Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Also, the Star Wars universe is huge, there's canonically millions of planets in the Republic/Empire and thousands more inhabited worlds that aren't governed by them. By the prequel era there were, what, a few thousand Jedi? It's a fairly small and insular order in an inconceivably vast universe, probably only sent where they're needed, and then in small groups, ones and twos. Most people probably never actually saw one even when they were alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Also, look how paniced the Nemodians get in Phantom Menace and how badly they mishandle trying to kill the Jedi. They clearly have no idea what Jedi are capable of. The knowledge of most people even when the Jedi were alive was probably nothing but heresay and stories.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Clanpot Shake posted:

So here's a lore question that's been kinda bugging me lately. In Force and Destiny, the Jedi are this almost-lost near-mythological shattered order and the force itself is all but forgotten. Okay. But when Anakin was growing up, the Jedi are like, super well known. They get involved in state affairs in some of the major core planets, sit in on senate meetings, heads of state defer to their advice, etc. They seem very well integrated into the ruling class and it's not like any of that is a secret. They build giant temples out in the open on major core worlds. They're the opposite of a secret order. So how do you explain them going from non-secret ruling class magicians to urban legend in the span of like, 2 human lifetimes (Anakin and Luke)? No propaganda machine is that good at making something so large disappear.

I realize asking Star Wars to make sense is a pretty tall order but what's the given reason for this?

I think a big part of it is that the Universe is a really huge place, and given how few Jedi there actually were it would be rare to encounter one. Combine that with a systemic purge by the Empire and it would make sense that a relatively small group of folks with a religious bent would stop being something people remember. Especially folks on some backwater planet who may have never heard about them if they hadn't been wiped out.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

All good points to consider, thanks everyone!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
One of the major antagonists in my Force & Destiny campaign is a COMPNOR sub-director with a bone to pick against the Jedi and who considers burying their legacy to be his own

So he's less than happy with the team of jedi archaeologists and miscreants going around digging this poo poo up

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Blockhouse posted:

One of the major antagonists in my Force & Destiny campaign is a COMPNOR sub-director with a bone to pick against the Jedi and who considers burying their legacy to be his own

So he's less than happy with the team of jedi archaeologists and miscreants going around digging this poo poo up

Is he following them around the galaxy making sure they never stay in the same place too long like Col. Decker of the A-Team?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I ain't gettin' on no starship, and I ain't drinkin' no blue milk-- I remember last time.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

*folds arms* Alright FFG, give us the stats for Baze's repeater and Chirrut's crossbow

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PupsOfWar posted:

*folds arms* Alright FFG, give us the stats for Baze's repeater and Chirrut's crossbow

Same but U Wings and TIE Strikers.

My "headcanon" is that deathtroopers are no better than regular storm troopers but Krennic is enough of a pretentious dipshit to feel like he merits a special honor guard. It's like how Ghadaffi had his bodyguard of sexy ninja babes, only less cool.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Maybe the deathtroopers are a bunch of extremely wizened old clone commandos, which is why they move so slowly and stiffly

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

My "headcanon" is that deathtroopers are no better than regular storm troopers but Krennic is enough of a pretentious dipshit to feel like he merits a special honor guard. It's like how Ghadaffi had his bodyguard of sexy ninja babes, only less cool.

Speaking of which, smh if your Hutts don't all have bodyguards of sexy ninja babes

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I will be very disappointed if the Martial Artist in No Disintegrations doesn’t come with talents for using improvised weapons. I want to be Jackie Chan, Bounty Hunter.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
With the crazy digitized noise they make I think Death Troopers are droids - or we're maybe supposed to be at one point in production.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

To quote the Art of Rogue One book, Gareth Edwards "was initially thinking there could be a middle version, something between a soldier and a droid - a special detachment belonging to Krennic that was a mixture of organic and mechanical. He wanted to make it clear through the design - to show that the brain was gone by giving them helmets no human could actually wear. Red lights under the dome."

(I bought myself the book for Christmas, and I'm going to mine the hell out of it for ideas for my next campaign)

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
They are basically Dark Troopers from the Dark Forces game.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Rogue One is basically a loose adaptation of Dark Forces, with Suave Spanish Kyle Katarn

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

nelson posted:

Is he following them around the galaxy making sure they never stay in the same place too long like Col. Decker of the A-Team?

And leave his office on Coruscant? Nah, he's got people to do that for him.

For now.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Blockhouse posted:

And leave his office on Coruscant? Nah, he's got people to do that for him.

For now.

He probably has incredible resources because of how much Palpy hates jedi and jedi wannabees but continued failure is going to drive him out of refuge to finish the job before he's Vadered to death.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mister Bates posted:

Rogue One is basically a loose adaptation of Dark Forces, with Suave Spanish Kyle Katarn

Except Kyle Katarn wouldn't have died like a bitch and would have not only escaped Scarif but would have punched a Kell Dragon to death on his way out, alone.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

According to Wookiepedia the Deathtroopers are an experiment in keeping troopers going after grevious injury, so they should be dead and their mechanical voices give the impression of also being part Droid.

I'm really dying to get stats for them, the U-wing and those Strikers. For now I figure you'd treat them as (I forget what they're called off the top of my head) next step up from minions.

Though unrelated are there stats for the ARC-170 fighter?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

KomradeX posted:

According to Wookiepedia the Deathtroopers are an experiment in keeping troopers going after grevious injury, so they should be dead and their mechanical voices give the impression of also being part Droid.

I'm really dying to get stats for them, the U-wing and those Strikers. For now I figure you'd treat them as (I forget what they're called off the top of my head) next step up from minions.

So basically, the Deathtroopers are basically Phase Zero Dark Troopers from Legends?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
In my campaign I've been using Dark Troopers for a while, now. Stats are on pg 421 of AoR core book. I think they work pretty well as deathtroopers from R1.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Just give regular stormtroopers another point or two of soak, maybe a slightly better gun.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

So basically, the Deathtroopers are basically Phase Zero Dark Troopers from Legends?

As far as I can understand from Wookiepedia that seems to be the case

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KomradeX posted:

According to the visual guide, they are just named after the rumor that the Emperor was trying to do that and are just elite stormtroopers. It's a throwback to the EU deathtroopers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've got a player who wants to stack on a bunch of Obligation to start out the game with enough credits to buy a Disruptor Rifle, and then buy said disruptor rifle as part of his starting equipment. The gimmick is that he has neither the strength to wield it effectively nor the skill to aim it (he's playing as a reformed arms dealer using the Diplomat/Quartermaster class and exactly one point in the Ranged Heavy skill), so, in theory, rather than breaking the early game over his knee he's just going to be ineffectually spraying his war crime gun in the general direction of the enemy.

It would actually fit his character concept pretty well; he's a Neimoidian merchant who got his name as a war profiteer during the Clone Wars, became phenomenally rich, and was forced to lose it all and get involved in the Rebellion after some close business associates turned Rebel and basically dragged him along with them. He's starting with 25 points of the Bad Reputation obligation because who he is and what he used to be are widely known, and that gave him enough credits to get his blinged-out gold-plated disruptor rifle. It's a cool idea and I want to go with it, but do y'all think it would break the game too much?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Mister Bates posted:

I've got a player who wants to stack on a bunch of Obligation to start out the game with enough credits to buy a Disruptor Rifle, and then buy said disruptor rifle as part of his starting equipment. The gimmick is that he has neither the strength to wield it effectively nor the skill to aim it (he's playing as a reformed arms dealer using the Diplomat/Quartermaster class and exactly one point in the Ranged Heavy skill), so, in theory, rather than breaking the early game over his knee he's just going to be ineffectually spraying his war crime gun in the general direction of the enemy.

It would actually fit his character concept pretty well; he's a Neimoidian merchant who got his name as a war profiteer during the Clone Wars, became phenomenally rich, and was forced to lose it all and get involved in the Rebellion after some close business associates turned Rebel and basically dragged him along with them. He's starting with 25 points of the Bad Reputation obligation because who he is and what he used to be are widely known, and that gave him enough credits to get his blinged-out gold-plated disruptor rifle. It's a cool idea and I want to go with it, but do y'all think it would break the game too much?

I mean it sounds like an amazing character that I would love to hear more about, so I'd let him do it. DIsruptors are only super dangerous if you can get the advantages for them anyway.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Savidudeosoo posted:

I mean it sounds like an amazing character that I would love to hear more about, so I'd let him do it. DIsruptors are only super dangerous if you can get the advantages for them anyway.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing with that character, especially with some of the other people in the party. It includes an elderly Kaminoan scientist who joined the Rebellion because she's wracked with guilt over her involvement in the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire and has a personal quest to rescue as many surviving clones as possible, as well as a sapient droideka which is now mostly spare parts and junk, has a voice modulator whose volume settings range from 'uncomfortably loud' to 'dangerously loud', likes to tell war stories constantly, and is committed to the cause of droid rights and equality for manufactured life forms. Those three in particular should get along hilariously.

It's a lot different from the party we started to come up with earlier in character creation, most people heavily revised their character at least once, but I think we're just about finished.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Disruptors are broken and have no place in a Star Wars game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Malcolm "The Refrigerator" Bresik will not apologize for evaporating stormtroopers.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Fuzz posted:

What about when Vader scolds Boba Fett for "no disintegrations"?

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Malcolm "The Refrigerator" Bresik will not apologize for evaporating stormtroopers.

Please, Malcolm's nickname is either "Bad Cop" or "The Immortal" and he should never apologize for evaporating Stormtroopers

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I think MustacheRide let me get up to like 11 soak in that game, it was a little absurd.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Is the ARC-170 statted out in any of these books?

For that matter, is there a list of all the ships available in all versions of the game anywhere?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Covok posted:

According to the visual guide, they are just named after the rumor that the Emperor was trying to do that and are just elite stormtroopers. It's a throwback to the EU deathtroopers.

This is what Wookiepedia says

quote:

Death Troopers were named after a legendary Advanced Weapons Research project to revive necrotic tissue,[1] which resulted in the creation of uncontrollable Undead Troopers.

And because I have not read anything beyond that, connected books etc, that's all I know about it.

Mister Bates posted:

Is the ARC-170 statted out in any of these books?

For that matter, is there a list of all the ships available in all versions of the game anywhere?

I would like to second this.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Bates posted:

I don't know how up to date or accurate this is, but it at least works as an index.

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/transportation/

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I don't know how up to date or accurate this is, but it at least works as an index.

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/transportation/
It doesn't quite have everything but it's really useful.

There's no ARC stats but the scout version appears in Force and Destiny's Savage Spirits splat.

(I've done a few other ship cards like that here)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Talkie Toaster posted:

There's no ARC stats but the scout version appears in Force and Destiny's Savage Spirits splat.

These cards are good poo poo, well done!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Talkie Toaster posted:

You need to camp out on FFG's doorstep with those cards until they release them officially like the NPC/Critical Hit ones.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I love the NPC cards. Do you guys use the crit cards, though? I guess I'm not hurting my guys enough to get use out of critical hit cards. Or are the crit cards more of a player tool instead of a GM tool?

But yes, a set of ship cards (with typical pilot stats) would be something I'd throw lots of money at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The FFG webstore accidently leaked the title and cover of the Consular sourcebook: