Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Musberger posted:

Apparently some people were very upset when I wished this man well at the next level. Let me make something perfectly clear: what he did with that young lady was brutal, uncalled for, he’s apologized—he was tearful, he got a second chance. He got a second chance from Bob Stoops. I happen to pull for people with second chances, okay? Let me make absolutely clear: I hope he has a wonderful career, and he teaches people with that brutal, violent video. OKAY!? Second down & nine.

Jesus Christ, Musberger... just say "Look at that monkey run!" and be done with a career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I've always really liked Brent as an announcer but that was awful, especially when he went back and doubled down on it

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I unironically ascribe this to flawed methodology including the fact all bars have on ESPN all the time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

e: Calling my shot right now. This will be the last game Brent Musburger calls for ABC/ESPN.

I'd like to hope that, but ESPN went well out of its way to carry the water for serial woman beater Floyd Mayweather. They really don't give a poo poo.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2017/brent-musburger-awkwardly-hoped-joe-mixon-has-a-nfl-career.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Brent....Brent...NO.

Don't....Please....STOP.

You didn't need to even bring this up to call the game. Let alone defend it...

e: Calling my shot right now. This will be the last game Brent Musburger calls for ABC/ESPN.

Yeah he's done. If he said just that and just let it go, or even apologized, I'd say he might have a shot. The fact that he double and then tripled down on it makes me think he's absolutely done.

The question is will anyone even touch him after this or is he done forever?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

I'd like to hope that, but ESPN went well out of its way to carry the water for serial woman beater Floyd Mayweather. They really don't give a poo poo.

Also the Greg Hardy interview.

If people really think Brent is getting fired then they haven't really paid attention to ESPN.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Akileese posted:

The question is will anyone even touch him after this or is he done forever?

He's likely got a non-compete clause so if ESPN did have the balls to let him go he'd probably just call it a career, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see FS1 or NBC take a run at him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

He's likely got a non-compete clause so if ESPN did have the balls to let him go he'd probably just call it a career, but I also wouldn't be shocked to see FS1 or NBC take a run at him.

I can see fox doing it, considering they usually pick up the espn rejects

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If he were to get fired I'm sure he'd just retire and work on his gambling and drinking full time

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Listen, Brent has been on his way out for well over a year now. His shift to the SEC Network was a chance to put him out to pasture without too many people watching. But I'm sure he costs more money than he's worth considering how long he's been with them and now that they don't need him anymore.

I doubt they fire him for it but I wouldn't be surprised to see him "retire".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah now that I look at it, he's 77. At this point it's probably ESPN going to him and asking if they want the headlines to say "retired" or "fired"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Also shout out to ESPN2 for counter-programming the Rose Bowl's first half EDIT: May have been the Outback bowl, come to think of it. with a special on the Harlem Globetrotters playing an outdoor game in Venice Beach. That was awesome.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 3, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Yeah now that I look at it, he's 77. At this point it's probably ESPN going to him and asking if they want the headlines to say "retired" or "fired"

He definitely is one of those iconic voices in CFB, but he's also proving himself to be one of those people who are refusing to get on with the times.

Also Penn State and ESPN being denied the comeback narrative is awesome

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

With him having been relegated to SEC Network to begin with plus the need to save money they found the perfect excuse to cut him loose

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Also Penn State and ESPN being denied the comeback narrative is awesome

Absolutely. Gus Johnson had a couple lines after they won the B1G Championship about that being "another step in the healing process" and jesus christ it was so bad.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Absolutely. Gus Johnson had a couple lines after they won the B1G Championship about that being "another step in the healing process" and jesus christ it was so bad.

Penn State deserved the death penalty. But of course, they're a historic school with a historic coach so have a slap on the wrist while SMU got demolished for lesser evil.

Better question, how the hell did USC escape the death penalty anyway if paying athletes is the ultimate evil in the NCAA's eyes (instead of, you know, child rape)?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Penn State deserved the death penalty. But of course, they're a historic school with a historic coach so have a slap on the wrist while SMU got demolished for lesser evil.

Better question, how the hell did USC escape the death penalty anyway?

Short version: The NCAA isn't law enforcement (nor should they be, imagine the disaster that'd be) and ultimately the Penn State/Sandusky matter was more one for law enforcement than the NCAA. They will also never use it on any big program. They'll issue bowl sanctions or scholarship restrictions or show-cause penalties on coaches, or *gasp* revoke wins, but they will never have the balls to use the Death Penalty ever again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Josh Lyman posted:

I unironically ascribe this to flawed methodology including the fact all bars have on ESPN all the time.

Tbh I think it's probably the other way around and the fact that literally every TV in a public place defaults to ESPN is probably if anything undersold in their ratings

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Short version: The NCAA isn't law enforcement (nor should they be, imagine the disaster that'd be) and ultimately the Penn State/Sandusky matter was more one for law enforcement than the NCAA. They will also never use it on any big program. They'll issue bowl sanctions or scholarship restrictions or show-cause penalties on coaches, or *gasp* revoke wins, but they will never have the balls to use the Death Penalty ever again.

It's not even a major conference thing, I don't think they'll use it on any revenue sport again. They've pretty much said that they didn't realize just how badly it was going to gently caress up the SMU program long term and that they regret doing it. The only programs since then to get it have been like D3 tennis teams and poo poo like that.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

DJExile posted:

And then they'll restore those wins. The NCAA is a joke organization when it comes to anything university related while players are treated like cattle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's not even a major conference thing, I don't think they'll use it on any revenue sport again. They've pretty much said that they didn't realize just how badly it was going to gently caress up the SMU program long term and that they regret doing it. The only programs since then to get it have been like D3 tennis teams and poo poo like that.

Yeah this is probably a better way to put it.

Back to broadcast news, SportsMediaWatch has a great breakdown of all the top rated sporting events, including a breakdown by sport and channel. Really worth a look.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

Tbh I think it's probably the other way around and the fact that literally every TV in a public place defaults to ESPN is probably if anything undersold in their ratings

I default to ESPN for the TVs at my work because gently caress putting poo poo like Fox News or MSNBC on. Unless there's some playoff game or a Wisconsin team playing, anyway.

Schremp Howard posted:

And then they'll restore those wins. The NCAA is a joke organization when it comes to anything university related while players are treated like cattle.

Pretty much. The failure to properly make an example out of PSU lead to the poo poo that happened at Baylor. And until they actually hand out a punishment that actually carries heft and not just a slap on the wrist, it'll continue to happen. It's partially why since SMU any sort of- -glances at Miami- Never mind.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Chris Fowler brought it up last night. Said something to the effect of he understands the criticism because of the heinous nature of Sandusky's crimes, but no one involved in the program right now was involved in that. Something to that effect. It was about the best he could do to allow him and Herbstreit to continue fawning over the incredible overcoming-the-odds story they continued pushing for PSU.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Between PSU and Baylor, the NCAA has determined rape isn't a NCAA violation

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

I mean, dude is 88. All things considered I thought he looked and sounded ok.

It was a flash of nostalgia hearing his weakened voice. Every Rose Bowl I end up doing a Keith Jackson impression with a "whoaaaaa nelly! It's the granddaddy of em allllllll"

He is sorely missed in college football and no one has come anywhere close to replacing him. God bless him.

They should have had him pre-record something before the game. Something they could have edited so we all get the nostalgia kick. I thought what they did with him was cruel. Deserved better than that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol
https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/816367590394171393

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahahahaha

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
FS1 has completed its transformation into Fox News Sports

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/816413745710702592

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Benne posted:

:wtc:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Jason Whitlock and Clay Travis have a TV show? Jay and Woody back together? Skip and Shannon BRINGIN IT five days a week? We're living in a golden age guys

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

lmao

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

Don't forget that they also employ Ray "God ... does not make mistakes" Lewis.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

And have made Stephen A. "Elements of provocation" Smith the face of the company

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Great, now we're gonna get talking heads on FS1 saying that basketball isn't being played the way James Naismith intended.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Benne posted:

dana white spoke at the rnc

people forget

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, I can't wait for the takes from Fox on the Minnesota coach firing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

Also, I can't wait for the takes from Fox on the Minnesota coach firing
Could be worse. When the Title IX report came about what the ten players did the Pepe avatar brigade on Twitter tried to turn it into a thing, so you'd see Tweets with updates on the situation followed by about half the replies being, "OH TEN NIGGERS RAPED A WOMAN WELL I AM SHOCKED THIS HAPPENED SIR"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Benne posted:

Whitlock is a Trumper?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Whitlock is a Trumper?
More like an extreme contrarian.

So basically he's Black Skip Bayless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Timby posted:

He works for FS1 now.