Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Don't Breathe is straight-up the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Except for rewatching For A Few Dollars more, but I don't think that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

we are the Funyuns posted:

This is a little specific, but anyone know of any horror, action or sci-fi movies streaming on Amazon, Hulu or Netflix where people are trapped in a building, ship, spaceship, etc.?

A few random examples I can think of:

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil
Frozen (stuck on ski lift, not Disney)
Some (German?) Alien rip-off with lots of sex that was on Hulu for a long time

Hell, even The Glass House or Panic Room.

Would prefer good or so-bad-its-good (like the Alien rip-off) suggestions. I just like movies where the characters are trapped in some way.

That Ryan Reynolds one called Buried is on Netflix UK, I dunno if VPN stuff stills works these days though

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Allyn posted:

That Ryan Reynolds one called Buried is on Netflix UK, I dunno if VPN stuff stills works these days though

It's on Amazon Prime, definitely worth watching.

I'd also recommend Sunshine, which I can't find strraming for free, but that then made me think of Ex Machina, which is getting a little more lose with the trapped theme but I think still fits. Watch it either way, in fact.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Oh my god the end of The OA was so loving bad.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I was really excited to recommend Lockout but it isn't streaming anywhere at the moment. It's Die Hard in a space prison staring Guy Pierce. Keep an eye out for when it pops up again.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Tainen posted:

I was really excited to recommend Lockout but it isn't streaming anywhere at the moment. It's Die Hard in a space prison staring Guy Pierce. Keep an eye out for when it pops up again.

It would be more accurate to say "Escape from New York" in a space prison. Legally speaking, anyway.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

This is a little specific, but anyone know of any horror, action or sci-fi movies streaming on Amazon, Hulu or Netflix where people are trapped in a building, ship, spaceship, etc.?

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil

Would prefer good or so-bad-its-good (like the Alien rip-off) suggestions. I just like movies where the characters are trapped in some way.

It's a drama, but Room on Amazon Prime is about a mother and son trapped in a single room. Don't want to spoil anything so I'll leave it at that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dog Eat Dog just dropped onto Netflix, it's a hilariously weird dark crime comedy with Nicolas Cage being himself, and Willem Dafoe being Nicolas Cage.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

coyo7e posted:

Dog Eat Dog just dropped onto Netflix, it's a hilariously weird dark crime comedy with Nicolas Cage being himself, and Willem Dafoe being Nicolas Cage.

Thought about watching this last night, but watched another Netflix film that falls in their "dark movie" category. I recommend The Verdict for everybody. Paul Newman is the loving man and everyone should watch him in whatever movies they can. In this one, he is an alcoholic malpractice lawyer who takes on a last-ditch case.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil

As far as straight up action hero movies go, the original Die Hard, and its rip off Under Siege (which is a well done rip off).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

ChickenMedium posted:

It would be more accurate to say "Escape from New York" in a space prison. Legally speaking, anyway.

Pretty much. Lockout is undoubtedly bad and has some really shoddy CGI, but it's pretty enjoyable with Guy Pierce hamming it up, some fun villains, and a neat setting.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Zwabu posted:

As far as straight up action hero movies go, the original Die Hard, and its rip off Under Siege (which is a well done rip off).

The less said about Under Siege 2: Dark Territory aka Die Hard: On a Boat but Now on a Train, the better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ratatozsk posted:

The less said about Under Siege 2: Dark Territory aka Die Hard: On a Boat but Now on a Train, the better.
Oh the glory days when Steven Seagal could hide his double-chin and gut with a chef knife, instead of the world's tiniest M249

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Oh the glory days when Steven Seagal could hide his double-chin and gut with a chef knife, instead of the world's tiniest M249

Glory days indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgxmhApOo8
This movie includes Oscar winner Michael Caine as an evil oil baron who curses at reindeer and native americans (played by asians) and Oscar winner Billy Bob Thorton as an almost unnamed goon (who of course gets blasted.) Plus John C McGinley and R Lee Ermey.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil

The Mist, Housebound, Would You Rather is good if you enjoyed saw but wished it was more Canadian, Pontypool deserves mentioning again.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

coyo7e posted:

I just checked it out, it's unusual to say the least. It's ok, but I really prefer The Trust, starring Nic Cage and Elijah Wood. It's in the same vein but more low-key and more deadpan humor. It's also on Netflix.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil

I highly recommend Europa Report, which is a Sci-Fi thriller about the first mission to the moon of Jupiter.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil

Shudder, which you can get as an add-on for Amazon, has Dark Star, written by Dan O'Bannon and directed by John Carpenter. It was a huge inspiration on Alien. Comedy, but still sci-fi.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shoombo posted:

Shudder, which you can get as an add-on for Amazon, has Dark Star, written by Dan O'Bannon and directed by John Carpenter. It was a huge inspiration on Alien. Comedy, but still sci-fi.

Dark Star is amazing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil

Splinter is a pretty dope monster movie that wears its The Thing influences proudly and traps the protagonists in a gas station. Should still be on prime.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ratatozsk posted:

Glory days indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDgxmhApOo8
This movie includes Oscar winner Michael Caine as an evil oil baron who curses at reindeer and native americans (played by asians) and Oscar winner Billy Bob Thorton as an almost unnamed goon (who of course gets blasted.) Plus John C McGinley and R Lee Ermey.
I remember watching this movie, but I don't remember him being a fake native american in Under Siege 2. I like how that clip reminded me of how much Seagal was into parroting other cultures' philosophies and styles of dress in his early movies - I'd plain forgotten about that! It's almost sad in a way to think of how he used to be pretty much play a militarized DAPL water protector in all his movies, and now he just does shoot-em-ups about being a russian gangster.

Also - they stole the final line from Planescape Torment... Or did planescape get it from On Deadly Ground!? :catdrugs:

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The Mist, Housebound, Would You Rather is good if you enjoyed saw but wished it was more Canadian, Pontypool deserves mentioning again.
Pontypool owns hard. So does Europa Report, which has one of my favorite scifi endings.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, other cats were right, don't sleep on Dog Eat Dog on Netflix. It's clearly a low budget affair, but it's a finely tuned neo-noir with a lot of venom and a lot of style.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Seagal also tends to speak like what he imagines a black man sounds like in most of his movies. Everything he does is wrong and hilarious including his running style. I love his movies for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HwxyYJNS3o

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

du -hast posted:

I am looking for a recommendation for a horror movie.

Something along the lines of The Autopsy of Jane Doe, which I really liked, or the Conjuring 1/2. Also really liked Paranormal Activity. Another one I was into was The Ring. I am looking for creepy/jump out sorta thing like the ones mentioned above, mysterious sorta, if that makes sense. Weird poo poo like Hellraiser, etc are not really my cup of tea. I'm also not a big gore kinda guy, so things like Scream aren't for me either.

I also saw Hard Candy yesterday and was really really into that. Doesn't necessarily have to be on Netflix or Amazon Prime, I don't mind renting it if it's something good :)

edit: also, after almost 14 years on this forum, I just found out that Ctrl+b produces bold tags for you. smdh

Autopsy and Conjuring makes me think of The Exorcism of Emily Rose, it's written intelligently.

EDIT:

Remulak posted:

Don't Breathe is straight-up the best movie I've seen in a long time.

Except for rewatching For A Few Dollars more, but I don't think that counts.

I've heard more oppositely extreme reactions for Breathe than any other movie in recent history.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The exorcism of Emily Rose was pretty drat good considering how trashy the ads were.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does pbs or any other service stream their shows as they air? I want to watch tonight's frontline but I don't even have an antenna anymore.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

comingafteryouall posted:

It's a drama, but Room on Amazon Prime is about a mother and son trapped in a single room. Don't want to spoil anything so I'll leave it at that.

Room is an incredible film, but probably not the type of movie you're looking for based on the examples posted. I still second this recommendation though, fantastic movie all around.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Seagal also tends to speak like what he imagines a black man sounds like in most of his movies. Everything he does is wrong and hilarious including his running style. I love his movies for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HwxyYJNS3o

Holy poo poo you're not kidding. The real fun starts at 1:25.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNW1ERej0A

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJVEplkVHA

Yep, that's Kris Kristofferson entering at the end, but the real kicker is the sizeable role by Levon goddamn Helm. I will admit to being an unabashed Seagal fan, at least up until Exit Wounds. I offer no defense for what followed.

Well, almost none. That's some A+ schlock.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Speaking of Kris Kristofferson, Vigilante Force is still a great loving movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcQlVkDoYfw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

I've heard more oppositely extreme reactions for Breathe than any other movie in recent history.

Don't Breathe is extremely entertaining but also has some things that are really awful and dumb. And I'm not even talking about "that scene" which honestly neither my wife or I even found all that disturbing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought don't breathe was pretty entertaining but also unremarkable. Felt like something I would have randomly run into on Netflix and been like "eh that was pretty decent" except I paid 15 dollars to see it in a theater.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NsNBMdZhq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuqpR7BK3M0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fahyVcWSem4&t=40s

Once you see the running, you cannot unsee it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

Does pbs or any other service stream their shows as they air? I want to watch tonight's frontline but I don't even have an antenna anymore.
PBS puts up episodes right after they air. I think anybody in the US can view the most recent couple of episodes, but beyond that you need to get something called PBS Passport (which is basically just proof that you contributed at least $60 to your local station). You can view stuff on their website and they have iOS/Apple TV apps; I'm assuming they also exist on other platforms.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Bee Movie is on Netflix right now. Everybody should watch Bee Movie.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

coyo7e posted:

Once you see the running, you cannot unsee it.

idk he looks pretty fast considering

what should i watch on streaming?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Yo, other cats were right, don't sleep on Dog Eat Dog on Netflix. It's clearly a low budget affair, but it's a finely tuned neo-noir with a lot of venom and a lot of style.

I thought it was OK, nothing great, but it takes place in Cleveland. I have seen a lot of these lower budget flicks taking place here, pretty cool I guess.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A MIRACLE posted:

what should i watch on streaming?

Menace 2 Society just popped up on Netflix
Nightcrawler on Netflix
Green Room on Amazon
Mr. Robot on Amazon
Orphan Black on amazon
Sicario on Amazon

I'd be shocked if you haven't already seen some of these already, but who knows

or you could just watch Jaws for the millionth time on Netflix

edit:
The Americans on Amazon

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Filthy Hans posted:

Menace 2 Society just popped up on Netflix
Nightcrawler on Netflix
Green Room on Amazon
Mr. Robot on Amazon
Orphan Black on amazon
Sicario on Amazon

I'd be shocked if you haven't already seen some of these already, but who knows

or you could just watch Jaws for the millionth time on Netflix

edit:
The Americans on Amazon

Thanks for the list, I've been meaning to watch Orphan Black but like, forgot or something.

I watched both seasons of Mr. Robot and I'm not sure I 'get' it, it's wayyy over the top melodramatic (nobody loving talks like that) and taking the unreliable narrator thing to such an extreme is really draining. Same with the OA I guess. More melodrama schlock, but coupled with a "what the gently caress, OA isn't a name, why isn't anyone calling this bitch out on that"

Green Room was alright, it didn't really shock me or anything and Patrick Stewart felt underutilized.

I'll check out Sicario