Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
buzzfeed news is no joke the best news and breaking news app for your phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
You could give the BBC news app a whirl. I believe you can do a lot of customisation to remove the UK-focussed tabs if you're on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was thinking of doing a subscription to one of the big newspapers/news magazines (wsj, nytimes, economist, ?) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on the iOS apps alone, since that's where I'd be reading it mostly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Isn't Flipboard good?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

enojy posted:

Not a single person mentioned anything to do with Star Wars lmao

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Knowing if major members of Star Wars' cast have died, and knowing first, is important, damnit.

benisntfunny posted:

Curious how knowing she died 20 minutes before reported by NBC/CNN had any real impact for you. Not saying it didn't - I really want to know what it is you do that is requiring your news speed.

:confused:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Breaking News had Newtown and the Boston Bombing way early and it's a great resource. Or is it just surly goons time?

I haven't used their app but I follow them on twitter. I'm bummed.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

Breaking News had Newtown and the Boston Bombing way early and it's a great resource. Or is it just surly goons time?

I haven't used their app but I follow them on twitter. I'm bummed.

Any time somebody says they want their phone to do something, there are a half dozen people ready to explain why wanting that is pointless and dumb. It is the Way of the Thread.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think we can all agree tho that using an app to keep track of your haircuts is brilliant and that the person who makes such an app is a modern Prometheus!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 2, 2017

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

I think we can all agree tho that using an app to keep track of your haircuts is brilliant and that the person who makes such an app is a modern Prometheus!

Wait, there's a haircut app? Anyone have a link in the App Store? I could really use something like that.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

flosofl posted:

Wait, there's a haircut app? Anyone have a link in the App Store? I could really use something like that.

Truly the finest app on the store: http://appshopper.com/lifestyle/track-haircut

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:dance:

Please tell me this was done as a response to the thread. I will be so disappointed if not.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

gently caress yeah. :allears:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

priznat posted:

I was thinking of doing a subscription to one of the big newspapers/news magazines (wsj, nytimes, economist, ?) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations based on the iOS apps alone, since that's where I'd be reading it mostly.

If you have Amazon Prime you can get an electronic 6 mo trial WaPo sub free. https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/prime/ No clue how good the app is.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Grassy Knowles posted:

If you have Amazon Prime you can get an electronic 6 mo trial WaPo sub free. https://subscribe.washingtonpost.com/prime/ No clue how good the app is.

The app is pretty good. Nice looking and runs smoothly. Subscriptions are also free if you have a .gov/.edu/.mil email address.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A long time ago someone recommended the Spend app, which I liked but hasn't been updated in a very long time and now some stuff doesn't work. Anything similar out that's newer?

I just want a very simple budget app that doesn't want to connect to my bank account.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Spendee is pretty good: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spendee-see-where-your-money/id635861140?mt=8

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Isn't Flipboard good?

Flipboard is alright, but has gotten worse in the past year. Tons more ads lately, especially two page ads. The worst part is you get "submitted links" peppered in with actual curated links, which are almost always click bait and/or ad-laden poo poo, with no option to disable them. I still use it alongside Apple's News app, but I'd love to replace them both with something better.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

enojy posted:

Flipboard is alright, but has gotten worse in the past year. Tons more ads lately, especially two page ads. The worst part is you get "submitted links" peppered in with actual curated links, which are almost always click bait and/or ad-laden poo poo, with no option to disable them. I still use it alongside Apple's News app, but I'd love to replace them both with something better.

I wish apps would move more towards quality vs quality...'pay us the bux and we'll deliver' model.

Its like having a new GF after each year where it was good but turned lovely.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I don't like the outlook app

Spark...seems ok

Is airmail worth it before I drop the $5? Why does no one do trials anymore? :( or was that just a jailbreak/cydia thing..

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Why does no one do trials anymore? :( or was that just a jailbreak/cydia thing..

It's not allowed by Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/app-store/review/guidelines/#acceptable posted:

Acceptable
(iii) Disabling access to specific approved rental content (e.g. films, television programs, music, books) after the rental period has expired; all other items and services may not expire.

so you can't have a trial period, unless it's approved rental content. The idea is that the app must function the same on day one as it does throughout.

Some companies will offer 'lite' and 'full' versions, but again, they have to offer the full version functionality from day one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't recall them ever allowing trials. I think that was an Android thing (and even they may have rolled it back?). As noted, most developers get around this by offering a limited-function lite version and/or putting features behind IAP. I think the latter is becoming more common now that family sharing of apps exists.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use Airmail but I used Airmail on MacOS already. It's functionality pretty similar to Outlook so if you don't like outlook I'm not sure if Airmail will change your mind.

What's bugging you in outlook?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

This seems okay. I don't see a reason to abandon the consensus best Mint for Spendee. I appreciate the competition but Mint owns bones.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I don't like the outlook app

Spark...seems ok

Is airmail worth it before I drop the $5? Why does no one do trials anymore? :( or was that just a jailbreak/cydia thing..

I was a Spark user - and converted to the badly named 'Email - Fast & Secure mail' - it's a pain in the rear end to find in the appstore, it's made by Easilydo Inc.

I felt like Spark was sluggish, I'd get notifications, but message wouldnt' be there. I liked the interface fine. Email is better at all of this.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Michael Scott posted:

This seems okay. I don't see a reason to abandon the consensus best Mint for Spendee. I appreciate the competition but Mint owns bones.

I think mint requires or at least is designed to be linked to a bank account (I dunno, it's not available in NZ), which OP didn't want : - )

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Actually mint in poo poo and you should all be using YNAB now.

It can connect to bank accounts but you can also manually set up and manage everything. And while Mint does have some budget capacbilitoes, YNAB truly has you work with the budget itself across the month (and future month) so yeah you have money in your checking but you also have a ton of poo poo that's coming up that needs that money so you don't go "oh I have the money now".

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 3, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I don't need a budgeting app, and just use Mint to track financial activity and make sure I'm not doing anything too crazy.

If you actually need something to track budgeting rather than just give you a current snapshot and some trends, YNAB is better.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

As noted, most developers get around this by offering a limited-function lite version and/or putting features behind IAP. I think the latter is becoming more common now that family sharing of apps exists.

A good recent example of this is Super Mario Run, which allows the first world for free, but locks the rest of the game behind a :10bux: paywall. From what I've read, this may have backfired for Nintendo, since sales plummeted after the first few days and many people have complained about the lack of content provided during the "trial" and the "high" cost of unlocking all content (even though the game is super polished and most people have no issue paying 4-6 times as much for other Mario games on other platforms).

Edit: and thanks for the precious recommendation for buzzfeed news. I never thought I would praise anything associated with buzzfeed, but the news app seems to be top notch.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

What's bugging you in outlook?

I just don't think I'm power user enough to use all the functions. Calendar, etc. Just not a fan of the layout. I get it's intended audience, but I don't think I'm it

porktree posted:

I was a Spark user - and converted to the badly named 'Email - Fast & Secure mail' - it's a pain in the rear end to find in the appstore, it's made by Easilydo Inc.

I felt like Spark was sluggish, I'd get notifications, but message wouldnt' be there. I liked the interface fine. Email is better at all of this.

I think I've heard about this one. I was able to find it easy enough, I'll check it out, thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh cool, I just noticed GBoard lets you 3D touch anywhere on the keyboard to move the cursor now instead of just on the space bar. Nice.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

porktree posted:

Email is better at all of this.

Been using this a bit now and I quite like it, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Been using this a bit now and I quite like it, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

You're welcome - someone in this thread told me about it, it was a nice fit for me.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

empty baggie posted:

Edit: and thanks for the precious recommendation for buzzfeed news. I never thought I would praise anything associated with buzzfeed, but the news app seems to be top notch.

its the best breaking news app i have ever had - its amazingly good and not buzz-feedy at all

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

its the best breaking news app i have ever had - its amazingly good and not buzz-feedy at all

This is the 'BF News' app, right? I feel weird reading articles on BuzzFeed.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh cool, I just noticed GBoard lets you 3D touch anywhere on the keyboard to move the cursor now instead of just on the space bar. Nice.

That is awesome, thanks for pointing it out!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

BoyBlunder posted:

This is the 'BF News' app, right? I feel weird reading articles on BuzzFeed.

yep

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Any simple note-taking apps that have a black background and sync to iCloud?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Notability will let you select a black background and syncs to iCloud.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Bear is real good but costs $15/yr which is sorta a lot for a notes app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna keep track of my work hours better to ideally be able to put in 40 hours of "billable" (productive) work a week. What's a good app for that? Sweet Setup recommended Toggl Timer which looks nice but their website says I need to be a paying member to export my data which doesn't really sit right with me.

I'm not opposed to paying but I'd prefer if I didn't have to pay to export my data in case they go out of business and take everything with them. Apple watch integration would be nice, so would being able to track/view hours on a website. I was probably just going to make a workflow or ifttt button thing and sync to a google spreadsheet unless there's a nicer app for that.

Speaking of note taking apps above, is there one that will let me disable auto correct with a button without having to go into settings etc?

Also one more thing. I tried the Apple News app but deleted it after a few days because the news it gave me was just stupid. Sorry but poo poo about the "puppy bowl" and a congressman's son being grounded for doing a stupid thing that I didn't even know was a thing (that story about Paul Ryan's son "dabbing") is not and should not be a "breaking news."