Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

So what is everyones planes for Jan 20th?

yeah I was curious is anyone here going to the inauguration? :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The 20th is a Friday, which is good. Trump's inauguration is not meant to be experienced sober.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 3, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

So this is what it's like to live in a dying democracy. Words mean nothing, truth is whatever words gently caress over the other guy and crushing the opposition to grab power is all that matters. Seriously starting to believe this is the beginning of the end for the republic. Sure it's gonna drag on in some form but jesus gently caress with people like this writing the rules for themselves I don't see a way towards any positive future at all.

It's worth noting that the measure is opposed by Ryan, so it probably won't pass.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

A Handed Missus posted:

yeah I was curious is anyone here going to the inauguration? :lol:

I most likely will not get to see tickets to one for a few years if I keep on this path.

But I doubt I will go if I ever do see tickets. I've heard some stories of what is going on at them and they just don't sound fun.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

holocaust bloopers posted:

I think the US is hardy enough to survive a bad presidency or two.

As a reminder, this is what people who hold different opinions felt in 2008/2012. They survived the previous eight years to bitch and moan thus far, and so will you.
I don't really give a gently caress about how freepers that have been crawling up each other's assholes with insane conspiracy theories felt. I find there to be a significant difference between believing Obama was a crypto-Kenyan usurper in chief possible lizard man president shutting down Walmarts for his Operation Jade Helm mandatory gay abortion wedding cakes in transgendered bathrooms for the Zionist overlords and watching the actual words spoken on live national television bragging about wanting to commit international war crimes, having committed sexual assault and musing about how nuclear strikes are the best solution to our problems.

Oh also other members of that same political party have just voted on dismantling legal constraints on themselves. Like, that just happened. Right now. Pass or not, that's showing pretty god drat clear what their goals are.

One of these things is not like the other.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

how the hell do you make women competing and debasing themselves for a man's attention "empowering" :psyduck:

the same way that weakening the Office of Congressional Ethics strengthens House ethics oversight

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

I most likely will not get to see tickets to one for a few years if I keep on this path.

But I doubt I will go if I ever do see tickets. I've heard some stories of what is going on at them and they just don't sound fun.

I went to the Commander in Chief ball in 2013 and it was really fun. Also hilarious to see so many senior ranking members of the military getting trashed with the lay people.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

bird food bathtub posted:

One of these things is not like the other.

Yeah that's kind of a false equivalency.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ok calm down bird food.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I have a 4 hour layover in Atlanta the 21st so i hope you guys don't collapse a day after trump takes over

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
They just gutted the Congressional Ethics Committee.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CommieGIR posted:

They just gutted the Congressional Ethics Committee.

so it actually went through?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What does that actually mean? I don't watch C-SPAN.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

What does that actually mean? I don't watch C-SPAN.

Here's a good summary:

quote:

The Office of Congressional Ethics has been controversial since its creation and has faced intense criticism from many of its lawmaker targets — both Democrats and Republicans — as its investigations have consistently been more aggressive than those conducted by the House Ethics Committee.

The body was created after a string of serious ethical issues starting a decade ago, including bribery allegations against Representatives Duke Cunningham, Republican of California; William J. Jefferson, Democrat of Louisiana; and Bob Ney, Republican of Ohio. All three were ultimately convicted and served time in jail.

The Office of Congressional Ethics, which is overseen by a six-member outside board, does not have subpoena power. But it has its own staff of investigators who spend weeks conducting confidential interviews and collecting documents based on complaints they receive from the public, or news media reports, before issuing findings that detail any possible violation of federal rules or laws. The board then votes on whether to refer the matter to the full House Ethics Committee, which conducts its own review.

Under the new arrangement, the Office of Congressional Complaint Review could not take anonymous complaints, and all of its investigations would be overseen by the House Ethics Committee itself, which is made up of lawmakers who answer to their own party.
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/02/us/politics/with-no-warning-house-republicans-vote-to-hobble-independent-ethics-office.html

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So there is 2 ethics committees, and neither can really do the job right? Sounds like my government all right.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Two Finger posted:

i'm assuming that was a typo but asking what everyone's flights are seems fairly accurate

Coming home from Minneapolis because gently caress me if I'm still in.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Two Finger posted:

so it actually went through?

Nah, the entire house votes on it today to finalize it or reject the motion.

Fwiw Ryan and the house majority leader both said they oppose the measure. So there's still a chance it doesn't go through.

Also three of the congressmen who pushed the vote through have had run ins with the ethics office so :ironicat:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Time to buy GM stock.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/816262733830168576

Also it's dumb as hell to yell at GM about this when Ford and Chrysler do it too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Time to buy GM stock.

Also it's dumb as hell to yell at GM about this when Ford and Chrysler do it too.

It's dumb as hell to do it on Twitter lmao

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Apparently jet fuel isn't the only thing that melts steel beams, it also possibly sinks unsinkable ships.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

facialimpediment posted:

Time to buy GM stock.

This is what the every 24 hour media network will be focusing on instead of the vote on the ethics committee. its slight of hand.

Your co-workers will be talking about nafta today instead of a seemingly boring "pro-corruption" vote in congress.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/816068355555815424

Nice!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Sad!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

GoGoGadget posted:

Apparently jet fuel isn't the only thing that melts steel beams, it also possibly sinks unsinkable ships.

This has been known about for years, it didn't have an impact on the sinking, and LOL at his theory that they increased speed just to burn coal faster.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Just to hammer home my point, here's the front page of 3 media outlets right now. CNN has the ethics vote as their main headline , Fox buries it under a rain storm, and Drudge doesn't even list it. The right wing world needs a tweet to talk about while their lawmakers do objectively terrible things. In 48 hours, nobody will be talking about either the tweet, or the ethics vote.

Also, remember how your uncle/cousin/brother/father, who is otherwise a smart person, spouted off his terrible political opinions over Christmas? This is the reason. Simply by entering in a different URL, he lives in a different world than you do. His opinions are justifiable based on the information he receives. Once Fox or Breitbart (or HuffPo) load their cookies into your computer, all you will see is advertisements for the bubble. Soon, you'll click on a sponsored article with the headline "America: Under Attack" and the situation repeats itself.

Eventually, structurally non-partisan, and verifiable facts and figures (BLS, the Fed, NOAA) that stand contrary to literally everything that everyone else in your "world" have to be wrong, because acknowledging that they are right will now diminish your identity as a human being. Those facts and figures also won't "feel" right. Headlines about evil Muslims and Kenyan Usurpers "feel" right. The feeling is righteous indignation. People become addicted to it, and chase after it. This is when facts don't matter, only feelings.

Basically everything I said can be applied to the left wing media bubble as well, but it doesn't happen nearly as much (think anti-vaxxers) and not with the same intensity.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
You don't even need to go as far as anti-vaxxers for the left-wing bubble. How many know how nasty the 'Drone War' is? How many know about Obama's mass deportations?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nvm

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The lizard people need to drop an EMP in the atmosphere

"Ok there hu-mons, y'all need a time-out from this internet thing".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It gets better too. Trump was hilariously wrong about the Cruze.

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/816284649869680640

Also, it's definitely legitimate to say that Trump is tweeting to distract from other stuff, which may be the case here. A lot of times though, he just tweets because he has zero self-control and happily drags out a negative story (see Putin, V.) by tweeting about it.

It'll be funny when he breaks twitter's Terms of Service and @POTUS gets banned. Probably will never happen, but I can dream!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-utah-2-year-old-saving-twin-trapped-beneath-dresser/

Something about this poo poo bothers me. Maybe it's the fact that the parents didn't anchor a 100lb dresser. Maybe it's that they didn't hear the dresser fall over. Or the surely two solid minutes of crying and screaming. Another thing, the gently caress are these dumbass parents doing shutting the door on a room with twin 2 year olds inside it?

And after that, they're still dumb enough to post the video on the internet. Nothing like making family service's job easier when the video shows up on one of their facebook feeds today. "HEROIC BABBY SAVES BRO" or whatever the clickbait will read. Can't really blame it on the manufacturer, I'm sure Ikea has seen to that with all sorts of warnings on the box and directions after their babycrushers caught wind a while back. They even sent techs out to build and anchor dressers for free.

I'm sure they're decent parents. I know I was raised in shadier situations (who the gently caress lets their kids play in full grain hoppers? Everyone in my family). But goddamn, if this doesn't wind up with those kids in foster care, I'd be surprised.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-utah-2-year-old-saving-twin-trapped-beneath-dresser/

Something about this poo poo bothers me. Maybe it's the fact that the parents didn't anchor a 100lb dresser. Maybe it's that they didn't hear the dresser fall over. Or the surely two solid minutes of crying and screaming. Another thing, the gently caress are these dumbass parents doing shutting the door on a room with twin 2 year olds inside it?

And after that, they're still dumb enough to post the video on the internet. Nothing like making family service's job easier when the video shows up on one of their facebook feeds today. "HEROIC BABBY SAVES BRO" or whatever the clickbait will read. Can't really blame it on the manufacturer, I'm sure Ikea has seen to that with all sorts of warnings on the box and directions after their babycrushers caught wind a while back. They even sent techs out to build and anchor dressers for free.

I'm sure they're decent parents. I know I was raised in shadier situations (who the gently caress lets their kids play in full grain hoppers? Everyone in my family). But goddamn, if this doesn't wind up with those kids in foster care, I'd be surprised.

Yeah, this made me cringe so much. You do NOT leave two toddlers alone like that in a room. It's Darwinism in action, and those two don't deserve it. That little infant is so lucky he has a twin that helped him.

loving idiot parents....I gotta go hug my 4 year old now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't get me wrong, when Darwin wins, we all win, but it's a hard pill to swallow when the ones involved don't even have object permanence down yet.

It's the fact that this is an instant backfire story that has me so annoyed. This happened in Utah, where I'm fairly sure a doctor would ask for details, but that's explainable away and nothing would likely come of it. It's a whole different level of stupid to watch the video and think, "I know, I'll post this on facebook as a warning to parents everywhere!" when in reality they're only exposing their own bad parenting abilities with this yearbook quality highlight of stupidity.

If this happened in a left leaning state, there would be a social worker at the door already.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 3, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trump spoke out against cutting the Ethics board on Twitter. Lol what

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

:ssh: He's only concerned with the timing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Wasn't a major establishing move for Putin the consolidation of power to his faction of oligarchs? If Trump starts doing lots of weirdly inconsistent poo poo re:corruption, that's a pattern I'm going to keep an eye out for.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Just :lol:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

:ssh: He's only concerned with the timing.

I actually think it's a disorder. Dementia? Maybe he's schizophrenic? He probably legit doesn't remember the poo poo he does.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Trump is deeply concerned with corruption and oversight and being crooked except for himself and his friends/appointees.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Just gonna state what I hope to be the obvious: when a politician starts finger loving any ethics- or corruption-related organization, there's a reason. Case in point: remember when Gov. Coumo suddenly shut down that corruption probe? Now all of his cronies are under the microscope and are slowly but steadily racking up charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ABORT, ABORT, ABORT

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/816330465099608065

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/816331344116649986

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/816331733381607425

• Locked thread