Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

An account I started on a new tablet right around the start of OSB fest has Terra's OSB, Steiner's Tin Armor, Curtana, and now Bartz OSB :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Last (maybe) newbie question: I have enough mithril for one more 11-pull. Should I use it now for overstrike p4 or p5 tonight?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Have you pulled on the XIV banner yet?

It contains some pretty good relics on some solid characters. I'm sure someone else has something else to say about it but I might pull on that if I were you.

Definitely hold out for a few more opinions but I think that's the direction I'd go.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Richard M Nixon posted:

Last (maybe) newbie question: I have enough mithril for one more 11-pull. Should I use it now for overstrike p4 or p5 tonight?

p5 is tomorrow

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SuperHappy posted:

At least it has really good base stats? Y'know... for those times when you want to run Tyro or OK through the Monday dungeon, lol.

Tyro's been the opposite of most everyone else when it comes to SBs, with his first one being overtly powerful and every new one being more and more disappointing. I wish they'd just made the OSB a Wall + the extra attack. Even as weak as it is, it'd be SOMETHING to slightly outclass the SG finally.

Still... another +10 ATK for my Wall user, yayyyy.

An OSB is an OSB, and Tyro's BSB is really good too. It's not like it'd be hard to have upkeep on both Wall and some other SB with Lifesiphion. I do it all the time.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Consider XIV banner 1 instead. It's probably a stronger banner than either Overstrike 4 or 5.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Thinking about it, the existence of BSBs are probably the single biggest jump in power the game's had even with the bigger numbers coming out in JP now.

Simply because it allows for so much more sustain. It greatly reduces the reliance on ability hones provided you've drawn the right BSBs. No longer do you need to worry about running our of R2 abilities in bosses since, after all, you have your burst commands. Sure, you still need some hones, but not near as much.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If you're going to do a pull on ffXIV, I'd hold off on deciding your party until you do.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think I'm not approaching something the right way - I have both Stoneskin II and Asylum and I'm not sure how to be getting uptime on both. Y'shtola can use Wrath, but with a few things I've found using Stoneskin first leads to problems keeping the rest of the party up before she can use Asylum.

Is there a better way to go about that?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Honestly I have both as well and I'm just using an RW for stoneskin. But I'm lucky enough to also have shout.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

AweStriker posted:

I think I'm not approaching something the right way - I have both Stoneskin II and Asylum and I'm not sure how to be getting uptime on both. Y'shtola can use Wrath, but with a few things I've found using Stoneskin first leads to problems keeping the rest of the party up before she can use Asylum.

I don't know your situation but I have a question: are you using Protectga and Shellga with anybody or are you relying on Wall alone to tide you over until you get the Asylum train rolling?

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah you should probably just bring a wall RW still since ysthola's bsb is pretty great. I really don't understand why she has wall when that's like what you want the least on your white mage.

While Tyro isn't amazing, having him with sentinel's grimoire is a godsend because my healer can actually use medicas when they get sb.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Tyro is the best support because he can Wall, Full Break or Multi-Break, plus there's some times he's situationally useful with his BSB (magic blink and dual breakdown commands) or SSB (3 earth AoE attacks).

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

1st AD posted:

Tyro is the best support because he can Wall, Full Break or Multi-Break, plus there's some times he's situationally useful with his BSB (magic blink and dual breakdown commands) or SSB (3 earth AoE attacks).

i start with his bsb to get a bit of extra atk/mag mitigation and also so i have extra slots from not having to bring shell or protect on anyone

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Tyro's OSB is...bad. There's no mincing words about it, it's really bad. It's one of the worst OSBs in the game. In addition to Tyro's lowish base ATK, it has a lower modifier than the rest of them, and no element, so it'll have trouble breaking 10k even with buffs.

It boosts all atk/mag/def/res and because of that stacks with ok/alphinauds buffs and sheepsong/shout. I'll take it for that.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

RagnarokAngel posted:

It boosts all atk/mag/def/res and because of that stacks with ok/alphinauds buffs and sheepsong/shout. I'll take it for that.
It boosts them...by 15%. Compare to 30% atk/mag from OK, 30% mag from sheepsong, 50% atk from shout. Not really worth a SB bar use over keeper's tome or SG.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

Yeah you should probably just bring a wall RW still since ysthola's bsb is pretty great. I really don't understand why she has wall when that's like what you want the least on your white mage.

While Tyro isn't amazing, having him with sentinel's grimoire is a godsend because my healer can actually use medicas when they get sb.
Y'shtola can easily manage both wall and her BSB because she can use wrath. Start with wall, wrath up to BSB, spam the instant curaja command and you'll easily get enough meter to use wall again before it wears off.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 2, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It boosts them...by 15%. Compare to 30% atk/mag from OK, 30% mag from sheepsong, 50% atk from shout. Not really worth a SB bar use over keeper's tome or SG.

I have all of those things so I'm totally cool with going overkill.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Okay so I'm looking at recruiting Terra, Arc, Steiner, and Auron to build out a good leveling party. From what I can tell from the wiki, the first two are unlocked from (several?) core story dungeons, but it just gives the dungeon names and not the dungeon number (like IV 11) so I can't really tell how far ahead they are from where I am now. Any tips on figuring that out?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
if you have shout and ok bsb up, another 15% will work out to be almost another 30% attack boost to the base value

and 25% to mag base value with sheepsong and ok bsb

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I don't know your situation but I have a question: are you using Protectga and Shellga with anybody or are you relying on Wall alone to tide you over until you get the Asylum train rolling?

I'd been using proshellga.

other goons posted:

just RW your wall

but no shout!!! I'll need to take stock of my hastegas in that case. And also move Quina to my A-team maybe, despite the fact that i have no lances whatsoever. Looks like Quina's going to be carrying the Shikari...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Combo posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't even notice he had Steiner's armor. He's a good solid spellblade and knight, plus the armor soulbreak is very nice, definitely get him too.

A team of Bartz, Terra, Arc, Steiner, and Auron is a decent start. No support in there but you probably aren't going to have the orbs for breakdowns for a while.

Early orbs would be better put towards survival anyways. As long as they can make it to bosses intact they're going to have an SB use for most if not all the party members and there's a lot of poo poo a new player can kill with a pair of OSBs. Especially when factoring in RWs (either OK/Celes/etc for more damage or heal/support BSBs).

SuperHappy posted:

At least it has really good base stats? Y'know... for those times when you want to run Tyro or OK through the Monday dungeon, lol.

Tyro's been the opposite of most everyone else when it comes to SBs, with his first one being overtly powerful and every new one being more and more disappointing. I wish they'd just made the OSB a Wall + the extra attack. Even as weak as it is, it'd be SOMETHING to slightly outclass the SG finally.

Still... another +10 ATK for my Wall user, yayyyy.

Tyro's first SB was the Healing Grimoire. Pretty sure SG was second.

The Healing Grimoire is one of the few SBs to be released fundamentally broken and useless and never fixed/tweaked. If it'd been 1 SB bar instead of 2 it'd have been pretty decent even if they'd dropped the potency a bit but as it is it is one of a few SBs that required TWO SB bars to use natively. I guess it was pretty nice as a RW heal but by that time we had Hymn of the Fayth which was simply better period.

AweStriker posted:

I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and bring Tyro for SG and support work in general on a mage squad, something like:

Maria - Meteor XVI, r4 Stoneja and r2 Chain Stonega
Papalymo - Leylines, r2 Meteor and r4 Waterja or whatever
Alphinaud - Deployment Tactics, a pair of r4 -ja spells TBD
Tyro - SG, r2 Fullbreak, r4 Mental or Power/Magic Breakdown
Y'shtola - Asylum, r5 Curaja, r2 Protectga/Shellga

RW: Ashe/Maria/Alphinaud/etc type of BSB that Papalymo and ALphinaud will use later in fighters to burn bosses down (after buff reapply probably). I could RW a Wall and drop Tyro for Terra but honestly I think bringing a BSB nuke for two people to use is probably better overall.

I'd probably split shell/protect work between Y'shtola and either Tyro or Alphinaud and go from there. I've neglected magic for a long time so I have to hone stuff up, and overall the group's probably going to be less potent than my physical team so it'll be a "well this fight needs magic" team and not my go-to murder squad.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Healing Grimoire is one of the few SBs to be released fundamentally broken and useless and never fixed/tweaked. If it'd been 1 SB bar instead of 2 it'd have been pretty decent even if they'd dropped the potency a bit but as it is it is one of a few SBs that required TWO SB bars to use natively. I guess it was pretty nice as a RW heal but by that time we had Hymn of the Fayth which was simply better period.

Honestly I think SB's using two bars could be an interesting next step in evolution - they'd have to be very powerful, of course, to make them worth it. You wouldn't be able to Mako Might your way into them, so you'd need to actually build into it over the course of the fight, and you'd be deprived of other SB's for that character for the most part, but if it was powerful enough, like a multi-hit OSB with effect, it might be worth it.

edit: VVVV yeah that was partly me - I thought it was Riot Blade but I was wrong.

bilperkins2 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 2, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Richard M Nixon posted:

Okay so I'm looking at recruiting Terra, Arc, Steiner, and Auron to build out a good leveling party.
I'm pretty sure that FFX sword you have is for Jecht and not Auron and I'm not sure why people keep telling you it's Auron's. If it is Jecht's, you can get him for free in a couple weeks so I'd make him you last priority.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Nihilarian posted:

I'm pretty sure that FFX sword you have is for Jecht and not Auron and I'm not sure why people keep telling you it's Auron's. If it is Jecht's, you can get him for free in a couple weeks so I'd make him you last priority.

Because I can't immediately identify every item and someone else said Auron, which seemed right. He could always actually click on the item to see who its for.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

if you have shout and ok bsb up, another 15% will work out to be almost another 30% attack boost to the base value

and 25% to mag base value with sheepsong and ok bsb

If you have Vessel of Fate and Shout active, 15% will get you basically nothing because you're way over the Attack soft cap.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Zurai posted:

If you have Vessel of Fate and Shout active, 15% will get you basically nothing because you're way over the Attack soft cap.

well i was just talking raw numbers but effectively yeah youre right

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
Did 2 11-pulls on the XIV(I)!

2/11: Ley Lines, Aerial Blast
2/11: Blessing of Light, Stoneskin II

Not a whiff by any means, and I finally got a Wall! But it's on Y'shtola, which makes using it a pain. (Don't have her BSB, though.) Ley Lines is cool and good.

While I'm still rolling with my Locke-centric Fire Imperil team, I'm starting to look at a mage team which would, at present, look like:

Y'shtola (Aetherial Pulse, Stoneskin II) w/ a breakdown of choice and a cure of choice, using OK RW magic attacks
Penelo (Intercession) w/ main healing and Full Breakdance
Terra (Scorching Flames) burning poo poo down
Alphinaud (Aerial Blast) fanning the flames
Papalymo (Ley Lines) speaking in a funny voice and getting pissed off at Yda all the time

Is splitting the healing/support like that reasonable? I know if I try to pull the XIV banner again I'm not gonna get that sweet, sweet Y'sh BSB, even if I try real hard. It's hard stepping away from White Materia.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
ffs i've gotten maybe one round of golden knights in the past two days. There's no way I'm getting all the prizes :sigh:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
My encounter rate with the gold knights shot up considerably after I got all the prizes. Now I can't get away from them.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

ffs i've gotten maybe one round of golden knights in the past two days. There's no way I'm getting all the prizes :sigh:

If you're not going to make it, and there's still mythril/major orbs on the table, spend mythril refreshing orbfest. It's worth it at that point.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I just need two more Gold Knight encounters to finish the board and then I can work on all these events I've been ignoring.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
The God of single pulls has offered me edge's BSB (and I have his lightning SSB and his water interrupt sb!) and yuna's curada ssb! I still don't know when I'd really use her though, all I have is her weak 5 hit summoning ssb. Believe in single pulls my friends.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Quick, probably dumb question about RMs:

Looking at Rinoa's RM4 vs. Terra's - it looks like Terra's +13% magic works out to 22.3% extra black magic damage, while Rinoa's just gives a flat +25% bonus to black magic attacks. Does this mean that Rinoa's is better for a character that is never using anything but black magic, or does Terra's flat magic boost also interact with multipliers and stuff in weird ways and make it even better?

I'm guessing Terra's is way better if you have realm synergy / gear synergy, but other than that is there any appreciable difference for a pure caster? I'm probably going to end up using a crystal on both of them at some point anyway since they make up 50% of my "black mages I have relics for" pile, but I'm just curious how the math works out.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

OK following thread advice I took a pull from the XIV banner and then I couldn't help myself and took one more from Overstrike 4. I hope I'm done now. I got a few more 5*s and one 6*.

Does this change my suggested party build of Bartz/Terra/Arc/Steiner/Jecht? I tried typing out my items instead of taking a screenshot because I have so few.

---Weapons---
6*:
Blood Sword (VI) - Terra
Apocalypse (V) - Bartz
Arbiter's Apocrypha (whatever the crystal icon is) - Tyro
5*:
Danjuro (XII)
Chocobo Wing (X) - everyone
Sin's Talon (X) - Jecht
Holy Rod (XII) - Penelo
3x Chaos Rod (X) - Yuna (I guess I can combine 2 of them for a 5+?)

---Armor---
5*:
Bartz's Cloak (V) - Bartz
Tin Armor (IX) - Steiner
WHM Robe (III) - Arc
2x Warrior's Gloves (X) - Paine

I don't seem to have any good abilities yet (I assume they are all crafted) and no record materia (whatever the gently caress that is).

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Did you completely whiff on the xiv banner then?

Record materia is post level 50. You're going to be short on abilities for a while probably, orbs can be hard to come by which is why orbfest is so good.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Richard M Nixon posted:

OK following thread advice I took a pull from the XIV banner and then I couldn't help myself and took one more from Overstrike 4. I hope I'm done now. I got a few more 5*s and one 6*.

Does this change my suggested party build of Bartz/Terra/Arc/Steiner/Jecht? I tried typing out my items instead of taking a screenshot because I have so few.

---Weapons---
6*:
Blood Sword (VI) - Terra
Apocalypse (V) - Bartz
5*:
Danjuro (XII)
Sin's Talon (X) - Jecht
Holy Rod (XII) - Penelo

---Armor---
5*:
Tin Armor (IX) - Steiner
WHM Robe (III) - Arc

I don't seem to have any good abilities yet (I assume they are all crafted) and no record materia (whatever the gently caress that is).

Might be good to stick Yuna on your team, that 2000 hp shield will whip you through a lot of story dungeons. And enjoy bartz' cloak, a particularly rare item with +20% wind damage. It might even be good to stick tyro on there, that group atk/mag/def/res buff on his OSB is nice too! But yeah bartz is going to be dumping a buttload of damage.

Definitely grind orbfest as long as you can. Use like 3 people per team and go to town if you can survive!

I got a weird item in my single pull, a mythril clip 3* (ffvii, hairpin). No def or res, but 22 ATK and 32 mag. I looked at who can equip them... Tyro and red xiii :smugjones:

superloosegoose fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 3, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Richard M Nixon posted:

---Weapons---
6*:
Blood Sword (VI) - Terra
Apocalypse (V) - Bartz
5*:
Danjuro (XII)
Sin's Talon (X) - Jecht
Holy Rod (XII) - Penelo

---Armor---
5*:
Tin Armor (IX) - Steiner
WHM Robe (III) - Arc

What did you get from the 14 banner? Doesn't look like anything?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

off banner Holy Rod (XII)?

if you can get back up to 50 before the event ends I'd recommend another pull on FF14, it's a fantastic banner even if the RNG didn't work out on the first pull.

I'd recommend against combining Yuna's rods for now; you can always change your mind later and in the short term they should have solid magic. Arc and Yuna's equipment are both real good, pick your favorite. Since you got Tyro's OSB that might be worth slotting in? Not sure who to replace though

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Holy rod 12 is on OSBfest 4 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Combo posted:

Did you completely whiff on the xiv banner then?

Record materia is post level 50. You're going to be short on abilities for a while probably, orbs can be hard to come by which is why orbfest is so good.

I'm assuming whiff means get nothing good from? I think the holy rod was from that banner, I didn't screenshot the results.

superloosegoose posted:

Might be good to stick Yuna on your team, that 2000 hp shield will whip you through a lot of story dungeons. And enjoy bartz' cloak, a particularly rare item with +20% wind damage. It might even be good to stick tyro on there, that group atk/mag/def/res buff on his OSB is nice too! But yeah bartz is going to be dumping a buttload of damage.

Definitely grind orbfest as long as you can. Use like 3 people per team and go to town if you can survive!

Nihilarian posted:

off banner Holy Rod (XII)?

if you can get back up to 50 before the event ends I'd recommend another pull on FF14, it's a fantastic banner even if the RNG didn't work out on the first pull.

I'd recommend against combining Yuna's rods for now; you can always change your mind later and in the short term they should have solid magic. Arc and Yuna's equipment are both real good, pick your favorite. Since you got Tyro's OSB that might be worth slotting in? Not sure who to replace though

I may be able to get back up to 50 and I'll try another pull if I do. Why shouldn't I stack Yuna's rods? Just not the best use of mats right now?

So I should definitely go with Yuna and Bartz, but what about the other 3? I don't know who replaces other people, so out of Terra/Arc/Steiner/Jecht/Tyro who would round out the team well enough to clear through a lot of the starter content?

• Locked thread