Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

What if we could slap a sea ice band-aid on the Arctic?

quote:

One worrying change driven by the climate is the loss of Arctic sea ice. The late-summer Arctic Ocean is on track to become ice-free around the 2030s. The rapid warming of the Arctic has serious implications for local ecosystems, but it also influences climate elsewhere in ways we’re still working to fully understand. One frequently mentioned effect is the increased absorption of sunlight in the Arctic as reflective snow and ice disappears—a positive feedback that amplifies warming.

What if we could slap a sea ice band-aid on the Arctic? In a recent paper, a group of Arizona State researchers led by astrophysicist Steven Desch sketch out one hypothetical band-aid—a geoengineering scheme to freeze more ice during the Arctic winter.

The idea is simple enough: wind turbines on the sea ice could pump water from below onto the surface, where it quickly freezes, thickening the ice in winter. In the right places, that could mean the difference between sea ice disappearing or surviving through the end of summer. But like any back-of-a-napkin solution to the world’s problems, reality is substantially more challenging than it might initially appear

Geoengineering doesn’t come cheap, and this is no exception. As the researchers put it, “[I]t is reasonable to ask whether such an endeavor is financially feasible or even logistically possible.” Covering “just” 10 percent of the Arctic would require a staggering 10 million wind turbine pumps like those currently used on farmland. Mounting 12-meter-tall turbines on steel buoys brings you to about 10 tons of steel each.

Throw in the cost of shipping these things off to their Arctic homes, and setting up the turbines over 10 years would cost about $50 billion per year. That’s certainly no pittance, but it’s also far less than the US paid for the Iraq War, for example. Of course there are also maintenance costs—it’s unclear how easy it would be to ensure the turbines don’t simply become encased in the ice they’re trying to make. The authors don't calculate this expense.

There's been a lot of whining about arctic sea ice extent in this thread, but why didn't anyone think to suggest erecting 10 million floating wind turbines to pump sea water on top of existing ice to freeze? So simple.

Expect to see more crazy geoengineering schemes discussed in popular media as the consequences of climate change become apparent but political solutions remain out of reach. On the other hand, it's always worth pointing out that even the most insane half-baked geoengineering schemes would be cheaper than the Iraq war. Conservatives had no problem burning a couple of trillion dollars on the flimsiest of pretexts, but apparently there's still not enough evidence to take action on climate change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Their costs estimates are probably off by a pretty significant amount too. The paper notes that they aren't considering any of the engineering challenges associated with building a fleet of wind turbines that can actually survive in the Arctic, so there's going to be a substantial R&D cost and individual costs might end up being significantly larger as well.

Also, lol:

quote:

We estimate that deployment of devices over the entire Arctic in one year would consume essentially all of US steel production, but only 6% of world production. Deployment over 10% of the Arctic would use 13% of current US production, and < 1% of world steel production.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Alternative solution: Pull carbon directly out of the atmosphere and turn it into diamonds.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Alternative solution: Pull carbon directly out of the atmosphere and turn it into diamonds.

Saving the planet and destroying De Beers? I love it!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Star Man posted:

Saving the planet and destroying De Beers? I love it!

They'd never stand for that. Already they have this huge propaganda campaign to paint chemical diamonds as being somehow inferior to mined diamonds for any application.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God drat it. My father died this morning while he was at dialysis and while I'm waiting to find out what time my mother got me a flight home to Wyoming, I'm wondering if cremation actually is a more environmentally friendly way to dispose of the deceased over burial.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I remember when this used to shock me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Again, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE HANDLE LIVING LIKE THIS? I need to know. My therapist keeps giving me the "things will work out somehow" spiel. Am I supposed to get a therapist that magically makes me afraid of death far more than living in hell? Am I supposed to keep on going like nothing is wrong? The only reason I don't go out and create some sort of "voluntary euthanasia for everyone because climate change will collapse society" group is because I'm afraid of being institutionalized.

I just don't understand. People keep saying "we're all going to die, we're all going to suffer, etc", but the minute I bring up euthanasia I'm the crazy one. Why is it insane to prefer a complete lack of everything to pure pain 99% of your day?

Sorry for the rambling, I am trying to figure out what the hell I am supposed to do with my life that still magically allows me to be an introverted video game and internet afficionado. Even if it's an impossible task.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

Again, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE HANDLE LIVING LIKE THIS? I need to know. My therapist keeps giving me the "things will work out somehow" spiel. Am I supposed to get a therapist that magically makes me afraid of death far more than living in hell? Am I supposed to keep on going like nothing is wrong? The only reason I don't go out and create some sort of "voluntary euthanasia for everyone because climate change will collapse society" group is because I'm afraid of being institutionalized.

I just don't understand. People keep saying "we're all going to die, we're all going to suffer, etc", but the minute I bring up euthanasia I'm the crazy one. Why is it insane to prefer a complete lack of everything to pure pain 99% of your day?

Sorry for the rambling, I am trying to figure out what the hell I am supposed to do with my life that still magically allows me to be an introverted video game and internet afficionado. Even if it's an impossible task.

FYI, you're going to die and maybe suffer with or without regard to climate change. There's a lot of alarmist talk but, frankly, the climate is incredibly complex and no-one really knows what the gently caress is going to happen. The system is dynamic, highly chaotic and incredibly complex. Our best models leave out all kinds of effects that will have substantial impacts on the actual physical outcome of climate change and no-one can really predict, at all, the social reaction and outcomes to any of the climate-based events along the way. Don't lend anyone projecting current behavioral patterns in a straight line from past ones any real credence. Humanity has an absolutely enormous amount of ingenuity and resources at our disposal if we ever end up feeling like doing something about it in an open-throttle kind of way. Work to try to reduce the chances of bad outcomes on the curve of possibilities, maybe sell your 0-elevation beachfront property, but don't let it ruin your afternoon.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

God drat it. My father died this morning while he was at dialysis and while I'm waiting to find out what time my mother got me a flight home to Wyoming, I'm wondering if cremation actually is a more environmentally friendly way to dispose of the deceased over burial.

Turn him into diamonds.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AceOfFlames posted:

Make a lot of money working a tech field so that you can keep living comfortably even in periods of economic upheaval. Also don't live near the east coast or any other region that will experience mass migrations, and keep an eye on economic and social trends so you can relocate ahead of time if you need to. I'd also tell you to abstain from forming a family or having children for the sake of keeping up your mobility, but you sound like the self-absorbed piece of poo poo nerd that wouldn't do that anyway.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mustached Demon posted:

Turn him into diamonds.

Seriously?

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whatever you do with the body will be environmentally trivial compared to the carbon cost of flying to/from montana

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Star Man posted:

Seriously?

Yeah you can turn loved one's ashes into diamonds. Google it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mustached Demon posted:

That is the biggest load of white nonsense I've heard all day.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

you'll be fine, it's the poor people that will suffer. don't be such a negative nelly.
also why is global society all that great anyway? who cares if it collapses, by the sounds of it you personally would be better off without up-to-the-minute facebook news, you'll be too busy keeping raiders away from your chicken pens. It'll be awesome.

p.s. get out more, exercise, less computer, this thread does not contain your answers - only more misery

alternatively, work/save/fight your way to the 0.1% and join them in new zealand + make sure you download your steam library before the climate melts Valve's server farm. it might just be singleplayer solar-powered gaming for a few millennia though

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In other words: the Internet makes you stupid.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what I don't get is how the miami housing market hasn't collapsed yet

30 years from now is dang near 2050... shouldn't they stop giving out mortgages for things that will be flooding with every good storm?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

StabbinHobo posted:

30 years from now is dang near 2050... shouldn't they stop giving out mortgages for things that will be flooding with every good storm?

As long as the checks keep clearing, they'll keep on selling.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Chadzok posted:

you'll be fine, it's the poor people that will suffer. don't be such a negative nelly.
also why is global society all that great anyway? who cares if it collapses, by the sounds of it you personally would be better off without up-to-the-minute facebook news, you'll be too busy keeping raiders away from your chicken pens. It'll be awesome.

No, it's not. I don't even have the energy to cook, let alone fight raiders. And why adopt a healthier lifestyle if it's to get to the fighting bit? One of the things that honestly baffles me about modern society is that people are unhappier than ever yet are obsessed with living longer. If I end up dying of a heart attack before the collapse, that's great!

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 3, 2017

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
These are things you should be telling your therapist not random people on the Internet

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

StabbinHobo posted:

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Flo-ri-de-ans

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Chadzok posted:

p.s. get out more, exercise, less computer, this thread does not contain your answers - only more misery

alternatively, work/save/fight your way to the 0.1% and join them in new zealand + make sure you download your steam library before the climate melts Valve's server farm. it might just be singleplayer solar-powered gaming for a few millennia though

What about all of us that have moderate wealth but still have to work for a living? I imagine most of these forums fall into the mid-upper-middle white collar income level.

We could put our money together and try to buy an island again.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

No, it's not. I don't even have the energy to cook, let alone fight raiders. And why adopt a healthier lifestyle if it's to get to the fighting bit? One of the things that honestly baffles me about modern society is that people are unhappier than ever yet are obsessed with living longer. If I end up dying of a heart attack before the collapse, that's great!

I think the first thing you need to do is admit that climate change is not the problem.
I'm as doomsaying about anyone about the whole thing but that hasn't stopped me from running a business, starting a family, and looking forward to the future and enjoying exercise and home cooking.

Stop deluding yourself and get out of this thread. There's probably a depression/mental illness thread somewhere that is much more suited to you. You're not helping anyone, least of all yourself, by blaming climate change for your own issues.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

AceOfFlames posted:

cheer up bro, climate change alarmism is propaganda meant to demoralize you to set up worldwide mass austerity and taxation. go read up on the climate gate scandal it's all a scam and a fraud. now go have a whole bunch of children and go smoke a ton of weed and be happy life is great

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AceOfFlames posted:

Go bomb a pipeline.

Or a capitalist.

Or breeders.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

The lifespans of people like you and me are most likely going to be similar to the lifespans we'd have if climate change was magically halted right now. I mean, if you're some dirt-poor farmer trapped in Bangladesh or Mali that somehow has access to Something Awful and a therapist then obviously ignore this. But assuming that you are a Westerner, then your complaint right now is basically the same as complaining that you are going to die eventually, which is just a sad fact of human life no matter what. Therefore I agree with others that your real problem is depression or anxiety, not climate change.

If, at this moment, Florida was already half-sunk and the American refugee crisis was underway and India and Pakistan had kicked off a water war then yes I would probably agree with you that it's better to die now than suffer through nuclear winter. But that still looks to be a long time away. You have the knowledge and luck to make preparations now to be as comfortable as you can when it all goes down around 2050 or later.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

TildeATH posted:

Go bomb a pipeline.

Or a capitalist.

Or breeders.

Suggesting an obviously unstable person to go bomb some people, good job.

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016
Holy poo poo. A comment on this video hit it on the head for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNu3GRI3H4

"I'm a conservative and I'm annoyed by all the right wingers who reject climate change, as if this is a political question. I think the main reason they deny it is because if it were true, that would mean the government needs to step in and heavily constrain the market, which they don't like. Also, climate change goes against the dogmatic belief that the free market is a flawless system, according to some even created by God himself. Climate change would show there is no sufficient mechanism to get producers and consumers to thwart economic or environmental disaster if that damage is only experienced by the collective or future generations. But many people's complete trust in the free market is almost religious, and this makes the right look anti-science and close minded. It takes away our credibility on other subjects."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nocturtle posted:

What if we could slap a sea ice band-aid on the Arctic?

There's been a lot of whining about arctic sea ice extent in this thread, but why didn't anyone think to suggest erecting 10 million floating wind turbines to pump sea water on top of existing ice to freeze? So simple.

Expect to see more crazy geoengineering schemes discussed in popular media as the consequences of climate change become apparent but political solutions remain out of reach. On the other hand, it's always worth pointing out that even the most insane half-baked geoengineering schemes would be cheaper than the Iraq war. Conservatives had no problem burning a couple of trillion dollars on the flimsiest of pretexts, but apparently there's still not enough evidence to take action on climate change.

I don't know about whether or not this would work in theory, but I'm very sceptical about our ability to organize large scale, international engineering efforts including geoengineering. Things like that generally don't get done unless there's a very strong political or economic incentive to do so.

Technologically, all kinds of major human projects are now within reach, including going to Mars, colonizing the moon, developing a protection system against stray asteroids, probably developing nuclear fusion if we really wanted to, efficient international transportation systems, but none of them ever seem to actually come off the ground, usually because of a lack of organizational power, economic payoff and political will. I doubt geoengineering will be any different. Politicians and companies just don't have anything to gain from it personally, so it doesn't happen. Even within fairly strongly organized communities like the US or the EU the response to large crises is generally speaking inept and slow. I think we will wait, and wait, and wait, slowly letting reality overtake us until that which was once unimaginable becomes the new normal, and then we will accept whatever world we will be living in then.

cosmicprank posted:

"I'm a conservative and I'm annoyed by all the right wingers who reject climate change, as if this is a political question. I think the main reason they deny it is because if it were true, that would mean the government needs to step in and heavily constrain the market, which they don't like. Also, climate change goes against the dogmatic belief that the free market is a flawless system, according to some even created by God himself. Climate change would show there is no sufficient mechanism to get producers and consumers to thwart economic or environmental disaster if that damage is only experienced by the collective or future generations. But many people's complete trust in the free market is almost religious, and this makes the right look anti-science and close minded. It takes away our credibility on other subjects."

"Conservative" in American English has come to mean "person who favors the radical dismantling of traditional society by market forces".

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 3, 2017

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Why bother worrying, our very existence is a crime against nature, why pretend to care about your victim. It's pretty arrogant.

You can help poor people simply by sharing the loot from this great robbery, ie technologies like nuclear, but ya know, ya don't care.

Seriously consider why you bother pretending to care about climate change, do, the solution exists, you just gotta become a social pariah. but only crazy people would choose that poo poo rite? so continue to pretend so you can sit at the cool table, don't let that anxiety build and make you do something crazyyyy.

haha hilarious, so dumb that yall don't even realize that the little dumb poo poo yall do to reduce yalls anxiety is the very chemical balance you seek to stop yall from doing something actually helpful.

Why fight it, the things that validate your worth and value are the abilities to make choices that a poor person can't. if you choose not to make those choices, you are a poor person. don't lie, you look down on people who have lots of kids, live like sardines. they become cool table eligible once they get their own house and no longer need kids. choices, the best choice are the ones that seperate you, makes you special. because choices/freedom is about me, not us.

Femur fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 3, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
what would be a good inverse :freep: smiley?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bunch of crazies in this thread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
True, though I personally consider the lack of panic from people at large to be even crazier than anything posted in here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mustached Demon posted:

cosmicprank posted:

This was my outlook when I was a conservative. "Why are we dying on this hill? This is such a stupid f* hill."

Yes, as in did you actually run the job with tailoring as described or just kinda goof around with the reported results? If you have the job you ran, I have two racks largely free until next Monday and would be interested in independently back-of-napkin verifying your map. Some of us actually work in climate science or in support roles for climate scientists.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
We could learn a lot from MGS land, like making fuel-creating algae.

Potato Salad posted:

Yes, as in did you actually run the job with tailoring as described or just kinda goof around with the reported results? If you have the job you ran, I have two racks largely free until next Monday and would be interested in independently back-of-napkin verifying your map. Some of us actually work in climate science or in support roles for climate scientists.
Oh, I just took the temperature and precipitation maps from the hot version of the study, though I think I adjusted them slightly due to more recent orogenesis in the Himalayas. I did the majority of the work quite a while ago though, so I don't recall exactly. So yeah, it's goofing around with just an amateurs understanding of climate science. If you cook up something yourself I would definitely be interested in seeing it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Oh, I just took the temperature and precipitation maps from the hot version of the study, though I think I adjusted them slightly due to more recent orogenesis in the Himalayas. I did the majority of the work quite a while ago though, so I don't recall exactly. So yeah, it's goofing around with just an amateurs understanding of climate science. If you cook up something yourself I would definitely be interested in seeing it.

I too am an amateur with the actual science itself. Tuning is :bang: levels of work that can constitute the entire scope of a project unto itself. I can, however, push buttan on a payload I'm familiar with on idle resources and call it testing :ssh:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

AceOfFlames posted:

Again, HOW DO YOU PEOPLE HANDLE LIVING LIKE THIS?

I currently have bereavement-induced depression and can sympathize with your despair. I now spend far too much time playing video games, and weeping when I get too bored. But I do manage occasional bursts of useful activity which make me feel better; they're typically prompted by someone in my remaining family needing help. So my advice to you is to find people you can help. You will value yourself more and think about yourself less.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

StabbinHobo posted:

It's gonna happen eventually. There was a NY Times article on this, from November.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/24/science/global-warming-coastal-real-estate.html?_r=0

There is still high demand for beachfront property, but people are slowly becoming aware of the problem. The cost of flood insurance is constantly rising, and property values are already being affected. Developers, banks, homeowners, flood insurers etc, are constantly trying to get rid of risky properties before they get burned, like a game of hot potato. Coastal mortgages are growing into as big a bubble as the housing market in 2007. It won't recover this time though, as the waters aren't gonna recede, and the value of coastal property is gonna collapse long before the properties themselves are underwater.

It's gonna be pretty funny when Trump's golf courses in South Florida get swallowed by the ocean though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Global warming is a hoax, so that won't happen.

Now if you'll excuse me, my tee time is up. *waddles off in SCUBA suit*