Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DemonMage posted:

Just install the Google Play Store on it.

Good To Know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

DemonMage posted:

Just install the Google Play Store on it.

No, because why should I have to janitor my device, furthermore

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Magog posted:

I mean not having to janitor a device is a legit thing to look for I just happen to not give a poo poo

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Magog posted:

Install on first use, never deal with again doesn't seem janitorial to me. If it was like weekly sure

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Magog posted:

No, because why should I have to janitor

To buy the same quality tablet for $100 less. Amazon Fire tablets are crazy good quality hardware for the price when you buy them on sale. They go on sale about 3-5 times per year. I personally value tablets being extremely cheap as it lets me not worry if they break. Once something is over a couple hundred $ I tend to super baby it.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Stop actually responding to my stupid quip. :(

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Magog posted:

Stop actually responding to my stupid quip. :(
That's Poe's Law for you :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Magog posted:

Just to be clear, installing the Google Play Store takes a bit of fiddling, and a lot of it doesn't work 100%, you can't set a default launcher and some apps don't work. It's not 100% easy. I'd clearly recommend getting an NVIDIA shield or a refurb iPad mini. It's not tremendously more expensive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just to be clear, installing the Google Play Store takes a bit of fiddling, and a lot of it doesn't work 100%, you can't set a default launcher and some apps don't work. It's not 100% easy. I'd clearly recommend getting an NVIDIA shield or a refurb iPad mini. It's not tremendously more expensive.

What. Half of of this is completely wrong, the other half is kind of wrong, or irrelevant to the people who should be looking at the Fire.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 3, 2017

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
If you're looking for a decent 7" tablet and aren't running anything too taxing, I still think the Nook HD is a fantastic value. They're like $20-30 used, have a great screen (1440x900 IPS) and come with the play store. If you're so inclined, there's CM and AOSP versions up Nougat that are trivial to flash, and the hardware makes it pretty much impossible to brick.

Cons are a custom charging cable, and the Nook can be a bit picky about chargers (it doesn't like Apple and some generics, but seems fine with most Android chargers and all PC USB ports).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

clockworx posted:

great screen (1440x900 IPS)
lol

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I'm looking for a new tablet. I can't even bring myself to pick up my Nexus 9 anymore.

I'd like something in the 7-8" range with a nice screen. I don't play games, but browse the internet and maybe watch some Netflix. It NEEDS a sim slot though, I've got this Project Fi data only sim card sitting her doing absolutely nothing, it'd be great to be able to use it. Is there a AOSP or some other well maintained custom ROM build for it? Even better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There are only 3 Android tablets compatible with Fi and you own one of them.

One of them, the Tab S, doesn't meet your AOSP requirement.

So, I guess seek out a N7 2013 LTE?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's AOSP ROMs for the Tab S, at least. No idea how easy they are to install or whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

There's AOSP ROMs for the Tab S, at least. No idea how easy they are to install or whatever.

There's also the fact that this would be the LTE model which may not get as much ROM love.

Also, don't know if an AOSP ROM for the Tab S would still support Fi.

The Android tablet landscape suuuuucks right now unless you just want a wifi handheld web browser.

Not to say there's been a ton of innovation on the Apple side either though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I literally want to install an app to read CBR files (literally just rar files with a different from xtension) and like VLC and a file explorer and that's it

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

What. Half of of this is completely wrong, the other half is kind of wrong, or irrelevant to the people who should be looking at the Fire.

Doesn't it require you to have adb working and all the Android drivers? That in itself is a pain.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Doesn't it require you to have adb working and all the Android drivers? That in itself is a pain.
Yeah but if you run a tool from xda with admin privileges it does it all for you.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jerk McJerkface posted:

No. You just download the play store apks and install them. Then it just works like any normal android device.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

No. You just download the play store apks and install them. Then it just works like any normal android device.

I did that, but I found that you couldn't change the default launcher, and it kept advertising amazon content all over it. Like the amazon launcher doesn't really have good ways to hide your amazon library content. I got one for my kid, but I just couldn't get it to show just a default screen with his three school apps. With a standard android device I could have done most of what I wanted, but it didn't do it, mostly because the launcher limitations and the amazon advertising.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I did that, but I found that you couldn't change the default launcher, and it kept advertising amazon content all over it. Like the amazon launcher doesn't really have good ways to hide your amazon library content. I got one for my kid, but I just couldn't get it to show just a default screen with his three school apps. With a standard android device I could have done most of what I wanted, but it didn't do it, mostly because the launcher limitations and the amazon advertising.

OK, but you think that's a good basis to just give out the general advice that people shouldn't get it and should spend two to five times as much?

I mean, people who are just wanting a basic content consumption thing likely won't care about the launcher.

There are plenty of circumstances where people should get a higher priced tablet which is why I'm not just going to just say "people should just get the Fire whatever" but the reverse holds true as well.

Also, if you don't have a requirement for only three apps in the screen with your favorite launcher, the Fire makes a superb kids tablet... particularly with with FreeTime Unlimited.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You can change the default launcher just fine. No root. Takes no effort.

http://www.howtogeek.com/270022/how-to-use-a-different-home-screen-launcher-on-the-amazon-fire-tablet-without-rooting-it/

You'll still get the lockscreen offers and the occasional offer notification, but that's it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

St_Ides posted:

You can change the default launcher just fine. No root. Takes no effort.

http://www.howtogeek.com/270022/how-to-use-a-different-home-screen-launcher-on-the-amazon-fire-tablet-without-rooting-it/

You'll still get the lockscreen offers and the occasional offer notification, but that's it.

Doesn't that flash the Kindle home for a sec first? At least that what it did for mine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Doesn't that flash the Kindle home for a sec first? At least that what it did for mine.

It did on mine most of the time, it was annoying so I just gave up

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

You may laugh at that, but you should really look at the displays that Amazon puts on their new Fire "HD" devices. :stare:

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

For like half a second, maybe. Doesn't bother me. I more did it to avoid ads.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't care about the lockscreen ads I just swipe them away when I unlock. The notification ads can be blocked just long press hit the i and hide them

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Blue Train posted:

I don't care about the lockscreen ads I just swipe them away when I unlock. The notification ads can be blocked just long press hit the i and hide them

I'm just going to pay twenty bucks to not have special offers it's crazy

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If I cared that much I'd have done the same. I don't

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Blue Train posted:

I can't loving believe I haven't tried that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Blue Train posted:

If I cared that much I'd have done the same. I don't

Same. I see them for about 1 second per day. Who cares.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google kinda announced a new tablet today.

Google and Samsung partnered to create a new Chromebook that's a reference for the Play Store integration.

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4/14167978/samsung-chromebook-plus-pro-google-stylus-ces-2017

2400x1600 3:2 ratio 12.3" touchscreen with built in stylus support (pretty much the same stylus that the Note 5 had). Convertible design. Two USB-C ports, SD card slot, 32gb storage and 4gb of RAM.

It comes in two flavors. Plus and Pro. The only difference between them is the Plus is using an ARM processor (and will launch sooner). The Pro will come out in the spring and has an Intel M3 processor in it.

It's 2.5 lbs, so it's just a half pound heavier than the Pixel C with keyboard with a screen that's 2" larger.

The Play Store will still be in beta when the plus launches in Feb. However, by the time the pro launches, the Play Store on Chromebooks will be out of beta and on full Nougat.

Plus is $449, price for the Pro isn't set yet.

So, this pretty much seems like a drop in replacement for the Pixel C. Considering that the Pixel C is OOS in many places (including the Play Store in 32gb), I have a feeling it's on the way out.

I did pick up the HP Chromebook 13 last year, but I could see getting rid of that, my Pixel C, and possibly my Surface Pro 3 and picking this up as a catchall device.

I still want a new 7" tablet though. Come on Google, make it happen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Google kinda announced a new tablet today.

Google and Samsung partnered to create a new Chromebook that's a reference for the Play Store integration.

http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/4/14167978/samsung-chromebook-plus-pro-google-stylus-ces-2017

2400x1600 3:2 ratio 12.3" touchscreen with built in stylus support (pretty much the same stylus that the Note 5 had). Convertible design. Two USB-C ports, SD card slot, 32gb storage and 4gb of RAM.

It comes in two flavors. Plus and Pro. The only difference between them is the Plus is using an ARM processor (and will launch sooner). The Pro will come out in the spring and has an Intel M3 processor in it.

It's 2.5 lbs, so it's just a half pound heavier than the Pixel C with keyboard with a screen that's 2" larger.

The Play Store will still be in beta when the plus launches in Feb. However, by the time the pro launches, the Play Store on Chromebooks will be out of beta and on full Nougat.

Plus is $449, price for the Pro isn't set yet.

So, this pretty much seems like a drop in replacement for the Pixel C. Considering that the Pixel C is OOS in many places (including the Play Store in 32gb), I have a feeling it's on the way out.

I did pick up the HP Chromebook 13 last year, but I could see getting rid of that, my Pixel C, and possibly my Surface Pro 3 and picking this up as a catchall device.

I still want a new 7" tablet though. Come on Google, make it happen.

I'm really curious about a ChromeOS tablet with the Play Store but not enough to blindly buy one.

I could see, given the right hardware, replacing my mid-2011 MacBook Air with a ChromeOS notebook given my usage. That said, I can say with certainty that I wouldn't want Android in a laptop form-factor like the Pixel C as there's just too many compromises so this device at least gets the laptop side right but if ChromeOS wasn't good enough as a tablet interface for the Pixel C, how is it good enough now? (Hint: It still isn't.)

I'm not sure I'd drop $500+ on a device designed to support a paradigm that probably won't last long as I have to think that whatever directions ChromeOS and Android move, it won't remain the status quo of kinda-touch on ChromeOS with the Play Store but minus some phone-based APIs and Android where it's one application at a time period with a hacky second window mode. Neither position is sustainable long-term so I'd rather see a clear indication of where things are going before buying into what there is right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm on the Beta channel for my HP Chromebook so I have the Play Store on it currently and it's pretty nice. It fills gaps nicely. Where it falls down is the lack of touch, but that won't be a problem for this device.

A touch convertible Chromebook with the Play Store would be virtually indistinguishable from that same device running Android and a bit better in a few ways (free floating windows for apps at smaller sizes, full Chrome.)

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

So is the consensus that the Shield K1 is the best N7 replacement? Are the Asus Zenpads any good?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope that Chromebook includes a sticker saying not to put the stylus in the wrong way!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shield K1 is the best alternative to the N7 2013 in so far as the fact as it's the thing still being sold new from the manufacturer. I remain skeptical that the K1 will see an update beyond its current Marshmallow since Nvidia has abandoned the tablet market, so it may remain an upgrade over the N7 in a slight speed bump only.

I remain ever hopeful that a Pixel 7 is just around the corner and any day now we'll hear Google announce a new aluminum bodied 7" device with a Snapdragon 835, 4gb of ram, and a QHD AMOLED display. I have no evidence or leaks to back this up, but I am going to try to wish it into existence regardless.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Shield K1 is the best alternative to the N7 2013 in so far as the fact as it's the thing still being sold new from the manufacturer. I remain skeptical that the K1 will see an update beyond its current Marshmallow since Nvidia has abandoned the tablet market, so it may remain an upgrade over the N7 in a slight speed bump only.

I remain ever hopeful that a Pixel 7 is just around the corner and any day now we'll hear Google announce a new aluminum bodied 7" device with a Snapdragon 835, 4gb of ram, and a QHD AMOLED display. I have no evidence or leaks to back this up, but I am going to try to wish it into existence regardless.

I was hearing rumors that Huawei was originally going to be making it (as a Nexus device) and the deal fell through. Which would explain the delay in getting the tablet out. It would be nice to see google release a smaller form factor tablet (preferably with 32,64,128 gb storage options as well).

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So nVidia announced a new Shield TV capable of 4k, but no refresh to the tablet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JayKay posted:

So nVidia announced a new Shield TV capable of 4k, but no refresh to the tablet. :(

The Shield TV wasn't refreshed either. They basically announced the Nougat upgrade for the Shield TV and three new peripherals. The console hardware remains unchanged.