Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NikkolasKing posted:

He also literally started the Xenogears LP thread with "I actually like this game."

Not exact words but I've re-read that thread several times and he definitely made it clear from the beginning he thought it was a good game. Looking it up to confirm:

And here's the end of that LP.

The Dark Id posted:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is Xenogears. The game was a bit too bloated in places and anemic in others for its own good. Its pacing and tone were all over the drat place. Disc 2 was mostly a barely held together with duct-tape mess due to its slashed budget. And it had more than a few questionable gameplay decisions and some godawful dungeons. But, overall, I still like it. If nothing, it was a memorable journey and that is more than I can ask for from 90% of recent games I’ve played. I mean, how many video games are there out there where you can hop in a giant robot and deck a dinosaur to save your girlfriend? Not many by my count... Not many at all!

Great way to sum it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

There was an old Riviera LP I loved back in the day. Can't remember who did it but it was hilarious with extra dialogue and stuff while also being informative. It got me to play the game.

That's my LP story. Thanks for reading.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only LP I every read was the guy doing the lesbian gladiator RPG and was translating it as he went along because there was no English version.
Before LP's had their own forum and just went into Games.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Chaotic Flame posted:

There was an old Riviera LP I loved back in the day. Can't remember who did it but it was hilarious with extra dialogue and stuff while also being informative. It got me to play the game.

That's my LP story. Thanks for reading.
That was Didja Redo, who is a really goddamn funny writer and has only done a couple LPs, probably because being consistently funny for an entire game is an absurd amount of effort

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

That was Didja Redo, who is a really goddamn funny writer and has only done a couple LPs, probably because being consistently funny for an entire game is an absurd amount of effort

It will never not be sad his FE1 LP died, it has produced so much for the community as a whole just from a few updates.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love both Xenogears and Chrono Cross but I also acknowledge that they are profoundly stupid in parts.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If I remember right, The Dark Id didn't even dislike Xenogears or Chrono Cross but rather point out how batshit stupid they are but still kind of enjoyed them as heavily flawed games. Goons, when it comes to LPs, are really, really really bad at picking this up though and immediately go full negativity towards games.

Hell, I've seen it in LPs of what is generally considered to be good games where the LPer points out some flaws but still clearly enjoys the game yet the thread act like the game is the worst piece of poo poo to ever exist because of these flaws and nobody should check the game out for themselves. And then there's the LPs where the LPer has a negative opinion on a game that's generally considered good and thinks the game sucks and then everyone in the thread flocks to that opinion like sheep (like the Bayonetta 2 LP).

Now I know why i avoided bayonetta lps.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I just read LPs on lparchive.org and occasionally follow one now and then as it plays out. :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know whose idea it was to load up the last act of WoFF with terrible minigames but I hope they stub their toe.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Hell, I've seen it in LPs of what is generally considered to be good games where the LPer points out some flaws but still clearly enjoys the game yet the thread act like the game is the worst piece of poo poo to ever exist because of these flaws and nobody should check the game out for themselves. And then there's the LPs where the LPer has a negative opinion on a game that's generally considered good and thinks the game sucks and then everyone in the thread flocks to that opinion like sheep (like the Bayonetta 2 LP).

She didn't think it was bad either, though?

quote:

I think Bayonetta 2 is a pretty good game, but by no means does it surpass its predecessor.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I don't know whose idea it was to load up the last act of WoFF with terrible minigames but I hope they stub their toe.

you don't have to win any of them, so at least there's that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I decided to finally actually try to finish ff12 before the barrage of stuff coming in, and what the gently caress. There's like a billion sidequests that I don't remember at all. I don't understand how you're supposed to know to get a key back to the mines to fight an esper when it's one of those gather material quests.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why not wait for the 12 remake

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm playing the international version.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Doing Chapter 13 for the first time tonight. What are some tips to help me not hate this part?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Huxley posted:

Doing Chapter 13 for the first time tonight. What are some tips to help me not hate this part?

Use the black hole spell whenever possible to wipe all enemies - Death is only effective on the little imps and Holy is useless. Don't bother with stealth at all, since the black hole wipes out Magitek troopers instantly.

If you want to minimize the hassle as much as possible I'd recommend going back to the open world and getting yourself up to the mid-fifties or so. It'll turn nearly all the enemies you encounter into minor speedbumps.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

If you want to minimize the hassle as much as possible I'd recommend going back to the open world and getting yourself up to the mid-fifties or so. It'll turn nearly all the enemies you encounter into minor speedbumps.

Holy is decent, just not during that chapter due to the weapons lockout. At higher levels, with magic accessories and magic-based Armiger weaps equipped, Holy rips through things. It's even better in places like Costlemark Tower, where you fight a larger number of enemies in a confined space and an AoE magic spell will screw the party.

I'm hoping they change the ring in the next patch to not need a fuckton of magic to have decent output.

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 3, 2017

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So I opted to play through Lightning Returns since it was on sale, and I have an odd question for anyone who has played the game. I'm on day 5 and have already finished all of the main quests. What do I do now, aside from the occasional side quest? Do I really just need to sleep until the end of the world, or is there another main quest hiding somewhere?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Brackhar posted:

So I opted to play through Lightning Returns since it was on sale, and I have an odd question for anyone who has played the game. I'm on day 5 and have already finished all of the main quests. What do I do now, aside from the occasional side quest? Do I really just need to sleep until the end of the world, or is there another main quest hiding somewhere?

A) Do sidequests. Most of them unlock through plot progression, and the vast majority of board quests are unlocked on a day-by-day basis.
B) Kill everything. No, seriously, you can extinct most enemies in the game after you kill enough of them.

After you've done that? Yeah, there's literally nothing. Go to bed until the end of the game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Brackhar posted:

There's a few sidequests that open up only on the very last day or two and you can spend some time killing every enemy in the world for plenty of goodies.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Help Im Alive posted:

Because then you'd have to pay for FF12 again.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Artix posted:

A) Do sidequests. Most of them unlock through plot progression, and the vast majority of board quests are unlocked on a day-by-day basis.
B) Kill everything. No, seriously, you can extinct most enemies in the game after you kill enough of them.

After you've done that? Yeah, there's literally nothing. Go to bed until the end of the game.

Hmm, grinding monsters for the sake of grinding them, when I don't get XP, sounds kinda boring. Maybe I'll just check all the boards in the morning and then sleep through the day...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You get better abilities to synthesize together, which is like gaining levels.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Because then you'd have to pay for FF12 again.

I mean I put 70+ hours into FF12 back when it came out and somehow remember almost nothing about it so it'll be like buying a new game

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Brackhar posted:

Hmm, grinding monsters for the sake of grinding them, when I don't get XP, sounds kinda boring. Maybe I'll just check all the boards in the morning and then sleep through the day...

I mean, you need their drops for the board quests anyway, but more importantly there's a quest that only happens on the final day, and the more extermination you've done the easier that quest will be. Aside from that, if you're really not feeling it then just go to bed and come back for the endgame.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been playing Lightning Returns a lot lately, and I've rather hilariously run into the problem that over the course of regular gameplay I eradicated so many species of monsters that I'd get tormented by Reavers all through half the game's areas. Reavers suck.

But you know what sucks even harder? That I killed so many Reavers begrudgingly that the last, boss one has turned up and I'm utterly unprepared because the game has been so stingy with giving me ice skills for some reason. ...but because he's turning up everywhere Reavers turned up, and I'm doing the Wildlands main quest right now, he's turning up a lot.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Help Im Alive posted:

I mean I put 70+ hours into FF12 back when it came out and somehow remember almost nothing about it so it'll be like buying a new game

It's a lot to do with it just kinda being uninteresting and the characters feeling a lil flat, the world feeling like an mmo, and there being like 3 dungeons to 1 cutscene kinda pacing.

Like it was an ok game but in the end it was fairly unmemorable for me personally. Like one of your party member is a sky pirate but you spend most of the game walking because of like some passing story casualties.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Tae posted:

I'm playing the international version.

Wasn't the international version coming in the remake? Or have they been quiet about what it's including outside of saying that there's "some changes" for it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

dreffen posted:

Wasn't the international version coming in the remake? Or have they been quiet about what it's including outside of saying that there's "some changes" for it.

I assume that they mean they already have the international version so buying the HD version would be less exciting than if they only had the non-International version

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To the people who finished FFXV, how do you feel about the game story-wise? Did you find it bad/good? Is there a tonal shift in the story or is it mostly a light-hearted adventure as it seems early on?

I won't have access to it for a good while now, unfortunately, but I'm fairly curious about it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Elentor posted:

To the people who finished FFXV, how do you feel about the game story-wise? Did you find it bad/good? Is there a tonal shift in the story or is it mostly a light-hearted adventure as it seems early on?

I won't have access to it for a good while now, unfortunately, but I'm fairly curious about it.

I felt like it was obviously rushed out the door, but overall I appreciate it and enjoyed the story. There's definitely a tonal shift about halfway through that never relents. The ending is AAA, for my money the best in Final Fantasy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It definitely suffers from the troubled production, with important info being conveyed through easily missable notes or through the anime/movie. The last third of the game is noticeably rushed with lots of wasted potential both story- and gameplay-wise.

That said it has some of the best individual scenes in FF history and overall I enjoyed it quite a bit. You should keep in mind that this is a story about Noctis and his struggle to shoulder the responsibilities as future king. Everything else in the game is either in service to that story, or comparatively unimportant. Except his relationship with his bros, of course.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Personally I split XV into three parts:

-Chapters 1 to 8 are more or less the open world sections. Great banter, beautiful scenery, lots of sidequesting. Story's not great but it's barely in the way, other than the imperial sections.
-Chapters 9 to 13 are the forced linear sections. In all honesty, probably the weakest part, since the iffy story is forced front and center and there are several points which would have been stronger if given better direction, and several which clearly suffered from a lack of attention and development.
-The endgame (chapter 14) brings it back to form - fantastic cutscenes, a great final 'dungeon', and arguably one of the best endings in the series. Could have given a bit more freedom to the player, but for what it is I think they did a good job.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
A close friend of mine gifted me FF14 and its expansion on Christmas and I hate to say it but this is the best final fantasy, or at least the FF I've enjoyed the most since FF10 and FF10-2. Obviously it took Square two separate tries to make this game, but it paid off for them so well. I loving hate MMOs. I never could get into WoW, just knowing it was this grind and ultimately you're experiencing a story in a very weird manner. I have my own issues with FF14 such as the loot system, not being able to set up way points on the map, and some pretty boring quest lines especially in the early game. BUT the one thing that did keep my attention was the effort they put into actually being able to tell a story in that vein of Final Fantasies before.

Its so self aware and I love that they take advantage of all of their history on this game. Its just blatant flat out fan service, but handled with care. The story isn't really amazing, but its a goddamn work of art compared to the poo poo that Final Fantasy has been since probably 10 where that was at least something that was coherent. As a fan growing up with this series its been so hard to play each subsequent entry and just being so far up its own rear end. I can't remember poo poo about anything that happened from 10-2 but the game was fun at least. FF 12 also kinda sorta made sense at the beginning but got too complicated (and boring) to follow. FF 13 and its sequels make absolutely zero sense at all, not too mention game play wise 13 is probably the worst in the loving series, it was so atrocious. I know 15 has problems since I've watched my roommate play a good deal of it, but I'm willing to give it a chance since it does seem to have heart and just passion in the project in general.

Anyway I just wanted to write about how much FF14 loving rules and is a bunch of fun to play despite some grindy aspects to it (its an MMO, it is what it is).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

not being able to set up way points on the map

I dunno if you mean auto-run type ones but you can flag a position on the map and link it to a chat channel by..uhh..either CTRL or Shift-click (or L1+R1) and there's three waymarkers you can put down as well which show up for anyone in the party or alliance.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before but where FFXIV shines is in how much fanservice stuff it brings in while still completely retaining its own character and not being simply some fanservice game. The Warring Triad bosses are excellent examples; yes they're big FFVI references but they don't occupy the same role (they're not the source of all magic) and they each have their own deep backgrounds within the universe of FFXIV so that they fit in seamlessly.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The problem with XIV is that it's still an MMO with all that that entails. I played for like 20 hours and got bored with the samey quests.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
In FFX will using Summons ever stop feeling like I'm cheating?
I'm not doing any grinding and I'm doing whatever on the expert sphere grid with everywhere and yet I've been wiping every boss with a summon effortlessly, unfortunately.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sounds like you maybe took Yuna down the physical damage path so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The summons only get better in FFX