Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.governing.com/blogs/politics/gov-democrat-howard-deans-fifty-state-strategy.html

quote:

Before we crunch the numbers, we should note that the patterns below can't be linked exclusively to Dean's 50-state project. After all, the Democrats experienced two of their strongest election cycles during that time. They benefited from a strong congressional tailwind in 2006 and a winning presidential candidacy in 2008. Meanwhile, the numbers began to turn negative during the midterm election of 2010, a Republican rout.

That said, the patterns are suggestive. In the 20 states we looked at -- those that have voted solidly Republican in recent presidential races -- Democratic candidates chalked up modest successes, despite the difficult political terrain. Then, after the project stopped, Democratic success rates cratered.

The 20 states we looked at are Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming. We excluded any state that has voted Democratic in recent presidential contests or was considered potentially competitive for the Democrats, even if the state ultimately sided with the GOP (such as Arizona and Missouri).

Here's how the Democrats fared in the reddest of red states between January 2005 and January 2009, the period when the 50-state project was in operation:
  • State House seats: Net gain of 39 seats, a 2 percent increase of all seats in the states analyzed
  • State Senate seats: Net loss of two seats
  • Governorships: Net loss of one
  • Attorney generalships: Net gain of one (elected seats only)
  • U.S. House seats: Net gain of three seats
  • U.S. Senate seats: Net gain of one seat
  • Presidential performance: In 15 of the 20 states, the Democratic nominee saw an increase in vote share between 2004 and 2008. In three other states, the vote share remained constant. It dropped in only two states.

"Where we really made a big difference was in states like Nebraska, where Obama won an electoral vote in 2008," Dean said. "He had a real party to work with."

Overall, Democrats either improved their results in the reddest states between 2005 and 2009 or, at worst, suffered only minor setbacks, which, given the obstacles the party faced in these solidly Republican states, was almost a victory in its own right.

Now let's compare this record to the one between January 2009 and January 2013.

• State House seats: Net loss of 249 seats, a decrease of 13 percent of the existing seats in those states
  • State Senate seats: Net loss of 84 seats, a decrease of 12 percent
  • Governorships: A decrease by half, from eight governors to four
  • Attorney generalships: A drop by two-thirds in elected AGs, from nine to three
  • U.S. House seats: A 40 percent drop, from 44 seats to 26
  • U.S. Senate seats: A drop from 11 seats to 8. (It could drop further by 2014: Of those eight remaining seats, three senators are retiring and another three face tough reelection contests.)
  • Presidential performance: Only two of the 20 states (Alaska and Mississippi) saw higher support for Obama in 2012 than in 2008. In most of the 20 solidly red states, Obama's 2012 vote fell back roughly to John Kerry's level from 2004.
Altogether, these post-2009 declines are, to put it bluntly, pretty catastrophic. In these 20 solidly red states, the Democrats controlled 13 legislative chambers in 2005, a number that fell to just three in 2013. Of the 40 chambers in these states, only two experienced a net gain of Democratic seats between 2005 and 2013; in the other 38, the Democrats lost ground.

And because state legislative seats and lower statewide offices provide the "bench" for future runs for governor and Congress, these developments could prompt a self-perpetuating death spiral for the party in these states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Concerned Citizen posted:

if you don't know poo poo about how campaign financing or state parties work, why do you keep posting about it like it's your job. i literally do not understand how you are totally incapable of understanding that state parties do not elect downballot tickets, or that our downballot ticket was far better financed than the GOP this year

Source?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I for one, am glad that Canada's genocide is getting the attention it deserves.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
First Things First: Democrats own up to how much they hosed up. This means stop defending the DNC, stop defending Clinton, stop defending the brilliant strategy of "not needing to win anything." Cause if we don't own up, we can't fix it. If we don't realize how lovely our strategy is, we'll stumble into it again and again.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grondoth posted:

First Things First: Democrats own up to how much they hosed up. This means stop defending the DNC, stop defending Clinton, stop defending the brilliant strategy of "not needing to win anything." Cause if we don't own up, we can't fix it. If we don't realize how lovely our strategy is, we'll stumble into it again and again.

Hillary campaign was a success since she raised more money than Trump and won the popular vote.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
"bernie would have won" is the leftist equivalent of "but hillary won the popular vote"

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

"bernie would have won" is the leftist equivalent of "but hillary won the popular vote"

Yes, but Bernie would've won.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Aurubin posted:

bernie sanders lost to hillary rodham clinton lamo

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
Donna Brazile also played a central part in two elections where Dems won the popular vote and lost the EV.

This time, she couldn't have hosed things up worse: refusing to learn her lesson from '00, she was worried about the "PR nightmare" of losing the popular vote and winning the EV, so she poured resources into increasing turnout in NoLa and Chicago while Michigan and Wisconsin starved.
Time to retire, Donna.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

bernie sanders lost to hillary rodham clinton lamo

Alternatively, he beat Jim Webb. Chafee lost all by himself.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Aurubin posted:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Nameless_Steve posted:

Donna Brazile also played a central part in two elections where Dems won the popular vote and lost the EV.

This time, she couldn't have hosed things up worse: refusing to learn her lesson from '00, she was worried about the "PR nightmare" of losing the popular vote and winning the EV, so she poured resources into increasing turnout in NoLa and Chicago while Michigan and Wisconsin starved.
Time to retire, Donna.

Good news

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Aurubin posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nerses IV posted:

Jesus what did you do man

That's the weirdest part, I have no idea

HorseRenoir posted:

technically correct, doesn't accomplish much, but makes you feel better saying it

yup checks out

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nameless_Steve posted:

Time to retire, Donna.

Unfortunately in the DNC Pablo and Zach are the exception not the norm.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Sort of. Both of them are messages of hope; one says "yeah but more people voted for Clinton" the other says "we HAD a candidate that would win." However, one implicitly wants things to stay the way they are in the Democratic party. Hillary didn't lose, she won! It's the electoral college, it's how we do elections, it's that people out of the big cities count for too much. The other demands change from within: the party nominated a loser, there's power and momentum in the Bernie wing, if the Democrats align themselves with these forces they can win because they could've won.

Essentially, one blames the outside while the other blames the inside. One narrative says "it's because of the way things are set up" while the other says "it's because we nominated the wrong candidate." Bernie would've won is healthy, it provides a clear direction for the self and party. "Hillary won the popular vote" is unhealthy. It sets you against systems that are outside of your immediate control and embitters you to the whole process. It re-enforces the terrible Democratic narrative that only some places in the country really matter, and makes you mad at the places that 1: you need to win over and 2: we actually want to help.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

^^^ this, one mantra says "we should take this course of action" and the other says "here's why we don't have to do anything at all *fiddles while Rome burns*"

I recant my last post, my excuse is that I'm tired and hung over

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
another big difference is 'hillary won the popular vote' is a true fact that means nothing and 'bernie would have won' is a fanfic idea that means nothing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tatum Girlparts posted:

another big difference is 'hillary won the popular vote' is a true fact that means nothing and 'bernie would have won' is a fanfic idea that means nothing

she lost and bernie would have won tho

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Sort of. Both of them are messages of hope; one says "yeah but more people voted for Clinton" the other says "we HAD a candidate that would win." However, one implicitly wants things to stay the way they are in the Democratic party. Hillary didn't lose, she won! It's the electoral college, it's how we do elections, it's that people out of the big cities count for too much. The other demands change from within: the party nominated a loser, there's power and momentum in the Bernie wing, if the Democrats align themselves with these forces they can win because they could've won.

Essentially, one blames the outside while the other blames the inside. One narrative says "it's because of the way things are set up" while the other says "it's because we nominated the wrong candidate." Bernie would've won is healthy, it provides a clear direction for the self and party. "Hillary won the popular vote" is unhealthy. It sets you against systems that are outside of your immediate control and embitters you to the whole process. It re-enforces the terrible Democratic narrative that only some places in the country really matter, and makes you mad at the places that 1: you need to win over and 2: we actually want to help.

That's an extremely generous assessment of what really comes across as a bunch of (deserved) bitterness toward Hillary.

I mean, I want to think you're right about this. But I don't really believe that 90% of the people who are shouting BERNIE WOULD HAVE WON are really shouting GO TEAM.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, Bernie might not have won.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

"Hillary tried and failed to play mind games with a mentally ill circus peanut" is also a fact

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

anime was right posted:

she lost and bernie would have won tho

Bernie would have campaigned in Wisconsin

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

etalian posted:

Bernie would have campaigned in Wisconsin

This I cannot possibly argue with.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Bernie Would Have Tried"

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Doesn't matter because he didn't prevail at the first bottleneck

Dean would've won but you don't see me yelling at Kerry about it

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think, Obama should run in 2020 and prove he can beat Trump!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

fits my needs posted:

This but Malik Obama

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fits my needs posted:

I reckon we won't have a Constitution by then anyway, so why the gently caress not

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

logikv9 posted:

This but Malik Obama

...also yes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't know if bernie would have won, but if he got the nomination and LOST the SCREECHING FROM THE HILL FOLK would be utterly unbearable

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

"Hillary tried and failed to play mind games with a mentally ill circus peanut" is also a fact

dont doxx early 2018 me

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

logikv9 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXKn3ZmxEfs

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Aw yeah that hits the spot

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baloogan posted:

I don't know if bernie would have won, but if he got the nomination and LOST the SCREECHING FROM THE HILL FOLK would be utterly unbearable

I'm glad he didn't get the VP pick, so he would not be associated with her failed very sad campaign in any way.

Instead she went with bland Stepdad for her VP pick

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Actually, after watching O.J. Simpson: Made in America last night, I think O.J. should run in 2020. He has a chance to get released this year!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ill tell ya i knew absolutely knew for certain that kanye wasn't going to be vp

beyond a shadow of a doubt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

pretty much, every race has someone on the losing side you can make a case for having a better shot than the loser did. It literally means nothing because all you're actually saying is 'I like this person more, and assume everyone else does too'. Dean would have probably won, Newt probably would have had a better run against 2012 Obama, in fairness I don't think Jesus himself could save the Republicans from a loss in 08 but pretty much all around these cases exist.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

docbeard posted:

That's an extremely generous assessment of what really comes across as a bunch of (deserved) bitterness toward Hillary.

I mean, I want to think you're right about this. But I don't really believe that 90% of the people who are shouting BERNIE WOULD HAVE WON are really shouting GO TEAM.

Well, yeah. But "Bernie Would Have Won" provides a real path forward compared to "Hillary Won The Popular Vote." If you internalize one of these phrases, the actions one demands and the feelings it engenders are far more positive than the other.

We SHOULD be bitter at the Clinton wing, at Hillary's Campaign, at the DNC's strategy over the last few years. Not only cause it sucked, but because that is something that can be targeted and improved. Being bitter at the electoral college and at voters is way way less useful. Changing the constitution is completely out of the left's reach for the foreseeable future. Getting mad at people who didn't vote for your candidate is less than useless, because you're mad at the exact people you need to be reaching out to(not I said didn't vote for, not vote against, so if someone says WAHT WE NEED TO COURT RACISTS NOW there's a very clear distinction).

I'm not saying one is an enlightened phrase uttered from mountaintop sages, I'm saying that one can help us while the other hurts us.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 21:24 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

pretty much, every race has someone on the losing side you can make a case for having a better shot than the loser did. It literally means nothing because all you're actually saying is 'I like this person more, and assume everyone else does too'. Dean would have probably won, Newt probably would have had a better run against 2012 Obama, in fairness I don't think Jesus himself could save the Republicans from a loss in 08 but pretty much all around these cases exist.

I don't know that I agree with this point.

• Locked thread