Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Zoran posted:

Was she winning those people 100% to 0%?

Of course, duh. All of them had Hillary Clinton as their second choice. Don't you know anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/816283238511611904

p hosed up that woke internet is fighting for Chuck Schumer and Matt Yglesias's preferred candidate for DNC chair instead of Friend Of Labor Tom Perez

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Serf posted:

maybe you were asleep for 2016 but polls mean nothing anymore lol

the idea of libertarians voting for a democrat is just the funniest thing

Ehhhh I could see Libertarians voting for Clinton over Trump if those were their only options due to the sheer horror factor of Trump.

But it's silly for people to claim that he cost her votes because normally you are correct, a Libtard would never vote for a Dem.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

p hosed up that woke internet is fighting for Chuck Schumer and Matt Yglesias's preferred candidate for DNC chair instead of Friend Of Labor Tom Perez

Wait, Schumer is endorsing Ellison? Are we sure that this guy is as woke as people say he is.....cuz I mean Schumer.....come on, man!

Serf
May 5, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

yglesias saying things that make sense is breaking my brain more than anything else really

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

maybe you were asleep for 2016 but polls mean nothing anymore lol

the idea of libertarians voting for a democrat is just the funniest thing

gary johnson wins more disaffected dems than republicans because his entire campaign is "legal weed and no war" and he just brushes off the whole "kill the poor" aspect of his platform. this was true in 2012 as well.

there's a reason why sanders felt he needed to ask his supporters not to vote for gary johnson.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

gary johnson wins more disaffected dems than republicans because his entire campaign is "legal weed and no war" and he just brushes off the whole "kill the poor" aspect of his platform. this was true in 2012 as well.

there's a reason why sanders felt he needed to ask his supporters not to vote for gary johnson.

gonna go out on a limb here and say that the vast majority, far more than half, of gary johnson's supporters were libertarians, not disaffected dems

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Serf posted:

gonna go out on a limb here and say that the vast majority, far more than half, of gary johnson's supporters were libertarians, not disaffected dems

And it does seem like there's an obvious way to win over people who care about legal weed and no war

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Zoran posted:

Was she winning those people 100% to 0%?

no, most of them would have just not voted. the election was close enough that she might have won if 3rd parties weren't on the ballot, but it was not really the reason she lost - this year the 3rd parties were more a rejection of hillary & trump than an embrace of of either candidate's campaign.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Zoran posted:

And it does seem like there's an obvious way to win over people who care about legal weed and no war

Bernie
Bernie don't you lose my number
Cuz there's not any way.
That you wouldn't have won

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

yeah no, there aren't even remotely that many libertarians in the united states.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

fits my needs posted:

Wait, Schumer is endorsing Ellison? Are we sure that this guy is as woke as people say he is.....cuz I mean Schumer.....come on, man!

Schumer's an opportunist who was quicker at reading the writing on the wall than his Hillaryman colleagues.

Either that, or he's willing to give the Sanders faction control of the party in the hopes that they gently caress up in 2018 so he and the Hillarymen can say "SEE? SEE? WE TOLD YOU!"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Schumer's an opportunist who was quicker at reading the writing on the wall than his Hillaryman colleagues.

Either that, or he's willing to give the Sanders faction control of the party in the hopes that they gently caress up in 2018 so he and the Hillarymen can say "SEE? SEE? WE TOLD YOU!"

hes an opportunist, so both

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah no, there aren't even remotely that many libertarians in the united states.

source?

Serf
May 5, 2011

there's tons of libertarians in america

source: a ron paul revolution sticker I saw in the bathroom last week

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

source?

libertarian result by year:

browne '96: 0.50%
browne '00: 0.36%
badnarik '04: 0.32%
barr '08: 0.40%
johnson '12: 1%
johnson '16: 3.28%

gary johnson improved on previous hard-right candidates by campaigning on weed and war, but he did not just suddenly invent millions of new libertarians.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Yes, we should put this on people who voted for Mr. What's Aleppo, because clearly Hillary was their close second choice.

Why, Rachel? Why do you have to be so myopically lovely when it comes to Hillary Clinton?

Actually a lot of bernouts voted for johnson because they're only capable of smoking weed, buying weed to smoke, or thinking about the next time they can smoke weed.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

not surprisingly, a lot of ron paul's supporters weren't libertarians either. they were attracted to his platform of weed and no war. there is certainly no shortage of former ron paul supporters who jumped to sanders in '16.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gary johnson improved on previous hard-right candidates by campaigning on weed and war, but he did not just suddenly invent millions of new libertarians.

he didn't create them, the free market did!!!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Serf posted:

and yet you didn't notice me tapping my foot st you

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sanderistas shitpost like this but hillfolk shitpost like this

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

"Wow, it looks like record numbers of normally-Democratic voters were unwilling to vote for our nominee this year and were compelled to vote for third-party candidates instead. I guess people are just becoming more and more stupid, bad, and racist. There's no other way to explain why they would fail us like this." -- a lot of people two months ago

Serf
May 5, 2011

looks like those voters are being created lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

Actually a lot of bernouts voted for johnson because they're only capable of smoking weed, buying weed to smoke, or thinking about the next time they can smoke weed.

Bernard Brothers love weed as much as Hillary Enthusiasts love salt

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I do not like the Sandernistas as a pejorative because it implies there was anything wrong with the Sandinistas and their valiant struggle against the murderous Contras and their imperialist US backers.

loquacius posted:

Bernard Brothers love weed as much as Hillary Enthusiasts love salt

I switched to Bernouts because it was rightly pointed out to me that BernieBro is sexist.

Serf
May 5, 2011

zegermans posted:

I do not like the Sandernistas as a pejorative because it implies there was anything wrong with the Sandinistas and their valiant struggle against the murderous Contras and their imperialist US backers.

it's a pejorative?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

Sandernista isn't really a perjorative, it's more like *insert any term people complain they can't use but members of that group can*

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Serf posted:

it's a pejorative?

Perhaps not here but I've seen it used elsewhere as such.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

looks like those voters are being created lol

well it's not an outbreak of libertarian ideology, it's an outbreak of hillary-clinton-is-nomineeitis. is it really that much of a shock that people don't really put a lot of thought as to where they throw away their protest vote?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

is it really that much of a shock that people don't really put a lot of thought as to where they throw away their protest vote?

Not really, I don't have much faith in the frontal lobe functionality of people who thought this was a good election to protest vote.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zegermans posted:

I switched to Bernouts because it was rightly pointed out to me that BernieBro is sexist.

the tribulations of the centrist: finding just the right pejorative to use for those idiots who failed to support your candidate sufficiently without stepping on any toes w/r/t demographics

Serf
May 5, 2011

well it's not an outbreak of libertarian ideology, it's an outbreak of hillary-clinton-is-nomineeitis. is it really that much of a shock that people don't really put a lot of thought as to where they throw away their protest vote?

I believe that if people were gonna protest vote, they probably wrote in bernie sanders or voted for trump tbh

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

Perhaps not here but I've seen it used elsewhere as such.

Anybody who uses it as a pejorative is signalling themselves as an idiot and enemy

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know several people who wrote in Bernie

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

am i out of touch? no, it is the voters who are wrong

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

"Wow, it looks like record numbers of normally-Democratic voters were unwilling to vote for our nominee this year and were compelled to vote for third-party candidates instead. I guess people are just becoming more and more stupid, bad, and racist. There's no other way to explain why they would fail us like this." -- a lot of people two months ago

I'm just gonna quote myself here because this is all I can think of every time someone third-party-shames

Stein is a joke, Johnson is a joke, and the fact that many more people than usual voted for one or the other of them rather than supporting Hillary can't really be seen as anything other than a failure on Hillary's part

Maybe if the Democratic Party actually became a party for the lower and middle classes people wouldn't feel compelled to protest-vote against them

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

zegermans posted:

Not really, I don't have much faith in the frontal lobe functionality of people who thought this was a good election to protest vote.
It turns out the retard was inside you all along

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

vote shaming is anti-democratic and unamerican

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I must confess that I'm confused as to why so many in the Democratic Party are unwilling to admit how awful a candidate Hillary was.

It seems to me that if I was preparing for another shot at Trump in 2020, I would want to believe that the things that happened in 2016 are things the party could fix or avoid. Admitting "Trump was really lovely, but Hillary was pretty lovely too, and if we had gone with someone who wasn't so personally and politically repellent to so many people we would have beaten him like a rented mule" seems like a simple thing to me.

I guess the point is that if we want to have hope for the future, we have to think that WE did something wrong, not that external factors were the sole cause for her loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

zegermans posted:

We are all very concerned for you, zegs

• Locked thread