Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
From the pictures none of the old stuff appears to be rare so it's probably not worth very much, but if there's a single blue dual land lost somewhere in the piles that would change things.

They went through a sort of similar looking box that had been unsorted in the back room of my old LGS the summer before last and found a NM unlimited Time Walk mixed in with garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I'm seeing Ice Age, Homelands... there's zero money in there, in all likelihood.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ville Valo posted:

Vidya game designer.

HELLO THERE

looks familiar

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Pussy Snorkel posted:

HELLO THERE

looks familiar

Well it's not in my hands yet to take an original photo. :mad: But the shipping alerts are getting texted to my also-new-this-xmas Apple Watch 2, aww yuss. :dance:

My girlfriend warned getting myself a lotus would be a gateway to buying the rest of P9, because I can never stop at just one. I told her she's nuts; I just want a piece of Magic history and it'll look great in a case on my desk. Been pricing out moxen on eBay and the FB groups all day...

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Ville Valo posted:

Well it's not in my hands yet to take an original photo. :mad: But the shipping alerts are getting texted to my also-new-this-xmas Apple Watch 2, aww yuss. :dance:

My girlfriend warned getting myself a lotus would be a gateway to buying the rest of P9, because I can never stop at just one. I told her she's nuts; I just want a piece of Magic history and it'll look great in a case on my desk. Been pricing out moxen on eBay and the FB groups all day...

Yessss....join the dark side

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So I Emrakul'd a Bogles player yesterday. Got to put an Ethereal Armor and a Daybreak Coronet on my Emrakul. It was exactly as fun as it sounded.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
So, I was thinking to myself, "why not birdblade?"

Birdblade: Dark Bantics
2 birds of paradise
2 noble heirarch
3 derevi, empyrial tactician
2 leovold, emissary of trest
2 quirion ranger
2 true-name nemesis
4 stoneforge mystic
3 deathrite shaman
1 glissa, the traitor

3 winter orb
2 garruk wildspeaker
3 green sun's zenith
1 umezawa's jitte
1 sword of feast and famine
4 swords to plowshares
2 flusterstorm
3 brainstorm

2 tundra
2 tropical island
2 savannah
1 underground sea
1 bayou
4 windsweapt heath
4 flooded strand
3 gaea's cradle

board
3 disenchant
3 swan song
1 armageddon
1 ravages of war
1 sword of fire and ice
3 qasili pridemage
3 meddling mage

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

So, I was thinking to myself, "why not birdblade?"

Birdblade: Dark Bantics
2 birds of paradise
2 noble heirarch
3 derevi, empyrial tactician
2 leovold, emissary of trest
2 quirion ranger
2 true-name nemesis
4 stoneforge mystic
3 deathrite shaman
1 glissa, the traitor

3 winter orb
2 garruk wildspeaker
3 green sun's zenith
1 umezawa's jitte
1 sword of feast and famine
4 swords to plowshares
2 flusterstorm
3 brainstorm

2 tundra
2 tropical island
2 savannah
1 underground sea
1 bayou
4 windsweapt heath
4 flooded strand
3 gaea's cradle

board
3 disenchant
3 swan song
1 armageddon
1 ravages of war
1 sword of fire and ice
3 qasili pridemage
3 meddling mage

First, I love it. Even though its probably bad. Second, why not 4 DRS, and 4 brainstorm? I would cut flusterstorms, and play spell pierces. youre not gonna have a protracted counter-war, so itll likely be spell pierce that cant hit walkers or artifacts. Also I dont think derevi is good enough sadly. at least not good enough to play 3. And what does glissa get you? You can recur dead winter orbs or euipment? Seems win-more at best, do nothing at worst. Also maybe some baleful striges as cantripping fliers?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

First, I love it. Even though its probably bad. Second, why not 4 DRS, and 4 brainstorm? I would cut flusterstorms, and play spell pierces. youre not gonna have a protracted counter-war, so itll likely be spell pierce that cant hit walkers or artifacts. Also I dont think derevi is good enough sadly. at least not good enough to play 3. And what does glissa get you? You can recur dead winter orbs or euipment? Seems win-more at best, do nothing at worst. Also maybe some baleful striges as cantripping fliers?

All good points. Derevi is probably not legacy playable, but trying to find non-nicfit homes for EDH cards is sort of my jam these days.

I might get rid of Leovold/Glissa and drop the black splash entirely; Leovold is a really powerful card, but this mana base is greedy as gently caress, I'd like to run 1 of each basic.

Glissa has been okay in a sultai vial brew, but that deck has vials.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Who goin to Louisville?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

All good points. Derevi is probably not legacy playable, but trying to find non-nicfit homes for EDH cards is sort of my jam these days.

I might get rid of Leovold/Glissa and drop the black splash entirely; Leovold is a really powerful card, but this mana base is greedy as gently caress, I'd like to run 1 of each basic.

Glissa has been okay in a sultai vial brew, but that deck has vials.

I love leovold, and he actually makes your mana better because he cantrips when you get wastelanded. Keep him. If you straight up swap derevi for striges you can increase your black source count and be more consistent to boot.

For reference, I think your mana is fine, but I played this at eternal weekend and only barely missed money so my opinion is probably kinda invalid.

1 Badlands
1 Bayou
3 Marsh Flats
4 Polluted Delta
1 Scrubland
2 Tropical Island
2 Tundra
2 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
3 Wasteland
2 Abrupt Decay
4 Brainstorm
4 Cabal Therapy
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Gitaxian Probe
1 Gurmag Angler
1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
2 Painful Truths
4 Ponder
3 Sudden Shock
3 Swords to Plowshares
1 Tamiyo, Field Researcher
4 Young Pyromancer
Sideboard:

1 Abrupt Decay
1 Ancient Grudge
1 Containment Priest
1 Extirpate
3 Force of Will
1 Invasive Surgery
1 Izzet Staticaster
1 Kambal, Consul of Allocation
1 Krosan Grip
1 Life from the Loam
1 Sulfur Elemental
2 Surgical Extraction

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snacksmaniac posted:

Who goin to Louisville?

I wish I could. Also, since I can't, I wish I could actually watch legacy that weekend.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

Who goin to Louisville?

I'm.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

I wish I could. Also, since I can't, I wish I could actually watch legacy that weekend.

More or less this.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

Exactly this.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

Who goin to Louisville?

i am going, god and Richard Garfield willing (there might be snow where I'm flying out of)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

double posting but i haven't been able to come up with an answer to this:

I'm playing steve's UW landstill list that's in this thread (-decree of justice +enlightened tutor and some random sideboard changes including a Humility). What do you guys think of Spell Snare vs Pierce in the current meta?

Spell Snare
Kills chalice for 1 dead
gets gofys/bobs/SFMs
Gets hymn to tourach
gets infernal tutor
completely dead against resurgent sneak and show

Spell Pierce
Still gets turn 1 chalice for one and maybe other chalices later
much better against sneak and show
gets opposing planeswalkers
overall more versatile
does not get various creatures that are bad for me

Against sneak and show I have two Containment Priest and one Humility in the board that are actively good, plus i get to leave in random cards that incidentally get me out of jams (Council's Judgement, swords their griselbrand). do you think the permanent-based hate is enough, since sneak and show has basically no way to deal with them?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Don't know if anyone else cares about GW hatebears, but I'm thinking Renegade Rallier could take up a slot or 2 in the deck. 3 cmc is the sweet spot in that deck but his ability to get back ghost quarters and about 40% of the decks creatures seems nuts. Resto angel, displacer, and flickerwisp blinking him means free GQ or horizon canopy, which is the kind of grindy value that deck wants.

Also saw it suggested that he combos with Saffi Eriksdotter, but aside from being hit by collected company it's nothing reveillark didn't already do. You'd either have to play a 4 card creature based combo or use blasting station to win, and those options don't seem better than the normal Melira/anafenza options.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

double posting but i haven't been able to come up with an answer to this:

I'm playing steve's UW landstill list that's in this thread (-decree of justice +enlightened tutor and some random sideboard changes including a Humility). What do you guys think of Spell Snare vs Pierce in the current meta?

Spell Snare
Kills chalice for 1 dead
gets gofys/bobs/SFMs
Gets hymn to tourach
gets infernal tutor
completely dead against resurgent sneak and show

Spell Pierce
Still gets turn 1 chalice for one and maybe other chalices later
much better against sneak and show
gets opposing planeswalkers
overall more versatile
does not get various creatures that are bad for me

Against sneak and show I have two Containment Priest and one Humility in the board that are actively good, plus i get to leave in random cards that incidentally get me out of jams (Council's Judgement, swords their griselbrand). do you think the permanent-based hate is enough, since sneak and show has basically no way to deal with them?

I'm pro-Pierce in general, about the only thing Snare comes out ahead on are 2-drop creatures. Between StP, Wraths, Judgment, and Humility, are you really worried about creatures at all? What have you been losing to lately?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I'm pro-Pierce in general, about the only thing Snare comes out ahead on are 2-drop creatures. Between StP, Wraths, Judgment, and Humility, are you really worried about creatures at all? What have you been losing to lately?

Spell-based combo. I realistically should have lost to Storm when I played it but my draws were good and I knew the right spells to counter. Pierce also usually can't counter an Infernal Tutor but is otherwise generally better.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Spell-based combo. I realistically should have lost to Storm when I played it but my draws were good and I knew the right spells to counter. Pierce also usually can't counter an Infernal Tutor but is otherwise generally better.

I mean pierce usually doesn't actually counter tutor but if they go from 6 to 4 mana floating that can be real big.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spell Snare also doesn't do anything about Duress, which is pretty relevant in your infernal tutor matchups

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
By the time they cast Infernal Tutor they're in the middle of going off, so it's way too late unless you're sitting on a FoW. I'd almost rather main-deck Flusterstorms if that's the concern, it hits everything you care about that Pierce hits for the same cost, and is strictly better in some cases.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Taxing an infernal tutor for 2 is still useful a lot of the times - there are times when they've got a million mana and you're just hosed whatever, but there are plenty of times where they're cracking a tutor with exactsies up for their line of play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snare also counters Standstill for the mirror. This is pretty important to consider imo.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Snare also counters Standstill for the mirror. This is pretty important to consider imo.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Don't forget that Snare counters Daze for sure

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

for content: i haven't been losing to much, outside of sneak and show and the card cataclysm, which I will point out spell snare is very bad against

i counter dazes out of spite

e: it's too late, I left my pierces at home and I can't spend that kind of money on a legacy deck with 20 dollars islands and 70 dollar mishra's factories in it

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Elyv posted:

Don't forget that Snare counters Daze for sure

So does an untapped island.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that, my friend, is the joke

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

that, my friend, is the joke

Yeah, but Island is playable. Spell Snare isn't.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

owned again

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Don't know if anyone else cares about GW hatebears, but I'm thinking Renegade Rallier could take up a slot or 2 in the deck. 3 cmc is the sweet spot in that deck but his ability to get back ghost quarters and about 40% of the decks creatures seems nuts. Resto angel, displacer, and flickerwisp blinking him means free GQ or horizon canopy, which is the kind of grindy value that deck wants.

Also saw it suggested that he combos with Saffi Eriksdotter, but aside from being hit by collected company it's nothing reveillark didn't already do. You'd either have to play a 4 card creature based combo or use blasting station to win, and those options don't seem better than the normal Melira/anafenza options.

You can evolve a bird into this guy if Saffi is in play and you have a sac outlet. So the combo is easier to set up. I am buying 4 to see how many I will need in my Naya toolbox deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Untapped Plains also pay for Daze hth

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

do you think the permanent-based hate is enough, since sneak and show has basically no way to deal with them?

Some people have been running the cunning wish plan to deal with this, for whatever that's worth.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

The March Hare posted:

Some people have been running the cunning wish plan to deal with this, for whatever that's worth.
Yeah, I see these good results for the traditional Sneak/Show lists recently, but I can't bring myself to let go of the Cunning Wish plan. Traditional lists fold hard to hate, where the Wishboard is much more resilient.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can evolve a bird into this guy if Saffi is in play and you have a sac outlet. So the combo is easier to set up. I am buying 4 to see how many I will need in my Naya toolbox deck.

Right, but a sac outlet by itself does nothing unless that sac outlet is blasting station (which can't be chord/evolved/companied into). Yeah, viscera seer can scry into a wincon, but oherwise it's a 4 card combo which makes it inherently weaker than the 3 card combos you can tutor and company your way into.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
So I play bad legacy decks and enjoy it (mono G Treefolk Tribal being my start of this venture and still my best performing)
I want to do something with Mortuary/Cream of the Crop/Call of the wild/Impromptu Raid. I am thinking Shivan Wumpus/Argothian Wurm recursion could be fun. I know there are probably better cheat into play creatures, but this seems more my style (aka, bad but fun for me).

Looking for ways to speed it up, I can ramp into it like most green based decks, but wondering if things like Emerald Medallion or Herald of the Pantheon might be interesting additions?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
First Modern FNM of the year tonight, piloted RG Titan Breach to a 2-2 finish (4-round event)-

R1: Dredge. G1 I "keep" an iffy hand when he starts playing before I declare mulligans and I'm too slow to keep up. Yes I should have said something, no I didn't actually say anything, I'm dumb. Boarded out 2 Bolts and 2 Traps for 2 Anger and 2 Relics. G2 we both have better draws but when I manage to stick a Titan he flashbacks Conflagrate to kill it and overrun me. This comes on the heels of hearing two guys talk at the last FNM about how no one at the store plays Dredge :argh: (I think this guy was new anyway). 0-1 (0-2)

R2: Mono U Turns. Time Walk effects + symmetric draw + lockdown spells (Cryptic, Early Frost, Gigadrowse etc.). He gets the lock early in both games and there's not much I can do. I manage to pitch an Emrakul during G1 which I hoped would buy me some time but he gets a Part The Waterveil off and beats me down with the animated land. Boarded out an Anger and 3 Pacts for 2 Grudge (for his Temple Bells) and 2 Choke. G2 he has the countermagic for my threats and I die again. No lie, I'm pretty salty after this one. 0-2 (0-4)

R3: UWR Control. G1 he and I go back and forth a bit until I Breach out an Emrakul, one he knew I had thanks to Courser of Kruphix. I guess he didn't have the countermagic? He scoops despite having a decent remaining life total and me with no other immediate threats. Boarded out 2 Explore for 2 Choke. G2 I hit critical Valakut mass thanks to a couple of Breached Titans. I bait him into countering the second one and get in a Sakura Tribe Elder while he's tapped out for the last Mountain I need to kill him. 1-2 (2-4)

R4: Skred Red. Match of the night and the best match I've had in a while. We both have the same starts in each game- me with T1 Search and other ramp, him with T1 Relic of Progenitus and T3 Blood Moon. G1 I'm stuck under a Blood Moon but with both my Forests in play, so I'm still able to stick Titans and ramp my buns off. However I have a terrible punt here- I cast a Titan with an Emrakul in hand but neglect not to search because I know I have a Breach on top of my deck...which I then have to shuffle away to a suspended Search on my next upkeep. I die to exact damage on 14 mana with Emrakul + land in hand :negative: Boarded out 1 Explore, 2 Trap and 1 Anger for 2 Ancient Grudge (anticipating Ensnaring Bridge), 1 Unravel, and 1 Naturalize. G2 I hit T4 Breach->Emrakul which gives no fucks about Blood Moon. G3 plays out a lot like G1 but we find out what happens to a dream deferred and I actually use all of my Titan triggers to hardcast Emrakul thanks to Blood Moon :toot: Hooray for learning from one's mistakes! I watch one guy pick up a Preordain playset because it's totally gonna get unbanned guys, and I go home and reward myself with mac & cheese. 2-2 (4-5)

Not as good as I had hoped but what bugs me more is that, outside of the punt R4G1, I'm not sure what I could have done differently R1 and 2. Both decks managed to go off faster than my deck, loathe as I am to use :byodood:MATCHUPS:byodood: as an excuse. The only thing I can think of in hindsight is that I probably didn't need to board out the Pacts R2. My fear was casting a Pact and having him tap down the relevant manner when I tried to pay the upkeep cost, but I think the timing works such that I can pay it off first. Other than that, any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

Not as good as I had hoped but what bugs me more is that, outside of the punt R4G1, I'm not sure what I could have done differently R1 and 2. Both decks managed to go off faster than my deck, loathe as I am to use :byodood:MATCHUPS:byodood: as an excuse. The only thing I can think of in hindsight is that I probably didn't need to board out the Pacts R2. My fear was casting a Pact and having him tap down the relevant manner when I tried to pay the upkeep cost, but I think the timing works such that I can pay it off first. Other than that, any advice?
You are correct on timing for Gigadrowse. Pact trigger goes on the stack during your upkeep, he taps your lands, you float mana and pay for Pact. However, they also play Exhaustion, and that gets you because your lands just don't untap.