Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I don't like Monopoly, because the games run too long and suffer from a major case of snowballing (once you start losing, you keep losing). I got roped into playing the Ultimate Banking Edition because I was told that it had some mechanical changes that addressed these issues, and all the transactions go through a central election terminal.

What this does is gut most of the strategy from the game and eliminate any player interactions not specifically sanctioned by the computer. The game basically consists of moving around the board and tapping cards until the computer says "you lose". There's no skill, no one learns anything, and everyone has wasted their time. Also the computer has no idea what to do when a player is eliminated, so the game ends right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The only way to play Monopoly is by following the rules 100% gently caress the house rules with free parking and what not that just prolongs the game by keeping money in the economy.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Every time I played Monopoly we always came up with house rules to remove ambiguity and to speed the game up which is kinda the point with any board game.

Only platinum-level autists follow rules to the letter and get mad if someone has a legit disagreement with a rule.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

House rules that speed up the game are fine, the problem is terrible house rules that make it drag out even more than the official rules.

(There was at least one official monopoly version (one of the children's ones?) that had the Free Parking rule actually in it, what were they thinking?)

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The only way to play Monopoly is to realise that it was developed specifically to not be fun and then play a different game that was meant to be fun instead.

Like Carcassone, where the thing dragging it down is the stealing mechanic. The game's way more fun if you try to get other players to buy in on megaprojects, and the risk of someone taking it all and running is annoying.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monopoly is intended to be a brutally short game where a winning player spirals to victory rapidly. I have never understood why all the house-rules for the game, like not doing auctions for properties people pass on and doing the free-parking pile of cash, still get implemented because the core issue is people don't like that monopoly is basically more complicated candy-land and all the home rules do is make the boredom drag on longer.

For video-game related content, in Dead Rising 4 while you can buy upgrades to show you were most collectibles are located, there isn't one for locker keys or unvisited locations. In the formers case, the majority of keys unlock items you can make yourself and as such serve no real purpose, but in two cases the hold other valuable unlockables. Since the keys can be anywhere and are fairly small, without a guide you're just sort of combing among thousands of small items hoping you spot a set of keys. For unvisited locations, there are 163 locations in the game, and while most are marked in white on the map, some aren't and in my case I have 162 out of 163 and all white squares filled in and I can't for the life of me figure out where the last un-marked location on the map is and to be frank, I never will.

Not related to collectibles, they retained most of the great features of the combo system from DR3, but took away the rather neat bit that at safe-houses you can access any item you've ever picked up before so you could build whatever you wanted or give yourself a custom load out of some of the zanier and more esoteric items in the game.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 00:52 on Jan 3, 2017

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

SiKboy posted:

I remember checking a guide somewhere (probably gamefaqs, this was a long time ago) and it recommended that as soon as the race started you jump out of your car, switch to an accurate gun with some range and take out his tires as he drove off. Except by the time you got out he was a fair distance ahead and moving at speed so you'd have to be a much better shot that I was to manage that one.

I haven't played Vice City in well over a decade, but I remember distinctly doing this very thing and it worked.

RE: Overwatch story lines, I've said before I don't understand why it exists and I still don't. I'll be playing Widowmaker and if I shoot Pharah out of the sky, she'll sometimes say "Like mother like daughter..." and I have no idea what the gently caress she's on about. And at the beginning of a match, Roadhog will say "I'M A WOMAN APOCALYPSE" and that's weird.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

oh dope posted:

RE: Overwatch story lines, I've said before I don't understand why it exists and I still don't. I'll be playing Widowmaker and if I shoot Pharah out of the sky, she'll sometimes say "Like mother like daughter..." and I have no idea what the gently caress she's on about. And at the beginning of a match, Roadhog will say "I'M A WOMAN APOCALYPSE" and that's weird.

A lot of it is there because Overwatch is Blizzard's attempt to salvage a decade-long MMO project that went nowhere. So Blizzard had a bunch of content and writing and needed to do something with it. And a lot of it stays because people enjoy having context for their characters, even in a multiplayer shootmans game. :shrug:

Also, Roadhog says "I'm a one-man apocalypse."

Leavemywife posted:

No, no, it's better the other way.

Fair.

1stGear has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jan 3, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

1stGear posted:

Also, Roadhog says "I'm a one-man apocalypse."

No, no, it's better the other way.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

1stGear posted:

A lot of it is there because Overwatch is Blizzard's attempt to salvage a decade-long MMO project that went nowhere. So Blizzard had a bunch of content and writing and needed to do something with it. And a lot of it stays because people enjoy having context for their characters, even in a multiplayer shootmans game. :shrug:

That's actually pretty interesting about the failed MMO. I had no idea. I'd like to know more. It seems like Blizzard recovered just fine from it anyway.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Barudak posted:

For video-game related content, in Dead Rising 4 while you can buy upgrades to show you were most collectibles are located, there isn't one for locker keys or unvisited locations. In the formers case, the majority of keys unlock items you can make yourself and as such serve no real purpose, but in two cases the hold other valuable unlockables. Since the keys can be anywhere and are fairly small, without a guide you're just sort of combing among thousands of small items hoping you spot a set of keys. For unvisited locations, there are 163 locations in the game, and while most are marked in white on the map, some aren't and in my case I have 162 out of 163 and all white squares filled in and I can't for the life of me figure out where the last un-marked location on the map is and to be frank, I never will.

I hate untracked poo poo. I've played through Axiom Verge recently, and there's a trophy in which you have to hack every type of enemy in the game. I thought i did, but after beating the last boss, it turns out I did not succeed. What enemy do I have left to hack? No fuckin idea. Never will, I guess.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I just got Infinite Warfare and it seems I'm getting worse and worse at COD games with each game. The last game I was even decent at was Advanced Warfare and that's debatable. It sucks because I like playing games online but it seems like I don't have the time/unwilling to put in the time to get good at any game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Monopoly is intended to be a brutally short game where a winning player spirals to victory rapidly.

Wasn't that the intended moral lesson of the game, while we're at it?

My beef with Monopoly was that I played it as a child who was bad at math, with two parents who were math majors. So everything was a math problem that my parents made me figure out before play could continue. I still have this memory of my dad looking at me to figure out the 20%-or-200 thing and being too young to understand how to do it.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Uncharted 4:

So Nathan has a grappling hook that he uses all the time in this game. This is fine, but when he first uses it is in a flashback to when he and his brother Sam were kids, and Sam is teaching him how to properly use it. So he's known how to use a grappling hook this entire time, but just busts it out now? I can think of a million times in the past 3 games when a grappling hook would have been incredibly useful.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe he just didn't have a grappling hook in those games? Maybe he just keeps forgetting it? The first time you use it in the present in Uncharted 4 is when Sam gives it to you.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Bravely Second: Level jumps between story areas are fairly large once you get into the real meat of the game. It's like a 4-5 level jump at least between areas, which is fine for the beginning of the game when levels come quickly, but you end up having to grind a decent bit between story plot points. I understand it's more of an old school RPG where grinding is a thing, but the plot points are based around how quickly you need to be moving, so taking time out to grind out levels really takes you out of the story.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Barudak posted:

The GTA3 generation of games was terrible about this too (plus GTA4). It got to the point that I would reset the system if I accidentally killed a pigeon or whatever in case I wanted to try for the achievement.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Uncharted 4:

So Nathan has a grappling hook that he uses all the time in this game. This is fine, but when he first uses it is in a flashback to when he and his brother Sam were kids, and Sam is teaching him how to properly use it. So he's known how to use a grappling hook this entire time, but just busts it out now? I can think of a million times in the past 3 games when a grappling hook would have been incredibly useful.

Still better than Batman: Arkham Origins. In Arkham City, towards the beginning of the game you get a gadget called the grapnel accelerator, which is supposed to be a prototype thing which allows Batman to launch himself up after grappling to the top of buildings. It's clearly stated that it's a prototype and Batman is only deciding to use it in the field out of necessity. In Arkham Origins, a prequel, Batman has it from the very beginning with no explanation given as far as I can tell.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Well the reason they did that in Arkham 3 is because it would have sucked poo poo balls if they didn't include it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Arkham games are a pretty good counterpoint to people who complain about how every Metroid and Mega Man begins with you having lost all the powers from the last game, because the alternative is to do what Arkham did and just keep making the game more bloated and obtuse in the name of starting every game with the old game's toys unlocked.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Iunno, having all your stuff and getting more is pretty rad, it never felt very bloated for me at least. :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Arkham Knight doesn't even start you with all the old stuff unlocked.

Of course, instead, it decides to put two of those items out of the way but available basically whenever you want. I knew about the electro-gun in the evidence room, but I didn't know about the cryo grenade in the batcave until like 80% of the way through the game.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

The Arkham games are a pretty good counterpoint to people who complain about how every Metroid and Mega Man begins with you having lost all the powers from the last game, because the alternative is to do what Arkham did and just keep making the game more bloated and obtuse in the name of starting every game with the old game's toys unlocked.

I liked having my gadgets from the getgo in city.

you're right though about the arkham games being victims of feature bloat like asscreed because city was already cluttered with drawn out side quests and riddle bullshit.

the biggest issue with the series for me is that every game has to be crammed with villains that there's really no breathing room for all of them, especially when every batman ip has to pay lip service to the joker.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Uncharted 4:

Every. Box. Has. Wheels.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

the biggest issue with the series for me is that every game has to be crammed with villains that there's really no breathing room for all of them, especially when every batman ip has to pay lip service to the joker.

City was definitely the worst about this, IMO. And I'm still bummed that Hugo Strange ended up being largely wasted. For story stuff I always preferred Origins and now that I've played Knight I think I like it the best, even if it's still full of problems. Like having Joker talking almost non-loving-stop. I'm pretty sure he has more dialogue in the game where he's dead than the three where he was alive.

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

Watchdogs 2

Just Horatio. I don't have a problem with him as a character and I can actually relate when you head to not-google and he mentions being one of the 3 black people there but he doesn't really get a chance to develop. He only has that one mission and maybe 10ish lines of dialog.

I saw a promo pic and it didn't even had him but it had jr who I also never got to work with.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

John Murdoch posted:

City was definitely the worst about this, IMO. And I'm still bummed that Hugo Strange ended up being largely wasted. For story stuff I always preferred Origins and now that I've played Knight I think I like it the best, even if it's still full of problems. Like having Joker talking almost non-loving-stop. I'm pretty sure he has more dialogue in the game where he's dead than the three where he was alive.

strange was a really terrible fake out since the whole game built him up to be some mastermind behind the whole thing. the big mystery was gonna be how he knew about batman's secret identity.

Oh ra's al ghul told him? how intriguing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Or like what happened in God of War III. 2 introduces the Blade of Olympus, the godly weapon that ended the Titanomachy in a single blow. Kratos's godhood was sealed in the sword, so without it he can't even set foot on Olympus, much less fight the gods. The whole plot is to get it back, and whenever you do wield it it locks your weapon-switching, because why the hell would you use anything else?

Then 3 starts, and as soon as it doesn't have to follow 2's script, the Blade vanishes into hammerspace, only briefly appearing for a quick shot of magic, or a time-limited rage boost that due to altered mechanics is pretty much worse than any other offense option unless you're being swarmed by trashmobs. You don't even use it to fight Poseidon, for godssakes.

It never loses its story relevance, but in the actual combat you wind up screwing around with Hercules' boxing gloves or Hades' claws-that-are-somewhat-distinct-from-your-blades-but-not-really instead of loving poo poo up with the Sword of +12 Divine Wrath.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Jan 4, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Still better than Batman: Arkham Origins. In Arkham City, towards the beginning of the game you get a gadget called the grapnel accelerator, which is supposed to be a prototype thing which allows Batman to launch himself up after grappling to the top of buildings. It's clearly stated that it's a prototype and Batman is only deciding to use it in the field out of necessity. In Arkham Origins, a prequel, Batman has it from the very beginning with no explanation given as far as I can tell.

It's actually a little smarter than that - the noise in Origins is subtly different, much clunkier and "heavier". Wayne Corp delivered a more refined version by the time of City. :haw:

Arkham Knight justifies an even stronger version by saying his new suit can take the added g-force. I dunno, I thought it was kind of cute.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Byzantine posted:

It never loses its story relevance, but in the actual combat you wind up screwing around with Hercules' boxing gloves or Hades' claws-that-are-somewhat-distinct-from-your-blades-but-not-really instead of loving poo poo up with the Sword of +12 Divine Wrath.

It was really annoying how two of the three selectable weapons you could get in that game were Chainblades, Again. I've already got chainblades, put your drat heads together and think of something else!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
can we all agree that anarky was the dumbest loving enemy in the arkham games?

besides zsasz and electrocutioner i can't think of any other rogues in the games that are stupid as hell.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

strange was a really terrible fake out since the whole game built him up to be some mastermind behind the whole thing. the big mystery was gonna be how he knew about batman's secret identity.

Oh ra's al ghul told him? how intriguing.

No? He worked it out, he tells you that and taunts the Riddler with the fact that he just figured out who Batman was in his interview tapes with him. He only came into contact with Ras after having figured it out I think, I guess they don't really go into it in great detail since he dies about 10 seconds after the Ras teamup is revealed. They definitely did under use him in Arkham City though, I will agree with that. The opening scene is great, the trailer they had with him was fantastic for establishing him as a threat, the voice actor was awesome but then they had him do nothing for the entire game and just had Joker be the main man again, quite disappointing at the time.

After Knight though, I've come around on the Arkham game plots as they're basically an entire series of 4 games all about Batman and the Joker and their relationship which is kinda neat and they do some interesting stuff in that playspace. I just hope whatever the next Batman game is the Joker is kept in the background or not in it at all.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

can we all agree that anarky was the dumbest loving enemy in the arkham games?

besides zsasz and electrocutioner i can't think of any other rogues in the games that are stupid as hell.

Electrocutioner was my favorite villain in the series. :colbert:

John Murdoch posted:

Oh thank god, I thought it was just me. Haven't played Knight, but Origins was easily my favorite of the first three. The story in City was a combination of wasted potential and bullshit. Here's Two Face, one of the best of Batman's villains! And he's never seen again after one boss fight about ten minutes into the game! Here's a great mystery as to how the enigmatic Hugo Strange has complete power over the city! But here's the explanation, which is bullshit that would have been laughed out a 1950s comic! Now feel sad over the death of a character you've barely interacted with! Yes, we am teh gratest riters evar!!!

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jan 4, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
im still mad that you never get to fight the electrocutioner. also, i went through all of origins without ever finding shiva

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just bought Binding of Isaac Rebirth and Afterbirth after never playing the game since the very original release.

This game is so loving confusing now, I have no idea what's going on, I have no idea what the items do when I pick them up and there's so much poo poo in this game, secrets on secrets on secrets. I feel like all this game's expansions, and the remake and all that, have been just catering to people that have been playing the game nonstop since the beginning and have been following every layer that's added. I shouldn't need to keep a wiki handy for a basic two-stick shooter and yet here we are.

There's no tutorial in the game, which is fine, except that means that there are four different kinds of heart pickups and I had no idea what they did for a good while.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
The great part though is that said people who have played the game forever absolutely hate every addition to the game because it's detracted from the good part of the game (roguelike bullet hell zelda type game) and bolted on more poo poo that is the worst (rng loving you, room layouts where you cant avoid damage, bosses with one hundred million hp that scale their defense up so you never have an easy time with them)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh and my favorite part, there's no way to drop an item once you pick it up (the "Drop" command doesn't work for regular items, because reasons), so if you pick up an item with a downside, you're loving stuck with it forever! But what is this?

Who knows! There's no way to identify an item in-game without picking it up (and even then, the description probably won't help). Unless you can remember the pickup icon for seven thousand different items.

eta: lol I spent $25 on this dumb fuckin' game, I'm an idiot

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The lack of documentation is pretty frustrating because all it means is that you're constantly alt-tabbing out of the game and you have no idea how your progress towards anything is going. The newest expansion even went to the time and effort to add a bestiary that lists the types of enemies you've encountered, which is fairly superfluous information, just to further drive home how little info they give you about everything else.

Also as much as I love the game the poop and dead babies shtick is super annoying, partially because Edmund McMillan is literally incapable of doing anything else so it comes off as lazy and self-indulgent after a decade of nothing but the same, and also because it alienates a ton of people by being too inappropriate for kids while also too childish for a lot of adults to be willing to give it a shot.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

The lack of documentation is pretty frustrating because all it means is that you're constantly alt-tabbing out of the game and you have no idea how your progress towards anything is going. The newest expansion even went to the time and effort to add a bestiary that lists the types of enemies you've encountered, which is fairly superfluous information, just to further drive home how little info they give you about everything else.

Also as much as I love the game the poop and dead babies shtick is super annoying, partially because Edmund McMillan is literally incapable of doing anything else so it comes off as lazy and self-indulgent after a decade of nothing but the same, and also because it alienates a ton of people by being too inappropriate for kids while also too childish for a lot of adults to be willing to give it a shot.

The original BoI was my first experience with McMillan's work outside of briefly playing the original super meat boy for like 10 minutes and the dead babies and poop aesthetic wore thin within a few games of it.

There's so, so many things dragging that game down that just make it unfun to play. Even regular bosses can be a long, boring slog if the RNG doesn't want to give you damage. The new ones are downright torturous with how loving long you have to fight them for. The ones that scale up their defenses are just loving stupid and I have no idea why they were even remotely considered as something to add to the game beyond whatever team member decided on it having vanished up their own rear end in a top hat. Afterbirth was a miserable expansion and I regret ever buying it, and Afterbirth+ just doesn't interest me in the slightest because of how bad I thought Afterbirth was. There's a fanmade mod called Antibirth now that's based on Rebirth only and features none of Afterbirth's content, and from what I've seen it looks much, much better. The bosses are WAY more interesting than the godawful bullet sponges that are in the official content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only good roguelite is Nuclear Throne, basically.