Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
go on out steve cheer the boys on to a victory of 1.5 goals or more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

fat greasy puto posted:

go on out steve cheer the boys on to a victory of 1.5 goals or more

I'm family ing at the elephant and castle and then I'm ditching them heading into the GA riffraff with the missus and we gon get toe up

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

im going to go to the drive in instead

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Speaking of movies, I just used the toilet from trainspotting

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Going to plan I see for the Vuck.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ref is a fuckwit, that was not a handball

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
North terrace was baaaaaaack tonight cunts

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the reffing was a loving joke

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
JVS has resigned from city for family reasons (sick dad I think).

Sad reasons, but also the rest of the league is now hosed if city get someone competent in

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
I know a guy with tons of A League experience and also owns propriety in Melbourne.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It turns out I can stream this league for free on ESPN3, so I watched 6 matches on replay this weekend and am a Central Coast Mariners fan now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

camoseven posted:

It turns out I can stream this league for free on ESPN3, so I watched 6 matches on replay this weekend and am a Central Coast Mariners fan now.
as a jets fan i think i am obligated to call you something something coastie scum

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

camoseven posted:

Oh christ mate, although at least given their emphasis on youth you might have missed the very depths of their trough. I'm not sure what you know about the mariners, but a few years ago they were amazing and punching way above their weight by spending big and it paid off really well, then the new owners reoriented everything towards being sustainable and we all know what's good for business isn't necessarily best for on the pitch. They're an absolute factory of talent for a the national side though, and that is only going to increase now that they've got the centre of excellence up and running though I probably wouldn't get too attached to any young guns that show up.

Tldr: a good choice full of misery and woe, a proper footballing team selection.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

camoseven posted:

Wellington need fans fyi

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Wellington need fans fyi

Yeah this too, although that's arguably an even tougher ask. I really badly want the nux to be competitive and frankly I can't understand how they aren't. I can understand hem losing, but given the firepower they've got every game should end something spastic like 5-8.

Also, where are you new posters from? I need to know to help direct my shitposting more hurtfully if the vuck are losing

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

camoseven posted:

Welcome to the church of sauce bottles.

If you like an underdog then you have found the right team. Sadly the dog currently is missing two legs and has a nasty bout of fleas but this is only temporary in the scheme of things. In this league you can do the double one year, and finish last the next. God bless the salary cap.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

As if not come and support Sydney FC, clearly the best team ever and with the best uniforms, stadium and players of every team.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Reasonable teams to follow:

CCM
Newcastle
Wellington

Eh:

Brisbane
Adelaide
Perth

Literally never:

Melbourne City
Melbourne Victory
Sydney FC
Western Sydney Wanderers

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

lets go Brisbane Roar big game this week boys

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

bowmore posted:

as a jets fan i think i am obligated to call you something something coastie scum

More like Poocastle :smug:

Tongues posted:

Oh christ mate, although at least given their emphasis on youth you might have missed the very depths of their trough. I'm not sure what you know about the mariners, but a few years ago they were amazing and punching way above their weight by spending big and it paid off really well, then the new owners reoriented everything towards being sustainable and we all know what's good for business isn't necessarily best for on the pitch. They're an absolute factory of talent for a the national side though, and that is only going to increase now that they've got the centre of excellence up and running though I probably wouldn't get too attached to any young guns that show up.

Tldr: a good choice full of misery and woe, a proper footballing team selection.

The announcers actually talked quite a bit about the youth movement, and it's what drew me to the team. Apparently the owner wrote an open letter recently saying he wants them to be a home for exciting young players. If I'm gonna plastic for a team halfway around the world, it might as well be a team doing something fun!

Also: I hadn't looked at the table until this morning, but thank goodness this league followed the lead of the glorious MLS and doesn't have pro/rel.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

camoseven posted:

Also: I hadn't looked at the table until this morning, but thank goodness this league followed the lead of the glorious MLS and doesn't have pro/rel.

It comes up pretty often actually but the reality is it'll take a long time before the supporter base is there to sustain a pro/rel system

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It comes up pretty often actually but the reality is it'll take a long time before the supporter base is there to sustain a pro/rel system

My advice: don't say that on Twitter

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I was being serious! Pro/rel is exciting, but it's hard to make work in brand new leagues in countries like Australia and the US where there's not an existing soccer culture

E: and it's comforting to know that MLS isn't the only league with batshit insane pro/rel trolls on twitter

camoseven fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 4, 2017

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Yeah, the concerns are more logistic than cultural in Australia. The 'second tier' is just the different state leagues, and they're semi-professional. The step up/down is huge at the moment (just as an example, decidedly average A-League forward Blake Powell scored like over a goal a game when he was in the NSW league, and he's a relative success story), so setting up a national, professional second tier to bridge the gap realistically needs to happen before it can become a reality.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Arquebus posted:

Yeah, the concerns are more logistic than cultural in Australia. The 'second tier' is just the different state leagues, and they're semi-professional. The step up/down is huge at the moment (just as an example, decidedly average A-League forward Blake Powell scored like over a goal a game when he was in the NSW league, and he's a relative success story), so setting up a national, professional second tier to bridge the gap realistically needs to happen before it can become a reality.

The travel and accommodation bills are a real killer as well as the wages and staff required to make the jump and stay. This is off a base of low crowd figures, a lower division side just wont get the sponsorship money needed. And kiss goodbye any chance in getting any meaningful TV or online broadcast money for a second division - the interest just is not there. Aussie fans are as fickle as all poo poo so the demand for tv subscribers and a second division is between "gently caress all" and none.

The mariners back office runs at around one million a year and we are by far and away the lowest cost operation in the business - possibly of any major sporting team in the country. There is no way in gods green earth a second division side could cover that and hope to be competitive.

It aint ever going to happen with four professional codes of football plus cricket in a market of 24 million and limited sponsorship opportunities. P/R is a real pipe dream - the league will settle at around 16 teams in the next decade or two - some may be promoted (South Melbourne I reckon is a lock), but none will be relegated.

I'd say Sydney III (maybe Penny or Campbeltown based), South Melbourne followed by Brisbane II, Adelaide II and Perth II. Last spot may be Canberra / Gong / south coast - may just be south coast / Gong alone. Gold coast may get a team again if the broadcasters want that market, but more likely they'd be aligned with a second Brisbane side.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I would quite happily take all the extra TV money and use it to fully professionalise the npl in nsw and vic as a defacto 2nd division with qld, sa, and nnsw to follow in a few years. I also give a great hearty guffaw when I see clubs like the knights and hellas whingeing about the lack of support to the grassroots when they effectively own their own destiny and charge a billion dollars for each junior to paint the social club walls a different shade of blue

Motherfucker I remember spending an hour before each match and training covering walking around the pitch with a wheel barrow full of sand to fill in all the holes the loving rabbits made the night before, the shits

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
And also I agree with all the other words, P&R is a pipe dream unless Australia magically shits out new Melbourne sized cities. A j-league esque 3 tiers would be a loving perfect compromise if we had some way of getting enough money down the divisions. Maybe the FFA needs to just whore itself out to pokies a bit

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Tongues posted:

And also I agree with all the other words, P&R is a pipe dream unless Australia magically shits out new Melbourne sized cities. A j-league esque 3 tiers would be a loving perfect compromise if we had some way of getting enough money down the divisions. Maybe the FFA needs to just whore itself out to pokies a bit

Well the Mariners are going to build a club to replace the one they knocked down at Tuggerah for the COE - however pokie palaces are not exactly in short supply on the coast.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
LOL another Reddy special. Don't miss him.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Sweet Jehoshaphat there's a Thursday nighter?? And it's the FUCKEN DISTANCE DERBY

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Ugh we should be winning but no one knows how to shoot

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
How the gently caress is that a red? God these refs are poo poo.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Man the nix just get hosed in every hole by the refs

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Why'd I stay up for this poo poo?

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Correct me if im wrong but I'm pretty sure headbutting someone is a red card.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Robo Captain posted:

Correct me if im wrong but I'm pretty sure headbutting someone is a red card.

remember what league you're watching

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
We have some Friday night A-League action tonight (which is the afternoon or early evening for you guys if I get my time zones right) on ESPN 3 with Western Sydney Wanderers FC vs Melbourne FC 3:50am EST/2:50am CST/and 12:50am PST.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

We have some Friday night A-League action tonight (which is the afternoon or early evening for you guys if I get my time zones right) on ESPN 3 Western Sydney Wanderers FC vs Melbourne FC 3:50am EST/2:50am CST/and 12:50am PST.

You are bang on, it's Friday night here and hot as the devils arsehole. It's actually a Melbourne City home game at aami park tonight so there is a good chance there will be more away fans than home fans as well.

And me, for the first time I can remember, I will be watching as sober as a judge and frankly it's a whole new world. I have no idea what to expect

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
That is a dirty, filthy, catfish mustache hanging out schoolyard esque goal from franjic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
Wanderers defence in drill last night

• Locked thread