Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Would anyone recommend Postcards From the Edge?

I enjoy non-fiction about the entertainment industry but don't read a lot of personal memoirs.

I never read that, but I did listen to the audiobook of Wishful Drinking that she narrates, and I enjoyed it.

Milky Moor posted:

The fact that he got a heroic death after being a horrible human being (figuratively speaking) for like two decades of published stuff was the worst.

I guess I'm in the minority since I never thought that Borsk's death was heroic. He had devoted his entire life to clawing his way to the height of power in the New Republic and then when the Vong trashed everything, and all the other Republic people blamed him, he knew his life's goal was destroyed, and he did the only thing left that could give him some kind of posthumous rehabilitation.

SirPhoebos posted:

I got the Rogue One Visual Guide for Hannukah. There are interesting tidbits, but also some stuff that's bizarrely missing (like no Tarkin page, wtf?)

The Bor Gullet tentacle monster from Jedha also isn't mentioned at all, as far as I know. It sticks out considering the other visual guides cover every single tiny minor thing from their movies. I wonder if it's a product of the movie rewriting/reshoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They probably show up in the dictionary. Why they need a guide and a dictionary I don't know other than sell 2 books.

This Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds thing is the loving worst. It just doesn't get much more horrible than that. I didn't really have any interest in reading her non-fiction, but now I do now that she's gone. :(

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Chairman Capone posted:

The Bor Gullet tentacle monster from Jedha also isn't mentioned at all, as far as I know. It sticks out considering the other visual guides cover every single tiny minor thing from their movies. I wonder if it's a product of the movie rewriting/reshoots.

It's in the art book, which seems to only cover pre-reshoot material. The visual guide does feature pictures for scenes from both pre and post-reshoots. You can mainly tell because it features Jedha set pictures of Saw both bald and how he is in the movie.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

So it's exactly like the movie.

Yep. I liked the movie and it had a great battle scene at the end, but it has problems, no doubt. Novelization kind of really hammers in that it's a script issue almost certainly exacerbated by the reshoots and heavy editing.

I'll give it a few weeks and start on the novelization again, just to try to give a fair shake.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I looked at the Rogue One visual guide, and holy poo poo, the stuff that Dr. Everzan and Ponda Baba were up to on Jedha are disturbing as gently caress. Jesus H. Christ, the Decraniated are the stuff of loving nightmares. :stare: I kinda hope those things don't show up again. Death sentence in 12 systems is right.

That said, what they have done with Darth Vader in the new canon is the good kind of nightmare. He's a goddamn unstoppable monster as he should be. Between Rogue One, the comics and Rebels, Vader has officially become badass again.

People always used to say that Vader losing his limbs made him much weaker. In the new canon, it's actually the opposite - he's kind of like the Hulk in that the angrier he gets, the stronger he gets, and he is in constant pain. He lives in a giant evil castle built on the site of where he was horribly maimed, that so happens to be on a planet that resembles Hell itself. Vader is a lunatic. This is coupled with the fact that he hates himself above all else and doesn't really care if he lives or dies makes him extremely dangerous. He has taken down entire armies by himself and a group of high-tech assassins specifically designed just to kill him.

I... kind of want a movie that's just about Darth Vader killing people like a slasher villain. I mean, I've kind of wanted that for years, but I want it even more, now. Do an Order 66 movie where Vader hunts down and kills the remaining Jedi.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season finale of rebels. Have Ezra and kanan unwittingly lead Vader to a jedi convent and start a massacre. Too bad it will never happen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm disappointed with Vader in the end of last season of Rebels. Especially after the Rogue One ending, having him confront Our Heroes and none of them die is pretty cheap. Just don't set up those kind of situations where people with character shielding will confront him because that just diminishes him. The same with them not showing him killing Ahsoka. They 100% did that so it will be revealed later on that he let her live.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dave Filoni is a bad showrunner who has pet characters, next please.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I looked at the Rogue One visual guide, and holy poo poo, the stuff that Dr. Everzan and Ponda Baba were up to on Jedha are disturbing as gently caress. Jesus H. Christ, the Decraniated are the stuff of loving nightmares. :stare: I kinda hope those things don't show up again. Death sentence in 12 systems is right.

I was curious, so I looked this up.

Goddrat :stare:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know, right? Who wants to drink tea made out of Chavs?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It'd taste like stewed Reboks.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
A lipton teabag in a £2 bottle of vodka.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm disappointed with Vader in the end of last season of Rebels. Especially after the Rogue One ending, having him confront Our Heroes and none of them die is pretty cheap. Just don't set up those kind of situations where people with character shielding will confront him because that just diminishes him. The same with them not showing him killing Ahsoka. They 100% did that so it will be revealed later on that he let her live.

I really don't think so. I think they didn't 100% show her killed because this is still a kid's show, and that could be brutal. But Vader walked out of that temple, and Ashoka didn't. And they implied her Force Ghost walked deeper into the temple. She's dead. She was the price paid for having our "main characters" live through the confrontation.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was curious, so I looked this up.

Goddrat :stare:

I was hoping someone wouldn't post a picture. :stare: Thankfully, I don't remember seeing these things in the movie, so maybe they're one of the things disney deemed to be too dark and cut.

The idea of someone replacing a human brain with a computer just freaks me the gently caress out. See also: Battle Angel Alita.

Originally, the Death Troopers were going to be like this, too. As in, Gareth Edwards wanted them to have helmets too small for human heads, implying their brains had been removed. Ultimately I guess they used this idea for Dr. Evazan's experiments instead, because it's pretty stupid to put fanatical soldiers through extreme training only to scoop out their brains. Especially when you consider that they don't use battle droids anymore, because battle droids suck and actual people with minds of their own are far more effective soldiers. Now, you could always replace part of their brain like Lobot, but if you get rid of the whole thing, then you just have a battle droid made of meat, which is the worst of both worlds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SeanBeansShako posted:

It'd taste like stewed Reboks.

White Lightning strained through the exhaust system of a Vauxhall Nova.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I really don't think so. I think they didn't 100% show her killed because this is still a kid's show, and that could be brutal. But Vader walked out of that temple, and Ashoka didn't. And they implied her Force Ghost walked deeper into the temple. She's dead. She was the price paid for having our "main characters" live through the confrontation.
After watching the Clone Wars, it's really odd how not even the Inquisitors get on-screen deaths. poo poo, Rebels can't even show two adults kissing.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Siivola posted:

After watching the Clone Wars, it's really odd how not even the Inquisitors get on-screen deaths. poo poo, Rebels can't even show two adults kissing.

I'm watching through Clone Wars right now, and the show is really, really good. I'm at Season 4 right now and I'm in the Obi-Wan as a Bounty Hunter arc. Clone Wars is kind of proof that the prequels were a good idea but just executed really poorly. It's pretty nuts that characters like Anakin and Padme are tolerable and even likeable in this show. I've started to really like Ahsoka, too. (I always loved Obi-Wan, because he was one of the few good things about the prequels.) It's a drat shame they decided to premier the series with that God awful movie with Jabba's son, because I wrote this show off for the longest time.

One thing that's really striking about Rebels is how much lower budget it is. A lot of times they'll reuse locations and won't show characters' faces because that would require making a whole new model.

Although maybe that's not because Rebels is particularly low budget or anything, it's more that Clone Wars is kind of an insane show. Individual episodes of Clone Wars are extremely cinematic and are more like movies than they are episodes of a TV show. The cinematography in Clone Wars is film quality and new characters, ships, creatures and planets pop up in almost every episode of the Clone Wars. To be fair, half of the characters seen on the show are droids and clones all with the same face, so you don't exactly need to make new characters models for them, but still.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I kinda want to cut Rebels some slack because Clone Wars wasn't that much more ambitious in its first fifteen episodes. In fact, I watched a few episodes of CW's first season again for nostalgia's sake, and the early ones in particular look loving dire compared to the later ones. Asset-wise a whole lot of the early show is set in spaceships.

I mean it certainly picks up and gets really ambitious later on (and hell, even some of the first season episodes are shot super well) but honestly, Rebels shaped up a lot for its second season as well.

All I wanted for Christmas was Rebels' third season on Netflix. :sigh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like I always say, a lot of the Rebels characters look like they're made of Lego.

Especially Ezra.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Siivola posted:

I kinda want to cut Rebels some slack because Clone Wars wasn't that much more ambitious in its first fifteen episodes. In fact, I watched a few episodes of CW's first season again for nostalgia's sake, and the early ones in particular look loving dire compared to the later ones. Asset-wise a whole lot of the early show is set in spaceships.

I mean it certainly picks up and gets really ambitious later on (and hell, even some of the first season episodes are shot super well) but honestly, Rebels shaped up a lot for its second season as well.

All I wanted for Christmas was Rebels' third season on Netflix. :sigh:

Yeah to be fair, the 1st season of Clone Wars was pretty bad. I've kind of blotted it out of my memory. I watched seasons 1 & 2 around when Episode 7 came out, then lost interest, now I've been watching 3 & 4 a year later or so. What I'm saying is I guess right now I'm kind of watching it at the height of its run right now.

I'm also cutting Rebels some slack because like I said before, Clone Wars was loving nuts and is almost kind of unprecedented as far as 3D animated shows go. I mean, it's a little unfair to compare things like ReBoot and Beast Wars to Clone Wars as they're like 20 years old, but even modern 3D shows like Transformers: Prime can't really compare to it.

Rebels being kind of toned down after Clone Wars is really pretty reasonable, especially given that Star Wars was kind of on the downturn until TFA came out. Now that TFA and R1 are hits, I'm sure Rebels will probably have some more capital funneled into it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Siivola posted:

True, but the first season of CW has the excuse of technology being half a decade less advanced than Rebel's first season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anything come of that rumour about this season of Rebels being its last? I remember around the time Ahsoka was written out, there was a fair bit of talk about how it would probably wind down since Rogue One (and the original trilogy) probably wouldn't fit with the Rebellion having two or three Jedi in their ranks already before Luke showed up (including one who is explicitly the same age as Luke).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am one if the people who really likes season one of clone wars. It actually has some interesting stories, for example. The writing got much weaker after Henry Gilroy left as lead writer.
And I will not forgive Filoni for how badly they mishandled Barriss in the Ahsoka framed for treason arc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Wheat Loaf posted:

White Lightning strained through the exhaust system of a Vauxhall Nova.

Snoke fahkin luvs his chav tea mate

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anything come of that rumour about this season of Rebels being its last? I remember around the time Ahsoka was written out, there was a fair bit of talk about how it would probably wind down since Rogue One (and the original trilogy) probably wouldn't fit with the Rebellion having two or three Jedi in their ranks already before Luke showed up (including one who is explicitly the same age as Luke).

Still unclear. Filoni got a promotion which seems to point to him being the new head of all their animated properties, which means something else may be ramping up production. Rebels seems like it has at least one more season being worked on. From what I understand, it typically takes about 20 months for an episode to finally hit the airwaves.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, now that Thrawn is in Rebels, it makes me wonder what they're going to do with him later. Well, there's 30 years between ROTJ and TFA. I was thinking that it would be cool if they made some animated movies kinda like how DC does, and maybe they could do something loosely based on the old Thrawn books but updated to fit in the new continuity. I remember when Shadows of the Empire came out, I knew they couldn't make a movie because the actors had aged, but thought it would be cool if they did a cartoon.

Basically, what I'm saying is it would be awesome if they could make animated remakes of the Thrawn books, Shadows of the Empire and the X-Wing books. Have some of the same elements like Grand Admiral Thrawn leading an ex-Imperial faction against the new Republic, but change a few things up. Maybe have it so Thrawn goes to Kamino for clones instead of having a clone Luuke with two 'u's. Maybe Mara Jade was one of the Inquisitors seen in Rebels. Maybe Thrawn gets involved with Snoke instead of Jorrus C'Boath. I dunno.

For all I know, they could be planning to do something like this, because introducing Thrawn in season 3 of Rebels and killing him off at the end would be a massive waste. Maybe in episode VIII, there could be a throwaway line about a conflict against Grand Admiral Thrawn or something, kinda like how the Clone Wars started out as a throwaway line.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Clone Wars definitely had some good moments in it. One scene in particular jumped out at me as a great character moment. The episode was about Obi-wan and this Manalorian queen he has a major crush on. Towards the end, the villain was holding a detonator and mocking the two of them, saying they either had to watch him use the detonator or sacrifice their principles and kill him. Sort of a Joker and Batman situation. Right as he asks "Which of you is willing to become a murderer?"; Anakin, who had missed his whole spiel, just pops into the room behind him and stabs him through the chest as a few notes of the Imperial March are layered into the music.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Canemacar posted:

Clone Wars definitely had some good moments in it. One scene in particular jumped out at me as a great character moment. The episode was about Obi-wan and this Manalorian queen he has a major crush on. Towards the end, the villain was holding a detonator and mocking the two of them, saying they either had to watch him use the detonator or sacrifice their principles and kill him. Sort of a Joker and Batman situation. Right as he asks "Which of you is willing to become a murderer?"; Anakin, who had missed his whole spiel, just pops into the room behind him and stabs him through the chest as a few notes of the Imperial March are layered into the music.

Here it is for those who've never seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvamRJvAB2U

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Canemacar posted:

Yeah. That was the point I realized I loved the show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dave Syndrome posted:

I just realized that her name is a Moulin Rouge reference.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I... kind of want a movie that's just about Darth Vader killing people like a slasher villain. I mean, I've kind of wanted that for years, but I want it even more, now. Do an Order 66 movie where Vader hunts down and kills the remaining Jedi.

I suggested something like that after seeing Rogue 1. The trick would be to do it as old school slasher movie where Vader is just this eerie presence that shows up to slaughter people occasionally, don't focus on him.

Sheevday the 13th: Rebel Camp Kyber Lake.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

TTFIS - Thank The Force It's Sheevday

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

I suggested something like that after seeing Rogue 1. The trick would be to do it as old school slasher movie where Vader is just this eerie presence that shows up to slaughter people occasionally, don't focus on him.

Sheevday the 13th: Rebel Camp Kyber Lake.

I basically want Darth Vader to be like Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men. Now granted, it's been a long time since I've seen that movie, but I don't remember there being much gore in that movie if there was any at all. But that guy will always stand out in my head as one of the most terrifying and unsettling villains in film. That scene at the end where he's with the protagonist's wife just gives me the heebie jeebies.

I think it's because he's an unstoppable force of evil, like death itself coming closer and closer and you are utterly helpless to do anything about it. It's a kind of primal terror and hopelessness, like a predator hunting prey.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I basically want Darth Vader to be like Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men. Now granted, it's been a long time since I've seen that movie, but I don't remember there being much gore in that movie if there was any at all. But that guy will always stand out in my head as one of the most terrifying and unsettling villains in film. That scene at the end where he's with the protagonist's wife just gives me the heebie jeebies.

I think it's because he's an unstoppable force of evil, like death itself coming closer and closer and you are utterly helpless to do anything about it. It's a kind of primal terror and hopelessness, like a predator hunting prey.

There's lots of blood, but not a lot of horror movie-style gore.

I was going more for tone, not the explosive gore of a Jason movie. More along the lines of "follow this team of characters as they are picked off by murder machine" that is the staple of those kinds of flicks.

Chigurh as Vader is a good touchstone.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

There's lots of blood, but not a lot of horror movie-style gore.

I was going more for tone, not the explosive gore of a Jason movie. More along the lines of "follow this team of characters as they are picked off by murder machine" that is the staple of those kinds of flicks.

Chigurh as Vader is a good touchstone.

I think the first Halloween movie is a good example for what I'm looking for, because most people don't realize there is basically no gore at all in the original movie. It's all about suspense.

Alternatively, give me this, but with Vader instead of Grevious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Alternatively, give me this, but with Vader instead of Grevious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

I was so disappointed that Grievous was nowhere near as cool as this in ROTS.

I'm not sure if Grievous was a mistake or not. He comes out of a nowhere a bit in Episode III if you hadn't seen any of the tie-in stuff. But that's a broader issue with the prequels; that there's no single Darth Vader figure who's a villain in all three movies. I know each of the main henchmen in each prequel (Maul, Dooku and Grievous) are supposed to reflect some component of Vader, but I think it was a mistake not to have one guy throughout the trilogy.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dave Syndrome posted:

:what: That's supposed to be a good moment? It's more like a bad game of D&D where an rear end in a top hat DM tries to make the Paladin fall "Suddenly you find baby goblins. They register as Evil to your Paladin abilities, but they're only babies. WHAT DO YOU DO?!? :smug:"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Woody Harrelson is supposedly up for the role of "Han's mentor" in The Young Han Solo Chronicles.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

:what: That's supposed to be a good moment? It's more like a bad game of D&D where an rear end in a top hat DM tries to make the Paladin fall "Suddenly you find baby goblins. They register as Evil to your Paladin abilities, but they're only babies. WHAT DO YOU DO?!? :smug:"

Eh. This is Star Wars where even the metaphysical forces that govern the universe exist in a binary state of good/evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Woody Harrelson is supposedly up for the role of "Han's mentor" in The Young Han Solo Chronicles.

Now that I can get behind. Woody Harrelson should be everyone's drunk and more than slightly shady mentor.