Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

we're talking about salary, not physical fitness, right?

make sure to get ur rings and grill in the shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

C.H.O.M.E posted:

sometimes I see people running on the trail in jeans and a belt and I am just ???

loving same. Dude in chinos and a belt at the Y, what have you done wrong brother?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

dick traceroute posted:

So... Hypothetically I have been doing (relatively technical) qa at this company for ~2 years.

I've wrangled a junior dev position out of it starting in January

How long to stick it out for xp before trying for a non junior role somewhere else?

There are fundamental problems here that... Won't (Probably could, but lol, no) be fixed

Also gin, lol

basically the minute you have a title change you should delete QA from your resume and never ever mention it. say you've been a dev the whole time. you stick around until you are a good enough dev to get hired elsewhere. that means having enough experience to talk about projects you've worked on.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
ah, so I will be a Hollywood reboot, basically

makes sense to me, my resume will be... interesting. there is already a drastic career change in it before Qa.

fully intending to kick rear end and have senior in my title in ~5 years, I've never gone halfway on anything

related question: with the above goal in mind, is there any point finishing this open university degree (Computing and mathematics)? I sorta feel I'll learn more on the job/on my own than I will from academia. Also at the current rate I won't finish it in 5 years from now :-(

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://dandreamsofcoding.com/2014/03/18/dissecting-an-interview-question/

quote:

if you can't do it, then you aren't going to be able to solve completely novel problems

lol at the idea that that being unable to solve some interviewer's pet problem in a completely unnatural and high-pressure interview environment means you're unfit to solve novel problems

double lol at the implication that (many? most?) developers need to be able to "solve completely novel problems" rather than just implement some well-understood solution to common business problem 42069

compuserved fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 3, 2017

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really can't think of anything worse than interviews for developer positions anymore

just the false objectivity -- most other fields with lovely processes at least know they're being elitist selective assholes up front

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I work on novel problems and still basically my entire job is implementing obvious poo poo

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

I work on novel problems and still basically my entire job is implementing obvious poo poo

good point, and same

compuserved fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 3, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Bloody posted:

i work on novel problems but that is because i am an editorial assistant for a major literary publishing house

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

Same

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

I got put in charge of doing the technical interview for some interns despite having zero experience doing interviews. What are some good questions to ask to see if someone is capable of self-teaching? eg. if something requires we use Ruby, Im hoping they can go online, find some pdfs/youtube videos/etc on ruby and get themselves up to a basic level without much input from me.

We expect intern candidates to only have sophomore generic programming and reasoning ability and no prior experience.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Blockade posted:

I got put in charge of doing the technical interview for some interns despite having zero experience doing interviews. What are some good questions to ask to see if someone is capable of self-teaching? eg. if something requires we use Ruby, Im hoping they can go online, find some pdfs/youtube videos/etc on ruby and get themselves up to a basic level without much input from me.

We expect intern candidates to only have sophomore generic programming and reasoning ability and no prior experience.
on-site or phone?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Elysiume posted:

on-site or phone?

On site

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i hadn't heard back from this recruiter over the last 2 weeks (probably holiday outage) so i sent him another email just to say "hey, can't wait to talk about this and here's an updated resume." that doesn't come off desperate, does it?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i hadn't heard back from this recruiter over the last 2 weeks (probably holiday outage) so i sent him another email just to say "hey, can't wait to talk about this and here's an updated resume." that doesn't come off desperate, does it?

1 email is okay, and shows that you're serious. 2 is desperate.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

kind of, yeah.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

you're fine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

compuserved posted:

https://dandreamsofcoding.com/2014/03/18/dissecting-an-interview-question/

lol at the idea that that being unable to solve some interviewer's pet problem in a completely unnatural and high-pressure interview environment means you're unfit to solve novel problems

double lol at the implication that (many? most?) developers need to be able to "solve completely novel problems" rather than just implement some well-understood solution to common business problem 42069

yeeeeaah, well, that question really is not a lot to ask of people who are supposed to be programming as a profession. even if you don't implement trees that much an awful lot of code does involve at least *walking* a tree of objects, so this seems solidly on the side of reasonable

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's an ok question that any reasonable programmer should be able to solve in a few minutes but lol at the way he treats it as his holy Question with points deducted if you don't solve it according to his particular set of secret and arbitrary criteria

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

big scary monsters posted:

it's an ok question that any reasonable programmer should be able to solve in a few minutes but lol at the way he treats it as his holy Question with points deducted if you don't solve it according to his particular set of secret and arbitrary criteria

yeah, this is what i was getting at

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
otoh trying to suss out the hidden arbitrary criteria on which youre judged and trying to conform to it is a p important job skill. maybe theyre just testing for that?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in my last interviews the only time I was asked to write a bst class it was just part of a tree manipulation question

he didn't let me go to an array representation to make the problem trivial :mad:

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

ok now fix these 300 css bugs please

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

at least I was applying for a c++ backend position on that one

i can't believe people get those in depth algorithm questions for front end positions

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeeeeaah, well, that question really is not a lot to ask of people who are supposed to be programming as a profession. even if you don't implement trees that much an awful lot of code does involve at least *walking* a tree of objects, so this seems solidly on the side of reasonable

i would identify as a programmer and i have literally never ever used a tree in my paid job. even outside of my job they have come up at best very rarely; i can think of only one instance, ever, where i used something resembling a tree in something resembling production code

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i literally don't even know what is special about a binary search tree without looking it up

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

have you never used a std::map?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if that is the same thing as a hash table, yes. are those secretly binary search trees

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yes. well there are other ways to do it but i don't think there's any reason not to implement a dictionary as a tree of some sort

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya like tree of some sort makes sense for sure. idk what makes a bst a bst though and if someone asked me in an interview id just say uhhhh until they told me to leave

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what the standard library does doesn't seem that important, but in all jobs i have had there has certainly been elements of e.g. walking a tree of financial contract types, or users in potentially nested groups, or perhaps even the DOM at times. using search in an ordered binary tree as a standin for getting to verify that the applicant can at least in principle do these things seems fine

i am sure there are jobs where different skills are called for, but i can certainly see the use of that question from the perspective of things i have done

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive stagnated already but i love my team and the pay is good, and ill probably get a raise this month

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what the standard library does doesn't seem that important, but in all jobs i have had there has certainly been elements of e.g. walking a tree of financial contract types, or users in potentially nested groups, or perhaps even the DOM at times. using search in an ordered binary tree as a standin for getting to verify that the applicant can at least in principle do these things seems fine

i am sure there are jobs where different skills are called for, but i can certainly see the use of that question from the perspective of things i have done

ya there definitely useful in a bunch of applications and if your application happens to be one of those then by all means use it in your interviews

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk it all just kinda irks me because i assume any decent dev can pick up basically any new thing in a few weeks or months which is pretty much always feasible here at least so id rather just interview people on like "are you good at googling stuff" and "are you good at learning new problem domains or concepts or technologies" than "do you already know specific technology x" even if specific technology x is a relatively common data structure. like i didnt know poo poo about lock-free thread-safe collections before my current project and now they're a central underpinning to it so like i'd rather find people that can figure out that part than people who just already know the thing. i also realize that this approach probably doesnt apply everywhere and i also have no idea how you'd interview for it in the first place

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the short answer to why hiring is garbage is because it's very difficult to evaluate somebody's ability to quickly learn and implement new technologies or methods and also companies think they can just have middle managers do it to save money and all they know how to do is check lists so you end up with concrete metrics and requirements being part of the process when they don't need to be.

there's a reason that people and compabies specialize specifically in hiring and personnel management.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laffo I've only made two real professional enemies in my career and they're both in management positions at companies I want to work at

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fortunately my only enemy is at a company i wish to avoid so much that i'd quit my job if we were even acquired by them

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
on the bright side I'm not important enough to have enemies :unsmith:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i got an email from apple guy and i should have a phone interview with them in the next couple of weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i got an email from apple guy and i should have a phone interview with them in the next couple of weeks!

nice

• Locked thread