Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

melting down over an arbitrary game mechanic :allears:

" turn rates, shield strength, and top speed"

Now considered "arbitrary game mechanics"

what the gently caress have I missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I just started playing after a year+ break and was disconnected 4 times in ~15 minutes just trying to loving dock

Frontier is still Frontiering huh

Welcome to the reason I spent 98% of my time in solo. Really terrible P2P netcode.

I didn't start out this way but by golly did it make things less lovely. Miss bumping into people though.

I just spent two hours mining because of engineers. Worse than literally painting a wall. I am a broken person because I have many more to go.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 3, 2017

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

TorakFade posted:

Somehow this military slots thing totally escaped me.

Poor FdL is left out of the internals bonanza :(

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Einbauschrank posted:

Well you wouldn't want the premier combat ship with terrible jump range to get any combat buffs now would you? :frontear:

I'll just note the DBS didn't get any either. You know, the military scout ship.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

Military slots: we’re going to be reducing the number of slots by 1 on all vessels that currently have more than 1 slot.
On a related note, we’re reducing the Viper MkIII hull mass, from 60t down to 50t, which should give their Commanders a little more leeway when outfitting, especially with the military slot.

gently caress you, fun. We don't need you. :frontear:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Einbauschrank posted:

If there's one ship that absolutely does not need any more buffs it's that one. Even when all the others are brought up to par the FDL will likely still be top dog.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

DancingShade posted:

Welcome to the reason I spent 98% of my time in solo. Really terrible P2P netcode.

I didn't start out this way but by golly did it make things less lovely. Miss bumping into people though.

I just spent two hours mining because of engineers. Worse than literally painting a wall. I am a broken person because I have many more to go.

I did mining for a few days and didn't mind it too much. Getting attacked by NPCs that I way outclassed was the annoying thing. "Oh, you're a novice in an Imperial Clipper. I'm Dangerous in an Anaconda. Say hello to a wall of multi-cannon fire."

I had better luck getting materials for the engineers driving around in the buggy.
9 arsenic in about an hour on Deciat 7B around -71.0070, 125.0102.

Now all I need are chemical manipulators.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

TorakFade posted:

melting down over balance changes in a beta prior to its release :allears:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
So how does the 17 Draconis thing work with the bounties you accrue? How do you dock back up at the station to turn in?

Also is there only 1 faction massacre missions to pick up or will any do?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Emnity posted:

So how does the 17 Draconis thing work with the bounties you accrue? How do you dock back up at the station to turn in?

Also is there only 1 faction massacre missions to pick up or will any do?

You kill yourself. You respawn docked and, all hostile statuses degrade to unfriendly and all bounties become dormant.

Any massacre mission (or skimmer kill mission) from any faction that targets the owner of the ground station will do.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chrysophylax posted:

If there's one ship that absolutely does not need any more buffs it's that one. Even when all the others are brought up to par the FDL will likely still be top dog.

It does need way more jumprange though, holy moly :(

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland

Chrysophylax posted:

You kill yourself. You respawn docked and, all hostile statuses degrade to unfriendly and all bounties become dormant.

Any massacre mission (or skimmer kill mission) from any faction that targets the owner of the ground station will do.

Ah ok, so use something small and disposabke then like a viper?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
When you're earning 300m an hour, battle conda is disposable as I cannot be bothered changing and refitting.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

melting down over balance changes in a beta prior to its release :allears:

Wait are you saying that implying Frontier doesn't like fun and actively roots it out from the game is somehow false?

If so, lol :grin:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Meep Meep MoFrogs.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 3, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've been killing ships in the conflict zone at 17 Draconis, are you saying there's an easier way to make money here? Admittedly I'm not good at this

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Emnity posted:

Ah ok, so use something small and disposabke then like a viper?

P much. Say, a viper or adder.

Pesticide20 posted:

I've been killing ships in the conflict zone at 17 Draconis, are you saying there's an easier way to make money here? Admittedly I'm not good at this

Chrysophylax posted:

You want to check who owns the ground base at 17 draconis and take massacre missions that target said owner.

To stack, you simply accept as many missions as you can, log out, log into another game mode, and repeat till you have 20 or you're bored.

Then you take a small ship that you ideally already have there (like a sidewinder, or a viper) equipped with dumbfire missiles, fly over (jump out and back in, saves you 8000Ls), missile the poo poo out of the skimmers, log out and back in to repopulate the skimmers, repeat until all your missions are completed. Then self-destruct so you avoid a 9000Ls trip back to the station. Turn in all the missions.

Repeat until filthy rich.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chrysophylax posted:

P much. Say, a viper or adder.

Oh my god thank you for this

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

Wait, now I'm confused, isn't lowering the mass on the Viper III a good thing? It means higher maneuverability and higher jump range even when you decide to never do anything with your military slot.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Libluini posted:

Wait, now I'm confused, isn't lowering the mass on the Viper III a good thing? It means higher maneuverability and higher jump range even when you decide to never do anything with your military slot.

I think he's talking about removing one of the military slots from any ship with more than one.

Vecna
Feb 14, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

I think he's talking about removing one of the military slots from any ship with more than one.

It's an interesting turn of philosophy. When Horizons first came out, people were a bit perturbed that the SRV required an optional internal slot. Then fighters was released, requiring another internal slot being sacrificed, even though not all ships can utilize them. Now, in this beta, special slots are being allocated for specialized hardware. I wonder if they will create dedicated hangar slots retroactively. Nah.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

That's not really bad either, since it's still beta. Technically, we haven't ever gotten military slots, so one less is still one more then we have.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I was mostly joking about getting good things and then having them removed / nerfed before even making it to live servers actually, probably didn't do it too well though :downs:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TorakFade posted:

I was mostly joking about getting good things and then having them removed / nerfed before even making it to live servers actually, probably didn't do it too well though :downs:

Did they give a reason for it or is it pretty much "nvm lol"?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

DancingShade posted:

This was in Solo which is what makes it frustrating.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Astroniomix posted:

Did they give a reason for it or is it pretty much "nvm lol"?

There's a whole thread from Sandro on the Brown Sea dedicated to explaining what will go from beta to live unchanged, what will be nerfed/tweaked, and what will be rolled back completely.

For instance, they're rolling back the "sensor class affects gimbal accuracy" thing completely because people moaned about it a lot.

They don't really explain the motivation behind these changes, some of them are probably "spergs didn't like it", while others are probably actual balance reasons.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just made 65 million credits :catstare: what is a good ship for shooting mans? I'm going to grind as much money as possible, but this will be my first time being able to afford whatever I want. Should I save up for a Federal Corvette?

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

I just made 65 million credits :catstare: what is a good ship for shooting mans? I'm going to grind as much money as possible, but this will be my first time being able to afford whatever I want. Should I save up for a Federal Corvette?

A Vulture is a very fun ship for killing NPCs.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Giovanni0109 posted:

A Vulture is a very fun ship for killing NPCs.

I've had one, but I hated dealing with the power management.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Pesticide20 posted:

A level one overcharged power plant engineering upgrade pretty much fixes that issue. All you need is Felicity Farseer unlocked and some sulphur.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

it'd be cool if i, who like to mine, could sell stuff to people who say, don't like to mine

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Efexeye posted:

it'd be cool if i, who like to mine, could sell stuff to people who say, don't like to mine

No as this would open up gold sellers and we don't want that and furthermore

E: there's this, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 3, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Pesticide20 posted:

Keep at it (unless the spree is over) and get more. Best shootmans ship is an FdL but I don't know how much it costs to full kit it out.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Pesticide20 posted:

If you have the rank for it, the Federal Assault Ship is basically a Vulture that hit the gym and it can coast through life with minimal power management. Also coasts through enemy ships.

Post if the well dries up again out there, I'm gonna try and get out there tonight or tomorrow.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just got this game. What should my first goal in regards to ship upgrading be?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Spacebump posted:

I just got this game. What should my first goal in regards to ship upgrading be?

Frame shift drive, so you can actually go places.

If you want, join our player group over on discord, details in OP, we're a chill lot who can answer all sorts of questions relatively quickly.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 3, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Keep at it (unless the spree is over) and get more. Best shootmans ship is an FdL but I don't know how much it costs to full kit it out.

I'm still going strong on this money making venture. What's a good setup for the FdL?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Turmoil posted:

The closest ship I had was my Anaconda so I'm currently sitting above Faraday Keep picking off skimmers with my huge beam laser.
Just a tap and they die.

It'll take a while, but the payout will be worth it. I don't have any missions under 4 million and most are over 8.
It only let me stack 19 missions.

How are you getting such good missions? I am now allied with the jets but it takes me maybe half an hour to get 20 missions most of which are 2-4 million with a handful up to 6. I've never seen any over 7. I'd say maybe 1/4 of the times I relog I get offered missions over 2m in payout, sometimes 2 or 3 from one session. The biggest bottleneck for me is the loading screen from the main menu to loading the station, will lowering settings reduce that at all?

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Pesticide20 posted:

I'm still going strong on this money making venture. What's a good setup for the FdL?

You'll probably need 2x the price of the ship or more to outfit it, plus don't forget to save up for some rebuys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Pesticide20 posted:

My PVE go-to is biweave, 2xscb, whatever else up to you; 3 shield boosters, double chaff, heatsink.

Guns I either go with huge beam + 4 multis or 3 multis (one on huge) and 2 beams.

This'll cost around 115 million ish, with the Li-Yong discount.

• Locked thread