Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Has there been enormous game changing things in the last few months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Amuys posted:

Has there been enormous game changing things in the last few months?

In a nutshell: holy poo poo yes. The biggest one is the dynamically generated locations and quests regarding the historic locations of the sultans of Qud.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cut off a turret's sensor array and can wear it now and make other turrets super mad

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Angry Diplomat posted:

The "gently caress Intelligence, get swole" fighty Artifex build recommended upthread is really dang good, wow. I've got an absolutely murderous axe-swinging, Eigenrifle-toting True Kin who just stomped the unspeakable hell out of Bethesda Susa. That's partly due to being bros with the Mechanimists thanks to a rampage through a historic site crammed with glow-wight heroes that absolutely everyone hated, but this dude just totally chumped everything in his path, slaughtering Cragmensch with ease and hilariously clowning all three troll bosses thanks to a hologram bracelet and liberal Eigenrifle application.

Playing a melee-heavy physical Artifex is seriously like Arcanum: the Roguelike. You hoard schematics, gather parts, and slowly work your way up from a nerd with a club to some kind of insane steampunk hell knight with spring-loaded bounding boots, machined plate armour, an electrified mechano-axe, and a gun that shoots lightning bolts. And as blood and severed body parts fall like rain, the only thing on your mind is, "oh boy I bet one of these guys has a cool gadget I can smash to put an ostentatious fur collar on my techno-mail so I'm slightly more immune to cold and fire" because you are become nerd, destroyer of worlds.

:allears: What's your particular build/stat allocation there?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I have my flaming ick ingredients ready, but I have a tiny problem. I haven't seen a canteen the entire goddamn game.

I have clay jugs, I have oilskins, I have glass jars, I have water skins, I have not seen a goddamn canteen.

Can I just light my clay jugs on fire? Or toast an oil skin or something?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
canteen, mug, i think whatever works

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feature request: Build library uploaded to the Steam Cloud. Got to work early, wanted to play around with a build I was using last night at home a few times (but it wasn't my latest build, does the latest get uploaded?), and had no one in my library.

Is this a huge ask, or relatively trivial? Also, is there anyone else who would like this, or am I in the minority?

EDIT: Also, synthbuttrange, just added you on Steam as I saw you had reviewed this game. Kind of surprised I didn't already have you on there.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 2, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Synthbuttrange posted:

I cut off a turret's sensor array and can wear it now and make other turrets super mad

Haha fantastic

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Anticheese posted:

:allears: What's your particular build/stat allocation there?

This gave me decent combat stats right from the get-go, with tons of flexibility as the game went on. No glaring weaknesses, either. I invested in the intro bows&rifles skills plus Kickback and then went into Heavy Weapons but that didn't really produce much in the way of dividends; on the other hand, it synergizes well with my "just dump most levelup points in Strength and be really good at axes" strategy, and rocking a Slender Chaingun with weight 3 due to the halved-weapon-weight skill was certainly entertaining up until I traded up to the Eigenrifle. Really need to find myself a flamer though.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ugh, I basically have a game over since my face spores aggro'd all of the Barathrumites during the Call to Arms quest. Is there a way those could be set to only harm already hostile factions? It was a big pain trying to manage that the whole playthrough.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hey bazomatic

Re: OP

You may want to add that CoQ was voted one of the top 10 games in 2015 by Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming/g2339/best-rpgs-2015/

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hey bazomatic

You may want to add that CoQ was voted one of the top 10 games in 2015 by Popular Mechanics

That is... an odd list.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Fuligin posted:

That is... an odd list.

It is certainly a list of games.

Having a screenshot of the old free version while talking about the Steam version in the most general terms does lend a certain air of "oh poo poo, book report article is due tomorrow, what can I google up in an hour?"

"…In conclusion, Qud is a land of contrasts"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Glimpse posted:

Having a screenshot of the old free version while talking about the Steam version in the most general terms does lend a certain air of "oh poo poo, book report article is due tomorrow, what can I google up in an hour?"

That reviewer should have just copied Angry Diplomat'd 'review'.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Spreading the CoQ love to others.

http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,948.1335.html

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You are doing good work. This game deserves more exposure.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hey bazomatic

That was a nice one off the bucket list. Now if I could just get Top 10 games of the National Geophysicist Unions Games about Rocks list.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Glimpse posted:

This underground gam

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Spreading it like a wanted fungal infection. Good job :golfclap:

JUST EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. I love that part, Angry Diplomat :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

When fighting Putus Templar in the Asphalt mines, bring a flamethrower

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yes, that definitely looks like a good decision made by a sane person.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

JUST EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. I love that part, Angry Diplomat :allears:

When I first started playing I ate a bear and then just laughed hysterically for like a minute, because I literally just ate a whole bear, what the gently caress is this game. I like CoQ a lot.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 3, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay I think I really like the Asphalt mines for loot diving. It's pretty neat, there's all kinds of stuff and if you go deep enough and have glass vials, you might even try getting bottles of lava for fun and profit.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If you have the Amphibious mutation, no anti-thirst skills, and a recycling suit, do you end up with a net gain, loss, or equilibrium of fresh water?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Man, how do you all get so far in this game? I know that's the equivalent of asking "how will I ever ring the bells?" in Dark Souls, but I mean... Goddamn :negative:

Any advice other than "Get gud Qud"?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you have the Amphibious mutation, no anti-thirst skills, and a recycling suit, do you end up with a net gain, loss, or equilibrium of fresh water?

Net loss in my experience, until you grab a Recycling data disk and make recycling compass bracelets and boots and gloves and

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man, how do you all get so far in this game? I know that's the equivalent of asking "how will I ever ring the bells?" in Dark Souls, but I mean... Goddamn :negative:

Visit historical sites, steal their entire libraries.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Angry Diplomat posted:

When I first started playing I ate a bear and then just laughed hysterically for like a minute, because I literally just ate a whole bear, what the gently caress is this game. I like CoQ a lot.

FYI, Bear Corpses (whole ones) are good money early game. In fact they're worth so much I wonder if it's a bug.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

In a nutshell, run the gently caress away from threats all the time, and to identify threats: bind Look to a key you can comfortably use so you look at everything all the goddamn time and run away if you don't know how to kill it. That's probably my #1 piece of generalized advice, with #2 being "scum until you can get buff/until you learn how to get buff without scumming." By that I mean for a while, every character I had grinded glowfish until level 3, then carefully went to the rustwells without going overland so I could collect more food/kill snapjaws on the way/not get lost and be hosed if I run into deadly poo poo. I don't really remember what culminated in me being able to drop that playstyle. Similarly, I played almost every character with Carapace and/or freezing until I got comfortable without either.

I seriously want to schedule a stream of a starter game of Qud and explain why I do a bunch of poo poo, including some limited scumming, but I'm sort of dragging my feet (also barely able to actually make a new OP which I should really just do since I got a decent amount of content between what I posted before and what people have contributed). Plus that means I have to not play my current character, heh. I love Qud because I can basically play it like Diablo Hardcore in terms of just diving and getting loot, but there's also a nifty story filled with fungal bullshit!

Vietnom nom nom posted:

FYI, Bear Corpses (whole ones) are good money early game. In fact they're worth so much I wonder if it's a bug.

Interesting, I would've never thought to check this, but looking at ObjectBlueprints, bear corpses only weigh 40 pounds (for reference snapjaw corpses weigh 120 for whatever reason, so that's DEFINITELY wrong) and are worth a base of $100 (vs, again for context, bear jerky's *$1*). Thematically it makes sense, in that a bear corpse can do a lot in a post-apoc society (meat, fur, claws/teeth, even a bone-shiv, even though none of that is really implemented aside from raw bear meat and jerky).

I bet bear corpses are supposed to weigh 400 since a ton of other bigass animal corpses do (amoebas iirc, electric slugs, off the top of my head).

I... play and dissect this game entirely too drat much.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 3, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

be a coward. (this is good advice in almost all RLs)

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
So what can I actually do with a hoversled? This is the second time I've found one, and while it's equippable it doesn't say what if anything it does.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
While its equipped it lowers your current weight by a poo poo ton, letting you carry a lot more.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

"leaves"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Man, how do you all get so far in this game?
I can't speak for anyone else's methods, but I generally make it pretty far, and my typical start is:

• Rob all the chests in Joppa. Buy all the vinewafers unless you're Amphibious. Buy all of the Dromad's ammo. Equip your light source to the thrown items slot, which is a bug(?) I hope never ever gets fixed because it makes the game so much less miserable.

• Get the quests from the Zealot, Mehmet and Argyve. If you found non-valuable artifacts in town or on the trader, hand 'em over to Argyve.

• Fast travel to Red Rock.

• Get a bow off a snapjaw if you didn't buy one off the Dromad or start with one. Anything even vaguely threatening should get pincushioned on the way over to you. Boomrose arrows are a great panic button against anything you can't reasonably defeat otherwise.

• Rest to full after every fight, there's a hotkey for it.

• It's Roguelike 101, but it bears repeating: lure everything into a corridor and fight them one at a time unless you know for a fact they can't threaten you. Snapjaws have Swarmer, so letting them surround you is A Bad Idea.

• Grab every iron or better item. Yes, iron isn't super valuable for its weight, but unless you're a shrimpy little esper or something, you have a lot of spare carry capacity early on. Every point of it you don't use before you go back to town and sell is wasted. If you fill up, drop stuff as you need to pick up more valuable stuff.

• Look at everything unfamiliar, because if the game says it's an "Average" threat, that means that at the very least it has a good shot at kicking your rear end.

• Sprint or just walk away if you aren't winning the damage race with something. Never let enemies get between you and the stairs if you can avoid it. A swarm can be turned into a stream of single enemies just by going upstairs.

• When you get to the bottom of Red Rock and get your girshling corpse, take the underground tunnels back to Joppa. If you make it back to Joppa, you'll have leveled up several times and you'll also find a lot of very nice stuff, including (probably) a Sphere of Negative Weight.

• If you struggle to get through the underground tunnels, go back to Joppa and turn in the girshling to get some injectors. Don't hesitate to use them, every injector you don't use will go to waste on your corpse. Mutants have a failure rate on injectors, so don't wait until you have 2 health to use a salve injector unless you like getting screwed by the RNG.

• If you kite an enemy to the very edge of a screen transition and cross into the other zone, you can attack that enemy across the transition without getting attacked back. Their AI will try to avoid moving next to a screen transition for this reason, but it's not very hard to do if you're fighting a group or exploit the terrain.

• Sell everything in town, buy anything good off the Dromad, then go do the Rust Wells and/or the historical site. After all that, you should be more than good to head off to Grit Gate. Make sure you buy the 1000+ lead slugs and a recoiler off the trader there.

From there you're basically past what I'd call the "early game." I usually head down to Kyakuya to get Corpus Choliys, then recoil to Grit Gate and head to the Six Day Stilt for disease cure ingredients and schematics. Once I'm set for glotrot and ironshank and I feel tough enough, I do Gologotha. If you get one of the really bad chutes (chute crabs, electricity), you should get off that conveyor ASAP and get onto another one. Fire and acid are much more manageable. Oh, and it's worth bringing as many HE or thermal grenades as you can hoard to Golgotha. You can use them to blast yourself a path through the sludge to minimize the number of times a sewage eel can grab you.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does being frozen (or otherwise immobilized) reduce your DV to zero?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not sure, but frozen people with shields can still block my attacks. :downs:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Okay, stupid question time.

Is there a way to do A Call To Arms easily as an upstanding member with the Putus templar?

Or should I just stand back and chuck grenades at them, because it's as far as I've gotten.

Side note: I had to turn permadeath off because holy poo poo do the full screen color filters wreck my ability to see and play the game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thanks for all the tips, guys! A few I knew already, but probably kept forgetting (like don't get swarmed... it's very 'duh!', but it kept happening, and I would forget to sprint away).

Also, I tried out the minimap, and it's very neat, but it's a shame that it stays there on top of your stat screen. I realize it was just implemented, so there'll most likely be changes and fixes. I have to wonder, though... with a game like this, where every area is a full screen's worth, don't you already kind of have a map anyway, just by looking at the screen/gameplay area itself?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is water money ? I don't understand. What is a dram?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

euphronius posted:

Is water money ? I don't understand. What is a dram?

Yes, water is money (and also... y'know... water, which you need to drink :ohdear:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dram_(unit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is denoted by the $ symbol then?