Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
What's happening with Lackadaisy? It hasn't updated in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The worldbuilding isn't that complex, but it's definitely poorly-communicated at times.

For me the biggest problem I have is the huge info dump graphic pages in blindsprings. I'd rather have more mystery and none of those pages. (which is what I opted for since I've read exactly zero of them)

I think it's a cool comic and want to see where it goes though. World building is good and important but it's not an excuse for dumping absolutely everything on the reader and make them suffer like you did for the sake of creating a well fleshed out world. Stuff should be revealed organically as you progress through the story.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 2, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Forgall posted:

That's normal. Lackadaisy is a side project.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

That's normal. Lackadaisy is a side project.
That's not what her patreon is saying.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Forgall posted:

The news was updated yesterday. There is a multi page update to kick off volume 3 that's going to be up soon. Patreon folks can see the first page of it already.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Forgall posted:

That's not what her patreon is saying.

Yeah, she decided to work on Lackadaisy full-time as of last year(?). Guess it hasn't affected her productivity much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

JuniperCake posted:

For me the biggest problem I have is the huge info dump graphic pages in blindsprings. I'd rather have more mystery and none of those pages. (which is what I opted for since I've read exactly zero of them)

I think it's a cool comic and want to see where it goes though. World building is good and important but it's not an excuse for dumping absolutely everything on the reader and make them suffer like you did for the sake of creating a well fleshed out world. Stuff should be revealed organically as you progress through the story.

I never minded the newspaper clippings as chapter dividers and stuff but maybe I'm just used to those fantasy webcomics that make whole massive wikis for background info the author can't wait to gush about

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, she decided to work on Lackadaisy full-time as of last year(?). Guess it hasn't affected her productivity much.

Her patreon stretch goal was to update twice a month until volume 2 was done, which wrapped up with the storm cloud page. Then she was going to take some time to prep volume 3 and a make full card deck. Looks like volume 3 is going to start with the update JuniperCake mentioned

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I never minded the newspaper clippings as chapter dividers and stuff but maybe I'm just used to those fantasy webcomics that make whole massive wikis for background info the author can't wait to gush about

True enough, there is definitely an audience of folks who like to get into the nitty gritty details of everything. I think for me the worst case is when an artist decides to start with a 20-30 page intro that's just describing the setting before even introducing any of the characters. Also bad is when a pivotal moment in the comic is interrupted by an info dump full of a bunch of maps and lists, etc. It's that kind of thing that has made me dislike info dumps in general.

At least restricting info dumps to in-between chapters is much better than those even if it's personally not my cup of tea. A wikia is probably a good way to handle it, so long as the story itself is capable of standing on it's own without it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I know that Octopus Pie has had a weird update schedule for a while but this particular cliffhanger has been killing me

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Stand Still Stay Silent:

Welp.

I'm really happy that Sundberg isn't chickening out with this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fangz posted:

Stand Still Stay Silent:

Welp.

I'm really happy that Sundberg isn't chickening out with this.

I wonder, since she is the only one that can meaningfully communicate with their scout, does that mean the group will try to keep her alive for as long as possible? I forget how far away they are from their pickup.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder, since she is the only one that can meaningfully communicate with their scout, does that mean the group will try to keep her alive for as long as possible? I forget how far away they are from their pickup.

Gosh, that is a mighty clusterfuck. I guess Reynir can communicate with Lalli in dreams though. I suspect this is going to end with them trying the serum though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sundberg said a little while ago that SSSS' laid-back tone takes a sharp downward turn.

Guess we're at that point!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
All I know re: Blindsprings is that the magic users had to be some real sick fucks to even get half way to justifying the poo poo the academia is pulling.

I don't even know what begins to justify magically wiring up individuals, including children, to be slave drones.

I get the spirits are 100% at it (Like SMT level "at it"; the one 'good' one has openly stated the only reason it's not happy about the Faustian bargain that's going down in its favour is because the person on the other end doesn't care for that detail) but Academia isn't doing a good job justifying itself as the order to that chaos.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 3, 2017

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

ConanThe3rd posted:

All I know re: Blindsprings is that the magic users had to be some real sick fucks to even get half way to justifying the poo poo the academia is pulling.

I don't even know what begins to justify magically wiring up individuals, including children, to be slave drones.

I haven't read the comic but that doesn't sound too out of line from plenty of groups in history.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Man, Sam and Fuzzy. I really did not expect it to be Sin, for some reason, but then - it's ALWAYS Sin, and it makes sense in hindsight. He had built fully functional robot AI more than once. He had a machine capable of digitizing someone's brain. He has clearly had access to incredibly advanced tech the rest of the committee didn't. Of course Theo would see him as a useful ally, and of course Sin would betray him.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I haven't read Sam and Fuzzy in aaaaages but I checked it on a whim the other day; why is Questionable Content's sociopathic midget robot there?? :psyduck:

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Have some SPACESHIPS!!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I hadn't seen Hortense in so long I forgot about her

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Just spent the long weekend recuperating from a cold by re-reading and catching up on Octopus Pie, which I apparently hadn't read since 2012.

First, Meredith Gran is a wonder and her comic is even better than I remember after all of these years.

Second, this thing has to be ending soon, right? It feels like we're right near an ending, if a comic like that can have one. Or maybe there is one last plot in the works?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I get the spirits are 100% at it (Like SMT level "at it"; the one 'good' one has openly stated the only reason it's not happy about the Faustian bargain that's going down in its favour is because the person on the other end doesn't care for that detail) but Academia isn't doing a good job justifying itself as the order to that chaos.

The academists don't even think the spirits are real. So to them, running some oppressive feudalist state on the grounds that "no, really, these spirits need us in power so we can do our creepy blood magic for them" was a flimsy excuse. But most regular people are apparently really creeped out by the gravers and they were only now invited back into the public eye after a giant tree appeared in the middle of the city. It doesn't help that a portion of the orphic rebel group want to go into full-blown terrorist acts against the academists to fight them.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

shirts and skins posted:

Just spent the long weekend recuperating from a cold by re-reading and catching up on Octopus Pie, which I apparently hadn't read since 2012.

First, Meredith Gran is a wonder and her comic is even better than I remember after all of these years.

Second, this thing has to be ending soon, right? It feels like we're right near an ending, if a comic like that can have one. Or maybe there is one last plot in the works?

Her comment under the most recent comic was "Happy new year, my friends. Let’s go on one more journey." We're definitely approaching the ending.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I haven't read Sam and Fuzzy in aaaaages but I checked it on a whim the other day; why is Questionable Content's sociopathic midget robot there?? :psyduck:

It's a pseudo crossover for a temporary character, seemingly mostly for fun since the authors get along well. It's not really the same guy though - more an alternate world version of the little guy.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It might as well be the same wackybot, since part of the premise of QC is it's taking place in a wild technofuturistic society the comic just focuses on one crushingly mundane and insular part of and the whole premise of Sam and Fuzzy is taking random one-off jokes super seriously

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i have a sphinx fetish

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well who doesn't?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Here's a thicc sphinx for you

Here's a sphinx that improved on the boob window formula to get a boob porthole

If Oedipus has had a sphinx fetish, he wouldn't have ended up banging his mom.

Post powered by the funniest pictures on the Wikipedia page for sphinx.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That's a riddle bit lewd.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What creature has three legs in the evening?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What creature has three legs in the evening?

Me, when I see a sphinx. :heysexy:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Me, when I see a sphinx. :heysexy:

:thejoke:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I revealed my tamest darkest secrets for nothing.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You fuckers broke Avshalom. That's some kind of achievement or something.

Anybody else still read Darths & Droids? I haven't been really able to stay interested since, like, the end of A New Hope.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That still exists?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It does! And I liked how they handled A New Hope, and the Darth Vader is Padme twist, but I just...

:shrug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's been superceded by Auralnauts

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

It does! And I liked how they handled A New Hope, and the Darth Vader is Padme twist, but I just...

:shrug:

I agree. The prequels worked as the ridiculous "tabletop game gone wrong" helped mock the silliness of the plot. The original trilogy isn't being made fun of however, just followed along with a couple of minor twists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PMush Perfect posted:

Anybody else still read Darths & Droids? I haven't been really able to stay interested since, like, the end of A New Hope.

Only out of inertia. It's not as funny anymore because the plot isn't as ridiculous.

• Locked thread