn't change its strategies or methods at all as the game seems to progress, and I have very little to no need to actually use any of the other decks, I'm just collecting them for the sake of collecting them. I've tried to challenge myself using some of the other decks I've started to fill out, and they for sure have differing styles, but your deck is so heavily lopsided to Northern Realms early on that basically everyone always uses that deck for over the half the game.

They should have made cards for the other decks more plentiful or at least started you out with enough to make a minimal deck of each type. Alternatively when they introduced Gwent at the start and you're about to get your first deck they could have had like a Q&A bit that determines which starter deck you get from the start, and then the merchants all sorta sell a card or two from each deck.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Fuzz posted:

The flaw I've found with Gwent is that I'm at basically the same spot as the guy who posted a few posts up is, and I have a killer Northern Realms deck with a solid style and methodology to winning with it on my end. The AI doesn't change its strategies or methods at all as the game seems to progress, and I have very little to no need to actually use any of the other decks, I'm just collecting them for the sake of collecting them. I've tried to challenge myself using some of the other decks I've started to fill out, and they for sure have differing styles, but your deck is so heavily lopsided to Northern Realms early on that basically everyone always uses that deck for over the half the game.

They should have made cards for the other decks more plentiful or at least started you out with enough to make a minimal deck of each type. Alternatively when they introduced Gwent at the start and you're about to get your first deck they could have had like a Q&A bit that determines which starter deck you get from the start, and then the merchants all sorta sell a card or two from each deck.

This is my issue with gwent as well. Until I got into Blood and Wine I literally never played anything other than the Northern Realms as my spy game was far too strong with it. Sure I have a decent Skellige deck now in order to win that tournament but I wouldn't have minded other things like that to force me into using the other factions.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This is fairly irrelevant as the actual Gwent stand-alone was published, but IMO the game should have:

1. Started you with full basic decks of each type, and spread the cards you find more or less equally between decks.

2. Rebalanced a bit to either make the Scoiatel / Monsters gimmicks more worthwhile, or throw them a few unique spies.

3. Start every match knowing in advance what deck your opponent is running, and your own choice limited to 2 decks (rotating at random for random matches, specific for notable card players)

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So what is the Gwent Standalone like anyway? I didn't know it existed before now.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eopia posted:

So what is the Gwent Standalone like anyway? I didn't know it existed before now.

As I understand, it's currently in beta, and there's an NDA in place, so folks can't really say too much about it. Sounds like it's pretty fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Crappy Jack posted:

As I understand, it's currently in beta, and there's an NDA in place, so folks can't really say too much about it. Sounds like it's pretty fun, though.

Is there a NDA? I've seen people streaming it.