Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
lol we kind of fired our OC a week before the natl. championship uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Scionix posted:

lol we kind of fired our OC a week before the natl. championship uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

run the dang ball
pick 6s

there i just gameplanned for you

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Kiffin's going to end his career in Larry Brown territory for number of bridges burned.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

MourningView posted:

Of a heart attack when he gets owned in Kinnick again

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Anals of History posted:

Kiffin's going to end his career in Larry Brown territory for number of bridges burned.

I think George Karl is now the standard bearer for 'bridges burned'

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/816002126413381632

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Do you really need an offensive coordinator with Scarbrough and a defense that gets you 14 points a game

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

LeeMajors posted:

That looks pretty good.

I'd put Mac at 5a if the team looks absolutely awful tomorrow. And it'll be red hot if we are a dumpster fire again next year.

New AD...maybe we will never hire another Saban assistant.

If they look lovely in their bowl game and suck next year then it's Chip Time. :getin:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SourKraut posted:

So do I, so that RichRod languishes another year in Tucson while ASU gets first choice at a HC replacement.
Is this where I point to the scoreboard?

Because that's what I'm doing

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Really all I want is for Todd Graham to be fired before RichRod.

And then for Graham to land at Texas A&M after they fire Sumlin.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The historic Michigan passing game

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Anals of History posted:

At least Larry Brown won titles as a HC.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Of a heart attack when he gets owned in Kinnick again

The only thing that could hurt Harbaugh in Iowa is a postal truck out to finish the job.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

MourningView posted:

The historic Michigan passing game

he was the only good thing in the golden era.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Well, I'm pretty glad we didn't fire Helton

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

an adult beverage posted:

If they look lovely in their bowl game and suck next year then it's Chip Time. :getin:

As if we won't hunger for Chip, then settle for Dan Mullen

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Notre Dame is going to fire Brian Kelly after next year and hire Joe Moorhead as their next head coach

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Chip Brown reporting that Tom Herman is bringing in Beck to be the OC at Texas. Would've been much happier just keeping Sterlin Gilbert.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Who called the offense at UH — Herman or Applewhite? I seriously don't know.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Chip Brown reporting that Tom Herman is bringing in Beck to be the OC at Texas. Would've been much happier just keeping Sterlin Gilbert.

Word is Beck didn't actually call any plays and Ed Warriner is the one who sucks. I can buy that, tbh.

And it's looking like Kevin Wilson might seriously be the OC at OSU next year.

The rumor I saw was Beck and Warriner follow Herman to Texas. Wilson becomes OC, Studrawa is the main offensive line coach now and Ryan Day comes in to be QB coach.

Real Name Grover posted:

From what I understand, Herman installs the offense and the gameday playcalling was all done by Applewhite.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 3, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ND should replace Brian Kelly with Chip Kelly

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Is this where I point to the scoreboard?

Because that's what I'm doing

An Arizona coach could probably get an extra year or two of failure ignored if the one pac12 win continues to be ASU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

Applewhite called out of Herman's playbook with Herman "suggesting" a bunch of awful run plays. I think UH passes a lot more next year.

Applewhite still needs to hire a DC. The most likely guys seem to be bringing back Brian Stewart from Nebraska, who was Sumlin's DC here and did a good-not-great job, or Randy Shannon if Florida doesn't hire him permanently. Some boosters want Tosh Lupoi but people in hell want ice water too.

There will also be huge pressure to add Wade Phillips in some capacity if he's not in the NFL next year.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Stewart has done a decent job with the DBs here in Lincoln; I wouldn't be thrilled to lose him

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Korranus posted:

Applewhite called out of Herman's playbook with Herman "suggesting" a bunch of awful run plays. I think UH passes a lot more next year.

Applewhite still needs to hire a DC. The most likely guys seem to be bringing back Brian Stewart from Nebraska, who was Sumlin's DC here and did a good-not-great job, or Randy Shannon if Florida doesn't hire him permanently. Some boosters want Tosh Lupoi but people in hell want ice water too.

There will also be huge pressure to add Wade Phillips in some capacity if he's not in the NFL next year.

Is Wade actually involved with the school or is that a weird Oilers fan thing?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Tracy Claeys is meeting with Minnesota's AD today; from what I can gather on Twitter, he <might> be gone?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Adam Scheier is leaving Wake Forest. Dave Clawson took over coaching the TEs at some point this year, leaving him just to handle Special Teams. I don't know if their relationship soured or what. Scheier had been with Dave since 09 at BG.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Real Name Grover posted:

Tracy Claeys is meeting with Minnesota's AD today; from what I can gather on Twitter, he <might> be gone?

But why?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

sportsgenius86 posted:

Word is Beck didn't actually call any plays and Ed Warriner is the one who sucks. I can buy that, tbh.

And it's looking like Kevin Wilson might seriously be the OC at OSU next year.

The rumor I saw was Beck and Warriner follow Herman to Texas. Wilson becomes OC, Studrawa is the main offensive line coach now and Ryan Day comes in to be QB coach.

From what I understand, Herman installs the offense and the gameday playcalling was all done by Applewhite.

I look at Warriner the way I looked at Fickell 3 years ago, which was that he was a fantastic position coach in the front 7 and could get alignments handled but had no business making defensive playcalls despite being responsible for them. After Clemson beat the hell out of him, Meyer brought in Ash to fix the coverage and call plays. Warriner is in a similar spot. Warriner and Beck have bounced primary playcalling responsibilities back and forth for the last two years the same way Withers and Fickell did with the defense pre-Ash. It's been mostly Warriner, but don't underestimate the amount of influence Beck had by completely destroying JT's mechanics and progression reading, just like you could blame Fickell for the defensive calling but not everything since Withers designed all of their stupid and nonsensical coverages. Warriner was a fantastic O-line coach. He just should never ever ever ever have a call sheet in his hand from the last 2 years. Studrawa's work with O-line this past year leaves a lot to be desired, and I would rather we just take the call sheet away from Warriner and put him back on O-line on the sideline while canning Stud or moving him to TEs than anything else. I haven't heard about Warriner moving though, only Beck so far.

It's worth noting also that, apparently, Urban never delegated the same amount of offensive control to either of them as he did to Herman, which likely contributes to the present, since part of letting Herman work involved letting him off leash to do stuff like redesign the vertical game for Cardale in the postseason or take apart the screen game after Clemson mauled it in 2013. Redundancies are good, but creating two people to take ownership for the offense means that no one does since no one can go all-in on it. Maybe one of them works out of they're given Carte Blanche, but I doubt it highly after watching Warriner struggle to understand why people crowd the line on a team that doesn't go deep while JT pats the ball looking at his two reads on the play.

I like Wilson as a playcaller and would love the air raid elements he could add while keeping the run game in tact, but I'm also more than a little concerned about hiring a guy fired for treating players like poo poo apparently. As long as he's willing to call deep balls, he's an improvement though. Ryan Day is a bit of a mixed bag when I look at it. He got career years/efforts out of Nick Foles and Sam Bradford in the NFL, but his Temple offense was...uh...not great. I'm willing to look over the year with the Niners because it was Kaep and Gabbert where one has never been good and one was good for like 1-2 years before he just gave up on being any good. As long as he can get Barrett's "Uncle Rico" caliber wind-up pared down and get him making faster decisions (both of which I would imagine a Chip Kelly protege can do), I'm quite alright with that.

Houston's offense was called by Applewhite in practice and in games, but Herman basically handles all installation during the week and in the offseason. Applewhite apparently had Herman's level of control during games though, which is a bit surprising, but the thought is that Herman's going to give Beck that level of control at Texas. If that's the case, I'm so so sorry for what's about to happen to Buchele, Thermos.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

I haven't heard about Warriner moving though, only Beck so far.

Seemed like Warriner was set to go to Cincinnati until Mike Denbrock left ND to go there.

E: vvv :thurman:

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 3, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

But why?

penn state fan shocked that school might take hard line stance against sexual assault

Korranus posted:

"No, no, that guy who left only called the BAD plays"

Also why would Wade take a college assistant job at this stage in his career?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 3, 2017

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Korranus posted:

Wade Phillips...seriously? In a world where playbooks are getting simpler, someone wants to go get the most complicated defensive schemer in the NFL right now? Stewart might not but bad, but man would Randy Shannon be funny. Imagine Randy Shannon doing his fun Cover 2 dance in a league where Tulsa is more than happy to run four verts every play until you stop it. Hell, imagine Randy Shannon calling a defense against USF.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah check out Notre Dame's defense the last couple years if you want to see an NFL mind trying to bring all their systems to the college game.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is Wade actually involved with the school or is that a weird Oilers fan thing?

He's a UH alum. Played linebacker under Bill Yeoman in the mid 60s. He donates to UH and talks with UH DCs from time to time but never anything official. I don't think he'd do any actual coaching in a retirement gig.

Now if you want weird Oilers fan thing that would be Rex and Rob Ryan.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

penn state fan shocked that school might take hard line stance against sexual assault

Thank you

Plus Claeys was a stopgap (only has a two year contact + $500K buyout), and was not the current AD's hire either.

E: Fleck would supposedly be a candidate, because of course

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would like to be posting about Iowa's offensive coordinator search but lol. Unless Davis wants to retire we're just gonna chalk the offensive problems up to having bad receivers and stay the course. I'm sure it's a coincidence that we went from always being competitive in bowl games, even when overmatched on talent, to being completely destroyed every year as soon as we hired Greg

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

TheGreyGhost posted:

I like Wilson as a playcaller and would love the air raid elements he could add while keeping the run game in tact, but I'm also more than a little concerned about hiring a guy fired for treating players like poo poo apparently. As long as he's willing to call deep balls, he's an improvement though.

Assuming the player treatment issues are squashed since he's coming in as a coordinator and not the head of the program, I really like the hire. IU's offenses under him always put up a lot more points than talent dictated and it was a fun style.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wilson makes sense in that Urban was heavily influenced by Wilson and Randy Walker's offense at Northwestern, but it'd be pretty gross coming so quickly on the tails of him getting fired for player abuse issues. That Indiana fired him in the first place suggests pretty strongly that there was something legit there.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yep

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/816308500544397312

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's also talk of Ryan Day, former 49ers QB coach going to OSU to coach QBs and call the offense.

E: GROVER :doom:

• Locked thread