Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boys will beat other boys to death.

FTFY

Also wow are there a lot of ruptured spleens and peritonitis on this list, which I didn't expect, and a lot of alcohol poisoning, which I did.

even old dudes do this poo poo too apparently though posted:

A drilling rig employee received 18-year prison sentence in the hazing death of 23-year-old Shawn Davis, a new employee of Republic Energy Drilling Company. Veteran employees were attempting to initiate Davis by hoisting him upwards via a cable used to pick up pipe and place it on the rig floor. Davis resisted, but the employees succeeded in putting the belt on Davis and hooking him to the cat line. Another employee noted that the kelly, the device located on the rig floor that is used to drill into the ground and spins at seventy rotations per minute, was turning and, based on his experience, he knew that any slack in the cat line could get caught on the kelly as it turned. Unbeknownst to other employees, this is what happened shortly before he was hooked to the cat line. They hastily attempted to unhook the cat line as it pulled Davis out of the door of the top doghouse. Davis was dragged, face first, out of the building. Davis hit the bottom half of the doghouse door, taking it off the hinges. He was then dragged to the kelly bushing where he was spun around approximately ten to twenty times as his body hit several different pieces of equipment and surfaces. They immediately shut down the equipment and called 911, but he died of blunt force trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

"no officer you see we were just strapping him into industrial equipment against his will, we didn't mean for anything bad to happen"

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Yeah my first thought on reading that one was that it could probably be cross-posted to the OSHA thread.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Let's talk about The Richardson Family Murders!

This happened a little more than 10 years ago, in my home town of Medicine Hat, Alberta. I can almost see the Richardson house from my mom's place, it's about 3 blocks away from where I grew up. I'm the same age as Jeremy Steinke, and although we didn't run in the same circles I knew him from a couple parties - the town is only about 50,000 people so it was pretty hard to not know somebody that knows somebody.

In 2006, Steinke is 23, and 'dating' a 12 year old. Her parents don't much care for that for incredibly obvious reasons, so they forbid her to see him. She pulls an American Beauty and asks her boyfriend to kill her family. He agrees.

Wikipedia posted:

The murders:
At 1:00 p.m. on April 23, 2006, the bodies of husband Marc Richardson, 42, and wife Debra, 48, were found in the basement of their home, and the body of their son Jacob, 8, was discovered upstairs. Absent from the home at that time was the couple's 12-year-old daughter. For a time it was feared that she might have also been a victim, but she was arrested the following day in the community of Leader, Saskatchewan, about 130 kilometres (81 mi) away, with her 23-year-old boyfriend Jeremy Allan Steinke. Both were charged with the three murders.

The more interesting part of this case comes after the arrest, when it turns out Steinke is actually a 300 year old werewolf! Or at least that's what he believes.

Wikipedia posted:

According to friends of Steinke, he told them he was a 300-year-old werewolf. He allegedly told his friends that he liked the taste of blood, and wore a small vial of blood around his neck. He also had a user account at the VampireFreaks.com website.

So Steinke, high as a kite, breaks into the Richardson house and murders the parents. But the really brutal part is that the daughter, Jasmine, murdered her own little brother.

https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/Murderous-Children-Jasmine-Richardson posted:

On that fateful night, Steinke first attacked Jasmine's mother and father downstairs, stabbing them to death. He then went upstairs, where Jasmine proceeded to stab her little brother Jacob in the chest while he plead for his life. Jeremy then finished him off by slitting his throat. Jasmine testified in court that he was gurgling. She stated that the reason for their decision to kill her brother was that she thought it was cruel to leave him to live without his parents. Two hours after the death of her parents and brother, Jasmine and Jeremy were laughing and kissing at a nearby restaurant.

There's a pretty decent Vice article about the murders here, from earlier this year:
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/the-alberta-girl-who-had-her-family-murdered-a-decade-ago-is-about-to-be-free

Jasmine Richardson is now free, and if she avoids trouble for 5 years her record will be expunged. She's apparently done quite well in therapy and is now, at 22, attending college in Calgary. Jeremy is serving time, 3 concurrent life sentences, with no chance of parole for 25 years.

Jasmine remains Canada's youngest convicted murderer.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boys will be boys.
I have a 9-year-old son with a serious rage problem. In a different time, in a different family, without the meds he's on .... it's not hard for me to imagine a 9-year-old killing a smaller child. Not saying he did it, but it's certainly possible. My kid has thrown chairs, broken furniture, broken his door frame, screamed "I loving hate you" over and over for hours, left bruises all over me, bitten his brother, torn his clothing, etc.

(He has been 95% better for the last 9 months. Thank God for IEPs and Risperdal.)

ETA:

Antioch posted:

There's a pretty decent Vice article about the murders here, from earlier this year:
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/the-alberta-girl-who-had-her-family-murdered-a-decade-ago-is-about-to-be-free
Seconding this rec, it's a really good read. IMO, the best reporting you'll ever see on these sorts of shocking stories are first-person narratives written by journalists who were there reporting when it happened. You get the solid background of facts combined with personal feelings and experiences, and they get to let out all the opinions they couldn't express in their dry daily news reports.

Another excellent example of the genre: https://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Ridge-Tragedy-Weaver-Family/dp/006000794X

Jess Walter covered the Ruby Ridge standoff for the Spokesman-Review and later wrote the definitive book on it. Less creepy than a lot of stories here, but definitely unnerving how badly the government hosed up. Since you can't read the book online, have an interview with the author from this year: http://www.npr.org/2016/01/31/465000760/the-federal-response-to-oregon-occupation-may-have-roots-in-ruby-ridge

quote:

"The FBI is getting information on this case from the marshals. They aren't told Weaver's son has been killed. They aren't told there's some question about who fired first. They're only told that some marshals were in the woods surveying Randy Weaver, possibly to arrest him, when he and his family attacked them and killed a U.S. marshal," Walter says.

The FBI flew in a hostage rescue team, but the agency had suspended the normal rules of engagement, Walter says. As he recounts, the FBI told their agents they were going into an active firefight, authorizing them to open fire without warning if they saw an armed adult.

Meanwhile, the Weavers and Harris had put Sam Weaver's body in an outbuilding.

"They go to check on the body. And as Randy Weaver reaches up to open the shed door, a shot rings out from the woods, and he's shot in the shoulder," Walter says. "And the family run back to the cabin. His wife, Vicki, holding their baby, throws the door open, screams 'Get back in the cabin.' And the FBI agent fires again. And this shot hits Vicki Weaver in the face and kills her."

Randy Weaver, daughters Sara and Rachel, baby Elisheba and Harris holed up in the cabin for the next 10 days, scared that if they left the cabin, they would be shot.

"I was so drowning in grief," Sara Weaver remembers. "I pretty much felt that I didn't have a chance of coming out alive."

pookel has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Dec 30, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I have a little sister with a rage problem. She put our mom in the hospital when my sister was ten. If the only thing under consideration is "would it be possible for a 9 year old to kill a smaller child" the answer would obviously be "yes"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

pookel posted:

Another excellent example of the genre: https://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Ridge-Tragedy-Weaver-Family/dp/006000794X

Jess Walter covered the Ruby Ridge standoff for the Spokesman-Review and later wrote the definitive book on it. Less creepy than a lot of stories here, but definitely unnerving how badly the government hosed up. Since you can't read the book online, have an interview with the author from this year: http://www.npr.org/2016/01/31/465000760/the-federal-response-to-oregon-occupation-may-have-roots-in-ruby-ridge

Quote from the NPR article:

quote:

Arthur Roderick retired from the U.S. Marshals Service in 2008. He says he thinks of the experience often, but not the Weaver family.

"I try not to think about them at all," Roderick says. "I mean, all they had to do was show up at court. Very simply, that's all they had to do. I think again more about Bill Degan and his family, his two boys, his widow. You know, his mom and dad. That's who I think about."

gently caress that guy. All the FBI had to do was not try to entrap Weaver, or give him the accurate court date, or not escalate things and shoot kids. What an rear end in a top hat.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

TotalLossBrain posted:

gently caress that guy. All the FBI had to do was not try to entrap Weaver, or give him the accurate court date, or not escalate things and shoot kids. What an rear end in a top hat.
It was the ATF, and calling that entrapment is a bit of a reach. Dude sold sawed-off shotguns to a guy he met at the Aryan Nations compound. And it's not like he just wandered in there because he ran out of gas just down the road--he had been around there quite a few times. Because he was a loving Nazi.

That whole thing didn't take place over a weekend. Weaver had about a year and a half to suck it up, turn himself in and eat a couple of years on a relatively-minor weapons charge. Mistakes were made, yeah, some people were too loving gung ho, but in the end Randy Weaver could have put a stop to it at any time. But he didn't.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Happy New Year!

SA Forums
December 15, 2016 10:16PM
SA user Pick wishes that someone find a foot under a bridge “or something” in order to stop several derails.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
December 16, 2016, 11:30PM
I’m asleep in my bed, after a long day of work, and even though it’s Friday by the calendar, It’s my Monday and I’m catching up on much needed sleep before my next workday starts. I’m currently working a Morning shift, and only a few months ago I was working graves and swing shifts, granting me a lot of time to research and write unnerving stories based on gruesome fact right here. At some point around a year ago I suddenly found that all the Wal-Marts in the city were no longer 24 hour stores as I had known them for basically my entire life. Due to personal bleeding-heart politics I had no idea and only discovered this one night in need of a replacement mug or bowl or something. Imagine my surprise showing up at 1AM and seeing a flurry of employee activity, only to be told that sorry, we close at midnight now.

Point is, Albuquerque has always been a city with a high crime rate, having just recently been announced by some metric as the 5th most dangerous in the country. Wal-Marts, and indeed several businesses from grocery stores to McDonald’s in certain areas of town employee added security. Wal-Marts especially have a high level of security, cameras, and regular patrols. In my line of work I have been in several security rooms at these businesses, and believe me, there’s little to nothing not being watched.

December 17, 2016 approximately 12:20AM
I’m awake. My wife is awake. The sounds of distant but not distant enough police sirens are cutting through the still night air. This is not unusual and does not generally wake us. What is unusual is that more and more sirens join in, and the droning of the noise doesn’t go far. For minutes on end, sirens can be heard passing our neighborhood on all sides.
“What the hell is going on?” My wife asks.
“I don’t know. Ugh.” I reply, groggily. “Christ, it’s only 12:30.”
We look out our windows into our neighborhood, but the police are not around where we can see. I let the dogs out for a few minutes. We lay back down and each attempt to go to sleep to the drone of the sirens.

December 19, 2016 3:13PM
My neighborhood is old enough that it has no HOA, in spite of the fact that several people in the neighborhood wishes it would. There is a loose neighborhood association and there is a facebook group for it that I use primarily to get into arguments with grumpy old people literally complaining about those drat kids and people parking vehicles anywhere but their driveway. It’s a small enough group that I get a notification anytime someone posts. One guy in the neighborhood posted this:

To no immediate response. Within half an hour, everyone knew when the news story broke. The news helicopters were taking footage of a Wal Mart at the intersection of Menaul and Wyoming NE because the Albuquerque Police Department revealed that there had been a gruesome discovery minutes after midnight on December 17th.

Rewind

October 2016
Clifford Miller, 42, left McAlester, Oklahoma to pursue a job in Albuquerque New Mexico. Several articles have said that no one knew that kind of work, but Miller had been offered a day work gig in the state. Miller, a former roofer, was looking for work and was likely happy to have an offer at all. Miller was no angel and had a lengthy court record, the majority of which were traffic violations. What I can tell you based off of his court appearances is that Miller loved to speed and he hated to wear a seatbelt. The most interesting of his traffic misdemeanors being one case from 12/26/06 “Operating a vehicle in manner not responsible and proper” (with no further details) and a speeding charge from 3/31/15 described as “Speeding 118 in 65.” The most serious of Miller’s court records were a felony in 1994 for possession of a controlled drug and two felony charges in 1995 for possession of a controlled drug and cultivation of marijuana. Miller, from his records, was not a violent man it would appear. His criminal background was small and mostly relegated to traffic violations. When Miller struck out for Albuquerque, he left behind a father, an ex-wife and two daughters. Miller had a son who had died in a traffic collision in 2012 or 2013, but his death was not noted as suspicious and the one traffic misdemeanor Miller had in that time frame indicates no fatalities on the report.

(In researching Miller, I found several articles, mostly not from NM or OK that also list domestic violence and related charges, but spending a lot of time on the Oklahoma State Court Network site, that Clifford Miller appears to be an entirely different person. I counted three Clifford Millers born on or after 1974 in the OK system, and our Miller has a middle initial of J. It should be noted that Clifford E Miller has domestic charges (and also a ton of traffic violations). Also of Note is Clifford M Miller who in addition to another grip of traffic violations also has charges of animal larceny. But That’s not why we’re here.)

Miller arrived in Albuquerque and briefly had the work he came here for. For a time Miller’s plan was working out. Sometime in November, the work he came out for stopped. It’s not clear if the work itself dwindled as is the nature of day labor or if he lost his job, but Miller had no job, very little money and as a result no place to stay, and he was alone, nearly 700 miles from home.

Miller

December 2016
Miller, homeless, could not catch any breaks. According to those he got to know in November and December, the city itself seemed against Miller. He suffered multiple robberies while homeless, his phone and the last of his money had been stolen from him. Miller, all his possessions strapped to his back, was in and out of homeless shelters during his stay in Albuquerque, and from everything I’ve seen, space in the shelters is at a premium. Miller wanted to return home, but could not afford a bus ticket to do so. Miller’s struggle continued on the streets of Albuquerque. When Miller couldn’t sleep at a shelter, he slept at a bus terminal or took shelter on the streets themselves.

In spite of his troubles, Miller met a kind heart shortly after he lost his job. Carlos Atencio sound Miller outside a starbucks in the city, and stopped to listen to the man’s story. Atencio could not walk away from a man in such need and bought him a sandwich and coffee, allowed Miller to store his belongings in safety at his home, and would meet with Miller regularly to have coffee, or perhaps more mercifully, the occasional beer. Atencio, of whom we know little, was not a sucker and drew the line at meeting with Miller and allowing the storage of his things. He wouldn’t allow Miller to sleep at his home the week before the 17th, and Atencio now regrets his choice.

Back to the Beginning
December 17 2016, midnight
At a Wal-Mart that measures just .49 miles walking distance from my house, the store was closing to the public for the night. The security, no doubt working as hard as everyone so close to the holidays, starts a patrol of the parking lot and grounds, something that happens multiple times every couple of hours. The back of the Wal-Mart faces north and directly behind it area 24 hour Village Inn and a skeezy pool hall, upon until 2AM on Fridays and Saturdays. This is not an out of the way location, and this was by no means a low-traffic area. The security guard rounds the corner to the back and receiving area of Wal-Mart and finds the body of Clifford Miller. The security guard immediately calls APD.

It was on December 19th that APD first announced that a body had been found, as the case was very much so open and being actively investigated. The first rumblings of news only indicated that a deceased male had been found behind the Wal-Mart at Menaul and Wyoming, and that OMI was working on cause of death, identity was being looked into via fingerprints, as they would not be using dental records for identification, an indication of the gruesome details to follow.

Behind the store, just between the next businesses, there is a sort of median-like hill-esque landscaped slope. That’s not a great description, so here’s a photo.

Taken by me 1/1/17

It’s my understanding that the body of Miller was found on this slope. Not behind one of the containers, not hidden in a corner, but almost on display, the way the angle of the hill is.

Clifford Miller was found naked, his headless corpse on the ground, his genitals had been removed.

APD was quick to say that there is presently no danger to the public, but they have no suspects and no leads so far. What they can tell us is that Miller’s body had been placed there, but he certainly wasn’t killed there. No cause of death has been announced as of this writing, as they have yet to announce if the decapitation and mutilation was done antemortem or postmortem. Miller’s head and genitals were not at the scene and have not been found. I drove through the back of the Wal-Mart and the approximate area where the body was found seems to indicate that a person or persons either walked around a wall and down a walking path far to either side of the find location, carrying a headless mutilated corpse, or drove to the back, dumped out the body, and took off at tremendous risk. Nearly every light pole at the store, including in the back, has a sign reading “Cameras in use.” I saw multiple cameras on the building, several multi-angle cameras and several fixed direction that seemed to cover most of the area behind the store. The location was not out of view of anyone driving near the Village Inn or even walking near it. The building directly behind Wal-Mart is a multi-story professional suite building that houses banking companies, no doubt with it’s own fair share of security cameras and a clear view from many offices had anyone been working late. Directly to the east are multi-story apartments, several floors with a view of the the Wal-Mart loading zone. There is a walking path down the eastern slope of the store for residents to walk to the store. The walking path would have a clear view of where the body was left. All of this logically indicates that the perpetrator(s) wanted this body found immediately.

This is a message.

I spoke with a coworker, his work van needing to be dropped off at the maintenance yard, I drove him back to our station.
“That’s some cartel poo poo, [Droogie]. That’s some serious cartel poo poo. That’s their calling card, man, scary poo poo.” He said, leaning against the passenger door as we travelled down the freeway. “And look at all this trash man. gently caress.”
“I don’t know man,” I said. “I mean, that’s news here. If this were no big deal, if this were everyday poo poo, then I’d be worried.”

The word on the lips of a lot of people is cartel, which is a surprise that people are taking a break from their perception of Satanism around here. The thing is, I don’t doubt that they’re around. We’re so close to the border, and drugs are so prevalent around the state. We’re not exactly Breaking Bad here, but there is a reason for it being the second choice location. This theory is even being floated in the majority of articles, with no backing evidence or local examples of other occurrences.

The problem with this being thrown out into the public eye with such flippancy is that
When we’re talking about Clifford Miller, a man who has had three drug-related charges more than 20 years ago, and has no violent offenses, even with a law enforcement officer from Oklahoma telling media outlets that he did, and had things like resisting arrest on his record, in spite of the fact that I could not find these records. We’re saying that either an out of luck man somehow started working for capital “T” The Cartel and pissed them off enough to warrant this fate, or he was hand-picked by a recruiter for The Cartel and he didn’t work out. It doesn’t work out as neatly as people would like it to.

Albuquerque is not a kind place for the homeless. There are a lot, and there are cruel people. Only a few years ago two homeless native american men were brutally bludgeoned to death in the streets. The people responsible were found and prosecuted. The people that killed the homeless men are behind bars.

The main questions left behind, granted that it’s still early in the investigation, are why was this man the target of such a personal and brutal attack? Where was this man when he died? The last area of town he’d been hanging around was at least 8 miles from where his body was found. Where is this man’s head? Was it proof for someone, a trophy, or is it yet to be found where it was dumped? To that end, where is this man’s junk?

Why is APD saying that there is no threat to the public?

The most concrete thing we know is that before Wal-Mart closed for the day of December 16th, some entity quickly and quietly avoided the public, security guard patrols, and didn’t care about the numerous security cameras. They cared about showing what they had accomplished to the world as soon as possible.

They chose a spot a very short walk from my home.

They are still around, watching.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Droogie posted:

Happy New Year!

SA Forums
December 15, 2016 10:16PM
SA user Pick wishes that someone find a foot under a bridge “or something” in order to stop several derails.

goddamnit pick

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

That's sad as hell. I suppose it's a small mercy it wasn't something worse. The cartel is not a kind organization to say the least.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'd move, probably

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Apropos of scandalous accusations to the family of the deceased, here's one I always found unnerving:

In 1981, three-year-old Kelly Keen was playing in her front yard in suburban Glendale, California... and promptly got snatched up and dragged away by a coyote, dying four hours later in the hospital from a broken neck and blood loss. It was a pretty unique situation, the first known fatal coyote attack on a human in recorded history (I can cover the second, and even weirder, one later).

That's not the most unnerving part, the part where it gets creepy is 23 years later, some woman decides to show up at a Glendale city council meeting to protest a plan to cull coyotes, and just drops the accusation that the coyotes are innocent, and Kelly must've been killed by abuse from her father. Oh, and for more thread-related weirdness, the accuser had been an actress in the 1978 film The Toolbox Murders. In any case, the parents just happen to be watching the meeting live on TV and promptly drove down there to confront her, bringing the death certificate that clearly said "killed by coyote". I imagine the ensuing conversation was pretty heated. It's like something out of a really, really dark comedy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Keen_coyote_attack

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whoa thanks Droogie, that's intense

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The thing about Coyote populations is that they're really hard to actually cull. Coyotes will actually breed more often and have larger litters when their numbers are in decline so most culls actually have a net positive effect on the population.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just introduce roadrunners into the area, falling rocks/malfunctioning explosives/out of control rocket skates will do the rest.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just introduce roadrunners into the area, falling rocks/malfunctioning explosives/out of control rocket skates will do the rest.

Just make sure an Acme supplier is around.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know the second attack actually, it was Taylor Mitchell, which I've always thought was much stranger.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

(I can cover the second, and even weirder, one later).

Please do!

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Droogie posted:

I learned two days ago that I know someone that worked at the Santa Fe Prison during the riots. We started talking, and he told me a detail that I hadn't heard about regarding the aftermath that absolutely shocked me, and he said he had more details that aren't public knowledge. He asked to read what I wrote and said he wanted to talk more about it after the weekend.

Since you're back, can you give us an update on this?

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Droogie posted:

Happy New Year!

The hosed up thing about this thread is that every time someone makes a "good" post (it was a good post) it ruins my day.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Fantastic writeup, Droogie. Poor guy, he had a hard life and then it ended gruesomely. Sad story.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Il Federale posted:

Since you're back, can you give us an update on this?

Yeah. Let me look into some of my sources to double check something, but I only ever really got the one detail out of him. Our shifts became pillar opposites not long after this.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pick posted:

I know the second attack actually, it was Taylor Mitchell, which I've always thought was much stranger.

quote:

Please do!

The Taylor Mitchell attack is stranger as an attack, though the Keen attack is creepy in a different way for the accusations. Keen was the first person ever killed by a coyote that's on public record, and Mitchell is still the only adult ever killed by coyotes.

Taylor Mitchell was 19 in 2009, and a rising star in the Canadian folk-music scene. She went for a solo hike in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, which afaict is normally a pretty safe place.

A couple passed her on the trail, and shortly after ran across and photographed a pretty ballsy pair of coyotes that were acting dominant, to the point they basically shouldered the couple off the trail. A little later, the couple heard screaming from further down the trail, so called the police from a phone box in the car park. Another group of hikers showed up, and having heard from the couple about the screams headed up the trail to investigate, finding dropped personal possessions, blood marks, and eventually Taylor Mitchell, severely wounded but still conscious, with a coyote standing over her. The coyote was so aggressive that it took multiple charges by a group of adults to scare it away from her, and it still stuck around the area, growling at them, until a Mounties officer showed up and winged it with a shotgun.

At this point you could have a lot of theories as to what really happened, but apparently serious experts went through every permutation and couldn't find any alternative: she was just plain attacked and killed by coyotes. They weren't rabid, immature, starving, protecting a carcass, or wolf-hybrids, they were just coyotes who happened to be assholes and saw an opportunity. I haven't seen specific confirmation of this, but she looks pretty petite in the photos, so that might've been a factor in their targeting her (though a human adult of any size is still easily double-triple the weight of a coyote). They're unclear as to whether she was confronted by two, turned and ran and was attacked from behind, or was confronted by one while the other ambushed from the rear, but in whatever case it does turn out that two coyotes can take down an adult human under the right circumstances.

afa

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jan 3, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

The Taylor Mitchell attack is stranger as an attack, though the Keen attack is creepy in a different way for the accusations. Keen was the first person ever killed by a coyote that's on public record, and Mitchell is still the only adult ever killed by coyotes.

Taylor Mitchell was 19 in 2009, and a rising star in the Canadian folk-music scene. She went for a solo hike in the Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia, which afaict is normally a pretty safe place.

A couple passed her on the trail, and shortly after ran across and photographed a pretty ballsy pair of coyotes that were acting dominant, to the point they basically shouldered the couple off the trail. A little later, the couple heard screaming from further down the trail, so called the police from a phone box in the car park. Another group of hikers showed up, and having heard from the couple about the screams headed up the trail to investigate, finding dropped personal possessions, blood marks, and eventually Taylor Mitchell, severely wounded but still conscious, with a coyote standing over her. The coyote was so aggressive that it took multiple charges by a group of adults to scare it away from her, and it still stuck around the area, growling at them, until a Mounties officer showed up and winged it with a shotgun.

At this point you could have a lot of theories as to what really happened, but apparently serious experts went through every permutation and couldn't find any alternative: she was just plain attacked and killed by coyotes. They weren't rabid, immature, starving, protecting a carcass, or wolf-hybrids, they were just coyotes who happened to be assholes and saw an opportunity. I haven't seen specific confirmation of this, but she looks pretty petite in the photos, so that might've been a factor in their targeting her (though a human adult of any size is still easily double-triple the weight of a coyote). They're unclear as to whether she was confronted by two, turned and ran and was attacked from behind, or was confronted by one while the other ambushed from the rear, but in whatever case it does turn out that two coyotes can take down an adult human under the right circumstances.

afa

There is a photo of a coyote approaching a child on the wikipedia page which is pretty unnerving since A. it looks like its looking at prey and B. Coyotes attack from the front.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have to wonder if the coyotes in the park had gotten used to being around people from scavenging. Pets in my neighborhood have been killed, people have been approached by aggressive coyotes, and at least one person was attacked. According to our mailman, there's an elderly couple in the area who think they're just cute wild dogs and are feeding them, so they're not afraid of people.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

I have to wonder if the coyotes in the park had gotten used to being around people from scavenging. Pets in my neighborhood have been killed, people have been approached by aggressive coyotes, and at least one person was attacked. According to our mailman, there's an elderly couple in the area who think they're just cute wild dogs and are feeding them, so they're not afraid of people.

That's so infuriating when people think dangerous animals are cute and train them to not fear people.

Unless its Betty White in Lake Placid. Then it's hilarious.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

GWBBQ posted:

Reading up on coyotes a little bit the other week, it's pretty unnerving:

a) how often those little fuckers bite people
b) how *close* to people they get, often without people realizing it.

If you're in the right kind of terrain, you might be only feet away from a nasty little carnivore with no compunctions about taking a nibble on you to see what happens.

The Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_attacks_on_humans is mostly about coyotes either trying to drag children away, or sneaky poo poo like this:

quote:

On May 22, 2010, a 24-year-old man sleeping on his friend's patio in Port Aransas, Texas was awakened by a coyote biting him four times in quick succession on the arm and hand. When he stood, it retreated to the street, but stayed in the area, watching. The man took a series of rabies shots as a precaution

Coyotes are dicks.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011
So apparently back in the day residents of Vernon, Florida started blowing off their own limbs to claim the insurance on them.

http://m.mentalfloss.com/article.php?id=67097

Errol Morris tried to make a documentary called "Nub City" on it but was promptly beaten by one of the amputees sons and had threats made on his life.

From the link:

"To sit in your car on a sweltering summer evening on the main street of Nub City," he wrote in a report, "watching anywhere from eight to a dozen cripples walking along the street, gives the place a ghoulish, eerie atmosphere."

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
People get really complacent around wild animals in most of the US because their only experience is with opossums and raccoons which can for the most part be handled with a broom and don't consider humans a potential meal. Not saying a raccoon won't get really pushy and aggressive if it wants to, but not in the same way that a coyote will. The same applies to foxes, but they're typically way more shy.

I used to work at a wildlife rehab center, and during morning observation walks the trail was inundated with coyote feces every day despite never actually seeing them after 7am. They broke into an outdoor flight cage for un-releasable gulls and slaughtered them all.

What I'm saying is coyotes are like very large rear end in a top hat cats that will mug you and take your lunch money.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
A longer piece on Nub City: http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/Life/Dismembered_again.shtml

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Coyotes are everywhere here. My niece even has a half-coyote, half- corgi. She had the coyote dad, Bane, until he ran away after an encounter with a neighbor's pit bull.

They're often the size of a German Shepherd, so yes they could kill a person if they were really inspired. They're not shih-tzus.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Coyotes top out around 50 pounds and less than 2 feet tall at the shoulder, that's not even vaguely close to German Shepherd size.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Animals are selfish retards that go around doing crimes, no idea why people like them.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

pienipple posted:

Coyotes top out around 50 pounds and less than 2 feet tall at the shoulder, that's not even vaguely close to German Shepherd size.
OTOH, it's still nearly twice as big as my grandpa's wire-haired fox terrier who probably would have loved to murder a few people if he'd had half a chance, and actually did bowl people over.

On that topic: fatal dog attacks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_dog_attacks_in_the_United_States

It's an exhaustive list and much of it is boring, but if you scan the list by breed, you can see a few weird ones:

5-year-old killed by golden retriever, 1974: "The girl was bitten by her neighbor's dog, with which she had played with before. The attack was reported to have been unprovoked."
Baby killed by dachshund, 1979: "The boy died after the 6-year-old dog chewed off his legs while the mother slept in a nearby room. The dog was described as well-behaved by neighbors and friends."
Baby killed by Pomeranian, 2000: "An uncle was babysitting the child and left her alone to prepare a bottle for her. When he returned, he found the dog attacking her."
91-year-old lady killed by her keeshond, 2014: "The women was attempting to intervene in a fight between her dog and cat when the dog attacked her."

Also mentioned in the text on earlier studies, but I couldn't find in the list, were fatal attacks by a Westie, by a Yorkie, and by a cocker spaniel. I have no idea how this is possible. Newborns, maybe?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

moonsour posted:

People get really complacent around wild animals in most of the US because their only experience is with opossums and raccoons which can for the most part be handled with a broom and don't consider humans a potential meal. Not saying a raccoon won't get really pushy and aggressive if it wants to, but not in the same way that a coyote will. The same applies to foxes, but they're typically way more shy.

I used to work at a wildlife rehab center, and during morning observation walks the trail was inundated with coyote feces every day despite never actually seeing them after 7am. They broke into an outdoor flight cage for un-releasable gulls and slaughtered them all.

What I'm saying is coyotes are like very large rear end in a top hat cats that will mug you and take your lunch money.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/scottsdale/2016/05/07/fountain-hills-woman-recovering-javelina-attack/84060746/

quote:

A Fountain Hills woman is recovering after she was attacked by a herd of javelinas while walking her dogs last weekend, and wildlife officials say neighbors who were illegally feeding the animals are partly to blame.

The woman had her two dogs on leashes the night of April 30 when the herd emerged from a nearby wash, crossed the road and charged them, according to an Arizona Game and Fish Department statement.

She fell to the ground and was mauled by two javelinas that tore at her neck and upper body with their teeth. A neighbor and the woman's husband arrived at about the same time to free her from the animals while the other four javelinas continued to chase her dogs, said Amy Burnett, a Game and Fish spokeswoman.

And javalinas aren't even cute, why the gently caress would you feed them? Oh, because you're an idiot.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Phanatic posted:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/scottsdale/2016/05/07/fountain-hills-woman-recovering-javelina-attack/84060746/

And javalinas aren't even cute, why the gently caress would you feed them? Oh, because you're an idiot.

Do not gently caress with wild pigs. Hell, don't even gently caress with domestic pigs. Pigs will not hesitate to ruin your poo poo.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned

Mak0rz posted:

Do not gently caress with wild pigs. Hell, don't even gently caress with domestic pigs. Pigs will not hesitate to ruin your poo poo.

Pigs will eat you and your bones. They'll eliminate any witnesses too.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mak0rz posted:

Javelinas aren't pigs. They just look like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Atticus_1354 posted:

Javelinas aren't pigs. They just look like them.

They are related but I was mistaken about how closely. Good to know.

Still don't gently caress with pigs or pig-like animals though.