Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate a bit? I don't remember her talking that much about the writer of Rent.

She didn't. She barely mentioned him. I'm not sure what Kunster is trying to say. There was no suggestion of boycotting Rent for moral reasons that I remember either. She just has accurate and reasonable problems with the storytelling and characters, and its failure to engage with the larger issue it purports to deal with. And I *do* kinda like Rent. Not the movie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You should boycott Ender's Game because it's a bad book.

The only good thing about Ender's Game is how angry its success makes Orson Scott Card.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Asuron posted:

Why lie about the content when it can be so easily fact checked? People in this thread are weird I swear.

I wasn't going to watch 4 hours of TB so I was just making a joke.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate a bit? I don't remember her talking that much about the writer of Rent.

I'm bothered that for a play that had a crappy plot on AIDS gets a 40 minute piece ending with "Long time AIDS activist lecturing on the sad figure of young people" juxtaposed with goofy scene of lawmakers vs gay protagonists while her response to people boycotting a movie that benefited someone who funneled a lot of money into "killing Ugandan Gay Folk" thru Focus On The Family poo poo was that article. Yes it's somewhat lovely of me to bring up a piece on a dead site, but between the reaction to two different pieces, one far more harmful to gay folk, got to me.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 1, 2017

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

HopperUK posted:

She just has accurate and reasonable problems with the storytelling and characters, and its failure to engage with the larger issue it purports to deal with.

And considering how movingly she’s written about her father’s alcoholism, I can see why she might not be so keen on a story that glamorizes addiction.

Anyhow, I’ve been re-reading H. L. Mencken recently. Can you spot the Internet critics described in his 1919 essay “Criticism of Criticism of Criticism”?

H. L. Mencken posted:

One group argues, partly by direct statement and partly by attacking all other groups, that the one defensible purpose of the critic is to encourage the virtuous and oppose the sinful—in brief, to police the fine arts and so hold them in tune with the moral order of the world. Another group, repudiating this constabulary function, argues hotly that the arts have nothing to do with morality whatsoever—that their concern is solely with pure beauty. A third group holds that the chief aspect of a work of art, particularly in the field of literature, is its aspect as psychological document—that if it doesn’t help men to know themselves it is nothing. A fourth group reduces the thing to an exact science, and sets up standards that resemble algebraic formulæ—this is the group of metrists, of contrapuntists and of those who gabble of light-waves. And so, in order, follow groups five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, each with its theory and its proofs.

…It presupposes that he is a civilized and tolerant man, hospitable to all intelligible ideas and capable of reading them as he runs. This is a demand that at once rules out nine-tenths of the grown-up sophomores who carry on the business of criticism in America. Their trouble is simply that they lack the intellectual resilience necessary for taking in ideas, and particularly new ideas. The only way they can ingest one is by transforming it into the nearest related formula—usually a harsh and devastating operation.

(I think I’m in group #2.)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

echopapa posted:

And considering how movingly she’s written about her father’s alcoholism, I can see why she might not be so keen on a story that glamorizes addiction.

I honestly didn't know about this when writing those previous posts. I apologize about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mr. Plinkett Responds to Comments on his Video Commenting on Disney's Star Wars Rogue One!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I really wish the RLM guys would stop harping on the "Star Wars is RUINED FOREVER and you suck for liking it" poo poo. We get it,Mike and co, you're a bunch of grumpy old men who hate change. Now shut up and let us "brain-damaged fanboys" have our fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

VolticSurge posted:

I really wish the RLM guys would stop harping on the "Star Wars is RUINED FOREVER and you suck for liking it" poo poo. We get it,Mike and co, you're a bunch of grumpy old men who hate change. Now shut up and let us "brain-damaged fanboys" have our fun.

Try watching the video first.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Try watching the video first.
I did. It was as whiny as every other RLM video about Star Wars.
First few seconds he says anyone who likes Rouge One is a brain-damaged fanboy. But then again, I've stopped listening to any RLM videos about Star Wars because they all say the same thing:"Star Wars is OFFICALLY ruined. No one is allowed to like it anymore,and if you do you're a sellout."

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's really weird of them to say considering Mike really likes Force Awakens, and I recall all of them being positive about it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

KayTee posted:

I like video games. :)

-Hitler

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Kunster posted:

I'm bothered that for a play that had a crappy plot on AIDS gets a 40 minute piece ending with "Long time AIDS activist lecturing on the sad figure of young people" juxtaposed with goofy scene of lawmakers vs gay protagonists while her response to people boycotting a movie that benefited someone who funneled a lot of money into "killing Ugandan Gay Folk" thru Focus On The Family poo poo was that article. Yes it's somewhat lovely of me to bring up a piece on a dead site, but between the reaction to two different pieces, one far more harmful to gay folk, got to me.

She's quite damning of Card in that post, and I buy her reasoning that Card's relation to the movie, and even the fictional story the movie is based on is tenuous enough that boycotting the film based on that alone wasn't worth it. Especially considering that Card is like one of about a thousand people who were involved in making the movie, and it's not like he's getting a big share.

Even then, I don't really see how you can compare the blog post about people boycotting the Enders Game movie and her analysis of Rent. It's really apples and oranges to compare a work itself, and the business/reality behind a different work. Especially since the controversy in the latter has nothing to do with that work, but is about the authors personal views.

And it's not like the fictional story of Enders Game is offensive/bad in the context of it's treatment of LGBT people/issues whereas Rent is directly about those things.

(I will say you can argue that there are no gay characters in Enders Game, but most of the cast are like, 12. So sexual attraction/relationships don't really come up much.)

Also Enders Game is actually pretty gay imho. It almost kind of made sense to me that he became a homophobe at a later date, dude is definitely repressed.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 2, 2017

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dunno if I Don't Even Own a Television counts as internet critics, but since we're talking about Ender's Game and they just did an episode on it I feel like I ought to point it out.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

Dunno if I Don't Even Own a Television counts as internet critics, but since we're talking about Ender's Game and they just did an episode on it I feel like I ought to point it out.

I can't wait to both enjoy this episode, and enjoy seeing people who haven't read the book half-paraphrase their criticisms later. That's right Joe, I listen to podcasts too and I totally recognise those jokes you're stealing!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

That's really weird of them to say considering Mike really likes Force Awakens, and I recall all of them being positive about it.

I think people confuse them making jokes about SW (like the similar plot beats between ANH and TFA) with them hating it.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

echopapa posted:

Anyhow, I’ve been re-reading H. L. Mencken recently. Can you spot the Internet critics described in his 1919 essay “Criticism of Criticism of Criticism”?

(I think I’m in group #2.)

The funny thing would be how many video game critics are 1 by way of 4.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Bakeneko posted:

. Playing a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game feels like the closest I’ve ever come to having a fully-detailed world that I can explore every inch of rather being stuck in small, cordoned-off areas like you are in most games, and that feeling counts for a lot as far as I’m concerned.

Let me stop you right there and suggest you play The Witcher III.

And if you like that, definitely get the expansions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asuron posted:

You know there are timers on each of the awards right and that section is only 28 minutes talking about all the games he nominated? I even watched just to make sure and he talks about No Mans Sky for maybe 5 minutes at the end when he decides the award for that category and that's not even what he says...

In fact his longest segment looks to be the positive one where he talked about games that have improved the most

Why lie about the content when it can be so easily fact checked? People in this thread are weird I swear.

shut up TB

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Roth posted:

I guess they convinced themselves that,since DISNEY IS EVIL that would mean Star Wars is evil as well,ergo you're not allowed to like it.Some kinda mental gymnastics like that,probably.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only mental gymnastics on display is how far you are willing to bend words made by a fictional mouthpiece to justify disliking RLM.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only mental gymnastics on display is how far you are willing to bend words made by a fictional mouthpiece to justify disliking RLM.

"Fictional"? That would be true if there weren't several videos from them that involved bitching about Star Wars in some capacity. Take the recent BOTW-there's a segment where they take time out of opening the packages the tapes are in to bitch about Star Wars.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Asuron posted:

You know there are timers on each of the awards right and that section is only 28 minutes talking about all the games he nominated? I even watched just to make sure and he talks about No Mans Sky for maybe 5 minutes at the end when he decides the award for that category and that's not even what he says...

In fact his longest segment looks to be the positive one where he talked about games that have improved the most

I watched it live (well, had it on in the background while playing games) and he brought up NMS/Hello Games constantly throughout. At least four different occasions for different categories.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

Let me stop you right there and suggest you play The Witcher III.

And if you like that, definitely get the expansions.
I’ve played it and it’s by far the better game when you factor in things like the plot and characters, as well as how beautiful the landscapes themselves look, but I still think Fallout 4 edges it out in this one specific instance. There are a lot more, and more extensive building interiors in Fallout 4 as well as more vertical movement in many places. I think the first-person viewpoint might also have something to do with it feeling a bit more immersive, but I can’t say that for sure.

It’s annoying how much they fixate on the hypothetical “what if this was a standalone movie without a franchise?” issue. Yeah, it might be a minor point you could bring up against the movie that it doesn’t explain a lot, but it’s still just a hypothetical thing. It isn’t really a standalone movie and almost everyone knows the basic plot of Star Wars by this point. There’s no reason to keep harping on it like he does.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 2, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I go love the "white slavers" clip they showed of George Lucas during the one review. His face while signing over the rights was priceless too. Dude just never forgot his roots. There's a picture out there of him just eating some noodles in a food court dressed as he always does. Dude's a billionare but still buys 6 dollar noodles at a foot court kiosk.

https://twitter.com/GAFAtape/status/709941422258913280/photo/1

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The key to being rich, vimes dicovered, was that rich people spent less money.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I haven't watched all of their Star Wars stuff yet, but I do like the point that Star Wars really is more about aesthetics than content and, in a way, is really small and limited when it comes to the stories you can actually tell with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But the thing is, a familiar story told well is better than a new story told badly. Which is why force awakens works to an extent. It has a shaky middle bit but when it hits the important story beats it hits them super well.
I just wish that every action scene in the film could be as good as the falcon junkyard chase. Nothing in Rogue One really struck me as that inspired for action. There are a couple moments that are inventive, sure, but they don't quite reach the proper visceral level that I feel they should.

EDIT: I suppose I should add that while doing the familiar story well is better than a new story badly, we shouldn't get complacent just rehashing the old over and over. There needs to be a drive for innovation, and failure is part of innovation. Rogue One feels like a testbed for Disney more than its own film. They are testing the waters to see if new star wars stories can be told. In that sense, it did make some leaps away from sameness, but it doesn't quite stick the landing. I also feel that the film started to lose itself the closer it tried to tie into the other Star Wars films. If it was just a balls out, entirely different film fro anything else, complete with full on terrorist Jyn Erso before the reshoots neutered her, I'd probably appreciate it more for sheer audacity.

Or just make Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars edition. That would be great too.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 2, 2017

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

But the thing is, a familiar story told well is better than a new story told badly.

The secret behind Disney being the goddam juggernaut it is.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arcsquad12 posted:

The key to being rich, vimes dicovered, was that rich people spent less money.

I think about Vimes' musings on this more and more as I get older.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I think about Vimes' musings on this more and more as I get older.

Truly a voice of wisdom in trying times

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But the thing is, a familiar story told well is better than a new story told badly.

But after a new story is told, does it not become familiar?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mraagvpeine posted:

It does. You need to break that new ground first however, and making a good first impression is important. People won't be clambering to make something similar to a bad initial movie.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mraagvpeine posted:

despite what some people feel, there's tons of new stories being told all the time.

A new story can absolutely become familiar, but a poo poo ton of them end with the audience going 'yea I'm done with that, bye'.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Well obviously the movies are gonna seem repetitive and limited in scope from now on, since the creators are actively stepping back from Pre-Disney innovations. Like how the OT was all about frontiers and edges where adventure happens, while the Prequels introduced "centres" like Coruscant and Naboo to complicate the story. The Prequels are objectively speaking more complex and developed narratives, despite their flaws. In TFA, Not-Coruscant blows up as to show that the development does not matter.

e:

Puppy Time posted:

I'm guessing they're going to bring up the Hitler essay, but are they going to bring up the much superior and cogent Creating the Innocent Killer?

e2: they did it while I was editing this :holy:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 2, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Well obviously the movies are gonna seem repetitive and limited in scope from now on, since the creators are actively stepping back from Pre-Disney innovations: the OT was all about frontiers and edges where adventure happens, while the Prequels introduced "centres" like Coruscant and Naboo to complicate the story. With all their flaws, the Prequels are objectively speaking more complex and mature narratives. The Force Awakens blew up Not-Coruscant to show that the development has been swept away.

Actually I'm fairly certain Coruscant predates The Phantom Menace, it's from the EU novels originally.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm guessing they're going to bring up the Hitler essay, but are they going to bring up the much superior and cogent Creating the Innocent Killer?

e2: they did it while I was editing this :holy:

You could have just looked at the recommendations section :v:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jimbot posted:

I go love the "white slavers" clip they showed of George Lucas during the one review. His face while signing over the rights was priceless too. Dude just never forgot his roots. There's a picture out there of him just eating some noodles in a food court dressed as he always does. Dude's a billionare but still buys 6 dollar noodles at a foot court kiosk.

https://twitter.com/GAFAtape/status/709941422258913280/photo/1

Dude grew up in Modesto. I can confirm this to be a normal thing in the area, having grown up near there.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually I'm fairly certain Coruscant predates The Phantom Menace, it's from the EU novels originally.

That doesn't actually matter, I hope you understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While true, as it was invented by Timothy Zahn in the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy, I don't think it actually takes from his point, as Disney also removed the expanded universe from any level of canon. At most it means "pre-Disney innovations" isn't just just the prequels.

BOTL: I don't know if Rebels does anything particularly different but I think that TFA isn't necessarily an undoing of developments in Star Wars and more a show of understanding of the original trilogy (though I recall that you don't agree that it works on that front either). John Boyega has stated that while he compared 8 to Empire Strikes Back, the actual comparison doesn't reflect in the story beats and is a very different movie, whereas TFA has a lot in common with the plot of A New Hope. Rogue One was also a very different story from anything Star Wars has ever done in cinema and Rebels has at least started to reimplement expanded universe material into the canon with the reintroduction of Grand Admiral Thrawn, roughly coinciding with a book release by his original creator.

• Locked thread