Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

scuba school sucks posted:

I would even disagree with Ornamented Death that the "ending" fits or is appropriate. I'd say that it contradicts what you've been being told throughout the series about how important the quest is. If, like me, you invested TWENTY YEARS of your life as a fan of a series and all along they've been telling you, this is it, this is the LAST QUEST and if our heroes don't succeed on their quest it's not just the end of their world it's the end of all worlds as all possible universes fall apart, you'd be righteously peeved when you get to the end and the author stops the book to address the reader directly (distinct from another section a little earlier where the author literally inserts himself as a character in the story) and tells you, "hey don't read the ending because you'll think it sucks, if you do that's on you for reading an ending you were warned was gonna suck and not on me the author for writing an ending I know sucks". Even better the ending is basically LOL none of that poo poo counted because it was all a dream, press A to start New Game Plus and if you get 100% of the collectibles you get the "real" ending also buy the comic books (which contradict the books you've already read) and watch the movie or you can just imagine what the New Game Plus was like. Thanks a lot jackass, glad I spent several hundred dollars on your novels over my lifetime. The dude forgot what it was like to be working fifty hours a week in a laundry plus going out on the weekends picking up glass bottles off dirt roads to trade in at the recycle center so he and his wife could afford food, clothes AND the rent. Because that guy wouldn't have been satisfied with such a story and I hope he wouldn't have inflicted such on the public.

Plus he casually dismissed some of his much better and more complete works as "mindtraps". Hey, did you like Salem's Lot or The Stand? You probably think the characters from those books that show up later in the Dark Tower series mean the Dark Tower series is somehow connected to those books. NOPE MINDTRAP some nefarious creature made up those connections to deliberately waste your time. I wonder if you read the original Gunslinger book one or the revised one. "To speak of The Beast is to speak of the ruination of one's own soul." You might think that at some point they'd meet whoever or whatever The Beast was. King retroactively erased The Beast out of post DT7 printings of The Gunslinger. Way too much of the last three books goes out of its way to contradict nearly everything his other works have told you about the series, especially when he told you that once he wrote the part with the newly-beweaponed Gunslinger waking up in the brothel he had the whole story buried in his head he just had to dig it out.

It's a shame because there's some good scenes in the last book, but too much of it felt like King was punishing me for actually caring about his works. I still read his books, but I make it a point to buy used copies at Goodwill instead of standing in line for the midnight release at Waldenbooks like I used to. Read the first three or maybe four if you really care about resolving the cliffhanger at the end of three, then tell yourself "the guy who wrote this got run over by a van and died, too bad, I'd have liked to read the rest of it."

Or you can be a bitter, pathetic, hate-filled shell of a man like me. That's another option.

Yeah he has "constant" tattooed on one cheek and "reader" tattooed on the other, I got a real good look when he literarily teabagged me.

drat man I don't think even a fragmaster reading can save this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

USMC_Karl posted:

Not to move off subject, but I've been recently re-reading Full Dark, No Stars and got to say that I love Fair Exchange and A Good Marriage. 1922 is also a pretty good story, but I didn't really enjoy Big Driver so much. Something about Big Driver just hit me the wrong way.

I'm thinking of rereading all of the King short story anthologies that I have and would like some recommendations since it's been so long. What are some of your favorites?

There's some really good stuff in Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual. I loved just about every story in N&D, particularly "Dolan's Cadillac" and "The End of the Whole Mess", and "Autopsy Room 4", "In the Deathroom", "Everything's Eventual", "The Road Virus Heads North", and "Little Sisters of Eluria" in EE. King is always at his best when he's writing short fiction.

It's worth noting, in case you weren't aware (but I'm pretty sure most everyone in here is), that "Little Sisters of Eluria" falls somewhere in the Dark Tower mythology. I have never been able to get into the Dark Tower series at all (and believe me, I've tried -- my dad loves it), but "Little Sisters of Eluria" is a great story.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I just finished Wizard and Glass about an hour and a half ago and what I'm getting from this thread is that I should just stop there, but I'm not going to because I am a defiant type.

Also, since it's kind of a divisive one I will say that I liked Needful Things, but it's long and a bit of a slog in some points. There's some really nice "small town turns into hell on earth" buildup and payoff throughout.

e: and since I'm already here, I thought it was really annoying how in the end of W&G the Tick Tock Man, who, at the end of book 3, is presented as very dangerous and scary, and is rescued by the man in black (unbeknownst to Roland and Jake) in a damned suspenseful tease of his return, just gets shot to death in like two seconds. It was kinda funny, and I loved the book overall, but I spent most of my time reading it expecting TTM to come back and actually be a threat for at least a hot second or something. The flashback stuff though, that poo poo was excellent.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 3, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I genuinely like the Dark Tower series (except Song of Susannah, because it's just awful). I even like the "real" ending that everyone else hates.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

ConfusedUs posted:

I genuinely like the Dark Tower series (except Song of Susannah, because it's just awful). I even like the "real" ending that everyone else hates.

Same here, except I'd even go so far as to say I like Song of Susannah. The whole fun of DT is building up the characters.

Karmine, don't listen to everyone else and read the series if you are finding it fun. I can understand why people don't like the ending. I can even understand why people don't like some of (or all of) the newer books. However, to me, DT is basically one of the best series I've ever read.

Regarding the TTM, (I won't go into spoilers, just stating my opinion) the one thing I really like about the DT series is that, while all of the characters are built up as unstoppably bad-rear end dudes, it only takes one slip up and they are gone. TTM shows us just how vulnerable everyone in DT is.

Keep posting whatever you feel along the way, it's always fun to vicariously go through a first time DT read. Especially if you get all the way to the end.

This is real spoilers regarding the last book I don't care how many times I read it, watching the Tet fall always breaks me up. Eddie was a total shocker and brutally hard, Jake was foreshadowed and we could tell he was going to bite it, but still really hurt, and Oy was just SK making GBS threads on my soul. I like to see Jake's passing as the point in the story where we can really see that Roland has finally learned his lesson.

*edit* holy poo poo, sorry if you saw that spoiler. I accidentally typed [ b ] instead of [ spoiler ] without even thinking about it.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 3, 2017

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I saw like three spoilery words but whatever, poo poo happens I ain't mad atcha.

I've enjoyed the series, but is it hosed up that I just read Wizard and Glass, a book that's roughly 80% flashbacks to a young Roland, and I'm more interested in hearing more about Roland's backstory than I am in the quest for the tower?

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Karmine posted:

I saw like three spoilery words but whatever, poo poo happens I ain't mad atcha.

I've enjoyed the series, but is it hosed up that I just read Wizard and Glass, a book that's roughly 80% flashbacks to a young Roland, and I'm more interested in hearing more about Roland's backstory than I am in the quest for the tower?

IMO, nah. DT is all about the characters and Roland, being the king of all of 'em, is the most interesting.

I'll admit to not liking W&G when it first came out, but when I re-read it I realized how awesome the book is. The main problem that I (and most of the people who went through waiting for the books) had is the jump from Blaine to backstory.

If you get through all of the books and want more fun kind-of Roland backstory, The Wind Through The Keyhole is Roland telling some campfire stories. I know that it takes place between W&G and Wolves, but honestly cannot remember if it spoils anything from Wolves. Others can chime in on if it does or doesn't, but if it doesn't you might want to read it next if you are more interested in Roland and less about the tower quest.

Sorry for the spoiler slip :smith:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Karmine posted:

Nope, that's extremely normal. I often see W&G as mentioned as the best in the series. It's between that and IT as my favorite book he's written. Unfortunately I think you're going to regret not stopping there based on reading your post.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Karmine posted:

I enjoyed W&G the most too. Wind Through The Keyhole goes into some of that backstory so check that out if you can; also The Eyes of the Dragon, IIRC, while not explicitly related to DT and notionally a "children's story" (but not really), was similar enough in the backstory of DT to be very satisfying to read as a companion novel.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Wind Through The Keyhole should be renamed to poo poo Through A Butt because god drat if it isn't a heaping great sandwich of all the things King sucks at.

Clumsy nudge-nudge-wink-wink retroactive foreshadowing that makes no goddamned sense. Storytelling at its most folksy and bullshit. King's clumsy rear end made up dialects all over the goddamned shop. loving Oy, who they should've shot as soon as he appeared in Waste Lands. Roland the loving ultimate survivalist apparently doesn't recognise the super obvious signs of some dangerous weather condition. A mystery story that isn't a mystery story encapsulating this never ending rambling fairy tale that just goes and goes and goes without any point. And then to cap it all the whole AND ONCE HE'D TOLD HIS TALE IT SEEMED TO THE KA-TET THAT THE NIGHT HAD BEEN SOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG YOU GUYS TIME BENT that for some reason King always thinks is cool. poo poo sucks. Behead those who promote it, insh'allah.

But hey at least it's not Lisey's Story.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Disgusting Coward posted:

Wind Through The Keyhole should be renamed to poo poo Through A Butt because god drat if it isn't a heaping great sandwich of all the things King sucks at.

Clumsy nudge-nudge-wink-wink retroactive foreshadowing that makes no goddamned sense. Storytelling at its most folksy and bullshit. King's clumsy rear end made up dialects all over the goddamned shop. loving Oy, who they should've shot as soon as he appeared in Waste Lands. Roland the loving ultimate survivalist apparently doesn't recognise the super obvious signs of some dangerous weather condition. A mystery story that isn't a mystery story encapsulating this never ending rambling fairy tale that just goes and goes and goes without any point. And then to cap it all the whole AND ONCE HE'D TOLD HIS TALE IT SEEMED TO THE KA-TET THAT THE NIGHT HAD BEEN SOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG YOU GUYS TIME BENT that for some reason King always thinks is cool. poo poo sucks. Behead those who promote it, insh'allah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOs4vsthLD0&t=23s

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

loving Oy, who they should've shot as soon as he appeared in Waste Lands.

What the gently caress

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

See now you just look like you're aping scuba school sucks. I give this post a 3/10.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Did you know that when W&G came out, I read it.. and hated it. Why the hell are we spending so much time in a goddamn flashback??? What the hell is really going on with Flagg?? OMG THEY'RE IN THE STAND THIS IS INCREDIBLE ARE THEY GOING TO RUN INTO LARRY nope just more loving baby roland flashbacks GODDAMN

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Need No Instruction posted:

Is it at all possible to get a spoiler-free breakdown of why the ending of The Dark Tower is so hated(I don't know if it's possible to explain without spoilers)?

I just finished the first book of the series and I liked it a lot, but I've heard from several people (and even the first page in this thread) that the ending basically ruins the entire series. I liked The Gunslinger enough to want to read more, but I don't know that I want to continue based on the reactions I've heard about the ending.

Basically, nothing in the entire series mattered, in a very literal sense.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rush Limbo posted:

Have I got some bad news for you about a genre called 'fiction'

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I really like W&G as a story but as book 4 in Roland's quest to reach the dark tower it annoyed me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I also just realized books 4 and 4.5 are flashback books and now imagine Eddie Susannah and jake rolling their eyes as Roland decides to tell another goddamn story Jesus loving Christ we just want to go to sleep roland

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I guess I'm glad I never read any of The Dark Tower books. I see them all the time in the library and poo poo and sometimes consider saying "why not?" and taking the plunge but everything I hear says the payoff isn't worth the investment.

Currently starting "End of Watch" which I got for Christmas. I enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy for the most part. Not great but but not bad at least and King is generally such a good writer that I can hand on through plot elements that don;t do it for me.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Rush Limbo posted:

See, I don't agree with this.

The whole quest is us watching Roland and seeing how he is willing to be just as bad as the bad guys in his quest for good. Roland is basically the ends justify the means made flesh. He has no compunction about using his companions and tossing them aside just as the CK does. When we get to the end of the story, we start to see that his entire being has changed, his time with the Tet has made him realize that fellowship is more important than the tower, and that without fellowship the tower is meaningless. To me, that is the whole point of the series. We see that the goal is not the most important thing, in fact the path to the goal is just as, if not more, important. In the last half of the series, Roland starts to question his incessant drive for the tower, but it still wins out in the end. When he restarts (for lack of a better word) we are left thinking that maybe, just maybe, this time he'll do things right.

Tl;dr (and spoiler free), DT is all about the story to me, not about the ending. That's not to say that I don't think the ending is good, I really like the ending, but it's pretty secondary to the 4,000+ page build-up.

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess I'm glad I never read any of The Dark Tower books. I see them all the time in the library and poo poo and sometimes consider saying "why not?" and taking the plunge but everything I hear says the payoff isn't worth the investment.

Currently starting "End of Watch" which I got for Christmas. I enjoyed the first two books in the trilogy for the most part. Not great but but not bad at least and King is generally such a good writer that I can hand on through plot elements that don;t do it for me.

Eh, I'm obviously biased, but I'd suggest maybe trying DT and seeing how it sits with you. I'm pretty sure that everyone will agree that the first 3 books are amazingly stellar, the 4th is pretty well received, and then the rest are pretty divisive.

End of Watch was decent, but I was a little thrown by the move into the supernatural. Sure, it was forecast at the end of Finder's Keepers, but I really like King when he's dealing with more mundane evil and saw the Bill Hodge's trilogy as focused on that. Having the last book veer off course was a little bit of a let down.

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 4, 2017

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
end of watch is preposterous

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

scary ghost dog posted:

end of watch is preposterous

I wasn't sure what it was right after I read it, but yeah, it's an entire book full of the last third of a Stephen King book. First two thirds were pretty decent, too.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

On the other hand, I've read all the DT books a handful of times. I enjoy 'em. Like Fishmech, I'm kinda excited about the movies because of the book's ending/promotional stuff King has put out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

DT is my poo poo. During/after Wolves of the Calla it goes downhill but those first 4 books are golden.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
King fans love making lists, has anyone ever made a list of his works that have nothing supernatural in them? Roadwork and Apt Pupil could be on there.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

King fans love making lists, has anyone ever made a list of his works that have nothing supernatural in them? Roadwork and Apt Pupil could be on there.

I'd say Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers could be on that list as well. I guess it's possible that I'm forgetting something though.

Also, A Good Marriage and Batman & Robin from his short stories are also totally lacking in supernatural happenings.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

From Night Shift:
Quitters, Inc.
Strawberry Spring
Night Surf
The Man Who Loved Flowers

From Different Seasons:
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
The Body

From Skeleton Crew:
Survivor Type

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I'll steal these award winners from Yahoo! answers wholesale

Best Answer: Most of the "early" Bachman books:
- Rage
- The Long Walk (great book!)
- Roadwork
- The Running Man

Also:
- Cujo
-Misery
- three out of the four* novellas in Different Seasons (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil, The Body)
- Gerald's Game**
- Dolores Claiborne**
- The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

I agree with most of these once this constant reader got to Joyland it was a little off track, imho

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Maybe you should stick to other authors then.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

syscall girl posted:

- Gerald's Game**
- Dolores Claiborne**

Are the asterixes because of the weird thing joining the two books? Because it's a stupid, lovely way of making them into companion books and we should all ignore it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are the asterixes because of the weird thing joining the two books? Because it's a stupid, lovely way of making them into companion books and we should all ignore it.

It was because of lazily copy pasting something from Yahoo! answers

Everything besides that is up to you to explain.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Okay I've got nothing but time on my little internet fingats and am listening to Jimmy Carr finish off our dumb year.

So I'll explain how Gerald's Game and Dolores Claiborne are interconnected.

gently caress, I'm worried they are but I can't put the pieces together and would rather watch someone else do it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

syscall girl posted:

gently caress, I'm worried they are but I can't put the pieces together and would rather watch someone else do it.

I'll take a stab at it. Mind you, it's been years since I've read either, so this is half-remembered.

In Gerald's Game, whatshername's (Jessie?) father molested her during a total eclipse. Meanwhile, during that same eclipse in Dolores Claiborne, Dolores has a vision of Jessie's father molesting her at the time it's happening.

Edited for spoilers, in case anyone here hasn't read either of these books. My suggestion is, don't bother if you haven't.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

They are both bad books

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

In addition to all the others listed there's The Colorado Kid maybe :iiam:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

They are both bad books

Gerald's Game was a bad book for sure

Dolores Claiborne was a good book and movie

Like a real good movie.

Had some of the same dark material about rape but included some great actors (even the guy who played Dolores hubby) and just swung and missed somehow

But you can chat about the sisters in Green Mile in decent society

Never talk about the screwdriver though

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Zwabu posted:

From Night Shift:
Quitters, Inc.
Strawberry Spring
Night Surf
The Man Who Loved Flowers

From Different Seasons:
Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption
The Body

From Skeleton Crew:
Survivor Type

I've been reading a ton of King's short stories and you missed a few, some quite good.

The Ledge in Night Surf is great, as is The Woman in the Room, while The Last Rung On the Ladder is probably the weakest story in the book.

Everything's Eventual also has a lot of non-weird stuff stories. From good ones like Autopsy Room 4, In the Deathroom and LT's theory of Pets, to some bad ones like The Death of Jack Hamilton and All That You Love Will be Carried Away.

Basically what I'm saying is that I love King's short fiction, I'm pretty excited to start reading Skeleton Crew, it's the only short story collection that I haven't read yet

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 5, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That exact eclipse was a big thing in an episode of Mad Men, a fact which made the episode kind of distasteful to me in a way I didn't like. It was Stephen King's fault!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

USMC_Karl posted:

I'd say Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers could be on that list as well. I guess it's possible that I'm forgetting something though.

Horrible spoilers: you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hearts in Atlantis is wholly non-supernatural. No, not the unremarkable/kind of bad lead story "Low Men in Yellow Coats" which everyone thinks of when you talk about that book, but the actual story with that title. No psychic BS, just a slice of life from the late 60s.