Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Every Filipino I know in the US loves this guy, none of them are very bright though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Was this the same admission he claimed was a joke the next day or did he admit it again?

This was made about 2 days after he said the whole Fentanyl thing was just something he made up

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So the impression I'm getting from these posts is that the average Filipino voter has about as much political awareness as a medieval peasant from Witcher 3, right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grouchio posted:

So the impression I'm getting from these posts is that the average Filipino voter has about as much political awareness as a medieval peasant from Witcher 3, right?

Oh they like everyone outside North Korea has plenty of political awareness. The problem is in a lack of understanding to critically process the information they're made aware of. What you get is emotional thrashing driven by news sensationalism and a belief that your country is basically inhabited by Literally A Trillion meth addicts and the only solution is to just kill everyone and let god sort it all out because at least some action will have taken place.

A similar phenomenon is happening in the US with nominally rural inhabitants who aren't actually rural but are able to do all their daily errands without ever leaving their neighborhood. They gravitate towards sensational news about crime in the city and over time they start believing that every urban area is basically Aleppo and nobody cares about what it does for their property values and the only way to fix it is to burn the cities to the ground and build over the ashes with Shoppes at Legacy Towne Centre or whatever hog farms get named these days.

They aren't bright enough to actually process that poo poo and fall into a world where cities are war zones, your waiter is secretly Heisenberg, and capital punishment should be the minimum.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A guy like that, it can't be long until the purges start. I'm sure officials want to be on his good side then.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Invisible Handjob posted:

Every Filipino I know in the US loves this guy, none of them are very bright though.

I can confirm this after ruining a good date by criticizing Duterte.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

I can confirm this after ruining a good date by criticizing Duterte.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet there. I have had friendly arguments with fellow Filipinos in the US who supported him during the campaign due to his anti-"imperial Manila" stance but we just don't talk politics anymore because I'm pretty sure he feels terrible about the goings-on back at home.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wonderful, another classy cartoon from Steven Pabalinas, who is more often just plain unfunny than political. This is the guy who brought us this back when Obama won in 2008:

In the last panel, the KKK guy is saying "I'm moving to Africa."

I've seen a lot of unfunny comic strips in my time but this guy really takes the cake and not even necessarily for his politics.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Invisible Handjob posted:

I work with a Filipina woman who hates Duterte with a burning passion and is literally hoping he gets shot in the face. She's also pretty terrified of Trump due to the obvious parallels.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Oh they like everyone outside North Korea has plenty of political awareness. The problem is in a lack of understanding to critically process the information they're made aware of. What you get is emotional thrashing driven by news sensationalism and a belief that your country is basically inhabited by Literally A Trillion meth addicts and the only solution is to just kill everyone and let god sort it all out because at least some action will have taken place.

A similar phenomenon is happening in the US with nominally rural inhabitants who aren't actually rural but are able to do all their daily errands without ever leaving their neighborhood. They gravitate towards sensational news about crime in the city and over time they start believing that every urban area is basically Aleppo and nobody cares about what it does for their property values and the only way to fix it is to burn the cities to the ground and build over the ashes with Shoppes at Legacy Towne Centre or whatever hog farms get named these days.

They aren't bright enough to actually process that poo poo and fall into a world where cities are war zones, your waiter is secretly Heisenberg, and capital punishment should be the minimum.
So how do we deal with such peons?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Grouchio posted:

What do you mean by "we" and "deal"? As in, you want to be able to convince Duterte fans they're wrong? Good luck.

I don't say Filipinos are dumb, but undereducated and perhaps a bit too trusting and naive in general, and even though they've had internet for a while, I guess you could draw a parallel to your "granma on the internet", who forwards and believes all kinds of poo poo they read with little criticism. Many people will paraphrase literally anything because they read it on a completely random, utterly uncertified and unverified Facebook link. It doesn't really defy belief to me, since I'm getting used to it, but that's how it is. Not much different from the rest of the world, is it these days?

I also think some of Duterte's sustained popularity is due to the "gently caress poo poo up" factor, where he just goes against the norm on many issues and makes his voice heard, and makes it sound like he's king poo poo of the world, Pinoy Pride and all that. It's like Trump's campaign where you'd hear fans say they just want someone to storm in and rip Washington apart, with little thinking ahead.

I also have no doubt that the absurd war of drugs he's running is fueled by massive media propaganda, leading people to believe drug users are "raping kids" and causing everything bad in society. It can be really easy to influence people if you have the media in on the ride, and enough gullible peple.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Pilsner posted:

What do you mean by "we" and "deal"? As in, you want to be able to convince Duterte fans they're wrong? Good luck.

I don't say Filipinos are dumb, but undereducated and perhaps a bit too trusting and naive in general, and even though they've had internet for a while, I guess you could draw a parallel to your "granma on the internet", who forwards and believes all kinds of poo poo they read with little criticism. Many people will paraphrase literally anything because they read it on a completely random, utterly uncertified and unverified Facebook link. It doesn't really defy belief to me, since I'm getting used to it, but that's how it is. Not much different from the rest of the world, is it these days?

I also think some of Duterte's sustained popularity is due to the "gently caress poo poo up" factor, where he just goes against the norm on many issues and makes his voice heard, and makes it sound like he's king poo poo of the world, Pinoy Pride and all that. It's like Trump's campaign where you'd hear fans say they just want someone to storm in and rip Washington apart, with little thinking ahead.

I also have no doubt that the absurd war of drugs he's running is fueled by massive media propaganda, leading people to believe drug users are "raping kids" and causing everything bad in society. It can be really easy to influence people if you have the media in on the ride, and enough gullible people.
And that is why Genocide will always continue to occur in the future, no matter how many people strive to see it prevented.

Oh and BTW, how much of the Filipino market is dependent on Chinese exports?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grouchio posted:

You loving vote, that's how. Sorry to break it to you but sometimes voting against someone rather than for someone is your only option. Idealism goes out the drat window when some rear end in a top hat like Duterte's comes calling. I know it might be hard to envision when the next election might be since he'll just cancel them but hey at least now a whole lot of people are educated on the importance of voting.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Interestingly enough, the 2016 Philippine election had a pretty good turnout at 80%~. Certainly much more active than the decline of the US electorate during their past few cycles.

Sometimes Filipinos just do dumb poo poo. Sorry, kababayan.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Duerte after "pushing" the guy out of the helicopter:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
[Budget Secretary Benjamin] Diokno on [Social Security pension] hike: 'Candidate Duterte different from Pres Duterte'

quote:

MANILA, Philippines – In explaining the anticipated decision of President Rodrigo Duterte on the proposed Social Security System (SSS) pension hike, Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno urged the public to differentiate the Chief Executive from the candidate who made promises during the campaign.

Diokno made the statement at a Palace news briefing on Tuesday, January 3, in response to questions about the status of the pension hike proposal, which is awaiting Duterte's decision.

When told that SSS pensioners and their supporters are up in arms over the anticipated decision of the President to renege on his campaign promise, Diokno said: "(Candidate Duterte is different from President Duterte. And you see that all over, even worldwide. Candidate Trump is different from president Trump. You promised something that, when you see the data, it's not doable.)"

Diokno explained that this was where was he was coming from in recommending that the President reject the proposal. The budget chief, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguez III, and Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia had submitted their position paper to the Chief Executive opposing the proposal.

Duterte, who vowed to grant the pension hike during the campaign, had said that he would depend on the recommendation of his economic managers on the proposal.

In explaining his opposition to a pension hike without the necessary corresponding measures, Diokno said that "historically, it has not been done," not even during the Marcos regime.

“Don’t use the taxpayers' money to support a retirement fund. Why should you use taxpayers' money, knowing that some don’t have money?…It is unfair to call on everybody to increase the pension of a few,” he said.

He pointed out that the SSS is a private pension fund. Millions, he said, are not even SSS members and don't have jobs but pay value-added tax (VAT).

He pointed out farmers and fisherfolk, who are hard to tax, comprise a third of the Philippine workforce. There are also “unpaid family workers” or relatives who work for free or do not receive a regular salary in small family businesses.

"Under the law, under statistics you are employed. So there there are a lot of misnomers. Its hard to collect,” Diokno said.

Diokno blamed the SSS Board of Trustees and Congress for the dilemma "burdening" the President.

"To me it's unfair to give the problem to him. In fact, its unfair for Congress to have passed that law which President Aquino vetoed. It should not have reached the President's desk. The Board of Trustees should exercise leadership and say, 'No we cannot do it unless we do a number of things,'" he said.

Congress passed the SSS pension hike bill but President Benigno Aquino III vetoed the bill, citing the same reasons pinpointed by Duterte's economic managers.

"When you pass the buck, you give it to the President, that to me is unfair to the President .... He could give it back to the SSS board of trustees to come up with a solution .... He appointed you there, you come up with a solution," Diokno said.

The budget chief said prior to any pension fund hike, there should be an adjustment in the contribution of SSS members. This can only be done, he added, after the administration completes its tax reform program which will put "more money" in taxpayers' pockets.

This way, he said, the SSS members will be "in a position to contribute in small amounts towards the pension."
“They (SSS board) could increase the collection efficiency and I understand that some corporations are heavily indebted to SSS, maybe they could call on them,” Diokno suggested.

He did express some sympathy for the SSS board, noting that lower interest rates have hit pension fund’s bottomline in recent years.

“Ten years ago they were around 10%, now its 3-4%. So they have to be prudent with their investments,” he said.

Duterte's economic managers estimated that without restructuring the contribution rate, the unfunded liabilities of the SSS would increase from P3.5 trillion to P5.9 trillion if the proposed pension hike is approved.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Diokno blamed the SSS Board of Trustees and Congress for the dilemma "burdening" the President. 

:laffo: I bet the public is buying it too.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

:laffo: I bet the public is buying it too.

Trump is probably going to use the same types of excuses his first 4 years. Then maybe when he's 2 years into his second term and unemployment/heroin addiction are skyrocketing in Middle America that they might think of voting for a Democrat in 2024. Although I think Duterte has a much higher chance of declaring himself dictator?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the second quarter of 2015, the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) began referring to Uber, Grab, and other "app-based services offered by Transportation Network Companies (TNCs)" as TNVS, or Transportation Network Vehicle Services.

On Dec 26 2016, the LTFRB issued a directive to Uber and Grab to implement a limit to surge prices, in response to complaints over exorbitant pricing.

Uber reportedly complied, implementing an unspecified limit that would last until Jan 15 2017.

Grab reportedly committed to place a cap on its surge pricing from Dec 24 to Jan 30 2017, but also did not provide any details on the limit (and ostensibly would not do anything about pricing in that final week of 2016).

On Dec 28 2016, the LTFRB began issuing specific guidelines to Uber and Grab regarding surge pricing, capping it at "2.0x", while also directing Grab to lower its fare-per-kilometer rate, from [12 to 16 PHP per 1 km], to [10 to 14 PHP per 1 km].

(Personal note: if I'm not mistaken, regular taxi cabs have a rate of about 11.66 PHP per 1 km, or 3.50 PHP per 300 meters)

Late last night, Jan 2 2017, GMA News ran this story about an expected "transport strike" of TNVC drivers in response to the cap in surge pricing. The story reportedly came from a group called the Philippine Transport Network Organization, which claims to be a group representing TNVC drivers.

Their President, one Ivan Kloud, stated that a member of their group came up with the idea for a transport strike, and that "madami-dami" (lots and lots) and "mukhang libo" (looks like thousands) number of members threw their support behind the idea.

(Personal note: Kloud was likely unable to come up with a precise number because, in all honesty, the PTNO is a Facebook group)

Kloud said that the PTNO does not directly endorse the idea of holding a strike, and instead calls upon members to a general meeting on Jan 6 2017, with the goal of seeking representation within LTFRB meetings, as currently while the TNC (the companies themselves) are represented, apparently the drivers are not.

The most recent development in this story is from tonight, Jan 3 2017, when in response to the claims of the PTNO regarding a strike, LTFRB board member Aileen Lizada accused many of them of being "colorum drivers".

"Colorum" is a Filipino colloquialism meaning a driver that acts as a public utility vehicle, but has no registered franchise with the government.

Her reasoning would appear to be that there are only about 2 800 to 4 300 registered TNVS drivers with the LTFRB, but the number of PTNO members claiming to want to join the transport strike are much higher. If these 10 000+ PTNO members are all TNVS drivers, them surely some of them lack LTFRB registration, which means they are colorum drivers.

Lizada also remarked that the LTFRB had not received any reports of significant transport strikes this Jan 3, nor of any significant impact to commuters.

Finally, Lizada said that the LTFRB was exploring the possibility of including TNVS drivers as a classification of the land transportation sector that would not be allowed to conduct strikes.

===

This story resonated with me particularly well because having been exposed to years of SA talking about Libertarianism and bitcoins and "tech disruption", I found it funny and ironic to have Uber drivers complaining about not being represented in talks between the government and their middle-man company regarding their own pay, Uber drivers having to reinvent lovely unionization via social media, and Uber drivers being slowly folded back into the regulatory cycle of normal taxis anyway.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Who would have imagined that neckbeard libertarians and techbros wouldn't treat their workers properly.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Uber doesn't consider the drivers workers, and the offer I got from them for being an engineer there was $150k/yr + RSU's which cliffed at one year, vested over 4, worth by the stupid valuation about $400k for the whole 4 years (so +100k/yr) (turned it down for smaller startup-land). Working conditions p. good too (lots of people work like a 50hr week and lie about working 80). Tech companies are forced by the market for tech people to treat their employees better. And Thiel and the like's companies and poo poo do pay market rate.

It's just that the drivers don't have a viable negotiating position. Unions could prolly fix that, regulations only maybe.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so yesterday, Benjamin Diokno said these things, right:

quote:

When told that SSS pensioners and their supporters are up in arms over the anticipated decision of the President to renege on his campaign promise, Diokno said: "(Candidate Duterte is different from President Duterte. And you see that all over, even worldwide. Candidate Trump is different from president Trump. You promised something that, when you see the data, it's not doable.)"

"To me it's unfair to give the problem to him. In fact, its unfair for Congress to have passed that law which President Aquino vetoed. It should not have reached the President's desk. The Board of Trustees should exercise leadership and say, 'No we cannot do it unless we do a number of things,'" he said.

"When you pass the buck, you give it to the President, that to me is unfair to the President .... He could give it back to the SSS board of trustees to come up with a solution .... He appointed you there, you come up with a solution," Diokno said.

Turns out he wrote an Op-Ed back in January 2016 which directly contradicts his position:

quote:

At the same time, the President is not off the hook; he, too, is to blame. His first mistake is that he failed to communicate clearly to his allies in Congress what his position is on the bill. He should have told them that he would veto the bill if and when it reaches his desk.

His second mistake is that he failed to manage well his own people. What were the Presidential Liaison to the House and the Senate, respectively, doing when legislators were discussing the bill? Were they sleeping on their job? Both positions have the rank of Secretary. They should have briefed the President on what’s going on in Congress.

His third error is one of omission. He ignored completely the Legislative Executive Development Advisory Committee (LEDAC). This body is the appropriate forum for coming up with a common legislative agenda and for threshing out differences between the Executive and Congress.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Turns out he wrote an Op-Ed back in January 2016 which directly contradicts his position:

Well, you wouldn't want him getting tossed out a helicopter, right?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Gah, gently caress that first one. The financial intelligence structure in the country is like one of the only things that puts teeth on the ability of foreign banks to see stuff like card fraud and ID theft get prosecuted, and they're one of the big onramps for fighting child abuse rings in places like Cebu. Your president is a criminal who is committing crimes and making it easier to commit crimes, while putting a tough-on-crime face on for the public. Here's to hoping y'all figure out where his supporters are and solve that problem.

I wanted to bring this up again because there is currently a bill in Congress being proposed by former President and now Deputy Speaker of the House Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to defang the AMLC:

quote:

House Deputy Speaker Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has proposed to limit the overseeing powers of the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) over the Anti Money Laundering Council (AMLC), citing how the council has been used “as a tool of selective justice.”

A statement released by Arroyo’s office on Monday made no mention of former President Benigno Aquino III but was apparently alluding to him.

The proposed provision would “insulate the BSP officials from the actuations of AMLC, especially the political ones which may be influenced by the council officials’ loyalty to their appointing authority.”

“The BSP should be liberated from the burden of supervising the very rigorous demands of criminal investigation such as those performed by AMLC,” Arroyo said.

Arroyo proposed an additional amendment to Section 128 of House Bill No. 731, which seeks to modify the Central Bank Act. Arroyo’s proposal seeks to prohibit the BSP “from supervising the operations of the AMLC,” although its governor could still serve as a member of the council.

Arroyo spared BSP Governor and AMLC Chairman Amando Tetangco Jr., whom she appointed when she was president and whom Aquino retained throughout his six-year term.

Arroyo said Tetangco was a “fine career technocrat… who served the BSP itself with distinction.” But career technocrats like him “do not have the temperament and training to supervise criminal investigations such as those conducted by the AMLC.”

She said the AMLC “has been acting much on its own with regard to its investigations, without bothering to get specific clearances from the BSP governor.”

“The AMLC, whose officers were appointed by the previous administration, has demonstrated the potential of being used as a tool of selective justice,” Arroyo said. “In the previous administration, grossly inaccurate information on the alleged bank accounts of then presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte and other perceived opponents of the officers’ appointing authority were leaked out.”

“In contrast, information is now being withheld from authorized investigators on the bank accounts of certain persons under investigation, who happen to be identified with the previous authority which appointed them, and to whom they seem to owe their allegiance,” she added.

Arroyo apparently echoed President Duterte’s frustration over AMLC. Duterte has accused the AMLC of being an obstacle in his campaign against illegal drugs, which has turned into a bloody war where most of the nearly 6,000 suspected drug users and pushers were indigents.

Duterte also accused the AMLC of “corruption” and threatened to treat the council members like drug addicts.

The Duterte administration has complained that AMLC has not provided the Department of Justice with the financial information on Sen. Leila de Lima, whom the President has accused of running the drug trafficking at the national penitentiary.

The country will risk getting blacklisted by the Financial Action Task Force if they go through with it, and even our very own UN envoy, Teddyboy "good at Twitter" Locsin has called the proposal irresponsible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm not terribly familiar with the arrangement between the central bank and the AMLC but I've always operated off it being similar enough to how our enforcement agency, FinCEN operates under the Treasury as does OFAC (they handle stuff like sanctions) and the Federal Reserve (basically our central bank) handles the connection between standards and certification (I.e. you meet certain requirements or else the Fed doesn't insure your deposits and that's a death sentence for a bank).

As far as Filipino finregs go, I'd assume the proposal by Arroyo is basically a way of separating the AMLC's mandate from the BSP's authority/enforcement capability and basically would render your country's AML/CTF financial regulations optional?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2017/01/06/1660189/aquino-6-others-face-complaints-over-supposed-gold-shipment

Some loving morons decided to file graft and corruption complaints against Pres. Aquino and six other former administration officials with the office of the Ombudsman based on a grainy picture of a bank document that they saw on Facebook (or some blogspot site, whatever) asserting that the Philippines had shipped a couple thousand tons of gold bullion to Thailand.

Try to look it up. Try. See where it leads you.

gently caress. Nobody fact-checks loving anything anymore.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A couple thousand tons of couple thousand tons of gold bullion probably wouldn't be found if you melted down every last gold earring and wedding band in the country.

Fake news, corrupt dictator, anti-NATO, anti-UN, honestly other than the tagalog tourettes thing Duterte has it's like you can swap him out for any of a whole crop of assholes getting dubiously elected across the globe the last few years.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Diokno is such an empty shill I'm not surprised. Even in the old days when he was still being lionized he was an opportunistic piece of crap.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Duterte resents spending 1 billion pesos for rehab instead of just killing addicts

Translations mine; note: I translate the famous "putang ina"/"son of a whore" here as "loving".

quote:

In his first televised speech in 2017, President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday expressed resentment at having to earmark P1 billion from Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) funds for the treatment of drug dependents, saying the money could've been put to better use.
"[You see] the irony of life. [We released] another one billion [at these loving drug addicts]. [Because of] the community-based treatment or rehabs there, whatever is going on there, [they have no money for medicine]," he said during the oath-taking of his new appointees in Malacañang on Monday.
"So just imagine, one billion which could have been used for something like feeding the hungry. [It went to these idiots whom I don't even... I want to kill them all but then we'd have a scandal]. So I had to subsidize also the... eh Pilipino eh," he added.
Last month, Duterte said he would spend P1 billion from a P5 billion remittance from PAGCOR for treatment for addicts.
Meanwhile, in the same speech on Monday, Duterte promised "heavenly peace" if people involved in the drug trade just stopped their activities.
"[Then these] human rights, do you want the killing stopped immediately tomorrow? [Go to them]. Drop, just drop the shabu. Turn your back and walk away from the shabu industry and tomorrow it will be heavenly peace. [No more will die. That's my only deal.]," he said.
"[So now I'm saying, but if this continues. These guys have seen] they have a good idea of how it evolve. [They see how]. Now [now, if they go in there, they'll really look for death]," he added.
Duterte also addressed his critics who urged him to be a statesman.
"I may not be really be the ideal public official that you’d want me to be. [They say I'm not a] statesman. [Well gently caress,] statesman, [I studied] law. There’s no such degree as statesman. [Why do you keep forcing me to be a], statesman, statesman? [You've done nothing for your country]," he said.
"[Never mind that I'm not a] statesman, [as long as all these loving drug lords die. You're really going to die, be sure of that. I'm telling you, you drug lords]," he added.
This then prompted him to talk about the billions in shabu seized in San Juan last month.
"[So that one ton in San Juan, if I was here in Manila, and someone called 'Sir, there's some here.' I'll take you behind an apartment and shoot you there]," he said.
"[Then I'll say, 'who's next?'. It's true. That's how much there was, one ton of shabu. gently caress,] you are ripe for the kill. [Do not], do not," he added.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What exactly am I looking at here? I looked up Sinulog and it's some sort of film festival? Is this some safety-related powerpoint for the festival?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ytlaya posted:

What exactly am I looking at here? I looked up Sinulog and it's some sort of film festival? Is this some safety-related powerpoint for the festival?

Yes. It is. I should have provided more commentary, but essentially the Office of the President Assistant for the Visayas released a series of safety reminders for a festival, while using memes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Oh poo poo those aren't parodies?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Oh poo poo those aren't parodies?

No, they are not.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Looks like the government finally went through with it and has now blocked access to popular porn sites like pornhub and xvideos from loading in the Philippines, citing the Anti-Child pornography law.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

And let's not forget the reasoning:

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/862592/shutdown-of-websites-part-of-drive-vs-child-porn-palace posted:

DAVAO CITY — President Duterte loathes the proliferation of porn websites as these have been used by all sorts of people to access child pornography, according to Presidential Communications Secretary Martin Andanar.

“These porn sites should really be banned because they are being used by pedophiles and other people who subscribe to child pornography sites,” Andanar said on Sunday.

The decision of the Department of Information and Communications Technology to bar access to two popular sex-themed Internet sites was warranted.

“What’s important here is that the President does not like these pornographic videos in the Internet,” Andanar told reporters on the sidelines of the launching of this year’s Association of Southeast Asian Nations meeting at the SMX Convention Center here.

He said Mr. Duterte, who had earned criticisms for his sexist remarks during the campaign and have admitted to being a womanizer in the past, also abhorred other unlawful activities in the Internet. like online gambling.

Andanar said child pornography “is a crime and we should not allow this to go on. We don’t want our youth and even the adults to be addicted to lewd videos shown in the Internet.”

Information and Communications Technology Secretary Rodolfo Salalima said an anti-child pornography council composed of social workers and policemen had been recommending to the National Telecommunications Center (NTC) to shut down websites violating Republic Act No. 9775 or the Anti-Child Pornography Law.

“That committee is regularly monitoring websites, which violate the law on child pornography. They then recommend to the NTC to block those sites,” Salalima told the INQUIRER.

On Saturday, visitors of the popular pornhub.com and xvideos.com were surprised that they were prohibited from accessing both porn sites.

It happened a few days after pornhub.com disclosed that Filipinos were the top viewers of its site, spending an average of 12 minutes and 45 seconds in watching sex films.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Pornhub and XVideo explicitly anti-child porn? And isn't there a lot of child porn being _produced_ here in the Philippines? Because I certainly haven't heard them doing anything about that.

The bigger question: what else might the president not like in the future?

Edit: for the record, I just checked and my ISP, PLDT (the biggest one in the country I believe), is not currently blocking these sites.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, this move is extremely dumb because pornhub does not host child porn.

Like, there is no publicly accessible porn site that would host CP and not take it down, or be taken down themselves.

And the hell of it is, blocking the most popular porn sites just drives people to seedier places of the internet, places that do might have CP because they're less well moderated/curated.

The CP "industry" in the Philippines, such as it is, relies on webcams. This isn't doing poo poo to hurt that.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Argue posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Pornhub and XVideo explicitly anti-child porn? And isn't there a lot of child porn being _produced_ here in the Philippines? Because I certainly haven't heard them doing anything about that.

The bigger question: what else might the president not like in the future?

A Pornhub spokesperson commented "Non-consensual and child pornography is strictly prohibited on Pornhub. It's disappointing that Pornhub was blocked as it will just drive people to use less vetted, riskier, smaller websites. We're open to working with government officials to meet their standards in the Philippines."

Argue posted:

Edit: for the record, I just checked and my ISP, PLDT (the biggest one in the country I believe), is not currently blocking these sites.

Looks like the NTC is still in the process of forcing all of the ISPs to comply.

I also find it interesting that the age of consent in the Philippines is only 12 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Argue posted:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Pornhub and XVideo explicitly anti-child porn?

You are not wrong. As far as I know they very aggressively police the videos that are uploaded.

This:

quote:

“These porn sites should really be banned because they are being used by pedophiles and other people who subscribe to child pornography sites,” Andanar said on Sunday.

Is worded in a way that makes me read it as "pedophiles go to this site [but not for pedophile porn] so we're banning it," so get ready for Google and Amazon and such to get banned too, as odds are good a pedophile has at some point in their lives gone to those sites.