Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

edit: some other speeds

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 31, 2016

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

This is amazing.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Absolutely fantastic work.

Edit: loving lol just realized where the picture came from.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 31, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Someone needs to make a butts or nabreeki video with this song

https://soundcloud.com/the-a-3/lossy-you-whos-guiding-me

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

hakimashou posted:

Someone needs to make a butts or nabreeki video with this song

https://soundcloud.com/the-a-3/lossy-you-whos-guiding-me

I'll see if I can knock this out.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Hey all. I want to play Space Walk. I once played Space Walk With Goons, but then life happened. When I went to make a character again, now there are FOUR factions. What is different about the TOS faction? Is it worth trying over a Starfleet character?

Also, is PVP still dead?

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

SoUncool posted:

Hey all. I want to play Space Walk. I once played Space Walk With Goons, but then life happened. When I went to make a character again, now there are FOUR factions. What is different about the TOS faction? Is it worth trying over a Starfleet character?
They have five unique starting missions, for the rest of the game they're basically the same as a normal fed. If you're going to make a new character you may as well try it.

SoUncool posted:

Also, is PVP still dead?
Yes.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 1, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TOS Starfleet also lets you make OG piggyfaced Tellarites if that's your gig.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Also Romulans aren't an actual faction and after a bunch of space elf missions you join either the KDF or Fed scum regardless.

Happy New Year, nerds.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SoUncool posted:

Also, is PVP still dead?
Yes. Also, the rest of the game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Yes. Also, the rest of the game.

Hey those queues pop all the time for Crystalline Entity and

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Aleth posted:

Also Romulans aren't an actual faction and after a bunch of space elf missions you join either the KDF or Fed scum regardless.
Well, after those missions, most people join one or the other. There is a way to not join either, by never doing the mission that makes you pick.

Of course, this locks every other mission away, but there are still ways to get to level 60 and deal with an even more broken game by not picking. :v:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Lorak posted:

Well, after those missions, most people join one or the other. There is a way to not join either, by never doing the mission that makes you pick.

Of course, this locks every other mission away, but there are still ways to get to level 60 and deal with an even more broken game by not picking. :v:

Has anyone ever done this then tried to go into one of the warzones to see if everyone is red to you?

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

18 Character Limit posted:

Has anyone ever done this then tried to go into one of the warzones to see if everyone is red to you?

Should ask ColonelMarik. He refused to leave the 23rd century and completely broke his game. Pretty sure he's tried to do that as well.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lorak posted:

Yeah. You can generally get into featured missions but those often break as well.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
In an MMO, people always try to find stupid ways around levelling properly. See WoW and Pandaria and SWTOR's Advance Classes

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DonDoodles posted:

Should ask ColonelMarik. He refused to leave the 23rd century and completely broke his game. Pretty sure he's tried to do that as well.

This sounds totally hilarious and I hope we hear more.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

McSpanky posted:

This sounds totally hilarious and I hope we hear more.

Marik is one of those people who needs total immersion or he flips out. Before the devs put in the party nullifier, Marik would be on the forums venting that the "forced dance" made him feel completely violated, and would claim that dancing in STO was the same as IRL sexual assault. Lately he's been breaking his game in spectacular ways because the game "as intended" is immersion-breaking. When he made a 23rd Century toon, he played the same four missions over and over again until he literally could not beat them with his Tier 1 ship. He then freaked out on the forums:

ColonelMarik posted:

So... I created a 23c character, because I love the original series. THAT is the Star Trek I grew up with, and playing in that era is a delight.

However, I've now leveled to the point (doing the same three missions over and over ad nauseam) that I can no longer DO the missions, trapped as I am in a tier 1 ship. I can fly the Pioneer, or I can fly the tier 1 Constitution. NEITHER is capable of taking on multiple Romulan ships, let alone Na'kul ships, so I'm left with only one mission - Babel.

But, I saw a light and got a mission from Daniels at Galornden Core to defeat a doomsday machine. Ok, careful flying around had the machine killing off the enemy ships for me, so I was able to zoom in at full impulse and shut it down. On leaving that mission, I found myself in the 25c zone. So, I set course for Sol to see if I could get some gear to better equip my ship. It's still going to be tier 1, but maybe I could make it more viable.

However, I couldn't go ANYWHERE. I couldn't enter Sol, Sierra, Drozana, K7... not even Vulcan or Risa.

So, I feel I'm stuck. I want to play a 23c character. That was the POINT of creating him. Now, I'm stuck with precious little content, and content I can no longer DO because there's no way to improve on my ship. I know, I know. I can spend real money and buy a ship from the store. However, since I'm unlikely to be using that ship in the future (because I'll outlevel it), I'm not about to waste money on something I'm not going to be using.

Of course, there's also the fact that I am a STAR TREK fan, and want to carry on in the ship from STAR TREK: The Constitution class.

However, there's only the tier 1 ship, or the unicorn-rare tier 6 ship. Since I can't GET the tier 6 ship (and couldn't use it anyway, being a Commander), I'm trapped again in the tier 1 ship.

So what do I do? I can't play in the 23c zone anymore, and I can't play in the 25c zone unless I give up my 23c ship and setting.

Marik posting about his intricate Character bios:

Marik on the inconvenience of going to his bridge via dropdown menu:

ColonelMarik posted:

I go back and forth to my bridge quite a lot. It's my habit to write a Captain's Log after every mission and report in from the bridge. I find the need to go to the little dropdown menu a bit tedious and inconvenient, so I wondered if there was a slash command I could bind to a key that would let me go directly there without need for the menu.

Two posts from Marik on how he can't beat the Romulan story arc:

Marik posted:

So, I've been playing my TOS character, and I've come to New Romulus. I've been trying to do the Mountain Pass mission, but I find it impossible to do. The reason is the endless stream of Romulan Subcommanders spamming Hyperonic Radiation.

I mean, it's bad enough trying to defeat them when they're all nearly immune to all my attacks while doing 5 times as much damage as I can do, but the Hyperonic Radiation effect is an instant defeat effect. Even if my BO healing character immediately uses a heal on me, the radiation does around 300 damage per pulse and it pulses for at least 10 seconds. That's 3000 damage to characters with around 600 health, with no way to get rid of it, no way to heal enough to survive it...

I don't remember it being this way when I first did New Romulus on my original character. Did something get changed? As it stands, I can't proceed at all because one subcommander will wipe out my whole team almost instantly, no matter what I do. Throw in two centurions and assorted uhlans, and there's no way to make any progress.

More rage

Marik posted:

Ok, it's been a long while since I did the New Romulus and related rep missions, so I don't know if it was always like this.

Over the last little while, I took my TOS Captain through the New Romulus episode chain. The missions were frustrating to say the least, with endless Subcommander Scientists with their guaranteed kill hyperonic radiation power that nearly instantly wipes my whole team (and this on NORMAL). So, I was glad to put that **** behind me.

Tonight I got to tier 2 in the New Romulus rep, and was told to listen to a shuttle recording. To my dismay, I found (after searching around for an hour) that the shuttle in question is in the Mountain Base INSTANCE, and the only way to get to it is to spend another 2 hours being wiped over and over and over by magic Subcommanders. So, I do it. The mission finishes and the popup says to leave the base. I do so, and go to the quest guy at the mouth of the pass, and turn in the mission. However, it doesn't complete the recording mission, it still says Submit Recording. But the quest guy won't allow me to DO that.

So after asking in chat, I'm told I had to do it IN the Base.

And now I'm TICKED OFF. First of all, if there's an objective in the base, the mission shouldn't end BEFORE IT'S DONE. Second, the turn in point for a mission shouldn't be at the end of a mission in an INSTANCE. Third, if there is an objective on a map, it should have some INDICATION on the map. Most often there's a white circle.

I'm REALLY ticked off that I have to go through that whole goddamn mission AGAIN. It wasn't fun the first time. It was paradoxically even LESS fun the second time. Doing it a third time is going to tempt me to punch my monitor.

Move the "Submit Recording" objective OUTSIDE the instance.

It even makes more sense that way. Why would I use the Tal Shiar's computer to submit the message? How about reporting to the Staging Area and reporting to the Admiral there, or the Foreman?

FIX THIS

Marik threads are almost always worth a read, as they usually have an amazing combination of anger, incompetency, and TOTAL IMMERSION.

Zoerp
Sep 29, 2012

Lord of the Seas
Couldn't he just have someone call him a trade freighter with exchange access using that item everyone gets at level 1?

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Sad day.

I'll just dump it in NoP in his name, I'm not going to go through the effort required to give this junk away.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

fakemirage posted:

Sad day.

I'll just dump it in NoP in his name, I'm not going to go through the effort required to give this junk away.

:rip:

We can still milk the players into thinking we can actually donate it though.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Cest la vie. It's only 50k dil anyway. That's a week tops. I'm sure the pubbies will understand.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
NoP upgrade is gonna need like 2mil dil in a day so toss that drop in that bucket I guess.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Lagomorphic posted:

NoP upgrade is gonna need like 2mil dil in a day so toss that drop in that bucket I guess.
The CM helped build NoP, that's all that matters.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

fakemirage posted:

The CM helped build NoP, that's all that matters.

New CM isn't very communicative in general. Surprised you got that much of a response from him. We were spoiled with Trendy.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
To be fair he came in just before the holidays and has had easy access to alcohol so he's probably been sloshed since day 1.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Tensions remain high on the forums; it looks like the biography thread is about to blow.

Nabreeki posted:

Very interesting and original insult; can't wait to see what your bio is like!

To be clear: I don't think bios should be removed, but on the contrary, they should be a mandatory part of character creation. Everyone should have a bio, but it should be limited to 140 characters or less for the following reasons:

1. Easier to spot undesirables without reading paragraphs of drivel.

2. Removes lots of boring cliches: orphaned, sold into slavery/prostitution, youngest _____ to graduate/get promoted to/put in command of/etc. If people manage to fit these into 140 characters, my first point applies.

3. Better writing. Long-winded, wordy nonsense from wannabe writers (hacks) trying horribly to add some purple prose to bad writing would not be tolerated.

lexusk19 posted:

Oh you people know, you spread around my personal info left and right. Stalk me in and out of game. And how dare people enjoy the game how they want, it should be the narrow minded intolerant way you see the world. Your organization is nothing better then intolerant hateful cancer. Good day.

Who is lexusk19 again?

lordsteve1 posted:

I'd imagine 99% of players never read anyone else's character bios.
And even if (as @nabreeki wishes) they were mandatory and limited to x character, what's to stop some "undesirable" simply lying in their bio? It's not like they have to tell the truth or have a load of text telling the world what they are really all about is it?

And the thing I think is really pretty troubling is that certain people seem to be of the opinion that rather than just reporting those doing wrong and breaking rules, they should be allowed to watch us all as if they are some sort of secret police organisation. I really don't think having some sort of Stasi like organisation to keep watch over all the players like these players think they are part of is something that needs to be encouraged.

Thread link: http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1226734/biography/p1

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Welcome to STO, new CM guy.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

quote:

Is there any thread that Nabreeki and his brigade won't derail?​​

Darthmeow posted:

Derailing a thread is an action, and I reserve the right to criticize actions I feel are negative. The moderators reserve that right as well and to remove comments and ban posters whom they feel are disruptive or in violation of the rules. Stating that an individual and said individual's group of friends have displayed a pattern of derailing threads when one can look at threads that have been closed due to such just in the past week is not an ad hominem attack, it is a simple statement of fact.​

Darthmeow posted:

Calling players "undesirables" and expressing a wish to eliminate or severely restrict the character biography section in order to sanction those "undesirables" is derailing the thread. No one here is a moderator or GM, if someone places inappropriate content in the text box in question the appropriate response is simply to report said individual and leave any further action to the proper in-game authorities.​​

Edit: RIP new forum sig.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 3, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aleth posted:

To be fair he came in just before the holidays and has had easy access to alcohol so he's probably been sloshed since day 1.

A good course of action and the best way to cope with the STO brown sea if you have that role.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

Who is lexusk19 again?
Rekkoff, he's been showing up in random threads to bash Dental for some time now.

DonDoodles posted:

Edit: RIP new forum sig.
So much heartbreak in so little time.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Ah rekoff. He's member of that weird ERP fleet "Dark Pleasures." I think Spider bite has made it his mission to "run them out of the game", so who knows what's been happening there.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DonDoodles posted:

Marik is one of those people who needs total immersion or he flips out. Before the devs put in the party nullifier, Marik would be on the forums venting that the "forced dance" made him feel completely violated, and would claim that dancing in STO was the same as IRL sexual assault. Lately he's been breaking his game in spectacular ways because the game "as intended" is immersion-breaking. When he made a 23rd Century toon, he played the same four missions over and over again until he literally could not beat them with his Tier 1 ship. He then freaked out on the forums:

Marik posting about his intricate Character bios:

Marik on the inconvenience of going to his bridge via dropdown menu:

Two posts from Marik on how he can't beat the Romulan story arc:

More rage

Marik threads are almost always worth a read, as they usually have an amazing combination of anger, incompetency, and TOTAL IMMERSION.

This is more amazing than I possibly could have anticipated. Playing three missions over and over again until he breaks the game, a 300-page LOTRO bio, the worst ground player ever :roflolmao:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Let me tell you about my MMO character background *pulls out several four ring binders stuffed with illegible hand written notes*

No wait come back.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
You're meant to chloroform and tie them up first, stupid.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
chloroform can take up to 5 minutes to have an effect, you'll need something faster acting.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Imagine spending three hours having your entire team wiped out by a single romulan subcommander.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

I can. I remember playing STO at launch. Two healers would have enough HP and rezzes that you could very well throw yourself against the wall for hours.

• Locked thread