Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Shirec posted:

I think I already am and I definitely will!
If it's not too much trouble, can I get all the cockatoo advice/pictures/stories people care to share?

E2: I'm tired and preachy and no fun tonight.
Just respect the battle banner, and

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

it's all worth it. Cockatoos are rad pets that can break you eardrums, wreck your fingats, and melt your heart.

E: one more, not Mookie

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Suntan Boy posted:

Take everything you read on bird blogs with a boulder of salt. Cockatoos, more than any other bird I've encountered, have distinct personalities that vary wildly between individuals. For example: many online sources will suggest moving things around in their cage, to keep them from getting bored; Mookie just gets stressed out with frequent change. Conversely, they are correct in that cockatoos are all highly social birds that bond strongly, and require a fair amount of interaction.

Mostly it just comes down to getting to know your bird, without going in with many assumptions based on species. Oh, and respect the battle banner. Hugely expressive, that.

murder :mad:

GoldStandardConure posted:

Taco fell asleep in the palm of my hand as we watched another Keanu film :3:

She was trying to imitate Keanu :mmmhmm:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

oh my :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Ahhh Mookie :kimchi: What a lovely bitey whitey.

I miss having a bird around the place

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Suntan Boy posted:

Just respect the battle banner, and

That's a pretty good euphemism for crest

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Now I'm imagining what's going through their head when that crest flares up.

"Does this mean it's battle time?"

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Reunited and it feels so good! Thanks, Potato Salad for the picture dump, I was definitely not crying like a small child at any point.

We picked Pearl up yesterday, where she was reportedly a very good girl and "quiet for an African grey," whatever that means. She is a little needier than usual, but otherwise resumed normal activities. One of my travel related delusional anxieties (which also included earthquakes, fire, being denied boarding on the plane back, etc) was that they would give me the wrong bird somehow. But given that this one accepts hugs from me, has resumed her usual cabinet haunts, and is attacking robotic insects, I think it's at least an adequate substitution.

Also a conure landed on me at the boarders and did not want to leave me shoulder. I melted just a tad.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I don't know how it is with conures, but I've found that with a cockatoo if you work outside of your home full time, be prepared to plan all of your free time around your bird time. More importantly, be prepared to enjoy your bird time. I don't just mean, "When Gracie is doing well we'll all have a grand old time" I mean "Regardless of how well/challenging everything is going, be prepared to enjoy the time your have with your loving pets and companions, regardless of how much work it takes to mold a positive experience for everyone."

Because of work (and back in the day, school) hours, I've always had an open cage policy-- meaning if we're home, she's out. Really horrible for bird discipline, but I think we have a better relationship because of it.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ok first question that has occurred to me. Are bigger birds worse at stepping up? This is def very very different, shock was the perfect word

edit: I need to try and record a video of her. She has the sweetest voice and she loves to go "HeellllOOO", "Hi pretty bird" and "rockarockarockarocka.

Also panting like a dog while I'm giving her scritches. It's very weird

Shirec fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 30, 2016

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Did someone ask for clouds?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
if you could get a pink dye that was not harmful to your fluffy cloud bird...

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Shirec posted:

"rockarockarockarocka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg4sxwb_7k0&t=95s

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Right now she's sitting on top of my feet and occasionally running up my legs to peek behind my laptop and say "Hello pretty bird"

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Double post I know but I think I'm glad for this trial period because I feel in my bones I'm not right for Gracie. I love the snuggles and having a lap cloud is awesome, but I can see all the places it's not going to work.
Everyone is super right about the time and attention and I can give those, but it's not going to fit into my life neatly and I don't think I'm willing to make those changes as much as I was for Sammy and Kiwi. Especially since I just started doing a lot of community work and eventually want to move to a different coast.

I feel terrible though :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That isn't something you should feel terrible about, way better to have that realization than to power through doubts and regret it later. You need to be as fair as possible in this decision.

But it still sucks, I know :(

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Shirec posted:

Double post I know but I think I'm glad for this trial period because I feel in my bones I'm not right for Gracie. I love the snuggles and having a lap cloud is awesome, but I can see all the places it's not going to work.
Everyone is super right about the time and attention and I can give those, but it's not going to fit into my life neatly and I don't think I'm willing to make those changes as much as I was for Sammy and Kiwi. Especially since I just started doing a lot of community work and eventually want to move to a different coast.

I feel terrible though :(

1) Sleep on it. Day one is always a rollercoaster.

2) If you still feel that way tomorrow, then more power to you. I mean, it sucks, but it's one of those things that you have to go into 100% committed, or it's going to end badly for you and bird.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Its normal to have doubts about big decisions, itd be concerning if you didnt.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

She is a pretty girl, though

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Gracie is a cutie, and definitely don't feel bad if you don't think it's a good fit. Mimicking everyone else: better to know now than a year down the line and it would be much harder to rehome her yourself. I always thought I wanted a big parrot until I became good friends with someone who owns a cockatoo. He's a super cool bird and I totally love being his "auntie" but I could never make the lifestyle sacrifices to give one a good life.

In other news, Nugget had the worst day ever and it's only noon :( Birbs went to vet for their checkup and a nail trim today. Ozzy was pretty okay with it because he's used to/likes being manhandled. Poor Nugget was crying like she was being hurt the whole time and my heart breaks because she's my favorite. She was so pouty and surly after her exam she didn't even make a peep or move for like 30 mins.

Right when we walked into the lobby of our apartment building, the bottom of her carrier fell off! The door to outside was still open. She took like 10 laps around the lobby area before she landed on my hand/I caught her. She was terrified :( I feel really terrible. Checked her over for any injury and left her alone for like an hour. She had a bath and fixed all her feathers and is better now but I feel like the worst pet owner ever. Everyone is fine, I'm really glad I was holding the carrier by the bottom when we were outside though. I think the carrier is okay now. My husband heard it disconnect when he pulled it out of the car but I thought I had popped it back into place. Turns out I had only popped one side back in and the other side was still loose.

Otherwise, birds are healthy. The vet mentioned that in a few years when Nugget is 13-14 I should put her on a special pellet diet for kidneys? She said a lot of cockatiels end up dying to kidney disease and there is a special Roudybush formula that is good for them to switch to. She's only 9 now so not for a few more years. Sound familiar to geriatric cockatiel owners? She also said that conures are one of the few tropical parrots that also tend to have kidney issues so he would be okay/good for them to share that diet when they get older. I knew about the cockatiel kidney thing but was kindof surprised to hear conures have similar issue.

Also of note since it was discussed a couple pages back. Nugget and Ozzy share a cage. We do have an air purifier next to the cage (blows away from cage). Ozzy's respiration is fine and our vet has no issue with them sharing a cage as long as they get along. So.. I guess one cockatiel living with a conure isn't super terrible re: dust. They have shared a cage for 2 years so far.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pip pip pip posted:

Otherwise, birds are healthy. The vet mentioned that in a few years when Nugget is 13-14 I should put her on a special pellet diet for kidneys? She said a lot of cockatiels end up dying to kidney disease and there is a special Roudybush formula that is good for them to switch to. She's only 9 now so not for a few more years. Sound familiar to geriatric cockatiel owners? She also said that conures are one of the few tropical parrots that also tend to have kidney issues so he would be okay/good for them to share that diet when they get older. I knew about the cockatiel kidney thing but was kindof surprised to hear conures have similar issue.

The way I understand it, "kidneys loving up and killing you" is a pretty common cause of death for basically everything that has kidneys.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Shirec posted:

Oh! I can comment on this. Gracie has brown eyes! It surprised me cause they are light enough I can see her pupils.
That's super cool that it's on purpose

Trebuchet King posted:

iirc eye color is how you tell cockatoo genders apart.

yeah brown/red is girl black is boy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

where the red fern gropes posted:

yeah brown/red is girl black is boy

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best advice I ever got before getting Lucy was actually about ducks but it does translate over.
http://ducksandclucks.com/blog/2013/06/14/want-a-pet-duck/

My favourite one:

10. Ducks don’t believe you should have hobbies. Want to meet friends for dinner? Have to put your ducks away before dusk first. Want to have brunch on a Saturday? Need to clean the duck ponds first. Like to knit, sew, paint, listen to music, see movies, watch TV, play games, ride a bike? Forget it. Your sole hobby if you have a duck… is your duck. End of hobbies.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Coming further together...

Just installed the top, that's 5 of the 6 sides enclosed.
Now missing: Trim around the bottom, and the doors. The doors. I fear the doors.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I returned Gracie this weekend. I thought it over, and the owners were super understanding. They even said that if things calm down, and she hasn't found a forever home yet, I can reach back out.
:smith:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shirec posted:

I returned Gracie this weekend. I thought it over, and the owners were super understanding. They even said that if things calm down, and she hasn't found a forever home yet, I can reach back out.

That is a much better decision to make than keeping her and regretting it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Kenshin posted:

That is a much better decision to make than keeping her and regretting it.

Agreed, you made the hard call. Good for you.

Now you just need to find a sucker someone near you that is willing to make Gracie their hobby so you can be a bird sitter :getin:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Shirec posted:

If theres any doubt at all, its best to back down on this sort of thing.

I have never had a bird, nor do I plan to in the near future for that very reason.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
so this familiar image (with an edited addition) wandered across my facebook today:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

so this familiar image (with an edited addition) wandered across my facebook today:

the implication was funny, but the knife detracts from the image

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

where the red fern gropes posted:

the implication was funny, but the knife detracts from the image

it was more the 'hey i know that bird' i had

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Trying out birbcam on YouTube again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOGTfvIrzM

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hey I know that bird.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

WHEN IT'S TIME TO PARTY WE WILL PARTY HARD

https://twitter.com/pechigin/status/815107124787220481

PARTY HARD

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka got his left foot caught in a chain and somehow got it wound through a food bowl holder and cut himself pretty bad. So we took him to the birb vet (Vida in Denver) and the doc was amazing. She got him a great bird bandage and some drugs. Have a hilarious image of him being bandaged that I'll share later but here is sedated and very comfy Teeka

Luckily he is going to be great. He got an antibiotic injection at the vet and has painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds for the next few days.

Super stressful morning, but we made friends with an outstanding bird doc and the bird is gonna be great, so seems like it will work out

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Oh jeeze. :ohdear: I wish Teeka a speedy recovery, it sounds like things turned out alright all things considered!

Here's honey and boo for no reason

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Mirthless posted:

Oh jeeze. :ohdear: I wish Teeka a speedy recovery, it sounds like things turned out alright all things considered!

heart eyes wings motherfucker

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mirthless posted:

There is always a reason.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Eejit posted:

Super stressful morning, but we made friends with an outstanding bird doc and the bird is gonna be great, so seems like it will work out

Great bird docs are the best. Our bird doc is clearly a madman, but the exact type of madman that you want taking care of your bird, because he obviously cares about his job and patients.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Our bird doc is clearly a madman

Checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eejit posted:

Teeka got his left foot caught in a chain and somehow got it wound through a food bowl holder and cut himself pretty bad. So we took him to the birb vet (Vida in Denver) and the doc was amazing. She got him a great bird bandage and some drugs. Have a hilarious image of him being bandaged that I'll share later but here is sedated and very comfy Teeka

Luckily he is going to be great. He got an antibiotic injection at the vet and has painkillers and anti-inflammatory meds for the next few days.

Teeka is in CO? Gonna sneak into your place and pet that cloud :kimchi: get better fast, cloudbirb