Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

oohhboy posted:

People like to see the game they are playing.
I'm thinking of fallout, with the filters, silent hill, all the other games

that part in MGS with the snowstorm, same with uhhh, whatever that russian game where you paid with bullets was

I mean, drat, that game was like post-apoc Russia, surely China can copy that? Even had people living in subways; China already got a leg up on that with the whole underground neighborhoods

Atlas Hugged posted:

I introduced my Texan friend's Mainland girlfriend to tacos last night. She was blown away. She's from Sichuan and considers herself to be the queen of spicy, but discovered for the first time last night that peppers come in multiple flavors. She's cooked for us a few times and while it doesn't taste bad, I'm guessing the giant bag of salt she keeps on her counter is the main ingredient. I tried to explain to her that unless a recipe specifically calls for salt, like baking a cake or something, there's usually no reason to add any since any pre-made sauce or seasoning she's using will also have salt in it.

Deaf ears.
You sure that ain't MSG? Which reminds me actually, I'm running low so I should go to the thai market and get some mo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

oohhboy posted:

Boo whoo, little Hong Kong is trying to subvert CCP threatening to destabilise China. Starts drawing arbitrary lines they themselves will abandon at in the first moment of inconvenience. The autistic screeching continues.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/01/03/china-says-hong-kong-must-not-used-infiltrate-subvert-mainland/

Hey, China, look over here yes, good "gently caress YOU CHINA".

People like to see the game they are playing.

They're really putting on a great show to entice Taiwan to rejoin the fold.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

that part in MGS with the snowstorm, same with uhhh, whatever that russian game where you paid with bullets was

more like Superman 64 with all that distance fog

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

in chinese superman, his health bar is a face bar, where once he's been insulted too much he has to go off in a huff and act passive aggressive

also when he fucks up and crashes into a building he just acts like nothing happened

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I introduced my Texan friend's Mainland girlfriend to tacos last night. She was blown away. She's from Sichuan and considers herself to be the queen of spicy, but discovered for the first time last night that peppers come in multiple flavors. She's cooked for us a few times and while it doesn't taste bad, I'm guessing the giant bag of salt she keeps on her counter is the main ingredient. I tried to explain to her that unless a recipe specifically calls for salt, like baking a cake or something, there's usually no reason to add any since any pre-made sauce or seasoning she's using will also have salt in it.

Deaf ears.

Salt is the most important thing though, but yeah I guess if you're only using pre-made sauces. My Chinese ex was very impressed with my cooking because I used sauce at home "like a real fancy restaurant" and she grew up with salt as the only seasoning used, ever. Like not even soy sauce, just straight salt.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

You sure that ain't MSG? Which reminds me actually, I'm running low so I should go to the thai market and get some mo'

The big bag of salt that says salt on it? Yeah I'm pretty sure it's salt. I bet she's also using MSG, but it's the saltiness that's a problem.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pham Nuwen posted:

Superman64's draw distance fog might actually be better than China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNpBwU3PTX8

I mean, drat, that game was like post-apoc Russia, surely China can copy that? Even had people living in subways; China already got a leg up on that with the whole underground neighborhoods

Metro 2033 is the Russian game. A Chinese version would have everyone starve to death as you can't eat Face.

Soy sauce already has small amount of MSG in it. For most foods :can: that aren't pre-made you should add a dash of salt to help bring out the flavour. MSG gets you the flavour without the saltiness but is viewed as a shortcut unlike salt and sugar. People freak about it for some reason like because chemicals.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MSG is the best but I rarely use it because it's already is every sauce and soup mix already.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I like msg but it makes my family sick. I'm the only one that isnt destroying a toilet and screaming about painful gas and bloat after an msg heavy meal.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803394&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Salt is the most important thing though, but yeah I guess if you're only using pre-made sauces. My Chinese ex was very impressed with my cooking because I used sauce at home "like a real fancy restaurant" and she grew up with salt as the only seasoning used, ever. Like not even soy sauce, just straight salt.

If you are using any bottle of sauce or pack of seasoning I really don't think you need to be adding salt at all. It's not like she's grinding peppercorn and pounding herbs in her studio apartment.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
you guys date some weird girls

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Sichuan girls cooking... yeah don't let that happen to you

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I married a Taiwan #1 thank you very much. She can't cook to save her life though.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The stereotype I developed so far is, Taiwanese men typically can't cook and don't see it as their responsibility.

In Taipei both men and women can't cook, same deal, special case for that city (even if that's 1/3 the pop). Taipei apartments don't come with a kitchen standard. Maybe a hotplate and a fridge.

Sichuan girls are not good at cooking, but can, and the men are much better.

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 3, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
She's from the south. Her dad apparently went to chef school and spends most of his free time baking and her mom is a typical homemaker who can cook the standard dishes. She somehow never bothered to learn and found herself a husband who cooks and changes diapers.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Modest Mao posted:

The stereotype I developed so far is, Taiwanese men typically can't cook and don't see it as their responsibility.

In Taipei both men and women can't cook, same deal, special case for that city (even if that's 1/3 the pop). Taipei apartments don't come with a kitchen standard. Maybe a hotplate and a fridge.

so if both men and women cant cook....how do they eat good food?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dicky mouse posted:

so if both men and women cant cook....how do they eat good food?

Taipei sounds like Hong Kong, people eat out the vast majority of the time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
便當很好吃!我真的喜歡沒有味道的食物。

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Modest Mao posted:

Maybe true, every professional chef I've met here is a dude. Dunno why though. My current landlord is a retired chef born and raised in Sichuan but then decided to branch out and moved to Urumqi where he worked at some decent-ish hotel and learned how to cook all sorts of central Asian halal dishes. We live in the same complex and he invited me over to eat with him and his family right before new years and he cooked a few amazing lamb and yak dishes. I guess yak is halal.

He even bakes his own naan (I dunno the actual name of flat central asian breads but it looks a lot like naan) and gave me a bunch, A+ landlord.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Deaf ears.

tbh most Sichuan people wouldn't say sichuan food is as "spicy" as mexican food cuz they're different kinds of spicy which get lumped together in translation. Sichuan food is by far the most ma food in China, but it ain't the most la. That's like Hunan or Guizhou food which most of my friends here in Sichuan openly admit they're afraid of cuz it's too spicy. Hunan food is generally way spicier than most texmex/central American stuff. Really authentic hunan food is just kinda sadistically spicy, tbh. A friend of mine from shanghai said the food there is so spicy because it's so awful to live in hunan they make the food spicy enough so that they can forget. Shanghai people really seem to hate people not from Shanghai.

Mexican stuff is having some weird boom in chengdu right now and a ton of places have opened and seem popular in the last year. As it's all tortilla+rice+meat+veg it makes sense it'd be popular here though.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Modest Mao posted:

you guys date some weird girls

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sichuanese is supposed to be a lot better balanced than the barbarians from Hunan, but these days everyone thinks that Sichuanese food = eat the chilies and nothing else.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Go drink some oil. You have experienced Sichuan food.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Go drink some oil. You have experienced Sichuan food.

*Wonders why you are making GBS threads yourself to death*

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I was walking outside and saw this hella old white guy walking and this ayi was barreling towards him on her e-bike without any hint of slowing down. She made no effort to go around him at all, despite having like 5 meters of open space around him. At the last moment he turned and put his hand out and grabbed the front basket on the bike. The bike stopped and he acted like nothing even happened and just kept walking. The ayi had a look on her face like "WAS THAT A LAOWAI? WHY IS HE SO OLD AND STRONG?" Then she started the bike again and kept going.

Dude is a genius. I never thought of grabbing retards by the bike before.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Haier posted:

I was walking outside and saw this hella old white guy walking and this ayi was barreling towards him on her e-bike without any hint of slowing down. She made no effort to go around him at all, despite having like 5 meters of open space around him. At the last moment he turned and put his hand out and grabbed the front basket on the bike. The bike stopped and he acted like nothing even happened and just kept walking. The ayi had a look on her face like "WAS THAT A LAOWAI? WHY IS HE SO OLD AND STRONG?" Then she started the bike again and kept going.

Dude is a genius. I never thought of grabbing retards by the bike before.

Sounds like a kung-fu master.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

I don't think I'm ever going to get sick of this gif

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Does anyone know what those things on the plate are?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

Does anyone know what those things on the plate are?

Look like longan- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longan

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

might be, kind of looks like there's a stem sticking out. on the other hand, the color doesn't look like longan

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Handjob posted:

might be, kind of looks like there's a stem sticking out. on the other hand, the color doesn't look like longan

It's most likely lychee.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Lychees are red you doofus.

Longans are brown

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Blistex posted:

I explain that "colour" has a "u" in it, and that the US is the only place which doesn't use a "u" in it, but every university in Canada and the US will accept either spelling.

That's a great story.

My wife told me that when she went to college in Canada the professor who graded her first paper failed her for spelling color wrong and refused to let her re-write it.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

caberham posted:

Lychees are red you doofus.

Longans are brown

Oh no, I must protect my Face! By the power of Google, I summon FAO.

Lychee posted:

The skin (pericarp) ranges from yellow to pinkish or red and is leathery, with small, short, conical or rounded protuberances.

Longan posted:

The fruits are similar to those of the lychee, but smaller, smoother and yellowish-tan in color.

Your move, face loser! :smug:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I'm more interested in figuring out what he's drinking.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Couch to 0k

(with Chinese characteristics)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

No one cared who she was until she put on the mask.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Let us English posted:

That's a great story.

My wife told me that when she went to college in Canada the professor who graded her first paper failed her for spelling color wrong and refused to let her re-write it.

I'm sorry your wife ended up with an rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex for a proff. The dean of English at my university was saying that there was a generally accepted rule amongst proffs that either spelling is fine since it's not a big deal to anyone who isn't an idiot. (his words)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

how the gently caress is there not a goddamn real cyberpunk china game

and no dues ecks does not count; I mean just in China, not just for a level or two

I guess there's Shadowrun: HK but we all know that aint real china

mission 1: find the handsurm laowai

• Locked thread