Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

The ending is the best: A random MG turret sequence, and then it's over.

I'm saddened because I liked the developer that made it. They clearly had no budget and time. I don't know why the gently caress they stopped making Blood Rayne games which were better than they had ANY right to be.

Blood Rayne 2 has a moment where it went from alright to amazing, when You stop the thing you were trying to stop, only to find out there hundreds more, and you end up in a post-apocalypse.

Sad about the Daryl game as the telltale games are so drat good. I would totally play the gently caress out of a 1st person survival horror game with Merle, Daryl or someone scavenging and Fallouting in the Walking Dead universe.. With as much money as TWD have made I was shocked they never came out with it.

fuckingtest posted:

Prepper spotted

Chances are high but some of that isn't bad. Wanting to eat fresh veggies or eggs or fish? That is cool. Wanting to be able to drink beer from the back of your truck or on your porch under the Northern Lights? Freakin amazing. Cooking some meat on a grill? Bien. Making your own alchohol and/or beer? Don't burn yourself but also can be fun. Shooting a bunch of guns or blowing up some trash? Good times. I prefer to live in the country and encourage anyone else who wants to live there to give it a go. Just be prepared to drive a while to get most of what you want. Any fancy spices or exotic food? You drive an hour or almost that. Want good internet? Roll the dice and hope you can get it. Be prepared for that same internet to suck when it gets dodgy outside. Car breaks down and you need a part? Order the part and wait or catch a ride. Job that pays above minimum wage? Roll the dice and pray you get lucky, drive an hour every day OR make your bones before you move. Vet and medical professions do really good as always. Large animal vets are beloved in areas with lots of ranchers and they will become your best friends. Speaking of friends you better learn to be nice to people as tiny communities can be a bitch if you piss people off. Easier to be a jackass and get away with it in larger cities. Also choose your small town carefully. Some are like bigger towns with a few thousand but someplace with less than a thousand people might still mostly close after dark. And some places can get just shut down in winter and you get isolated. Isolated in a miniscule village mostly staying at home, snowed in with terrible or no internet and bollocks tv/living off your collection of dvds if you have them. I'm a country boy and love it but cities aren't so bad. A million movie theaters, good semi-reliable internet, a million coffee shops and restaurants serving every exotic dish you could imagine and an insanely larger and more varied dating pool. That last part cannot be said or emphasized enough. That and the jobs thing. So yeah.... tired of city life? Move to the country... just don't expect it to be the perfect paradise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
I don't disagree with you but some of your examples are curious. I live in the city, brew my own beer and BBQ frequently. Also, a balcony with a view beats porch every time :colbert:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fuckingtest posted:

Prepper spotted

I can understand the appeal, but it's not for me. I went camping once, it was awful.

A world without air conditioning and anime is not one I want to live in.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Bates posted:

I don't disagree with you but some of your examples are curious. I live in the city, brew my own beer and BBQ frequently. Also, a balcony with a view beats porch every time :colbert:

:( You bastard. I lived in an apartment in the city a couple of years ago and they wouldn't let me grill on my porch. Something about worrying about fire spreading. I was eye rolling inwardly as they told me fire can get out of control. I mean it CAN but I'm cautious around fire and not 12. Sadly they took my assurances with the kind of smile that one would give a toddler. Also I assumed that most cities would have some kind of regulations and rules about brewing and/or homegrown stills. Like taxes, charges and the like.

I will say I've seen some amazing balcony views in various cities. Some of them overlooking rivers and bridges were always awe-inspiring. One friend lived up towards the top of a high rise. Every night he could sit and drink wine and smoke cigars on his porch surrounded by a million moving and breathing lights. I do miss university parties and the wide variety of people and conversations that could pop up. Still prefer my space and the country but only a fool would say city life is total poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Depends on the balcony, really, and your landlord. My apartment they're all wood, so no grilling on them. We do have a beautiful stone grill out by the pool for all to use, though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I can understand the appeal, but it's not for me. I went camping once, it was awful.

A world without air conditioning and anime is not one I want to live in.

After going to Glastonbury a few times camping seems really pointless now. It's like all the lovely parts you have to put up with without any of the amazing parts that more than make up for it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Camping is amazing and you are a soft-fleshed city slicker babby if you think otherwise.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
If camping was that fun we would have never made houses.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
Camping is amazing if you're good at it or have friends. Soft-fleshed city slickers are often terrible at coping with bugs and weather. "OH MY GOD A WOODTICK! GET THE FIRE!"

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Last Chance posted:

TWD game is great though, play that if you have a chance. I just started New Frontier and it's hilarious how much better-written and atmospheric it is compared to the show

I think I had two "holy poo poo!" moments in each episode of the game, versus maybe 1 HS this entire season, and I can't even really remember what it was.

Game's real good yeah. Telltale is more than likely better at producing a television show of The Walking Dead than AMC is, at this point. The cinematography was absolutely on point, tone was setup in less than 5 minutes, actual characters, etc...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

User0015 posted:

I think I had two "holy poo poo!" moments in each episode of the game, versus maybe 1 HS this entire season, and I can't even really remember what it was.

Game's real good yeah. Telltale is more than likely better at producing a television show of The Walking Dead than AMC is, at this point. The cinematography was absolutely on point, tone was setup in less than 5 minutes, actual characters, etc...

And it actually has some Hispanic characters that aren't constantly rambling about how the dead are our friends because of Spiritual Enlightenment (TM), until a white meth head comes in and takes charge of their little community (and promptly destroys it).

Telltale really needs to do a Fear The Walking Dead 1-shot just to piss on AMC some more. The only way that spin-off will ever pay off is if AMC plans to do the final season of Walking Dead as a versus season with the Fear crew as the ultimate villains.

Stickarts posted:

Camping is amazing and you are a soft-fleshed city slicker babby if you think otherwise.

Having grown up in upstate NY where everything looks like the Fallout universe is in full swing with junk cars piled everywhere across unkempt roads and overgrown swamp, I can officially say gently caress the outdoors, gently caress the country and gently caress any place that doesn't have running water, heat, AC and electricity.

User0015 posted:

It occurred to me that when a character I had known for two episodes died, I felt immensely worse and more shocked than when BOTH Glenn and Abraham bit it. You know something is hosed up when I'm more attached to a character I've known for all of an hour, tops, than two series regulars on a show several seasons in.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 3, 2017

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only way that spin-off will ever pay off is if AMC plans to do the final season of Walking Dead as a versus season with the Fear crew as the ultimate villains.

A group of Saviours captures and takes the FtWD crew into their compound. One week later a disheveled Negan looks on in disbelief as his burgeoning empire burns to the ground and the zombies of his former henchmen stumble around.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

A group of Saviours captures and takes the FtWD crew into their compound. One week later a disheveled Negan looks on in disbelief as his burgeoning empire burns to the ground and the zombies of his former henchmen stumble around.

fearthewalkingdead.gif

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Blazing Ownager posted:

It occurred to me that when a character I had known for two episodes died, I felt immensely worse and more shocked than when BOTH Glenn and Abraham bit it. You know something is hosed up when I'm more attached to a character I've known for all of an hour, tops, than two series regulars on a show several seasons in.

Now I'm curious who it was. But yes, on the whole, Telltale does a much better job of introducing characters, making you care about them, and then taking them away all in the span of a few hours. I also didn't care at all that Glenn died, but I did like Abe a little more, or at least his kind of attitude.

TWD feels like it simply has to many characters at this point, and to many narratives for those characters to be in. If they had the production values (and writing team) of Game of Thrones, they could cover multiple characters and episode and still have solid pacing and characterization. Instead, we get entire episodes focusing on one or two characters (hell, I forgot who the the one girl was that woke up on the beach!) for entire stretches at a time, but with so many characters nothing can really evolve at a decent rate.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Blazing Ownager posted:

Having grown up in upstate NY where everything looks like the Fallout universe is in full swing with junk cars piled everywhere across unkempt roads and overgrown swamp, I can officially say gently caress the outdoors, gently caress the country and gently caress any place that doesn't have running water, heat, AC and electricity.

While I like the outdoors to a certain extent, my brother and I did 2600-mile motorcycle trip a few years ago and had both bikes loaded with camping gear. We planned two nights in hotels and camping the other 5. Ended up camping one night a few miles from the north end of the Blue Ridge Parkway and then decided camping sucked. I'd be hosed in the apocalypse unless I had a house like the people in Alexandria.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bates posted:

Keep telling yourself that.
My front porch faces rolling hills of sage. Off to the side are actual mountains. Both within walking or short ride distance.

City folk just don't get it.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 5, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fog Tripper posted:

My front porch faces rolling hills of sage. Off to the side are actual mountains. Both within walking or short ride distance.

Wonderful amazing views are great to look at.

Problem is after a week of amazing views they get less amazing, and then on top of that, there is literally jack poo poo you can do with them. I mean great, you have rolling hills of sage; I bet it sounds nice. But what the gently caress are you going to do a year later with rolling hills of sage? Go out there and run around in fields of sage? Pick some sage? Jump up and down in a field of sage?

I'd rather have a run down Taco Bell outside my door because at least I can get some loving nachos.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Different strokes. I like looking out over the hustle and bustle of the city, the lights, life, human civilization. It's a fascinating machine. I actually like camping and spend most of my vacations hiking. But it's a vacation thing. In my everyday life I want maximum convenience in all matters. Time is an underrated resource.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wonderful amazing views are great to look at.

Problem is after a week of amazing views they get less amazing, and then on top of that, there is literally jack poo poo you can do with them. I mean great, you have rolling hills of sage; I bet it sounds nice. But what the gently caress are you going to do a year later with rolling hills of sage? Go out there and run around in fields of sage? Pick some sage? Jump up and down in a field of sage?

I'd rather have a run down Taco Bell outside my door because at least I can get some loving nachos.

I don't believe I've seen a more :goonsay: post than this one.

Are you my roommate, by chance? He eats T-Bell at least once every other day.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

How can you call yourself alive if you haven't jumped up and down in fields of sage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What even is sage, is that a Domino's topping?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Bates posted:

Different strokes. I like looking out over the hustle and bustle of the city, the lights, life, human civilization. It's a fascinating machine. I actually like camping and spend most of my vacations hiking. But it's a vacation thing. In my everyday life I want maximum convenience in all matters. Time is an underrated resource.

I would add that I am 5 minutes from blue ribbon fly fishing, 20 minutes from one of the coolest ski towns in the USA as well as a couple hours away from actual redrock deserts. In another direction it is virtually wilderness until you get to denver. Not every country house with a view like this has this much accessible to it, but mine does.

I lived in both NOVA as well as Pittsburgh for most of my life. I don't miss it one bit.
Well, except decent Chinese food.

We would vacation in places like this and always wonder what life was like for people who lived there. Now we know first hand.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I bet you have a dumpster in your parking lot as well. They come in handy and I envy you for that.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 5, 2017

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
One thing that sucks about the country is having to go to the dump. But one of the best things is you get to go to the dump.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why hasn't Rick gone to the dump to get a scimitar yet?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

There aren't any camels around to get that sweet, sweet milk.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

If you're living amongst true rurals, the dump is just "the side of the road".

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

God drat-just received compendium 3 of the comics.

What a horribly drawn and horribly written piece of poo poo this is.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My dad has a dedicated dumping sinkhole on the edge of the property that he just bulldozes dirt over every few years

Can't wait for the space aliens to dig up that piece of strata

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

moist turtleneck posted:

My dad has a dedicated dumping sinkhole on the edge of the property that he just bulldozes dirt over every few years

Can't wait for the space aliens to dig up that piece of strata

Ask him if he has room in there for a TV series. Or would that just play out like the Whoopi Goldberg nudes in The Simpsons.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

sex swing from IKEA posted:

God drat-just received compendium 3 of the comics.

What a horribly drawn and horribly written piece of poo poo this is.
It's even more fun way back during the prison, when Tyreese and Michonne, total strangers until then, fall in love by her randomly deciding to blow him out of nowhere, and Carol tries to start a threeway with Lori and Rick.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I read the first two collected volumes of the TWD comic via Comixology Unlimited, and frankly it's a wonder to me that anyone managed to get a semi-watchable TV show out of it. For all the faults the TV show has (and they are legion), it's still infinitely better than its' original source material, at least in my view.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I still remember people bitched during S2 and S3 that the show was misogynist because Andrea wasn't a badass action grrl like she was in the comics. Yes, the same badass Andrea who in the comics is dressed like a schoolgirl the first time we see her and fucks Dale's brains out after Amy dies and after he dies, randomly becomes Rick's girlfriend in the Alexandria arc sometime later because we need our main characters to be in love. Where Michonne starts eyeing the psychotic Morgan reeling from his family being turned into zombies during the comic's version of the Clear storyline as a potential lover. Or when the Governor starts making out with his zombie daughter's severed head. This is totally a story with depth and deep characters, not some cheap assed zombie comic that was right where it belonged in the unknown until Frank Darabont's personal project had the unfortunate side effect of giving Kirkman a voice and access to the mainstream.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Shitenshi posted:

Or when the Governor starts making out with his zombie daughter's severed head.

:stonk:

Please tell me this is some sort of exaggeration/hyperbole. Even if you have to lie in order to do so.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So comic chat since I finally caught up with compendium 3 and the tv show...

is Eugene actually going to hookup with rosita in the show? It seems completely out of character for his tv persona.

How many seasons until they lock up Negan? I could see them going Until at least 1/2 way through next season with the Negan plot line.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:stonk:

Please tell me this is some sort of exaggeration/hyperbole. Even if you have to lie in order to do so.
Wish I was. Right before the Governor leaves Woodbury to raid the prison for the final time where he's killed and all that, he plucks out zombie Penny's teeth with pliers and then says, "Give daddy a kiss," before sticking his tongue in her mouth.

Oh wait, I'm wrong, just checked the wiki and the image, and apparently it's not her severed head. Still tongues his zombie daughter though before he goes to get offed. Here's an image if you want, God help your soul.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shitenshi posted:

Wish I was. Right before the Governor leaves Woodbury to raid the prison for the final time where he's killed and all that, he plucks out zombie Penny's teeth with pliers and then says, "Give daddy a kiss," before sticking his tongue in her mouth.

Oh wait, I'm wrong, just checked the wiki and the image, and apparently it's not her severed head. Still tongues his zombie daughter though before he goes to get offed. Here's an image if you want, God help your soul.

I actually read one of the Walking Dead books, and they are even worse than the comic, Survival Instinct, or Fear the Walking Dead. In the book they reveal the big twist about the Governor, the one thing no one saw coming; his name's not actually Phillip. Phillip was his brother, and Penny is his niece.

That's it. That was the entire point of the book.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
:barf: Jesus tap-dancing Christ. I mean, I get that hosed-up things are bound to happen during a zombie apocalypse, and it's not like I haven't seen other squicky things in films or movies before...but for some reason I feel like I need a shower after seeing that. :cry:

I think it's because it seems to serve no purpose beyond Kirkman trying to be an edgy shitlord, or at least that's how it comes across. For all the faults the Governor had in his TV depiction, he at least came across as maybe once having been a generally decent (if maybe a bit egotistical) person whose mind just broke after the deaths of his wife and daughter; his daughter's subsequent zombification; the pressures of leadership he faced at Woodbury; and just the general collapse of civilization overall. The writing on the TV show may have fumbled that portrayal more often than not, but I'll take that over "incestuous pedo necrophiliac" any day. :shudder:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
For as bad as this show can get, every day I am thankful it's not the comic.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I actually read one of the Walking Dead books, and they are even worse than the comic, Survival Instinct, or Fear the Walking Dead. In the book they reveal the big twist about the Governor, the one thing no one saw coming; his name's not actually Phillip. Phillip was his brother, and Penny is his niece.

That's it. That was the entire point of the book.
Do people cuss a lot in it? I always thought it was weird that people found cussing to be Comic Negan's thing, when everybody cusses like a sailor in the comic.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For all the faults the Governor had in his TV depiction, he at least came across as maybe once having been a generally decent (if maybe a bit egotistical) person whose mind just broke after the deaths of his wife and daughter; his daughter's subsequent zombification; the pressures of leadership he faced at Woodbury; and just the general collapse of civilization overall. The writing on the TV show may have fumbled that portrayal more often than not, but I'll take that over "incestuous pedo necrophiliac" any day.
Well there's a case to be for Comic Governor, because he was clearly a broken man after Michonne chopped off his arm, gouged out his eye, drilled in his shoulder with a screwdriver, and it's implied that she cut off his dick.

Oh wait, I'm forgetting that before she did this to him, Comic Governor kidnapped Rick, Michonne, and Glenn off the streets where he immediately cut off Rick's arm with a machete without warning and had them do some battle royale thing against actual zombies and not just a staged arena stunt like that one time with Merle and Martinez, then raped Michonne for shits and giggles to the point she was bloody and bruised, then raped her some more. Yes, both of these characters have zombie daughters, keep heads in the aquarium, attack foreign groups on the spot, and snatch up any randos they find to the point they're either conscripted into service or killed in secret, but even with all that, the show still managed to not make TV Governor look like the devil himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

For as bad as this show can get, every day I am thankful it's not the comic.

Agreed. I'm still reading for some reason but yeah.... its not good. Mainly because it seems, at times, it tries way too hard to be edgy but is lazy in its execution. The art is ok but so many characters outside the inner circle are just generic. Also there are characters in the show that are amazingly rounded compared to their comic kin. One guy who we just started to like on the show, died in the most pathetic way. I don't mind someone dying like that but his characterization before that had been "gently caress" and "all" in ages.

Its rather sad as I still like Kirkman's Invincible and Invincible universe tie ins. Also like the current situation of earth in the Invinci-verse. It had a guy named Dinosaurus and a super powered French doggie. Astounding Wolf-man and Tech Jacket were also both fun and thoroughly enjoyable comic books.

As far as marvel goes his Irredeemable Ant-Man was good.... can't say I liked much else but he can write a decent comic outside of Walking Dead. Since his fame and fortune the guy does come off a bit more insufferable in the letters column.

We take the piss with the show and the characters it buggers but Carol, King Zeke (yeah already), Father Gabriel, Daryl Dixon, Morgan, Sophia, Herschel... hell anyone but Dale, Andrea and Tyreese did better on the show. Even Tyreese and Andrea are debatable. Dale might have done better but left due to Darabont's exodus. Faint praise I know, but there it is.