Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

Fortunately the new world spawned in such a way that 2 trade routes go to an Alaskan-type trade node which funnels straight into Japan, so I think I'll keep my trade capital in Nihon and collect in the spice islands.
It'll be better to dominate the spice islands and move your trade capital there. Then you can funnel everything in Japan to the spice islands and take advantage of the added wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I'm playing this seriously again after not playing since Art of war, and boy they added a lot!

I'm playing as Austria and had some questions about the reformation. Is there a way to stop the spread of Protestantism? I assume it can be done by taking out the centers of reformation? Also, how exactly does the league war work?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

James The 1st posted:

I'm playing this seriously again after not playing since Art of war, and boy they added a lot!

I'm playing as Austria and had some questions about the reformation. Is there a way to stop the spread of Protestantism? I assume it can be done by taking out the centers of reformation? Also, how exactly does the league war work?

Yeah, the only way to stop or slow the Reformation is to convert the Centers of Reformation which is easier said than done. If a CoR spawns in a one-province minor nation, you can just fabricate a claim, declare war on them and force religion which will flip their capital province, that's the easiest way to erase a CoR. The more difficult way is to conquer the CoR yourself, wait for the Religious Zeal (impossible to convert for iirc 20-30 years) modifier to clear, then send a missionary to convert it yourself. But note it will have -5% missionary strength as a religious center.

I forget the exact timing on Leagues and the League War, but it's something like 20-30 years after the Reformation starts the Leagues will be enabled. As Austria and presumably the Emperor, you'll lead the Catholic league by default and nations will join one side or another. Once the Leagues are enabled, the leader of the Protestants has ~20 years to declare a League War on you. As leader of the Catholic League you can't start a League War yourself, so you'll just want to maintain strong alliances and not leave yourself in a weak position. If the twenty years go by without the Protestants declaring a war, the Catholics win by default. If there is a League War it's usually pretty continent-spanning and big, whichever side wins enforces their religion on the HRE. If it's a white peace you get the Peace of Westphalia and any religion can become Emperor.

edit: so basically as Austria, try and conquer as many CoRs as feasible, you have a +2% missionary strength NI so converting them shouldn't be too difficult. Otherwise just wait out the Leagues and keep expanding outside the HRE.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 2, 2017

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

I forget the exact timing on Leagues and the League War, but it's something like 20-30 years after the Reformation starts the Leagues will be enabled. As Austria and presumably the Emperor, you'll lead the Catholic league by default and nations will join one side or another. Once the Leagues are enabled, the leader of the Protestants has ~20 years to declare a League War on you. As leader of the Catholic League you can't start a League War yourself, so you'll just want to maintain strong alliances and not leave yourself in a weak position. If the twenty years go by without the Protestants declaring a war, the Catholics win by default. If there is a League War it's usually pretty continent-spanning and big, whichever side wins enforces their religion on the HRE. If it's a white peace you get the Peace of Westphalia and any religion can become Emperor.

edit: so basically as Austria, try and conquer as many CoRs as feasible, you have a +2% missionary strength NI so converting them shouldn't be too difficult. Otherwise just wait out the Leagues and keep expanding outside the HRE.

Couple notes to consider about this also. League only forms if at least one elector is protestant (maybe reformed works too? I can't remember). If someone joins the other side of the league as you then your alliance will break. As Austria you don't have any options, but as someone looking from the outside, keep it in mind.

edit: yeah, a reformed elector can't trigger the leagues, needs to be protestant and not a subject

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2017

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

If a CoR spawns in a one-province minor nation, you can just fabricate a claim, declare war on them and force religion which will flip their capital province, that's the easiest way to erase a CoR.

It doesn't have to be an OPM, the capital of a small nation will work too. But yeah, it takes luck.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So as someone just starting this, is there a good first nation to play to get a feel for things?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Azhais posted:

So as someone just starting this, is there a good first nation to play to get a feel for things?

The Ottoman Empire or Castille are good first choices. Portugal is a very laid back game if you want to explore the colonial/trade portions of the game more.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Beamed posted:

The Ottoman Empire or Castille are good first choices. Portugal is a very laid back game if you want to explore the colonial/trade portions of the game more.

I'd definitely say the Ottomans. Castille is easy but a new player might have trouble expanding and dealing with France. You can't go wrong with the Ottomans, just take Humanist ideas and do whatever you want.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This gets asked sometimes, but I never pay attention: What are some good visual mods, or UI enhancers? I got given a pretty sizeable computer monitor for Christmas, so I'm looking for a few suggestions to really get the most out of this incredible 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If a CK2 game went crazy enough and there was no Catholicism left, would Reformation not fire in the EU4 conversion?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

This gets asked sometimes, but I never pay attention: What are some good visual mods, or UI enhancers? I got given a pretty sizeable computer monitor for Christmas, so I'm looking for a few suggestions to really get the most out of this incredible 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Thick borders and transparent political map mode.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Orv posted:

If a CK2 game went crazy enough and there was no Catholicism left, would Reformation not fire in the EU4 conversion?

Reformation can only happen in provinces that are Catholic once reform desire is greater than 95%, so I would guess that you'd even need some minimum number of Catholic countries in order to achieve critical mass for the reformation to fire.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fun fact, playing a custom nation in a CK2 converted game opens up all the crazy heresies to play as. But that might screw up the reformation. Who knows!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Fun fact, playing a custom nation in a CK2 converted game opens up all the crazy heresies to play as. But that might screw up the reformation. Who knows!

Does that converter get updated regularly when the game gets patched? Seems like it'd be a major pain to keep working.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Not regularly but every so often they will do another pass at it. Most recently was for Rights of Man, I believe (at the very least they added the immortal trait that CK2 characters can have as a trait in EUIV so your god-king can live until 1820).

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Elman posted:

I'd definitely say the Ottomans. Castille is easy but a new player might have trouble expanding and dealing with France. You can't go wrong with the Ottomans, just take Humanist ideas and do whatever you want.

I would say Religious is better than Humanist, the Dhimmi are annoying and Deus Vult is always the right choice. Religious ideas also make culture converting cheaper and faster, which can be handy when you optimize territories.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
Does anyone know how to form the Netherlands and stay in the H.R.E.? I've seen the A.I. do it but I can't seem to figure it out.

Also, hi.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

tqilamknbrd posted:

Does anyone know how to form the Netherlands and stay in the H.R.E.? I've seen the A.I. do it but I can't seem to figure it out.

Also, hi.

be an elector

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

I would say Religious is better than Humanist, the Dhimmi are annoying and Deus Vult is always the right choice. Religious ideas also make culture converting cheaper and faster, which can be handy when you optimize territories.
Humanist is good as Ottomans because they can conquer so fast in so many directions and Humanist pretty much removes revolts from the game. You dont need Religious to convert provinces and taking it just for the CB seems a bit much.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Humanist is good as Ottomans because they can conquer so fast in so many directions and Humanist pretty much removes revolts from the game. You dont need Religious to convert provinces and taking it just for the CB seems a bit much.

The CB can be pretty great for AE reduction - you're taking some very high-value provinces from some very angry people, and even as the Ottomans, a coalition war can be bad news. It doesn't make any sense that Europe is less angry with you because it's a holy war, but EUIV

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

well one of them is a scribbled note saying "this land is ours actually" vs a scribbled note saying "this land is theirs actually - love god"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That's not really an argument for religious vs humanist since the latter has better relations over time.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

The CB can be pretty great for AE reduction - you're taking some very high-value provinces from some very angry people, and even as the Ottomans, a coalition war can be bad news. It doesn't make any sense that Europe is less angry with you because it's a holy war, but EUIV

I wouldn't normally recommend going Humanist first, but for a new player? Sure. They're not gonna blob super hard, which means they don't need Religion's superior CB (fabricating claims and the Ottomans' missions should be enough). Managing rebels, however, could be a big problem.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Elman posted:

I wouldn't normally recommend going Humanist first, but for a new player? They're not gonna blob super hard, so they don't need Religion's superior CB (fabricating claims and the Ottomans' missions should be enough), or Administrative's cheaper coring. Managing rebels, however, could be a big problem.

I think it just depends on which problem you want to solve. Rebelsplosion and coalition warfare are both nasty surprises the first time they happen to a new player, and the Ottomans are susceptible to both. I do agree that Humanism is probably the better choice, with the caveat that a new player should always mouse over the aggressive expansion.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
As a rule of thumb, when is a good time to move your trade capital? In my last Russia game I considered moving to Danzig, but I wasn't sure I had enough Baltic trade power to justify it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Don't forget that Holy War saves an immense amount of Diplo points as well. While not as valuable, the savings can be drastic when scooping up large swaths of land. This is even more important for the Ottomans, as you should be doing a lot of Diplo annexing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xinder posted:

be an elector

Or the emperor.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

I wouldn't normally recommend going Humanist first, but for a new player? Sure. They're not gonna blob super hard, which means they don't need Religion's superior CB (fabricating claims and the Ottomans' missions should be enough). Managing rebels, however, could be a big problem.

This exactly. Religious is nearly always the superior choice, because enforcing religious unity on your provinces makes you more stable in the long term. But for a new player, yeah take Humanist, and just watch out for Coalitions, and don't exceed 100% over-extension.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I don't think Religious is a very good early choice for Ottomans due to the massive amount of claims you get from missions. Humanist or Admin first is a much better choice, with Religious later on when you're done with the missions.

This is good advice too. Admin as a first idea pick with the Ottos is just wonderful.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 3, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechanical Ape posted:

As a rule of thumb, when is a good time to move your trade capital? In my last Russia game I considered moving to Danzig, but I wasn't sure I had enough Baltic trade power to justify it.

It's really hard to say though because of all the different factors involved. A lot of the time it's good to have a buffer node that you control most of, but is directly downstream from your home node. The reason for this is that any country with at least 10 provincial power will project 1/5 of it upstream. So if you've got 100% of the provincial power in the Baltic but nothing in Lubeck, then you'll have all the countries with power in Lubeck projecting theirs upstream to the Baltic and picking off at your own trade value. On the other hand, if you controlled all of the provincial power of Lubeck and the Baltic and collected in the Baltic, then nobody would be able to project into the Baltic. You'd be able to control 100% of the all of the trade power there, aside from anyone that sends a merchant and/or light ships there (which is fairly unlikely). Note that this all goes out the window if the node in question is an end node like Venice, because those have no downstream nodes to project from.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also I don't think Religious is a very good early choice for Ottomans due to the massive amount of claims you get from missions. Humanist or Admin first is a much better choice, with Religious later on when you're done with the missions.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Religious is an okay first pick for Ottos if you know what you're doing, but if you're new to the game it's a great way to overextend yourself and get coalitioned. I prefer Influence or Diplo, then Admin.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I've got a giant Spanish blob and looking through the achievement list I figure I may as well go for 'spain is the emperor'. I've never touched the HRE before (except dissolving it as otto :getin:) - assuming I'm okay with beating the poo poo out of everybody, what's the easiest way to get it? Force-vassalize all the electors? Are there other requirements?
I'm catholic and so is the empire, there's no land path from the HRE to my capital, and I have no idea if any other information is relevant.

also re: religious ideas chat - when I'm blobbing with a big power I tend to get deus vult only from the religious idea, then refund it and pick up a military idea later. It lets me save the diplo of unjustified demands (freeing it up for quicker diplo ideas in the second idea slot), doesn't waste too much admin, and if you're a monster (otto/france/castile/england) I find that I don't need the early military idea anyway.
This is less important if you start with a godking, but can be pretty useful if you start with a dropbaby or an Average Ned
e: not for new players tho

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I haven't played since Art of War.

Advice for playing as Poland with Rights of Man in the current patch?

I presume joining the HRE + tag switching to Prussia as the Commonwealth is long dead.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

awesmoe posted:

I've got a giant Spanish blob and looking through the achievement list I figure I may as well go for 'spain is the emperor'. I've never touched the HRE before (except dissolving it as otto :getin:) - assuming I'm okay with beating the poo poo out of everybody, what's the easiest way to get it? Force-vassalize all the electors? Are there other requirements?
I'm catholic and so is the empire, there's no land path from the HRE to my capital, and I have no idea if any other information is relevant.

Vassalize a majority of electors is the easiest way.

alcaras posted:

I presume joining the HRE + tag switching to Prussia as the Commonwealth is long dead.

You can still do that if you really want to (esp. if Bohemia snags the Imperial title in the first couple months), but really you can do whatever the gently caress you want because you're giant and your ideas are good. Just don't overfeed Lithuania, you can't inherit them by decision if they have more than 40 provinces.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

You can still do that if you really want to (esp. if Bohemia snags the Imperial title in the first couple months), but really you can do whatever the gently caress you want because you're giant and your ideas are good. Just don't overfeed Lithuania, you can't inherit them by decision if they have more than 40 provinces.

Thanks. Humanist still the go to? I seem to remember going Humanist/Offensive/Religious or something like that, but it's been ages.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

alcaras posted:

The main thing I've learned from playing Poland is that Muscovy needs to be annihilated asap.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Prop Wash posted:

Ideally a CB would have different AE effects depending on whether the nation in question would also be subject to the CB. So a holy war would freak out other heathen nations but massively reduce AE for your co-religionists

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Thanks. Humanist still the go to? I seem to remember going Humanist/Offensive/Religious or something like that, but it's been ages.

Humanist and Religious are pretty mutually exclusive. If you're going to take Religious, just take Admin in place of Humanist.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's really hard to say though because of all the different factors involved. A lot of the time it's good to have a buffer node that you control most of, but is directly downstream from your home node. The reason for this is that any country with at least 10 provincial power will project 1/5 of it upstream. So if you've got 100% of the provincial power in the Baltic but nothing in Lubeck, then you'll have all the countries with power in Lubeck projecting theirs upstream to the Baltic and picking off at your own trade value. On the other hand, if you controlled all of the provincial power of Lubeck and the Baltic and collected in the Baltic, then nobody would be able to project into the Baltic. You'd be able to control 100% of the all of the trade power there, aside from anyone that sends a merchant and/or light ships there (which is fairly unlikely). Note that this all goes out the window if the node in question is an end node like Venice, because those have no downstream nodes to project from.
Thanks! That would make a fine goal in a future run: to project westward far enough that it's worth it to move my trade capital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Ideally a CB would have different AE effects depending on whether the nation in question would also be subject to the CB. So a holy war would freak out other heathen nations but massively reduce AE for your co-religionists

For AE effects, this is already built in; you get more AE with countries of the same religion as whoever you are conquering

• Locked thread