Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Lunethex posted:

You can instant kill them, no extra work whatsoever, if you have the Monkey Wrench sword upgrade I think. I'm not too sure on the specifics behind that.

Oh right durr I totally forgot I'd bought that upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

man replaying dh1 and sokolov really gets some sort of rose tinted lenses in dh2. the dude is a lecherous old mad scientist, he has a caged and healthy woman in his lab and even the guards - who are about as one-note bad guy as it gets - are like "wow sokolov, that guy is a bit much."

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I just spent 40 minutes killing Jindosh in different ways.

The way I settled on was hitting him with a howl bolt, quickly taking down the two clockworks, and then in an open fight with him, deflecting his sword, grabbing him in a choke hold, and then just throwing him over the ledge of his lab, so he lands in the center of all the machinery.

I love this game.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I think my favorite thing with those stupid clockwork soldiers was my first playthrough, Jindosh's office, I had no idea what I was doing, so I thew a grenade at one of them, and he insta-attacked the other one and they blew eachother up. I was like :aaaaa:

I could never replicate that despite doing it a few times more. But now I just do the "jindosh never notices you" thing, because he's annoying and it's fun.

Apparently Jindosh moves through the building, he starts in the Atrium, some dude killed him there, and in a super-fast-playthrough video the guy finds him closing the door to that bridge and kills him. It's super cool.

I'm doing a OCD "collect all items" playthrough this time and super enjoying killing everyone. Since there's SO many people in the Duke's mansion, it's a loving bloody massacre. I can't wait to see my stats :unsmigghh:

Also, as a person who went to art school, Delilah's lovely rear end paintings are Contemporary Art trying to be Modern Art and I [hope] that the designers were making fun of it, because her paintings, and Contemporary Art, suck rear end.

Also also, as an art school person, the amount of teensy little details, like in the paintings... someone had to paint those IRL. The amount of work and thought put into this is crazy and I really appreciate it. For one, the cutscenes' artwork is amazing. Then I was impressed, especially, by "Sokolov's" painting of Emily. Someone actually painted that IRL. Like, drat.

/ :words:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

n4 posted:

I just spent 40 minutes killing Jindosh in different ways.

The way I settled on was hitting him with a howl bolt, quickly taking down the two clockworks, and then in an open fight with him, deflecting his sword, grabbing him in a choke hold, and then just throwing him over the ledge of his lab, so he lands in the center of all the machinery.

I love this game.

The non-lethal approach is super brutal.
I'd generally say that most non-lethal options are worse than straight killing the target.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

alf_pogs posted:

man replaying dh1 and sokolov really gets some sort of rose tinted lenses in dh2. the dude is a lecherous old mad scientist, he has a caged and healthy woman in his lab and even the guards - who are about as one-note bad guy as it gets - are like "wow sokolov, that guy is a bit much."

He's ~old~ so obviously he calmed down now.

the panacea posted:

I'd generally say that most non-lethal options are worse than straight killing the target.

Yeah the non-lethal ones have always been super evil: Putting Custis and Morgan to work in their mines. in 2, putting Paolo and Byrne to work in the mines.

I'm actually extremely confused as to why they chose Sokolov to be one of your main allies. (I'm also kinda sad Piero isn't in this game but maybe they couldn't get the voice actor and no onecould replace him).

Also, Susan Sarandon as Granny Rags. And her hand. That attacks you. Lol

I also like "This is better than any orgy I've had!" and then there's an orgy room. also Lol

Final thing because I'm writing too much. I HATED the outsider in DH1 because EVERY TIME you talked to him he'd say, "what will you do I wonder? Will you be bad or good? Will you save people, or kill them?" After one playthrough I just always skipped his annoying rear end. So I was so upset when I heard that he would be coming back in 2. But he's actually cool in this game. As far as I remember, he only said the "will you be bad or good" poo poo only once, and this time, he talks a lot about interesting things and stories. AND he hates Delilah. Good guy this time, overall.

e: final final thing: Even in my Kill Everyone playthough I felt so bad killing Hypatia. I just couldn't do it, nor could I keep Stilton being crazy. I was shocked when I read you could change his life and make him alive and happy an an ally.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 2, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Disagree. Dishonored 1's outsider was far more unique and engaging on the grounds that he didn't have a dumb effect applied to his voice and was covered in particle effects while teleporting around you for some reason. Dishonored 2 overplayed him and lost much of the effect. Sometimes less is more.

e: I recognize your complaint was just about his dialogue but whichever one has better dialogue, 2's presentation felt so much weaker that I couldn't enjoy any of his scenes

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 2, 2017

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Since one of the months in the Dishonored world is Earth I think our reality is connected to theirs through the void and I am guessing Dishonored 3 will be corvo coming into our world and you will be able to choose if you want to work for the CIA or Russia.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Sorry if this gets asked all the time, but I looked several pages back and couldn't see any mention of it - how is the performance now? I'm looking at the last hour of the Steam sale and wondering whether to grab this. I loved the first one and I meet the recommended spec (i5-2500k, 12GB of RAM and a 1060). But the performance problems seem kinda arbitrary and I'm nervous. I could download and refund it if I can't run it but that would use up a significant chunk of my monthly allowance on my crappy rural WISP.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

the panacea posted:

I did most of the non-lethal options and I think overall 2's non-lethal solutions aren't quite as disproportionate as the first game's, but Jindosh was the one time in either game* I went "okay well this other thing is way crueler than just plain old murder and I do not have the stomach for it so I'm going to stick to murder on this one." I mean, condemning someone to live out the rest of their life in some ironic hell is one thing, but as far as I'm concerned being lobotomized is basically the same as being murdered except it is infinitely more terrifying in an I-have-no-mouth-and-I-must-scream kind of way.

*Granted that's only because in Dishonored 1 I was a lot more insistent on doing a perfect non-lethal playthrough, otherwise I would have killed Lady Boyle because boy that non-lethal resolution is not okay.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 2, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On the other hand it's implied he's a lot happier in that state and quite loving towards his staff. :v:

But yeah, I did a bit of a double take on that one because holy poo poo. The voice actor's performance didn't help matters; nailed the desperation and panic perfectly.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Digirat posted:

Disagree. Dishonored 1's outsider was far more unique and engaging on the grounds that he didn't have a dumb effect applied to his voice and was covered in particle effects while teleporting around you for some reason. Dishonored 2 overplayed him and lost much of the effect. Sometimes less is more.

e: I recognize your complaint was just about his dialogue but whichever one has better dialogue, 2's presentation felt so much weaker that I couldn't enjoy any of his scenes

the new outsider wins for me simply because he spits his lines out. i felt so trapped in the Dis1 Outsider conversations that I'd take to tapping out SOS on my keyboard and trying my best to roll my eyes at him with the limited view control i had. dis2 feels way more like he's trying to impress you with his spooky mysteriousness, which isn't a good look for him, but at least he says his piece and gets off the goddamn stage.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I was hoping the Outsider would figure more into the plot this time, like in the last act Delilah would try to steal more of his power and he'd actually need your help, complete with a more elaborate Void level than just the part of the finale we got. One thing I liked about Dishonored 1 was that the Outsider had different lines depending on whether you talked to him before or after you dealt with your target, and also whether you went lethal or non-lethal. In Dishonored 2 it looks like they cut that and just had him deliver more generic background Information.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Zephro posted:

Sorry if this gets asked all the time, but I looked several pages back and couldn't see any mention of it - how is the performance now? I'm looking at the last hour of the Steam sale and wondering whether to grab this. I loved the first one and I meet the recommended spec (i5-2500k, 12GB of RAM and a 1060). But the performance problems seem kinda arbitrary and I'm nervous. I could download and refund it if I can't run it but that would use up a significant chunk of my monthly allowance on my crappy rural WISP.

I have lesser hardware than you do (running an amdfx 6300 with only have 8 gigs and a 970) and I had a little slowdown at the start of the second level but no other problems, and the patches smoothed that little bit out. It's funny how the performance issues seem completely arbitrary, you're right about that.

but in short dude yeah go for it, it's really good. I was worried about it a little after what happened to Mankind Divided (specifically, I was afraid that whole half-a-story thing was the start of a new trend) but it's a solid sequel to the first game, and even if it runs a little choppy in some areas it's still worth playing.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 2, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

I did most of the non-lethal options and I think overall 2's non-lethal solutions aren't quite as disproportionate as the first game's, but Jindosh was the one time in either game* I went "okay well this other thing is way crueler than just plain old murder and I do not have the stomach for it so I'm going to stick to murder on this one."
Yeah Dishonored 2 toned it way down with the nonlethal options. Jindosh's is the only one where I'd say it's extremely hosed up on every level. Ashworth's is kinda cruel but not super terrible in the grand scheme of things, the Duke's is just fun and completely nonviolent although I guess Dishonored being what it is he's probably gonna end up executed for impersonation, and the others range from merciful to actively beneficial. Putting Paolo and Byrne to work in the mines is pretty evil but then it's not the only alternative to killing them since you can just leave them entirely alone.

I remember reading that the nonlethal options in Dishonored 1 weren't originally on the agenda and are a more-or-less subtle piss take on the playtesters who kept demanding them, and if that's how it was it speaks volumes of the development culture at Arkane that they obviously came around to the idea and spent some time on coming up with nonlethal alternatives that integrate fully with everything else.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Apparently the Outsider's original VA got replaced, without anyone telling him, after he'd done some preliminary voice work for this game. That's a monumentally dick move if true.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

poptart_fairy posted:

Apparently the Outsider's original VA got replaced, without anyone telling him, after he'd done some preliminary voice work for this game. That's a monumentally dick move if true.

This is pretty par for the course as far as VA work goes, really. I mean, the guy who played Kellogg in Fallout 4 didn't even know that he was in a Fallout game.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

3Romeo posted:

I have lesser hardware than you do (running an amdfx 6300 with only have 8 gigs and a 970) and I had a little slowdown at the start of the second level but no other problems, and the patches smoothed that little bit out. It's funny how the performance issues seem completely arbitrary, you're right about that.

but in short dude yeah go for it, it's really good. I was worried about it a little after what happened to Mankind Divided (specifically, I was afraid that whole half-a-story thing was the start of a new trend) but it's a solid sequel to the first game, and even if it runs a little choppy in some areas it's still worth playing.
Thanks. I grabbed it so I guess I'll find out!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Crappy Jack posted:

This is pretty par for the course as far as VA work goes, really. I mean, the guy who played Kellogg in Fallout 4 didn't even know that he was in a Fallout game.
Voice actors were a frequent source of leaks so developers started telling them less.

One of the main points of the dispute in the VA union strike was actually about this.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 2, 2017

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Cool thing I noticed on a kill-everything run: if you go combat with Brianna, she has counters to some of your powers like doppelganger, and she goes on about Daud and Meagan Foster.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
So is the dialogue option thing on the last mission with Meagan only available if you do a good/no kill run? I got the option to choose "you suck" or "it's ok" on my last run, which was good/no kill, but on this kill run, there's no option, just a cutscene.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Zephro posted:

I'm running a 2.5-years old CPU and 4.5-year old Vid card setup; I get 45-60 FPS on near-max settings at 2560 x 1600. Ie: Didn't experience the performance issues you read in steam reviews.

Overall take: Top-notch gameplay in the vein of Deus Ex and System Shock 2. Multiple ways to approach problems; combat, or lack-thereof is fun, varied, and interesting. Visual style and level detail is unmatched in quality.

The choice and morality system was above average, although the current bar is set quite low! Most of the choices are somewhat obvious and binary, but there's no beating you over the head with consequences, and the game does a nice job of casting your character based on your combo of choices. And as usual in fiction, you are God; your actions affect the lives of everyone.

Plot, story and dialog are unremarkable. I miss the varied cast of allies of Dishonored 1; it felt cool plotting with your cohorts in that game, the only people who trusted you. You only have two allies in this game, and they're dull.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 2, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Honestly I think Brianna's non-lethal outcome is worse than Jindosh's, as he forgets what he's lost but she can't. They're both equally culpable pieces of poo poo but what you do to her is worse than institutionalising the duke, I mean at least he can entertain thoughts of escaping and retaking his throne but there's no way she's getting her powers back.

I also liked how Brianna's unsent letter strongly implies she's in love with Delilah, and Delilah talks affectionately of Brianna, but as soon as she finds out you've cut Brianna off from the void she drops that poo poo like it's hot. "I don't want to see her again, it would make me sad." Heart-warming loyalty.

Dominoes posted:

Plot, story and dialog are unremarkable. B-movie quality. I miss the varied cast of allies of Dishonored 1; it felt cool plotting with your cohorts in that game, the only people who trusted you. You only have two allies in this game, and they're dull.

Your enemy this game is much more interesting and present throughout the entire game, though.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

GotLag posted:

Your enemy this game is much more interesting and present throughout the entire game, though.
Totally valid. Although her motives are approach are dull, and her character has no subtlety or ambiguity. (Not saying D1's did.)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I thought Delilah was pretty interesting. She wants to be loved but has an completely broken idea of how to achieve this.

Growing up in the palace, too young to understand why her father the emperor is fobbing her off (and taking the first opportunity to be rid of her), is thrown out on the streets to watch her mother die of poverty, and has to whore herself to patrons like Sokolov to survive. She is understandably jealous of Jessamine but fails to understand why Jessamine was popular because she only remembers Jessamine as the spoilt brat who dropped her in the poo poo, so she thinks that just by taking Jessamine's throne she'll take her popularity as well. So when she does get the throne but doesn't get the love, it all tastes of ashes and she lashes out before embarking on her project to "fix" the world. In summary, all of the power and none of the wisdom. Definitely a good idea to have given her the mark, Outsider! :bravo:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

^^ I didn't appreciate or track that Delilah did her slaughter plan after not being loved on the throne; that makes it a bit more fun.

Thin Privilege posted:

Also also, as an art school person, the amount of teensy little details, like in the paintings... someone had to paint those IRL. The amount of work and thought put into this is crazy and I really appreciate it. For one, the cutscenes' artwork is amazing. Then I was impressed, especially, by "Sokolov's" painting of Emily. Someone actually painted that IRL. Like, drat.
I was floored! Detailed, dark, and interesting; all throughout the game. I want some for my walls.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dominoes posted:

Plot, story and dialog are unremarkable. I miss the varied cast of allies of Dishonored 1; it felt cool plotting with your cohorts in that game, the only people who trusted you. You only have two allies in this game, and they're dull.

strongly agree. the plot twists in dh1 are just as clearly telegraphed but also wildly more entertaining. suddenly takin a left turn into chasing down Daud, who is until then a background character at best, feels pretty fantastic. also granny rags and slackjaw are somehow more cartoonish and more interesting than paulo and byrne. subjective tho

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I thought Mindy Blanchard was going to be Dishonored 2's granny-analogue but then she just... didn't show up again.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GotLag posted:

I thought Delilah was pretty interesting. She wants to be loved but has an completely broken idea of how to achieve this.

Growing up in the palace, too young to understand why her father the emperor is fobbing her off (and taking the first opportunity to be rid of her), is thrown out on the streets to watch her mother die of poverty, and has to whore herself to patrons like Sokolov to survive. She is understandably jealous of Jessamine but fails to understand why Jessamine was popular because she only remembers Jessamine as the spoilt brat who dropped her in the poo poo, so she thinks that just by taking Jessamine's throne she'll take her popularity as well. So when she does get the throne but doesn't get the love, it all tastes of ashes and she lashes out before embarking on her project to "fix" the world. In summary, all of the power and none of the wisdom. Definitely a good idea to have given her the mark, Outsider! :bravo:

The Outsider doesn't care about the empire or the Kaldwin line, just amusing himself. This is the dude who gave his mark to a killer for hire, and other unsavory individuals to sow chaos so he had something fun to watch. Of course, he didn't realize Delilah was so resourceful as to locate a source of his power as she drifted the void for fifteen years and steal even more of his power.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

GotLag posted:

Well, she made the world a more interesting place, and that's all that matters to Whale-Boy.

My feelings about D2 are weird. I really enjoyed individual parts of the game, but I don't think I liked it when taken as a whole. I like Emily, I liked the witches, I liked Professor Vape-Hand and Drunk Vincent D'Onforio, but when I consider the game in its entirety, it feels like a rerun of the first game minus the novelty. I'm still puzzling it out.

Maybe it's the architecture; I sorely missed Viktor Antonov's oppressive steel confabulations, and the woodworks just aren't the same.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 3, 2017

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Karnaca is an interesting place architecturally, but it's sorely lacking in interesting characters. In Dishonored 1 you had what, about a dozen different people in the Hound Pits? Samuel, Piero, Havelock, Pendleton, Martin, Piero, Callista, Wallace, Lydia, Cecilia, Emily and Sokolov. And all of them had new dialogue after each mission, even if the three servants only got generic lines from the Heart. On the Deadful Wale, you have four People tops, two of those don't stick around for long, and the other two are already established characters from Dishonored 1.

Especially considering the size of the ship, they really could have given Meagan an actual crew; an engineer, a cook and navigator from various parts in the empire that comment on your actions and have various interactions with each other. As little as there is to do on the Wale, they could have cut it entirely and just gone with mission briefings during the starting skiff ride.

And considering that the Duke pretty much has the same problem as the regent in D1 of being on-screen too little, it really starts getting noticeable that the main villain is a reused character from Dishonored 1 too. Slackjaw and Granny Rags were great for setting up Dunwall's atmosphere, but they really have no counterparts in D2.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

GotLag posted:

I thought she got the powers by being super strong when she was in the void; i.e. the Outsider didn't actually give it to her. He says that she was super determined and super strong and that's how she was able to get powers in the Void. He says that "Delilah is a part of me now, and I don't like it".

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Thin Privilege posted:

I thought she got the powers by being super strong when she was in the void; i.e. the Outsider didn't actually give it to her. He says that she was super determined and super strong and that's how she was able to get powers in the Void. He says that "Delilah is a part of me now, and I don't like it".

The Outsider gave her his mark before the events of the first game, and that's where she got all the powers she had when Daud confronted her in the Dishonored 1 DLC. After Daud kills her, that's when she floats around in the Void for a while and eventually manages to steal more of the Outsider's power than what he gave freely, which she uses to come back to life and execute Plan B for taking over the throne.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Ok, I just discovered a whole new area in the final level on this playthrough. Hands up who hasn't yet taken the Coldridge Canal route.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

I found it in my second game. It's pretty cool though. I like that you can see where you escape prison as Corvo in the last game.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Kind of a pity there aren't any unique voice lines there (well there aren't as Emily) .

n4
Jul 26, 2001

In my last play through I found a woman who hung herself inside a closed off Addermire office after being fired. She was one of Hypatia's assistants and was fired cause the Duke and co. were trying to isolate Hypatia. And I think she got infested with bloodflies too? At least that was my understanding

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

n4 posted:

In my last play through I found a woman who hung herself inside a closed off Addermire office after being fired. She was one of Hypatia's assistants and was fired cause the Duke and co. were trying to isolate Hypatia. And I think she got infested with bloodflies too? At least that was my understanding

Lots of things get infected with bloodflies. Some of the overseers in the Dust District will burst out some bloodflies if you kill them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

n4 posted:

I found it in my second game. It's pretty cool though. I like that you can see where you escape prison as Corvo in the last game.

I found it immediately because I was trying to see if I could climb up the boat elevator for the third time (not in-world, since I was playing as Emily, but still). You can't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Dr.Smasher posted:

Lots of things get infected with bloodflies. Some of the overseers in the Dust District will burst out some bloodflies if you kill them

I left Paolo's corpse laying around while I raided the basement and found it full of bloodflies when I returned. The good news is that the overseers didn't seem to mind.

(Tip: if you're delivering Paolo to Byrne, don't equip the bonecharm that causes white hounds to fight on your side. You get blamed when your new pet tries to eat his handler. Oops.)

• Locked thread