Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

falz posted:

Interestingly it appears that when they get discs stamps they may give away a bunch of disc-only copies on http://freeturbodiscs.com/, but they're currently all out.

I requested and got a copy of Rockman for myself from PCE Works. Wouldn't mind a disc only copy of Rondo either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

falz posted:

Interesting, i'll look in to adjusting laser a bit more. I do see that you can get replacement new lasers for $20ish on Ebay still (model HOP-M3), may be the way to go.

Also, that website emailed back already- their discs are pressed if anyone is curious.

If anyone else is curious about these guys, aforementioned Gamesack notes are at these timestamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt27X2frjI&t=272s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt27X2frjI&t=1023s

Interestingly it appears that when they get discs stamps they may give away a bunch of disc-only copies on http://freeturbodiscs.com/, but they're currently all out.

Before messing with the laser, try better media. These work great on all my systems, including a Saturn which is really fussy with other brands.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00065DGYQ/

Edit: Since Taiyo Yudens and the like stopped being produced, I have a feeling the retro community is going to need to be pickier about CD-Rs. Newer drives are meant to read them and there's no incentive to keep quality up anymore.

azurite fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 31, 2016

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Thanks for the link, ordered!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Just some ideas:

Mahou Daisakusen/Sorcer Striker (you said you like Compile games, this is basically Compile AC)
any of the 90's Toaplan games (although beware Tatsujin Oh and V-V, they are notoriously difficult)
any of the NMK games (Thunder Dragon 2, GunNail, Rapid Hero, etc.)
R-Type Leo
something on Taito F3 hardware (Gunlock/Rayforce, Gekirindan, Darius Gaiden)
Raiden 2/DX (not really for noobs IMO but you can try)
Wing Force (a recently discovered prototype, it's quite good and on the easy side)
Air Gallet (blows your socks off)
Strikers 1945 (I think Psikyo games are way too hard but you might like it)

Yeah, that period seems to be a good time for shooters since most of the ones I've been sampling have something in them that make them interesting.

R-Type Leo I decided against since I got to the third stage on my first try. I really liked how it was playing, but it felt too easy. Thunder Dragon 2 also hit the too simple problem.

Rayforce I've played a fair amount of on Taito Memories so even though it's a completely awesome game that I wouldn't mind learning that well, I'm trying to start from effectively square one (which has been a big problem for me since I play a bit of literally everything).

Air Gallet is going on my short list because it's pretty drat crazy from the two credits I played. Gekirindan was pretty cool, too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

azurite posted:

Edit: Since Taiyo Yudens and the like stopped being produced, I have a feeling the retro community is going to need to be pickier about CD-Rs. Newer drives are meant to read them and there's no incentive to keep quality up anymore.

Is readable in some random older drive isn't really an indicator of quality. It's more of a happy accident when a particular dye formulation is both long term reliable and is also of a proper reflective character to work in Random Old Dying CD Drive Assembly #49.

This ends up being especially a hard thing to juggle when you deal with CD-RWs, although I guess we generally don't bother with using them these days because you don't really save much money with them.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
https://twitter.com/LemmingsPorts/status/813390833357647872

Because I haven't spent nearly enough money lately I just bought a physical copy of Lemmings: The Ports. The author is not selling it after the end of the year, so get on that if you're interested!

Looking through the PDF (as I should have done before purchase, heh) it's a good mix of thorough and concise, with a couple small paragraphs about each port and what makes them unique and/or garbage. Images of every level (except unique levels from later games like the PSP one) and spritesheets are included. Some grammar and punctuation issues crop up in a few places, annoyingly, but overall it's a great compendium of information for anyone looking to get the definitive Lemmings experience.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Please change thread title to "Definitive Lemmings Experience" tia

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

d0s posted:

go get a stack of blank CDs, there are tons of good dreamcast games and lots of them are expensive. I don't really know much about party games for the system but here are some dc games I like
(list of cool good game of Sega Dreamcast)

+ yu suzuki game works vol 1, i dont care if its a compilation it rules

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zand posted:

+ yu suzuki game works vol 1, i dont care if its a compilation it rules

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that, it's probably the best compilation of those particular games on a console you can hook to your TV

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Whats the best way to sell a whole collection? I have a lot of games (600+?) spanning multiple consoles. I'm not sure if I have the time right now to do the whole 1 at a time deal on sa mart or other forums.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Whats the best way to sell a whole collection? I have a lot of games (600+?) spanning multiple consoles. I'm not sure if I have the time right now to do the whole 1 at a time deal on sa mart or other forums.

See if there's someone in your town that sells stuff on eBay for commission that knows a lot about games. My dad retired earlier this year and sold off all the old games we left at his place doing this so he could move. Saved him a ton of time and got him more money than he would have otherwise gotten. I didn't buy or take th games from my parents because I had re-bought almost all of it since I moved out of my parents place over a decade ago.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't forget to set the time on all your consoles back one second because of the leap second.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Don't forget to set the time on all your consoles back one second because of the leap second.

Thanks for the reminder. Now all my consoles are set to January 1, 1997, one second ago.

Well except the Dreamcast who is eternally 9/9/99.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Big or small lots, only individually if your time is worth nothing.

Maybe start by doing a lot per console type and list here and see what interest you get.

Reason for selling?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ya, I'd love to see a list of what you have, at least.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I'm disappointed in Bangai-o Spirits. I played Bangai-o last week, thought it was awesome, and ordered the Nintendo DS sequel. And it shares little in common with the game I played beyond having a robot that shoots lots of missiles.

The thing is that this feels like Bangai-o Leftovers. It's stuff that would be a nice bonus mode on top of Bangai-o while as a stand alone game it just doesn't work. The fundamental problem with Spirits is that it's just a collection of levels; there's no progression, no developing skills at playing the game as things get more difficult. It's just pick one of these two hundred extremely basic stages (typically only a few screens large) and beat it. But to make up for things being small, they just throw a shitton of robots that fire at you just as fast as you fire in each level. Stages generally start with you getting shot by hundreds of missiles. Once you work out how to solve the initial barage you then have to figure out how to get your own shots through the enemy shots. Oh, and your goals are often to destroy machines that keep spawning these robots that fire dozens of missiles a second at you. The capper on all of that is getting hit both knocks you around and stuns you for a moment; so getting hit once tends to mean that you get bounced around by shots for several seconds.

So while Bangai-o Spirits has a complex weapon system, most of them are useless since you have to have a weapon loadout that can get through the screen of constant homing shots. A laser sword that can knock away projectiles is cool until you realize that you have to stand in one spot and chop constantly just to stay alive which means you can't get to the enemies to kill them.

Maybe there's good content buried in Bangai-O Spirits that I just haven't found, but I've played about dozen proper levels (stuff past the tutorials) and the puzzle levels are the only ones with any real variation. If this was a bonus mode after you finished the Dreamcast game it would be cool. It just doesn't make sense as its own game.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

The only thing I really liked about BangaiO Spirits was its method of level sharing via playing an audio track into the DS microphone.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I tried it from a couple of YouTube videos and couldn't get it to work, though I think the 3DS microphone is even crappier than the DS's which probably has something to do with it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

falz posted:

My Turbo Duo stopped reading CD-R's about 15 minutes after deciding to spend the day playing Dracula X.

And dammit, I then went to play Symphony of the Night on a PSX I bought a few years ago but had never used. Turns out I don't have a memory card and the only two stores open today that are nearby don't have them either. How dare they not stock 20 year old memory cards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

So I'm disappointed in Bangai-o Spirits. I played Bangai-o last week, thought it was awesome, and ordered the Nintendo DS sequel. And it shares little in common with the game I played beyond having a robot that shoots lots of missiles.

The thing is that this feels like Bangai-o Leftovers. It's stuff that would be a nice bonus mode on top of Bangai-o while as a stand alone game it just doesn't work. The fundamental problem with Spirits is that it's just a collection of levels; there's no progression, no developing skills at playing the game as things get more difficult. It's just pick one of these two hundred extremely basic stages (typically only a few screens large) and beat it. But to make up for things being small, they just throw a shitton of robots that fire at you just as fast as you fire in each level. Stages generally start with you getting shot by hundreds of missiles. Once you work out how to solve the initial barage you then have to figure out how to get your own shots through the enemy shots. Oh, and your goals are often to destroy machines that keep spawning these robots that fire dozens of missiles a second at you. The capper on all of that is getting hit both knocks you around and stuns you for a moment; so getting hit once tends to mean that you get bounced around by shots for several seconds.

So while Bangai-o Spirits has a complex weapon system, most of them are useless since you have to have a weapon loadout that can get through the screen of constant homing shots. A laser sword that can knock away projectiles is cool until you realize that you have to stand in one spot and chop constantly just to stay alive which means you can't get to the enemies to kill them.

Maybe there's good content buried in Bangai-O Spirits that I just haven't found, but I've played about dozen proper levels (stuff past the tutorials) and the puzzle levels are the only ones with any real variation. If this was a bonus mode after you finished the Dreamcast game it would be cool. It just doesn't make sense as its own game.

Its existence makes perfect sense given that Japan moved to mobile content years ago. It's an arcade puzzle game in bite sized form. I liked the core gameplay but there's no incentive to master the stages which is what you want out of an arcade puzzle game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Its existence makes perfect sense given that Japan moved to mobile content years ago. It's an arcade puzzle game in bite sized form. I liked the core gameplay but there's no incentive to master the stages which is what you want out of an arcade puzzle game.

That's fine, but there has to be some progression. You don't drop the player into the middle of a dozen guys firing hundreds of homing shots at them and say, "Now play!" (literally the first stage in the last after the tutorial). You give the player some steps of building challenge before doing that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

That's fine, but there has to be some progression. You don't drop the player into the middle of a dozen guys firing hundreds of homing shots at them and say, "Now play!" (literally the first stage in the last after the tutorial). You give the player some steps of building challenge before doing that.

I totally agree and I think that's where they ran up against the trouble of Bangai-O's design but also needing to make compartmentalized levels that get you in and out of the action in ~30 seconds.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Other people have chimed in on this, but I'd group and price the games by console they belong to and list them all at once in an SA mart thread. If there was an expensive individual games (like $100+) I'd perhaps separate those out. It'd be more work but you wouldn't have to take as big a hit trying to dump 600 games as one large lot. For example you could decide that gameboy games are going to have 15 carts to a lot and be $40 a lot or what ever the average worth is.

Or just do it auction style for all of them at once anyways, I recall someone did this semi on accident in SA mart a while back and did make out with just over a grand from the goon frenzy. (he posted his entire childhood game collection asking for offers not realizing that retro games are a thing now).

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Random Stranger posted:

Thanks for the reminder. Now all my consoles are set to January 1, 1997, one second ago.

Well except the Dreamcast who is eternally 9/9/99.

I was surprised this week when i took my launch gamecube out of the attic and found that it still had the date and time set. It's been up there at least 5 years.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

fruitpunch posted:

I was surprised this week when i took my launch gamecube out of the attic and found that it still had the date and time set. It's been up there at least 5 years.

Most non-chargeable clock batteries will last a good decade because of how little power the clock circuit draws from it. The Dreamcast one, however, will discharge to ground because it's a rechargeable coin battery pulling current from the AC adapter to keep itself going.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
I decided to give up on getting an NES classic because it's impossible but also because I have a Wii so why wouldn't I just use that instead. What's the most up to date guide on putting homebrew stuff on a Wii? I did it years ago but haven't been keeping up with things.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

helsabot posted:

I decided to give up on getting an NES classic because it's impossible but also because I have a Wii so why wouldn't I just use that instead. What's the most up to date guide on putting homebrew stuff on a Wii? I did it years ago but haven't been keeping up with things.

Pretty sure I used this site https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/ 6 months ago or so, not sure its 100% up to date but it worked and was pretty comprehensive. As for emulation the only thing I will say about the wii is the contorller is not great for it sadly. I ended up with a netbook running Lakka/retroarch and I prefer it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Then again, if you can get a Classic Controller Pro for it, that's an excellent gamepad choice and will serve you well far beyond just emulating NES games.

One thing I think emulators on the Wii don't do at all though is shaders, so if you're after those sweet scanlines, watch out, or use a CRT obviously.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

helsabot posted:

I decided to give up on getting an NES classic because it's impossible

I haven't been following the thing but is this actually true? What exactly is the deal with Nintendo advertising products and then being completely unable to meet demands, repeatedly? I mean you'd think they'd have a good idea of how much of a thing to produce by now

edit: also just hook a PC up to your TV and emulate whatever

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

d0s posted:

I haven't been following the thing but is this actually true? What exactly is the deal with Nintendo advertising products and then being completely unable to meet demands, repeatedly? I mean you'd think they'd have a good idea of how much of a thing to produce by now

If they had a good idea of what to produce they'd never have launched the Wii U. :laugh:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most non-chargeable clock batteries will last a good decade because of how little power the clock circuit draws from it. The Dreamcast one, however, will discharge to ground because it's a rechargeable coin battery pulling current from the AC adapter to keep itself going.

My Saturn never did very well with the battery. After it got packed up, I'd take it out once a year to play through Christmas NiGHTS, and without fail the battery would be dead and my saved game would be gone. I wound up backing up my saves to one of those extra RAM/Action Replay/Save Backup/etc. carts eventually. This was on both my original Saturn and the modded white one I replaced it with.

Thinking about it, my VMU almost never left the controller and would eat batteries too. I got used to the dead battery noise being part of my Dreamcast's power on sounds.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Then again, if you can get a Classic Controller Pro for it, that's an excellent gamepad choice and will serve you well far beyond just emulating NES games.

One thing I think emulators on the Wii don't do at all though is shaders, so if you're after those sweet scanlines, watch out, or use a CRT obviously.

You can also use some USB gamepads (not the 360 controller sadly)

edit: 360 dpad sucks so badly actually, so maybe not so sad. $3 SNES USB controller still working fine.

Kea fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TVs Ian posted:

Thinking about it, my VMU almost never left the controller and would eat batteries too. I got used to the dead battery noise being part of my Dreamcast's power on sounds.

Even the Dreamcast theme on the 3DS starts with the VMU's out-of-power beep, so I think everyone did :allears:.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

d0s posted:

It's not that they're unable to. I'm pretty sure they deliberately produce slightly less than they plan to sell to create this kind of ridiculous demand, typically.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I did it Random Stranger. I bought this traintroller.

Looking forward to doing badly at the hard train games this weekend!

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 2, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

TVs Ian posted:

The VMU at least only uses the battery for the hideously inefficient clock and minigame stuff, and all saves are done to flash instead of something battery backed.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not that they're unable to. I'm pretty sure they deliberately produce slightly less than they plan to sell to create this kind of ridiculous demand, typically.

Shades of the old Zelda 2 "chip shortage". 12 year-old me is still salty over that.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I heard a rumor that Nintendo execs get a bonus for "selling out" as opposed to sales goals which is just :psyduck:.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I bet we'll be seeing more Classic Mini's now that the holiday rush is over. Which will be worth it just to see the prices on ebay plunge. :getin: Eat poo poo, ebay flippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

I did it Random Stranger. I bought this traintroller.

Looking forward to doing badly at the hard train games this weekend!

A good choice. Now drive that train like a pro.

Which game are you playing, BTW?

• Locked thread