Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yes, the second book is generally considered the weakest part of the series. I'd definitely say check out the third and see if it hooks you again.

It'll depend on what, exactly, you liked about the first book and what you didn't like about the second. It's never going to stop being an off-brand retelling of the French Revolution with magic and demons, and it's never going to go back to being as much of a military procedural as it was during the original (I figure Wexler thinks he's drawn as much from that well as there was to draw).

The main problem I had with book 2 was pacing. There were just far too many plotlines running in parallel, and far too little time spread too thinly between them. That is not a problem that recurs.

I'm pretty sure I've read all the released books in this series and the only big problem I've had with it is the Napoleon analogue character and how Wexler teases from the beginning whether the dude has sinister motivations or an evil masterplan, and just dragged his feet on giving answers or clearly developing that aspect of the story way too long for me, and then to top my annoyance off, the character's captured and has some type of mind control spell, or some poo poo like that, put on him at the very end of the latest volume. Maybe I'm remembering the exact details of the ending wrong, but I do remember it feeling hamfisted and like a cop out to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Going back to this for the second. You can real books as cheap as ebooks now??? :stare:

Oh dear no, but sometimes you can't get ebooks for less than physical copies.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Joining the "Sabetha is a lovely character" crew

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chairchucker posted:

A friend of mine arranges her books by colour but it's mostly because that's how she most easily mentally associates them and so can easily find them. vOv
This totally works if your entire library is nothing but reference manuals in series, and full copies of collected editions of etc etc

Going back to this for the second. You can real books as cheap as ebooks now??? :stare:

I don't think that's going to beat the sheer convenience of going from "I want to buy a book" to reading in less than a minute for me, but if somewhere's selling books for £2~£3 apiece I want to know about it.
Sprint term I got a required reading book in ebook form, for like 1/4 of the price of the print version.

Of course there were NO loving PAGE NUMBERS AT ALL so I had to go to the library with the instructor's reading list and then look up and write down the "location" number for each and every page or two for every week of the class, but I did save money!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

I don't think that's going to beat the sheer convenience of going from "I want to buy a book" to reading in less than a minute for me, but if somewhere's selling books for £2~£3 apiece I want to know about it.

Wordery, Amazon Marketplace, eBay and Book Depository can all help you out there. The bulk of a lot of the cost is usually the P&P depending on what you buy.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

holocaust bloopers posted:

Joining the "Sabetha is a lovely character" crew

No reason to start having correct opinions this late in life.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

Ebooks are subject to tax in the UK. Print books are not. Hence, paperbacks are often cheaper, especially for new releases.

The fact that an ebook copy has a seperate ISBN from a paperback or hardback copy (which themselves have unique ISBNs) and is therefore a distinct product as far as pricing is concerned is not used to account for this in your favour. Instead they bank on you enjoying the convenience enough to pay an extra £1-2 or whatever.

It's still changing a bunch, though. Recently I've noticed a trend towards the resurgence of the omnibus in ebook form - collections of novels and novellas from a dozen different authors on a similar theme, which are sold for a couple of quid - and a bunch of closures on the marketplace where even inflated P&P wasn't enough to keep places in business any longer.

Paper books rest much easier on the face if you've got trouble sleeping, but I just don't have the space for them any longer. Hooray for the smallest average house sizes in europe.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

As an example keeping with some recent discussion going on here, The Republic of Thieves is 8.99 on Kindle and 8.09 in paperback. I was more referring to Bestsellers, though, which tend to stay fairly expensive (as far as ebooks go).

It's easy to overlook how jacked up eBook prices are if you avoid bestsellers (or only buy them during sales), but that's still where the big publishers make a fair amount of their money.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I buy my physical books by the linear foot

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

andrew smash posted:

Physical books are much easier to flip through quickly, annotate, etc.
Ebooks are so much easier to search though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There's nothing wrong with arranging books to look pretty, especially if you do most of your reading with ebooks and only buy hardcopies if they're something you really want to own, or because they were cheap secondhand books, or you were stuck waiting for a train and your phone's battery was too low to get a few hours of reading done.

There is also nothing wrong with owning eighteen full sets of Proust and leaving them scattered around the place with dog-ears and bookmarks, as long as you're doing it ironically enough.

SMDH if you have enough shelf space to organize instead of stuffing books in anywhere it looks like they might fit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fritz posted:

SMDH if you have enough shelf space to organize instead of stuffing books in anywhere it looks like they might fit.

That was me until I moved into my house. With a total north of 3500 books (25% hardcover or reference).

NEVER AGAIN.

The vast majority were donated to libraries around the area (paperbacks usually are taken for their book sales) or other charities that took them. Many of them have been repurchased as ebooks, which is now my go to format.

gently caress packing boxes and then having to move those boxes. gently caress it right in the rear end.

On the minus side, I have a real nice set of oak bookshelves my dad made for me that were about 14 feet wide going unused. Fortunately, he made them modular and easy to take apart, so they're living in my storage space right now. Ready for the day I lose my mind and start buying predominantly physical books again.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 3, 2017

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LOL if you buy your own books, the government will buy them for you and store them in multiple aesthetically pleasing building and then transport them to the facility of your choice on demand.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You know one of my biggest pet peeves in sf/f novels? Protagonists with loving eidetic/perfect memories. I've noticed it coming up a lot lately and wonder if it's a symptom of the authors' fantasies, or maybe just a shovel-load of :spergin: ?

fritz posted:

I always saw it as "well I don't know how to decorate but I had these book shelves.. What should I fill them with?"

Most normal people might just toss out the shelves and like, put up a painting, or maybe a little table with some knick-knacks, or maybe a lamp or something. But people who really want to feel like they're literate end up buying "by the foot" books with titles which probably strike them the same way I shoveled through the dump-bin behind the bookstore I used to work at when I was 19.. I'd just grab a box, and then throw anything that looked vaguely interesting or which sounded smart - and hope that the mall security guys didn't come by before I was finished.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Some bookstore opened up in my hometown a while back (2nd and Charles) that buys used books and sells them for actual reasonable prices. I picked up a copy of Hyperion for $2.30 or so the other day. They also sell new stuff. The place was pretty cool, it was like the GameStop style of store without the rip-offs or pushy salespeople. Not sure how much they give when you sell books back to them though. Apparently it's a chain, but I haven't heard of it before. Probably the only way physical stores can compete with Amazon and ebooks now.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

coyo7e posted:

Of course there were NO loving PAGE NUMBERS AT ALL so I had to go to the library with the instructor's reading list and then look up and write down the "location" number for each and every page or two for every week of the class, but I did save money!

The fact that some eBooks only have locations and no page numbers is the most irritating part of reading eBooks. I'm currently reading a nonfiction eBook with an index that refers to page numbers it doesn't loving have.

I still prefer them over physical books because of storage reasons and ease of highlighting and bookmarking, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

2nd and Charles is pretty great. I've found some real gems, both from a reader standpoint and as a collector.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Solitair posted:

The fact that some eBooks only have locations and no page numbers is the most irritating part of reading eBooks. I'm currently reading a nonfiction eBook with an index that refers to page numbers it doesn't loving have.

I still prefer them over physical books because of storage reasons and ease of highlighting and bookmarking, though.
Yeah I agree, I totally would rather own a cheap copy I can access on: my laptop, my PC, my tablet, my phone, my kindle, as well as someone else's device if I log in with my amazon info..

But having no page numbers is absolute bullshit in ebooks and someone needs to get some standards set up - not like it takes any large amount of effort to get that poo poo synched. But to manually reference the hardcopy and the ebook to get the loc versions for every page number for my class on sustainable construction standards? Yeah that took me 3 loving hours, and the instructor didn't even give a gently caress when I gave them a copy in case other students ran into that huge wall of :effort:

There are a few things I really like to have in hardcopy - reference books and the like - because it's just super nice to be able to whip out a 500-700 page manual and flip to the page to show the specific syntax and usage of some formula from an obscure code language that I half-forgot how to use... I love having a book that weighs a few pounds that I can lay out on my lap below the keyboard

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 3, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

flosofl posted:

gently caress packing boxes and then having to move those boxes. gently caress it right in the rear end.

don't have nearly that many books, but I switched mostly to ebooks a long time ago and wish my wife would as well. moving boxes and boxes of books is the worst part of moving, they always end up super heavy. Next we should talk about how absolutely stupid dust jackets and hard covers are.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nippashish posted:

You will be one of the hipsters.

Hipsters aren't real I'm afraid.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Nice to see you defending Tolkien for a change :3:
His prose isn't very good.

coyo7e posted:

Unironically, most of the hipsters I know who collect books, only do so in order to do that "Arranged by color" poo poo on their shelves - and of course to put stuff like FInnegan's Wake and Gravity's Rainbow where people can see the and assume that said hipster is literate.

those aren't hipsters, they're just people who like good books

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

fritz posted:

Yep. According to my house, the only proper way of arranging your bookshelves is with the paperbacks two rows deep and more paperbacks lying down on top of those rows, with any larger format books migrating to the ends of each shelf, and perhaps one shelf of hardbacks fairly nicely arranged but maybe some books lying on top of them too if they couldn't fit in anywhere else. Indexed using the infallible system of I know my copy of Cyteen is somewhere around this area.
So I guess arranging my books by colour wouldn't really matter to me other than requiring about 2.5 times the shelf space.
Nowadays, almost every new book I buy I do so on on Kindle anyway.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i wonder how many fewer deaths due to fire could be prevented every year if possession of paper books was made illegal

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Baloogan posted:

i wonder how many fewer deaths due to fire could be prevented every year if possession of paper books was made illegal

they'd be no more fires, and firemen would have to resort to burning books.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

His prose isn't very good.

So you prefer his poetry? Controversial!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

So you prefer his poetry? Controversial!

its also not very good, however he did write a poem about a fat cat that likes to eat cream which is a lot better than writing about space ships

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Tokamak posted:

they'd be no more fires, and firemen would have to resort to burning books.

You could see this reference coming from alpha centauri.well done.

Tolkien also wrote a wonderfull whimsical short story about what a pain in the rear end c.s. Lewis was so hes got that going for him.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

less laughter posted:

In what way do the Latro books have evocative and lurid prose? They are expressly written in a workmanlike voice of a commoner/soldier, not a professional writer or poet. It's inherent to the story. They have the same style as Pirate Freedom.

alright in those i listed the prose isn't the same style as the others, but it still has a more interesting and unusual set of imagery and the point certainly goes for the solar books. wizard/knight is also not in a more erudite style, but still has plenty of evocative passages.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

coyo7e posted:

This totally works if your entire library is nothing but reference manuals in series, and full copies of collected editions of etc etc

In her case it works with a whole bunch of fiction novels I dunno man different people remember things differently.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I sort my library by genre and then author and get triggered by authors that write in more than one genre because now I either have mystery stuff in my horror area or an author spread across several shelves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hobnob posted:

Yep. According to my house, the only proper way of arranging your bookshelves is with the paperbacks two rows deep and more paperbacks lying down on top of those rows, with any larger format books migrating to the ends of each shelf, and perhaps one shelf of hardbacks fairly nicely arranged but maybe some books lying on top of them too if they couldn't fit in anywhere else. Indexed using the infallible system of I know my copy of Cyteen is somewhere around this area.
Ah yes, the dewey death knell system.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hobnob posted:

That's my family's traditional way of organizing books too. :3: Although all the C.J. Cherryh tends to gravitate to the same set of shelves so it's easy to find.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ornamented Death posted:

I sort my library by genre and then author and get triggered by authors that write in more than one genre because now I either have mystery stuff in my horror area or an author spread across several shelves.
When I moved this last summer, I pared my books down drastically. I put a serious effort into only keeping nonfiction that I intended to use in the future, mythology books, and a handful of fiction series or novels that have kinda sentimental value, like my dog-eared old copy of Shogun that my dad bought before I was born. I still have too many boxes of books but I was pretty stoked the other day when I started getting into Arduino and remembered a couple of C books I still have. ;)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I collect books, so having a large number is a feature, not a bug. I also only plan on moving, at most, two more times in my life, so I'm not overly concerned about that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm a little over halfway through Justin Cronin's The Passage and am curious about opinions on the later books in the series? This one comes across a lot like WWZ met The Stand and while it's not Cormac McCarthy level by any means, I'm not really sure how far it can go past the first novel, or if it goes all "Coyote" (Allen Steele's) and end up with a lot of society-building and civil wars and whatnot

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I'm a little over halfway through Justin Cronin's The Passage and am curious about opinions on the later books in the series? This one comes across a lot like WWZ met The Stand and while it's not Cormac McCarthy level by any means, I'm not really sure how far it can go past the first novel, or if it goes all "Coyote" (Allen Steele's) and end up with a lot of society-building and civil wars and whatnot

The later volumes definitely had diminishing returns for me. While they do have some flashback sections to the modern apocalypse-going-down timeframe, there's a lot more of the future society building n maintaining, as well as civil warring you predicted. I like Cronin's writing, I just grew tired of this setting and it's characters, and I hope he moves on to something different and shorter.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

coyo7e posted:

The second book has about an equal focus on the pre-breakout phase, and I think the core future conflict in the second is more interesting. It doesn't go far enough into the future for a substantial amount of post-apocalypse history to elapse, though the state of society is certainly a central element. I haven't read the third. I didn't really care for a lot of the characters, either. I thought Peter was by far the weakest. Everyone talks about how good and cool he is but he's a bland nothing. Wolgast and Alicia are much more interesting.

Mandragora
Sep 14, 2006

Resembles a Pirate Captain

coyo7e posted:

I'm probably in the minority here but I think that while the quality did dip in book two, he pulled it out of the nosedive in book three and I think he did some really interesting things with the characters and the setting, stuff that took me by surprise. He doesn't get back to the pacing quality of the first one but his prose gets much better and he's able to focus more on character growth on some of the figures who I feel weren't fleshed out earlier.

I saw him speak when he came out to Sydney for his book tour earlier this year and he said the third one is his personal favorite and was the most enjoyable to write, because it let him utilize a lot of stylistic things that he accidentally locked himself out of in the first two novels. There's some first person narration that I think reads much better than his third person.

I don't know that I'd go back and re-read any of them anytime soon, but I don't regret slogging through the second and parts of the third to get the complete story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I tried to read the first one but just.... ugh it was a slog.

Did the story ever get better? I made it to the point where The nuke went off and the weird kid was some kinda messiah for the new vampire weirdos that they were experimenting on. I haven't read it in a while, so I might be incredibly off on the summary.

It just... I dunno. It didn't really seem to flow very well as a book. Also I was kinda tired of the LET'S GENETICALLY ENGINEER THIS CRAZY rear end SUPERMAN CAPTAIN AMERICA poo poo USING PRISONERS AND MURDERERS BECAUSE HOLY gently caress NOTHING CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG WHOOPS OH gently caress SOMETHING WENT WRONG plot idea. Just seems like before they even began someone would have raised a hand and went "Wait, have you ever SEEN a horror movie?".

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I made it through the first book but it was so big and such a slog I never bothered to read the rest. I also found the characters to be bland and the world to be uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Help me, thread! I am desperate for a new fantasy novel to get into. It's been so long since I enjoyed reading (and I really like swords).

I loved:
Every book by Joe Abercrombie (except Best Served Cold), which I was put on to by clever peeps in this thread. I even liked what he wrote in my copy of Sharp Ends!
Discworld (specifically - Mort, Jingo, Night Watch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal)

I liked:
ASOIAF
Lies of Locke Lamora (thanks for that one, thread!)
The Last Wish (Witcher)

Common recs I did not like:
Name Of The Wind
Way Of Kings
Black Company
The Red Knight
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower)

Additionally:
Malazan scares me.
Wheel Of Time seems like a lot of what I hate in the genre, but I also know I should try it one day because it's such A Thing.
Mistborn didn't hook me, but I should give it a fair chance one day.
Prince of Thorns puts me off because I just don't want to read about a character that unlikeable.

Basically: I like punchy prose that doesn't waste time, I prefer more low fantasy military/historical vibes over mystical or magical (would totally be up to branching into historical fiction). And I never realised until now how much of a factor humour played in what I like (see: Pratchett, Abercrombie, Locke Lamora...). It really is key to making characters likeable, making the journey enjoyable, and balancing out all the morally grey grimdark.

For what it's worth I was thinking I should check out Sword of Destiny in the Witcher series (someone in the thread told me to go with that one before Blood of Elves) at some point, and read more Pratchett (the next adventure of Moist probably).

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 4, 2017