Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i kind of want to see them just stomp the poo poo out of the floors from now on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

i kind of want to see them just stomp the poo poo out of the floors from now on

It'd be nice to see them stomp one floor for a short relaxation chapter after we finish the Floor of Death and probably also the Hell Train but I think mostly SiU skips the boring floors.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
It would be cool, but since the group is progressing unnaturally fast (though not the fastEST), it kind of makes sense that they aren't stomping floors. They're stronger than they should be for their time in the tower -> they get moved ahead to people that have been there longer and have had more time to train, so in the end their speed in climbing ends up balancing out somewhat.

More specifically to the current events: Yeah, it's entirely possible being that some of them are being trained by high rankers, and one by a 'demigod'

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Except for Kaiser, they did stomp the name stealing station, but even during that fight they all knew Bam wasn't going to lose.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The gang is extremely well dressed this week, dang.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

can't wait for baam to poo poo all over everyone although i'm not sure why his new power is only possible for him

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Jose posted:

can't wait for baam to poo poo all over everyone although i'm not sure why his new power is only possible for him

It's because as an Irregular he doesn't require a contract with the floor guardians to use Shinsu, so he, and other irrregulars, can use abilities that ordinary regulars can't.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i know i just don't see how this power is different to any of the others

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A proper irregular power would be something like "create an explosion from inside the body of a dude."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

idk why gravity powers are so popular in manga/manwha but at least a black hole is properly dangerous

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Maybe a shinsoo black hole sucks up so much shinsoo that other people won't be able too manipulate shinsoo for themselves.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe it sucks the shinsu out of people that it hits, reducing their defences and removing the stuff they need to live.

It'll probably do whatever the plot needs, though.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

i know i just don't see how this power is different to any of the others

So I believe the primary difference (based, at least, on past blog posts and setting posts) is that the shinsoo that regulars use is effectively a limited "artificial" power granted by the floor's guardians (the contracts), and what Baam is learning is a way to use the "natural" shinsoo that is present on each floor.

I don't have the slightest idea if it can only be used in super-cool-anime-gravity powers, but there's setting-wise a tangible difference between the way irregulars use shinsoo and the ways regulars do. There was also the chapter way back in season 1 where Baam met the 2nd floor's guardian and was told that these contracts are shackles.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It just seems like irregulars are able to control more Baangs in general. I don't know why this particular ability is supposed to be different, but it seems like irregulars are able to pull whatever shinsoo is made out of from outside the tower itself. The guardians provide the shinsoo in the tower overall, perhaps more shinsoo the higher up. High rankers have been able to hold like 30 baangs, but Enryuu was able to pull out like 10k baangs once which just doesn't even sound like it would be possible if every guardian in the tower combined together. I have a feeling that the thing that is unique to him as a irregular is the WAY he learns this ability, not the ability itself. Being able to analyze shinsoo at such a detailed level which is improved if it interacts with him directly is probably what's being referred to as unique.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think of it as having a contract with the Tower itself rather than the guardians of each floor.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wish this series handled power-creep a bit better. While it's cool that there are many people stronger than Bam that we hear about (and so it's not as bad as DBZ style "just kidding... THIS is the strongest person in the universe" after the protagonist beats the last big bad), a lot of the potential benefits of that disappear because we don't often see them, and the storyline practically never has Bam fighting them. There are all these rankers, but they can't properly interact with the cast without "breaking the rules". Then there is Bam being ludicrously more powerful than all his allies and enemies.

Credit where it's due, this is clearly a recognized problem. I imagine it's why we're getting Khun and Endorsi training powerups, and Hoaqin continuing to exist as a "really strong/high potential, but in Bam's league" enemy. But I find that I can't really get exited about Bam getting powerups (partly because they happen constantly, and almost always for him alone), or his fights. He's already strong enough to stomp everyone he runs into, and then he gets extra power-ups just for the hell of it. Bam randomly absorbing all of the souls in Hoaqin for a massive powerup, getting another power up now, plus the thorn (which we've learned isn't complete, so he's probably going to get the rest of that too etc). It's just too much.

For all the other faults it has, Naruto was actually really good with this. There were always more powerful characters, the fights always had stakes, and Naruto gradually getting stronger and stronger was fun and rewarding. Similarly HxH is good in handling powerups because it emphasizes severe downsides and limitations to quick powerups. I think "protagonist is weaker than enemies, but then trains to get cool powerup, then comes back and beats them" is a fundamental shounen archetype for a reason, it's just a lot of fun. I just find it hard to care about Bam getting a powerup to go from 1000x to 1100x stronger than the next mope he's going to grind to dust.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm not really sure if Baam has ever been ludicrously more powerful than everyone around him, he just has insane shinsoo control and people keep trying to shinsoo battle him. I'd actually say the majority of the people Baam travels with and encounters could beat his rear end because he's not that clever. Khun and Endoorsi only need training because they can't just rely on Baam as a shinsoo shield any longer, but I don't see how he would beat either of them. People like Sachi Faker also fit into this.

Also, Naruto was really bad at this, I'm not seeing your point. Fights always had stakes due to overdramatization and Naruto didn't get gradually stronger, he just had too much chakra and sometimes blacked out to do the saiyan monkey transformation whenever he was backed into a corner. The first real fight versus Haku was exciting but Kishi just kept repeating that over and over again with different characters. It took Naruto 8 years to get any smarter.

Also also, there's no way Hoaquin isn't way out of Baam's league. He lost a game against Baam with the help of one of the strongest crews in the entire tower and because he didn't expect the dude to eat a bunch of souls and do his move. I'm not saying Baam is a particularly compelling character, but let's not insult him by comparing him to any character in Naruto.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I'm not really sure if Baam has ever been ludicrously more powerful than everyone around him, he just has insane shinsoo control and people keep trying to shinsoo battle him. I'd actually say the majority of the people Baam travels with and encounters could beat his rear end because he's not that clever. Khun and Endoorsi only need training because they can't just rely on Baam as a shinsoo shield any longer, but I don't see how he would beat either of them. People like Sachi Faker also fit into this.

Um, no, Baam could pretty easily defeat the overwhelming majority of other regulars around the same floor as him. Shinsoo is almost everything in the Tower and isn't just stuff like energy blasts; it also determines your physical strength, etc. Baam is also able to absorb/instantly learn stuff like martial arts; remember how he went on a pilgrimage to a bunch of dojos to let people beat up on him and then fought Daniel (who was a very strong regular at that point) in melee using a combination of all the different martial arts he learned?

He could absolutely defeat Khun and could also probably beat Endorsi unless he let his guard down or something.

edit: There's also the scene soon after he first appears as Viole where he effortlessly owns the regulars that would later join him (Wangnan etc) and some of those regulars (like Arkraptor) were quite strong.

Basically no one can fight against Baam except for people like Hoaqin who are abnormal in some way or on a floor way below where they should be based on their skill/power.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 11, 2017

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bam's biggest weakness is his naivety. If a FUG ranker walked up to him, offered him a (poisoned) drink and then stabbed him in the back, Bam would be asking for seconds on that drink.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"Will this drink help Rachel get back with me?"

"uh...ya"

*gulps it down without a second thought*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-233/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=314

well now we know why that power is ridiculous

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

If there's no limit on how much the black hole can absorb, Bam can probably go kill Administrators himself.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I feel like Baam doesn't even know how powerful that attack is and he's going to use it at full power and kill some friends and innocent people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seems confirmation that Baraka and Wangnan are sons of Jahad and as such can't be killed by regulars/rankers

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

Seems confirmation that Baraka and Wangnan are sons of Jahad and as such can't be killed by regulars/rankers

I wonder what happens if you completely obliterate Wangnan's body, since he can still get hosed up pretty bad and take a while to recover. Does he just slowly reconstitute from a random cell or something?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

as with all immortality powers its best to ignore it unless its explicity stated

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-234/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=315

I've had a strong suspicion that Urek Mazino would be showing up on this floor.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Bam feeling at home in the blood of an administrator, where nobody can use shinsu. Don't know what this really implies, but my guess is he was created by shinsu itself.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So basically he's Anakin Skywalker?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

nimby posted:

Bam feeling at home in the blood of an administrator, where nobody can use shinsu. Don't know what this really implies, but my guess is he was created by shinsu itself.

There was either a chapter or a blog post in the first part of ToG that suggested Enryu could create life from shinsu. I can't imagine the amount of 'I told you so's that would come out of that if it were the case that Enryu made him.

There have been several references to Baam throughout the series referring to him as something not quite human. In the past this has been seemingly strictly analogical, referencing his potential strength as a reason his friends will be harmed by being around him; but this chapter we get Evan literally picturing him as a giant Eel and I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's something more deliberate about it. It might be that the Tower's Administrators are themselves functionally immortal and follow a rebirth cycle - making Baam the reincarnated guardian of the 43rd floor.

I think there's necessarily something special about Baam's true identity, given the mystery it's been surrounded in. The main one was always that he was the son of Zahard (given the Zahard symbol in his cave and, more recently, the GoG's comparison of Baam to Zahard), but I don't know if I'm on that train anymore now that we know of 2 of his sons. It is a mystery :shrug:.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

There was either a chapter or a blog post in the first part of ToG that suggested Enryu could create life from shinsu. I can't imagine the amount of 'I told you so's that would come out of that if it were the case that Enryu made him.

There have been several references to Baam throughout the series referring to him as something not quite human. In the past this has been seemingly strictly analogical, referencing his potential strength as a reason his friends will be harmed by being around him; but this chapter we get Evan literally picturing him as a giant Eel and I'm starting to wonder if maybe there's something more deliberate about it. It might be that the Tower's Administrators are themselves functionally immortal and follow a rebirth cycle - making Baam the reincarnated guardian of the 43rd floor.

I think there's necessarily something special about Baam's true identity, given the mystery it's been surrounded in. The main one was always that he was the son of Zahard (given the Zahard symbol in his cave and, more recently, the GoG's comparison of Baam to Zahard), but I don't know if I'm on that train anymore now that we know of 2 of his sons. It is a mystery :shrug:.

I definitely don't think he's the son of Zahard, but the idea of him being some sort of reborn administrator is interesting (though it seems like it would be weird narratively given he'd need some reason to keep going beyond this floor if he were meant to be its reincarnated administrator). It's obvious he's something different from, say, Mazino, who is just a "person from the 'world' outside the Tower."

I don't really like the idea of him being some sort of life created by another irregular. I mean, it's entirely plausible, but I would find it sort of unsatisfying for some reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

rachel being a weak irregular but who had contact with baam before he got in the tower is a pretty big mystery

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So Im backlogged all the way from 231 and restarting a read through. Anyone wanna muse on how Koon seemed to first be Highschool Hitler and has now turned into Bam's Best Brosef.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like Khun because he defies what you'd normally expect from a character like him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rip rak

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Still no body, though. With the others stringing, I'm more convinced that Rak made it out live somehow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah i don't believe he's actually dead

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i believe in rak.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Rak shrunk himself down microscopically and is hiding in that FUG guy's bloodstream, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Avulsion posted:

Rak shrunk himself down microscopically and is hiding in that FUG guy's bloodstream, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

Isn't that plot for some really old and terrible movie?