Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's almost as if he's producing entertainment and not cold scholarly computer knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish someone would sponsor me an 6950X or two, instead of Linus.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Stop the radiator hate. A fanless pc is a dream of mine and idgaf about trying to cram everything into something the size of a pack of cigs

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/707325-calyos-nsg-passive-cooling-kit/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Boiled Water posted:

It's almost as if he's producing entertainment and not cold scholarly computer knowledge.
Whoa. Easy there. Fun isn't allowed in computerland.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its almost like hes doing it on purpose...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He just always comes off like a sophomore competing on his high school forensics team.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Sorry for the derail, but I love this stuff. Are you saying that they don't bother cooling any more than is absolutely necessary? To the point that a human being could suffer heatstroke or something while in the racks? lmao that's crazy

It's not usually hot enough to cause heatstroke for the time someone would actually be in the room, but it'll get up pretty hot at times, easily like 100F.

The basic reasoning is that since the server vendors will now agree to warranty their equipment to run constantly at the higher temperatures, why should you try to force temps down to the 60s-70s F range anymore? You spend a ton less on power, which is good for saving money and great for the environment in general. If I remember right, Google was one of the pioneers of the practice and then the influence of their testing convinced the manufacturers to allow it.

In many places, this practice results in near 0 use of air conditioning equipment over large stretches of the winter and even spring and fall, since natural cooling to the environment happens quick enough if you set like 100F or 110F as the point where the AC has to come on.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Which lead to interesting shenanigans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgaq6OYLX8

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty sure they don't. I think Linus used to work for Canadian version of Newegg.

And he was doing pretty much the same thing, hosting NCIX Tech Tips. I watch quite a bit of their videos, but you shouldn't do it if you want to extract useful information. The reason to watch them is top see them do something silly and ridiculous that you don't usually see. Sometimes they also have interesting ideas, like the HTC Vive extension cord, you just need to wait for someone to execute them better.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

thebigcow posted:

Which lead to interesting shenanigans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgaq6OYLX8

That was an extremely enjoyable video.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The AMD crowd here is fine (we largely don't even have fanclubs in the sense that other places do), but the AMD fanbois on Reddit are just insanely defensive and irrational about anyone they perceive as attacking "their" company. They've all started buying up AMD stock to "show their support", it's insane.

I think I'm pretty safe in saying there's probably very few people here who don't want AMD to make good CPU's and GPU's again. I'm glad we don't have the toxic fanboy shitholers here.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thebigcow posted:

This was worth my time.

Thank you for posting this, everyone else should consider watching. That's some hilarious and frightening stuff.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I think I'm pretty safe in saying there's probably very few people here who don't want AMD to make good CPU's and GPU's again. I'm glad we don't have the toxic fanboy shitholers here.
I'm not quite sure fishmech counts as "people"

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Awwww yeah!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Z270 boards on available on eBay.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

thebigcow posted:

I'll nTh watching this talk.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
It's basically a really good use case for having ECC be standard on everything everywhere. The marginal increase in cost can offset a lot of edge case wonky behavior like this.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's basically a really good use case for having ECC be standard on everything everywhere. The marginal increase in cost can offset a lot of edge case wonky behavior like this.
everybody's using ECC now because of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row_hammer if not any of the other million reasons

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Professor Science posted:

everybody's using ECC now because of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Row_hammer if not any of the other million reasons

I'm not sure who your definition of "everybody" includes, but it certainly isn't desktops, laptops, or mobile basically anything (phones, tablets, etc).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrDork posted:

I'm not sure who your definition of "everybody" includes, but it certainly isn't desktops, laptops, or mobile basically anything (phones, tablets, etc).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Let's also pretend software error detection/correction never existed and those extra ECC bits in the RAM will also be given away for free.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

DrDork posted:

of course, I was talking about servers. this is a pretty good summary of ECC at large supercomputer sites, a topic I know a whole lot about : http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/how-to-kill-a-supercomputer-dirty-power-cosmic-rays-and-bad-solder

the same results he mentions at the end are why you don't see ECC in desktop/mobile yet--you just don't see that many failures right now due to the kinds of things that ECC would prevent.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Why do I read comments?

quote:

3. Once a system architecture is completely fault-tolerant there is NO LIMIT to system size, so you can step-and-repeat many large processors on a wafer and reasonably expect them ALL to work - regardless of the thousands of bad transistors sprinkled throughout them. Hence, by simply connecting the adjacent pads of adjacent processors on a wafer, you can cheaply manufacture entire modern supercomputers-on-wafers - for a few thousand dollars each.

Hmmm sounds pretty easy

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Professor Science posted:

the same results he mentions at the end are why you don't see ECC in desktop/mobile yet--you just don't see that many failures right now due to the kinds of things that ECC would prevent.

I guess what's implied is that any specific user doesn't see many failures, but if radiation-related memory bit flips are really that common you're making an argument for using ECC in more places for sure.

If it was supported on Intel's consumer platforms, would we be recommending people spend the 20% more on RAM to have ECC?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Depends on if the platform were still flexible enough to take non-ECC RAM (if not, it's all just RAM now), and if the economies of scale wouldn't pull the price closer in line to what non-ECC RAM costs.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Depends on if the platform were still flexible enough to take non-ECC RAM (if not, it's all just RAM now), and if the economies of scale wouldn't pull the price closer in line to what non-ECC RAM costs.

I don't have a good estimate of how large the laptop/desktop vs server markets are, but I'd expect that the trend is certainly towards more server RAM being consumed and less laptop/desktop, given that the future seems to hold ARM-based mobile clients and IOT devices talking to ever-growing datacenters.

I wouldn't be surprised if right now similar volumes of ECC and non-ECC memory are sold.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DrDork posted:

I'd love to have ECC in my machine. Certainly starting to become worthwhile at the memory sizes we're starting to deal with. But Intel doesn't want me to, at least not when I want to overclock, too.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want ECC too right now, though more for an upgrade to my NAS than anything else

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have that in my NAS from the get-go. Kind of pointless to have a fully checksummed on-disk format, when poo poo can get hosed up in memory waiting to be written to disk. That Youtube video earlier kind of wants me to harden up my desktop now too.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
One sore place for ECC RAM is for laptops. ECC SO-DIMMs are super obscure enough that I spent a week just trying to find a place that had one listed besides "call us for volume pricing" as its details. There's a couple mini ITX boards that would be great for home media / file server uses whose use of ECC SO-DIMMs is both great and terrible. Add in the market for folks that'd like 32 GB of RAM in their laptops (read: doofuses like me that run a bunch of Docker containers and VMs to test and develop modern horsecrap software) and it's really strange why the industry's been silent on this area.

Twerk from Home posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if right now similar volumes of ECC and non-ECC memory are sold.
Not sure how it works for SOCs like for a lot of mobile devices but the number of mobile devices shipped may tilt it in favor of non-ECC. If we go on a capacity basis rather than units shipped basis there's almost no question ECC memory would win due to the sheer amount of memory caches alone used to serve consumer websites, then adding in high availability architectures with n levels of redundancy makes it more clear. While the engineers that developed said websites use some capacity as well

Also, another interesting part of the equation is that Intel CEO Brian Krzanich said a couple years ago that for each mobile device sold Intel is selling several more CPUs to support the services that phone consumes. It's kind of sobering how inefficient the software produced by the software industry is when each user's impact upon a backend is that massive.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have that in my NAS from the get-go. Kind of pointless to have a fully checksummed on-disk format, when poo poo can get hosed up in memory waiting to be written to disk. That Youtube video earlier kind of wants me to harden up my desktop now too.

My NAS is my old e6750 system I used before this 2600k machine.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
First proper review I've seen (German) https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/intel-kaby-lake-test-core-i7-7700k-i5-7600k/

7700k is pushed to the limit, no undervolting possible and you need a beefy air cooler to keep it from temp throttling at stock.
You'll need to delid to get any significant OC results. Intels thermal paste still sucks. 7600k has a little more room to uv or oc unsurprisingly.
AVX microcode bug that requires a BIOS update to fix, spikes power draw. Also Z270 introducing AVX offset BIOS option (apparently that's already a thing serverland) that limits clocks when AVX is used.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So Kaby Lake has zero IPC gains. Not surprised at all. AMD, please be good this time!

E: reviews were posted some time ago already

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7-7700K_vs_6700K_Game_Performance/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10968/the-intel-core-i7-7700k-91w-review-the-new-stock-performance-champion

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10959/intel-launches-7th-generation-kaby-lake-i7-7700k-i5-7600k-i3-7350k

Anandtech's article is up, although their quality has gone way down since Anand left.

They also found the 7600K to run cooler and have more OC headroom than the 7700K. i3-K looks like a badass part. Overall there's not much here for people over Skylake, but a smidge more clocks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I3 K is also dual core and has terrible pricing. For same price you can buy a faster cpu used, with more cores, or if you want new, a quadcore for not much more..

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

necrobobsledder posted:

One sore place for ECC RAM is for laptops. ECC SO-DIMMs are super obscure enough that I spent a week just trying to find a place that had one listed besides "call us for volume pricing" as its details. There's a couple mini ITX boards that would be great for home media / file server uses whose use of ECC SO-DIMMs is both great and terrible. Add in the market for folks that'd like 32 GB of RAM in their laptops (read: doofuses like me that run a bunch of Docker containers and VMs to test and develop modern horsecrap software) and it's really strange why the industry's been silent on this area.

ECC has been an option in laptops since what, late 2015?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

New NUCs up on Intel's product page:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/products-overview.html

If pricing stays as rock bottom on the Celeron based NUCs as previous generations, the J3455-based one should be a great value HTPC with 4K-capable decoding and output hardware.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ihmemies posted:

I3 K is also dual core and has terrible pricing. For same price you can buy a faster cpu used, with more cores, or if you want new, a quadcore for not much more..

Besides like the 7700K, how much OC can you realistically get for a K-chip that is already at base 4.2GHz....maybe 10%?

I would rather see a AMD branded i5-K Haswell at <$150 but I'm not holding my breath for that either.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 3, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Anand's sample was reportedly middling and their non-AVX OC topped out at 4.9ghz before voltage and heat got to be too much for their cooling. So like 14% ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
JayzTwoCents must have gotten a golden sample, he's got his 7700k running stable at 5GHz using an old H100i for cooling.