Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why do crashed ship parts give so little steel and so many components?

At least I have turrets out the wazoo because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Elth posted:

I assume having your caravan/raiding party loaded in a pirate base doesn't come with the same issues that having two colonies does. I wonder if a similar kind of map tile could work for establishing a semi-permanent camp to act as a bridge for your caravans.

I've tried this, the game crashes every time I try to build pods in a pirate base. Can anyone else confirm?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

yoloer420 posted:

I've tried this, the game crashes every time I try to build pods in a pirate base. Can anyone else confirm?

According to reddit, the second your last colonist enters a pod to pop out, the map deletes itself.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Slumpy posted:

Going back to the idea of escaping to the offered ship across the map, couldn't you just load a few colonists and a muffallo on some drop pods with enough supplies to make another drop pod set up on landing and then do another drop, effectively speed running the process?
That'd circumvent the need to keep making bases and nomad it out, obviously nomading is the more fun option but it does answer the "don't I need to make multiple bases" question

Yes, and yes.

And from my current game in A16, that strategy is ridiculously cheaper than building a complete ship for all meaningful number of colonists.

Use your first base to open all tech, build a 6-10 launch group for fivish colonists with enough supplies for ground-penetrating scanner and a couple of thermal generators, and with 4-5 hops you will reach the ship.

Also, use the first base to kit out the "jumpers" with bionic parts and best equipment.

Edit: Since the "map difficulty" resets every time you move your base, the five supercolonists will rip out enough resources to jump every two seasons. Select the last jump base so that you will have a growing period in tundra, and jump in a couple of days before it begins, since meaningful amount of food and steel are the most heavy poo poo to throw around. Some number of steel can be instamined on the second to last jump, but food generation becomes increasingly scarce.

^^^^ and because of that bug, you might need to recruit one rear end in a top hat to maintain the jump base before leaving them behind. On my case I have hit a worthless wanderer or left something behind to throw around a second wave of poo poo.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 2, 2017

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Actually the ancient danger sites are preferred for jump bases, since your supercolonists with high-tech poo poo will tear through most poo poo those places can throw at you. And it provides a wealth of resources, some replace items and ready-built accommodation for your temporary base of operations.

At least it is much more interesting end-game than strip-mining your original basemap and spam-trading for the missing resources.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I bought this game as a present for myself this holiday. It's one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. My first game I had a random bunch of Yorkshire terriers just show up an self tame. Decided I didn't want to feed them so I slaughtered them all. Had enough to make 2 comfy chairs for the "fun area" of my Fortress colony.

The following season, everything caught fire in the middle of then night and everyone died. One colonist "survived" the fire because the fire was put out by a rainstorm. Unfortunately, she was downed, burned on every body part, and slowly becoming infected everywhere. I felt really morbid just watching the last colonist die because she lasted what seemed like days laying there infected ans suffering.

This is just the kind of "fun" I've always wanted but could never quite get from DF.

Colony two is going strong and a lot less flammable.

On a different note, are giant wildfires common in this game? In both of my colonies so far giant wildfires have consumed half or so of the map at one point or another.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 2, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Your fiery destruction is justly deserved for killing so many adorable Yorkies. :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Your fiery destruction is justly deserved for killing so many adorable Yorkies. :colbert:

Those Who Do Not Haul Will Be Made Into Clothing For Those Who Do

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

wilderthanmild posted:

I bought this game as a present for myself this holiday. It's one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. My first game I had a random bunch of Yorkshire terriers just show up an self tame. Decided I didn't want to feed them so I slaughtered them all. Had enough to make 2 comfy chairs for the "fun area" of my Fortress colony.

The following season, everything caught fire in the middle of then night and everyone died. One colonist "survived" the fire because the fire was put out by a rainstorm. Unfortunately, she was downed, burned on every body part, and slowly becoming infected everywhere. I felt really morbid just watching the last colonist die because she lasted what seemed like days laying there infected ans suffering.

This is just the kind of "fun" I've always wanted but could never quite get from DF.

Colony two is going strong and a lot less flammable.

On a different note, are giant wildfires common in this game? In both of my colonies so far giant wildfires have consumed half or so of the map at one point or another.

Lightning can start fires, boomalope/rats, various grenades and incendiary weapons can start fires. If you're in a map with lots of vegetation and it's not raining that fire will spread and your colonists will only try to put out what comes into their Home area so yes, quite common on certain maps. If you're in temperate woodlands expect infernos and plan accordingly.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Galaga Galaxian posted:

My colony just started cranking out yorkies after starting out with 2 of them.. So i started selling them to exotic merchants for 140 silver a piece.

Problem solved

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Why do crashed ship parts give so little steel and so many components?

At least I have turrets out the wazoo because of it.

They do drop a bunch of scrap that can be smelted into steel as well!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I just noticed something.

I feel that this may be the obvious escalation from bear defence. Load bears into drop pods while jacked up on luciferum, enemy has to fight omnicidal bears full of nanomachines.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I feel that this may be the obvious escalation from bear defence. Load bears into drop pods while jacked up on luciferum, enemy has to fight omnicidal bears full of nanomachines.

Have you considered a career as an author in the Metal Gear fiction?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

OwlFancier posted:

shardik is reborn

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

OwlFancier posted:

I love absolutely everything about this post and idea.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

I love absolutely everything about this post and idea.

Come on then pal, be the first to do it and post screenies.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I haven't tried it yet but I think trained animals may have a purpose in caravan defense. I'm training up a small herd of attack boomalopes.

You don't even have to train them. My migratory tribe built up a large herd (~45 total muffalo/dromedary/cows); when I got ambushed I'd make a 4-5 tile strip of allowed area and assign all of the animals to it. All of the colonists line up behind the animals. Against ranged enemies, they provide excellent cover, and the simultaneous attack of a dozen muffalo is pretty savage; the first pawn to reach them dies instantly. As long as I was careful to send the babies to a different zone, I didn't have any losses, since the damage gets spread across so many creatures with so much health.

Coolguye posted:

the inherent problem with animal defense is that colonists will do, you know, actual work the 95% of the time you're not under attack, while animals generally will not. grass-eating animals are the general solution to this so they at least won't eat you out of house and home but even they dance the razor's edge of starvation and thriving most times.

It's hard to keep enough grass growing to sustain a large herd. Predators have a huge advantage in having hunger rates about 1/3rd of what herbivores do, and they don't eat until their hunger bar is most of the way down, so they can easily be fed with simple meals (when you don't have enough raider corpses to sustain them).

Does spoilage even happen during travel? I'm not sure it does.

No spoilage for food in inventories. If your pawns drop it on the ground during ambushes, then it can spoil.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Tootling back through Tynan's twitter I found something interesting -- an app that shows dps with given weapons depending on shooter's talents, drugs, weapon quality, etc. Shooting skill above 10 or so seems like diminishing returns. I'd been really overrating "Careful Shooter", it's pretty much a waste and actively harmful with some weapons and at higher skill levels. In contrast, "trigger happy" makes minigun DPS insane.

https://cityofthesky.com/RimworldAccuracyCalculator.html

It seems like the only reason to use careful shooter is if your pawn is going to be a dedicated sniper rifle user who is blasting away at extremely long range.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
On the newbie front of guys who just installed this game, aren't using mods and are going full-on random with location, starting party, and storyteller:

I'm slowly, slowly getting a colony up and running and being long-term viable, or at least, with what the game has been throwing at me so far. I have enough food and power to expand aggressively and start doing stuff in the area.

I pretty much never get guys I can recruit, though. I've had some traders go by, that one drop pod guy that made me rage from a few pages back, and this psychopath that I put down because he was utterly useless and wanted to club all my dudes to death. I recruited one dude really early on, but I'm back down to three after my Korean Pop Idol went crazy from drug withdrawals and started punching her pet pig. She lost that fight.

I'm enjoying this game as largely a more easy-to-interface with Dwarf Fortress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Maarek posted:

It seems like the only reason to use careful shooter is if your pawn is going to be a dedicated sniper rifle user who is blasting away at extremely long range.

It's a great boost in the early game.

Those numbers in that calculator all changed though in a16, now that Sight got nerfed, so it's hard to know. My guess is that right now it's probably a boost with slow / high alpha weapons, snipers etc., until you have bionic eyes and higher skill.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 3, 2017

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Flesh Forge posted:

Or, y'know, tinker with config files a little bit :shrug:

There is also the fishing mod, and Tynan seems to have relaxed a bit and allowed water patches in ice sheet now (as little sense as that makes)

e: the min/optimal "glow" (light brightness) required for plants is defined in the binaries :mad:

code:
		public float growMinGlow = 0.5f;
		public float growOptimalGlow = 1f;
It looks like the sunlamp uses a special property called overlightRadius to make plants grow (from the base game's BuildingsFurniture.xml):
code:
      <li Class="CompProperties_Glower">
        <overlightRadius>7.0</overlightRadius>
        <glowRadius>14</glowRadius>
        <glowColor>(370,370,370,0)</glowColor>
      </li>
I guess you could mod in a glowing thing, whether a torch or a magic rock or whatever, and give it some amount of overlightRadius but it'd be a constant 100% as far as the plans are concerned. I don't see where else to mod this from :shrug:

The C# growMinGlow and growOptimalGlow values are just defaults. They can be overridden with <growMinGlow> and/or <growOptimalGlow> tags within the <plant> tag in a plant's ThingDef.

Increasing the maximum glow of non-overlit light sources would require detouring GlowGrid.GameGlowAt

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Oh poo poo, I didn't think those were exposed, that's great! So if you set up modded plants that override the crops in Plants_Cultivated_Farm.xml that should be all you have to do? And they'll grow at (e.g.) 40% light, just slower? Thanks for explaining that!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
It's a linear interpolation between the min and the max. So if you set the min to 40 and leave the max at 100, they'll grow at 17% speed. If you also set the max to 90, they'll grow at 20% speed, the same as they did in A15.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
My first successful sea ice hydroponics harvest!

edit: should've taken a screenshot where you can see the outdoor temperature. It's -141C.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jesus Christ, the things you must have to do to survive there

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
You need to be able to build structures out of ice and snow at this point, honestly.

e: and harvest building material out of large sea animals.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
This game must have started as something else because why the gently caress are there foxes, hares, timber wolves, rats, beavers, emu, turkey and rams exist on an alien world. Couldn't he come up with something completely different

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plek posted:

You need to be able to build structures out of ice and snow at this point, honestly.

Medieval Times adds ice as a building material, but it only sticks around if the outside temp is below freezing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This game must have started as something else because why the gently caress are there foxes, hares, timber wolves, rats, beavers, emu, turkey and rams exist on an alien world. Couldn't he come up with something completely different

Most of the flora and fauna is introduced, the world you're on isn't undiscovered, it's just that there is no coherent space government because there is no FTL drive, so every planet is completely cut off from every other, for the most part.

Your planet is basically postapocalyptic/was partially terraformed ages ago/is the space equivalent of the north pacific gyre. Which is why it's full of people but they range from colonies to tribes.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 3, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Plek posted:

The Medieval Times mod allows this, as long as the interior temperature stays below freezing it's fine for wall construction (not doors or worktables though)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 3, 2017

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Zhentar posted:

My first successful sea ice hydroponics harvest!

edit: should've taken a screenshot where you can see the outdoor temperature. It's -141C.

What exactly am I looking at? Why aren't there walls in certain areas?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sea ice biome has no stone or wood.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Certain objects count as walls and the diagonals corners aren't required, so (I assume) they were skipped to stretch a limited wood supply.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Holy poo poo what a vast bounty of construction material!

OwlFancier posted:

Medieval Times adds ice as a building material, but it only sticks around if the outside temp is below freezing.

Summer highs of -70C, don't have to worry about that. But a plentiful building material would take all the challenge out of it!

TipsyMcStagger posted:

This game must have started as something else

It started as a moon colony, with no atmosphere. The animals are a relatively recent addition.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Certain objects count as walls and the diagonals corners aren't required, so (I assume) they were skipped to stretch a limited wood supply.

Yup, exactly. Needed to keep as much wood on hand as possible in case a solar flare hit before I found both a wool parka and a wool tuque. Engie's bed is made out of silver because it was the least valuable building material on hand.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 3, 2017

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Free sniper rifle!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, starting a new colony is always the hardest part for me as I sit there staring at the map, trying to plan my colony out ahead of time and just utterly failing to do so.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zhentar posted:

Holy poo poo what a vast bounty of construction material!

Summer highs of -70C, don't have to worry about that. But a plentiful building material would take all the challenge out of it!

It started as a moon colony, with no atmosphere. The animals are a relatively recent addition.

Yup, exactly. Needed to keep as much wood on hand as possible in case a solar flare hit before I found both a wool parka and a wool tuque. Engie's bed is made out of silver because it was the least valuable building material on hand.

Even I don't hate my colonists quite this much

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

rimworld posted:

Cockroaches of combat

well I know what to name my group in every game ever now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

I made the goofiest cackle looking at this. This is a good plan and you should feel good.