Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Still have more to play through but rise of the tomb Raider feels like a great follow up. I think I might like it even more than the original 2013 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I can't believe there is a Playstation app, and a Messages app, and now there is a Communities app.

I'm going to have a folder on my phone just for playstation bullshit.

mrurth
Apr 21, 2005

I'm looking for a headset for my PS4 slim. It doesn't have an optical out, so what are my options for a headset that has a mixer for chat audio and game audio? Preference is a set of over ear cans.

Thanks!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was totally onboard with Odin Sphere: Sphere Harder's changes until I became aware of ability trees. That's a level of micromanagement that I don't think the new brawler-centric style really needs.

It's far from a deal-breaker, though. I remember when Gwendolyn was the most boring of the combatants because the stamina system meant that you couldn't really do much damage to an enemy without abusing the clone-attack potions. Now it's "once I get your feet off the ground, they're not going to touch it again until I cut them off the rest of your body."

AggroJagg
Mar 7, 2007
Hermits aren't broken, just favoured.

Nija posted:

I can't believe there is a Playstation app, and a Messages app, and now there is a Communities app.

I still have the all in one app. It still nags me to update it, but I just force close it and reopen and it all works.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Alright, so I've been deliberately putting off buying one of these until the price dropped a bit, and now that I've gotten a crapload of Amazon gift cards for Christmas I figure it's about time to bite the bullet. But I've got a few questions first:
* Which HDD size should I buy? I saw in the OP about replacing them with other, larger options but for the moment that seems like an unnecessary thing, since I do most of my gaming on PC and was only intending to get a handful of mostly exclusive titles. Will the 500GB be enough to handle 10-15 games worth of data?
* Is there any big, significant difference between the original and the slim? Is it worth going for the slim?
*Here's my current list of games I was definitely planning on getting:
Bloodborne
Infamous 2nd son
Persona 5
Death stranding
Last of us part 2
Final fantasy xii: zodiac age
Anyone got any other suggestions of games that are worth getting that are PS4 exclusive?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am not sure about Persona 5 after playing the Japanese version. It's very different from the last two games, and I say this as a gigantic fanboy of Persona 3 and 4.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

I am not sure about Persona 5 after playing the Japanese version. It's very different from the last two games, and I say this as a gigantic fanboy of Persona 3 and 4.

ImpAtom has declared the Japanese version of Persona 5 to be his 2015 goty on many occasions. This year we will truly see if the RPG savant has good taste.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

of all the games this year I trust to be good, I trust persona 5 to be good the most

mostly because it was already released and "I am not sure about persona 5" is by far the most negative thing I've ever heard about it

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
If you never got the vita version Gravity Rush Remastered is super good and the sequel will be out this month. there is a demo for the sequel if you want an idea of the gameplay.

If you ever loved Ico and thought it was the pinnacle of gaming and also want a goofy catbird friend to journey with then I'd cautiously recommend The Last Guardian, or maybe just rent. Do avoid it if the idea of a camera with a half second delay, framerate below 20, and a triangle jump button upset you greatly.

Infamous Second Son is pretty good but First Light is honestly better. If there is a bundle then get that.

Nier Automata isn't on your list (I think it's exclusive?), I recommend downloading the demo from PSN and seeing if you like it.

Nioh comes out next month. Nioh is a good game.

SamuraiPaul fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 3, 2017

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

When would be a good time to get the BloodBorne DLC ?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

fit em all up in there posted:

Now, duh.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

before jan 20

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Probably around level 60 your first time through the game, but you can access the new area a lot earlier than that and suicide-run your way through it for some cool lootboxes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You do not want to play it for the first time on ng+.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Snak posted:

You do not want to play it for the first time on ng+.

I'm imagining trying to learn the last boss on NG+ and :gonk:

Get DLC.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

bloodychill posted:

ImpAtom has declared the Japanese version of Persona 5 to be his 2015 goty on many occasions. This year we will truly see if the RPG savant has good taste.
I'm not finished yet (65 hours in and still five months to go...) but yeah I'd say its drat good.

edit: my biggest complaint though is absolutely MASSIVE amounts of time with no combat and no decision-making. Like, a week and a half straight where everything is out of your control. The series always had periods like this but it gets kind of nuts in 5.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 3, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea 60 is the minimum but you could also wait longer and still be fine. the final boss of the dlc in particular is the hardest in the game imo

you can run past stuff to pick up weapons and upgrade materials in the first area before actually trying to do it for real as well. lotta nice stuff on the ground in that area

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Boogalo posted:

I'm imagining trying to learn the last boss on NG+ and :gonk:

Get DLC.

I did this! It was glorious. :getin:

What you really don't want to do is go after Manus in the DS1 DLC at NG+4. That was awful.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SamuraiPaul posted:

If you never got the vita version Gravity Rush Remastered is super good and the sequel will be out this month. there is a demo for the sequel if you want an idea of the gameplay.

If you ever loved Ico and thought it was the pinnacle of gaming and also want a goofy catbird friend to journey with then I'd cautiously recommend The Last Guardian, or maybe just rent. Do avoid it if the idea of a camera with a half second delay, framerate below 20, and a triangle jump button upset you greatly.

Infamous Second Son is pretty good but First Light is honestly better. If there is a bundle then get that.

Nier Automata isn't on your list (I think it's exclusive?), I recommend downloading the demo from PSN and seeing if you like it.

Nioh comes out next month. Nioh is a good game.

Alright, I'll look into those. Never played the original Nier. Or were there two? I remember it being some really odd game naming schema.

Anyone got answers on whether the slim is worth it? With where I'm planning to put it space might be an issue, but not an unresolvable one so I'm hesitant to spend more than I need to.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm One-T-Matt on psn and I'm down to play Overwatch, titanfall 2, black ops 3 or, well, anything you see on my trophy list. Feel free to add me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nija posted:

Yet there is no separate store app, I hate having to open the PlayStation app and wait for it just to get to the store

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Alright, I'll look into those. Never played the original Nier. Or were there two? I remember it being some really odd game naming schema.

Anyone got answers on whether the slim is worth it? With where I'm planning to put it space might be an issue, but not an unresolvable one so I'm hesitant to spend more than I need to.

nier is part of the same universe as drakengard. it's a branching path from the first game, where the other path is drakengard 2 and 3

basically it goes drakengard ending e->nier->nier 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yet there is no separate store app, I hate having to open the PlayStation app and wait for it just to get to the store

If Sony were good at mobile software (which they're absolutely not), they could make a killer Playstation app that just combines all the current apps they have and a functioning store app that isn't just the web store displayed in a cheap browser.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The Nier devs split the difference of trying to appeal to differing gaming tastes by making two versions, one with a handsome young man as the protag, one with a grizzly older dude. They were released in Japan as Nier:Replicant and Nier:Gestalt respectively. The West only got the burly dude version under the title 'Nier.'

It's a branch from the Drakengard series as MC said but playing Drakengard isn't essential (blessedly).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are very good let's plays in the lp archive of all of the previous games if you want the story tho

idk how much knowing the last game will factor into the story of the second, but the gameplay in the demo is really good. you shouldn't need to play the first game to have fun at least

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Confirming the Drakengard LP is a ride. I have 3 still unplayed on my shelf.

I think N:A is on the far side of another giant gulf of time so it'll prolly be a reasonable standalone. There'll be a dozen 'What you need to know about NIER to understand NIER:AUTOMATA' youtubes within a week of release too most likely.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Peel posted:

Confirming the Drakengard LP is a ride. I have 3 still unplayed on my shelf.

I think N:A is on the far side of another giant gulf of time so it'll prolly be a reasonable standalone. There'll be a dozen 'What you need to know about NIER to understand NIER:AUTOMATA' youtubes within a week of release too most likely.

My understanding is that Automata is a few hundred years after Drakengard and a thousand or 2 before Nier.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mrurth posted:

I'm looking for a headset for my PS4 slim. It doesn't have an optical out, so what are my options for a headset that has a mixer for chat audio and game audio? Preference is a set of over ear cans.

Thanks!

Best bet is probably the sony gold headset ($80-ish) or the sony platinum ($160) coming out later this month. Amazon says January 10t. The golds use a dongle hookup only for 100% wireless and you can control game/chat audio and I can only assume the platinum will do both as well. Most other headsets use an optical connection via dongle or headset base.

That said, depending on your TV, I think you could do Slim > TV > optical out on TV > headset and it'll work

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 3, 2017

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've never played Nier or Drakenguard but the Automata demo was awesome and I'm really looking forward to that game now

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The basic gist that you need to carry over from Drakengard from Nier is the following:

1. An angry mute fight a giant naked chick in a rythym game while riding a dragon over Tokyo.
2. The giant naked chick then dissolved into a magical salt/snow and got blown away
3. The dude and the dragon got blown up by F-16s and the dragon was impaled on Tokyo Tower
4. The magical snow/salt severely hosed up the world and ended the world by infecting people with a magical infectious disease that scientists had little time to understand.
5. Nier takes place centuries after this in a post apocalyptic world.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

My understanding is that Automata is a few hundred years after Drakengard and a thousand or 2 before Nier.

Nier Automata takes place after Nier. There's some expanded material that brings up stuff that occurs around the world away from the events of Nier and there's apparently an alien invasion?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Nier Automata takes place after Nier. There's some expanded material that brings up stuff that occurs around the world away from the events of Nier and there's apparently an alien invasion?

Oh boy more giant space babys.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The year in the demo is something like 11925 AD.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a trick to getting the shipping container crane to actually pick poo poo up in watch dogs? I'm hitting R1 an dit doesn't do anything.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a trick to getting the shipping container crane to actually pick poo poo up in watch dogs? I'm hitting R1 an dit doesn't do anything.

You have to join the stevedore union first, scab. :q:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Sony were good at mobile software (which they're absolutely not), they could make a killer Playstation app that just combines all the current apps they have and a functioning store app that isn't just the web store displayed in a cheap browser.

Communities app sounds pointless but I actually like the messages app split. It's super quick to launch compared to the main PS app and it's a nice way to fire off messages to people who aren't on a mic during gameplay.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

exploded mummy posted:

The basic gist that you need to carry over from Drakengard from Nier is the following:

1. An angry mute fight a giant naked chick in a rythym game while riding a dragon over Tokyo.

Giant grotesquely pregnant chick giving birth to countless giant demon babies. The details are always where it gets worse with Drakengard.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bloodychill posted:

Giant grotesquely pregnant chick giving birth to countless giant demon babies. The details are always where it gets worse with Drakengard.

I started to do a recap of the Drakengard 3 and 1, but I got to the sex pigeons and then decided to give the 30,000 foot view instead.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Drakengard set up such a baseline for weirdness that Nier choosing to go for a different tone completely was probably the best thing for it. Drakengard 2 doesn't even try and suffers for all the ways it's really not a Yoko Taro game (being, in fact, not a Yoko Taro game) and Drakengard 3 tries but is a different weird that never quite goes to the extent of Drakengard. Drakengard 3 is also a better game, though, so it evens out.

Also Manatee: Drakengard 3 is a prequel and it connected to the Nier stuff in a couple ways, primarily the android lady and probably the stuff involving Cathedral City.

Draken/Nier is extremely my type of narrative and I've delved a little too deep.

• Locked thread