Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
And a random mana dork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

This looks pretty cool in German.

This is my new favourite thread gimmick.

And that art is amazing. Can't wait to see it in Foil, only to have people tell me it's not good enough since it's not the masterpiece.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sickening posted:

Generally I believe that judges loving up isn't really that big because their job sucks and they get so little for doing it. Why expect perfection from someone doing a job for less than minimum wage. A HJ of a GP though is compensated enough for it to be a pretty cushy gig and deserves to be held to a higher standard.

You vastly overestimate the compensation for a HJ compared to the costs of attending the event if you're calling it "cushy".

You're also vastly underestimating just how many other things a HJ is doing at a GP; I absolutely sympathise with Scott not feeling like he had enough time to properly investigate the appeal, but am glad he's just going to find time for it going forward.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Inspirational Monuments
Artifact
Non-artifact spells you cast have improvise. (Your artifacts can help cast non-artifact spells. Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for 1.)

---

Industrial Tower
Land
T: Add ◊ to your mana pool.

T, pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only when you control an artifact.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Liking this set. Blocks like KLD/AER with well-executed noncreature spell focuses have really cool designs and make limited that much better.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Rinkles posted:

Inspirational Monuments
Artifact
Non-artifact spells you cast have improvise. (Your artifacts can help cast non-artifact spells. Each artifact you tap after you're done activating mana abilities pays for 1.)

---

Industrial Tower
Land
T: Add ◊ to your mana pool.

T, pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only when you control an artifact.

Monuments (and improvise in general) doesn't seem that amazing; one of the main reasons Affinity was so completely busted was the fact that you could effectively double-dip with artifact lands and just flood the board with free frogmites and Myr Enforcers. Ignoring the non-artifact clause on the monuments, you can't get the double-dip with artifact lands, and more importantly you can't just hit a critical mass after which basically everything with the mechanic can be played for free. I know any mechanic that lets you circumvent mana costs will snap the game in twain easily, but improvise is just an artifact version of convoke, and convoke hasn't made that many waves in constructed. I half expect myself to be quoting this post in a month and admitting how dumb I was at any rate.

Industrial Tower seems like a good Glimmervoid sidegrade; you're paying 1 life per use for colored mana, but it doesn't self-destruct if you have no artifacts and can always tap for colorless mana in case you don't have an artifact or don't want to lose life (such as against burn).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Maybe Affinity will play this? It's cheap and it flies, and it can equip a Cranial Plating...

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Going a few pages back, but I think the biggest issue with snow duals, outside of WotC's cowardice regarding ~*collectors*~ is where you'd print it? You'd need a new Snow set, and considering how poorly the last one was received, I doubt they want to go back to that theme.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I don't see the appeal of Snow duals. It just means you'd need twice as many duals, surely?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mossyfisk posted:

I don't see the appeal of Snow duals. It just means you'd need twice as many duals, surely?

They wouldn't be on the reserved list, and most decks don't need more than 4 duals, so instead of 3-4x100$ Underground Seas you'd have 3-4x10$ Snowy Underground Seas.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I mean they'd make those Mythic for sure so they'd still be pricy. Just not as

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

Most decks play 1-2 of each of the appropriate true dual, some basics and a bunch of fetches. It should have almost zero effect on deck construction.

For example, here is what the mana base from just a random UW miracles list I googled was:
21 LANDS
2 Arid Mesa
4 Flooded Strand
4 Island
2 Karakas
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
3 Polluted Delta
2 Tundra
2 volcanic island

If you notice, only 4 of these are true duals. 10 of the lands are fetches, 2 utility lands in Karakas and 5 basics. This is a two color deck splashing REB and Blood Moon in the board. No actual red cards in the main. http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=14353&d=285731&f=LE

Also, running too many non-fetch nonbasics would leave decks very weak to wasteland and blood moon, so the pressures of the format limit how many true duals one would want to run anyway. Snow duals neatly skirt the issue of true dual availability being absurdly low by printing a functionally different card (there are cards that interact with snow permanents, like scrying sheets and skred that may get some strange boost) that would be almost completely identical in deck construction for legacy.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 3, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Snow duals would end up in a supplemental product like Commander decks. Just one per ally-colored deck would make those decks sell for twice the retail price.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Star Man posted:

Snow duals would end up in a supplemental product like Commander decks. Just one per ally-colored deck would make those decks sell for twice the retail price.

They specifically try to avoid that poo poo

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Here's hoping the next commander set is 5 5color decks, each with all 5 of the snow duals.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Conspiracy 3: Christmastime in Paliano, featuring Daretti Claus and Queen Grinchesa

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Oh, to be young and naive.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Maybe Affinity will play this? It's cheap and it flies, and it can equip a Cranial Plating...

Well done.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Snow dual masterpieces, coming to an Eternal Masters near you

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Star Man posted:

Oh, to be young and naive.

Lol look at the money Rares in the Commander decks from year to year. Other than the weird blip in 2013 with True Name Nemesis which they are idiots and clearly didn't think would be good in eternal formats, they've dropped from year to year

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dies to bolt.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

whoa, a mythic rare card that's mythic cause it's cool as heck, not cause it's a constructed staple, who'd imagine

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mandatory lesbian posted:

whoa, a mythic rare card that's mythic cause it's cool as heck, not cause it's a constructed staple, who'd imagine

That's quite a feel bad pull though...

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I can't wait to draft around that fat mythic dino. I have no idea what's going on in the art though - are those trees below, and it's standing on a huge rear end rock? The rock looks pretty small in the art!

How can you even read what this card is? I can't tell if it's Japanese, Chinese Simplified, etc. etc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That's quite a feel bad pull though...

maybe for you, a guy unable to have fun, but not for me, a guy who likes godzilla

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

maybe for you, a guy unable to have fun, but not for me, a guy who likes godzilla

It's a mythic that is going to be worth 15 cents...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Not only do I dislike the ornithopter art but its hilarious every time its printed at uncommon.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BTW, just in terms of finance, this set looks horrible so far. I have no idea where the value will be yet. All the playables seem to be cheap creatures at rare.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mcmagic posted:

i like it when you answer all my posts with complete non sequitur

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Aid from the Cowl
Enchantment - Rare
Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, you may reveal the top card of your library. If it's a permanent card, you may put it on the battlefield. If not, you may place that card on the bottom of your library.

mcmagic posted:

BTW, just in terms of finance, this set looks horrible so far. I have no idea where the value will be yet. All the playables seem to be cheap creatures at rare.

Still a lot of set to go though.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Good. Maybe having good removal back at uncommon will lower the price of standard.

Oh wait who am I kidding.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im here to ask why every good card in this set couldnt have been red, instead

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Beautiful, I think all mythics should be fringe playables in limited at best.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Not only do I dislike the ornithopter art but its hilarious every time its printed at uncommon.

Times Ornithopter was common: Antiquities, M15
Times Ornithopter was uncommon: Revised, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Mirrodin, Ninth, Tenth, M10, M11.

Are you saying that most Ornithopter printings are hilarious

-------

The Somali card:

quote:

Aid from the Cowl
3GG
Enchantment
Revolt - At the beginning of your end step, if a permanent you controlled left the battlefield this turn, you may reveal the top card of your library. If it is a permanent card, you may put it onto the battlefield. Otherwise place the card on the bottom of your library.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So why couldn't this be a red card?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SoftNum posted:

Good. Maybe having good removal back at uncommon will lower the price of standard.

Oh wait who am I kidding.

Standard IS cheap right now.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
crappy cards at mythic means you get the disappointment half as often as if they were rare

it's way better than a bunch of crappy rares and all the good cards being mythic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

i like it when you answer all my posts with complete non sequitur

Not a non sequitur. I'm telling you why pulling that card will be a feel bad. Unless you like throwing 4 bucks away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

mcmagic posted:

One Standard non-embarassing deck IS cheap right now.

FIFY

• Locked thread