Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

This isn't a subtle moment but it wasn't until a recent viewing that I noticed the person she is drinking against is not an old lady.

That's not an old lady? Something about Nepalese makes them look sexually ambiguous the older and drunker they get.

Not really a subtle moment from Raiders, but the Wraith of God illustration that Indy finds in a book at the beginning was drawn by Ralph McQuarrie, the same guy who did all of the Star Wars conceptual art. I have a print I need to frame, but it's an odd size and I haven't found a frame yet. I was kind of bummed to find out it really wasn't a kickass Bible illustration. #notallarks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rogue One does something with explosions (and people involved with them) that not a lot of movies do, and I like it.

In most movies, explosion scenes are (understandably) blocked in a way that we see the person near the explosion, then it cuts to a wide shot of the location when the explosion goes off. I get it, you don't actually want anyone in the area when the explosion effect goes off.

However, in RO, almost every scene where a character has an explosion (or some other major disaster thing) happen near them, they took the time to animate a few frames of the explosion approaching them before cutting away to the larger shot. Movies are illusion, and it's a little thing that sells the illusion of Guy X is actually standing near the explosion.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You put that better than I tried after seeing it. I thought they looked more believable but didn't know why.

It's like how Jackie Chan describes Hong Kong cinema fight scenes and why they are better than (American) ones that snap cut every three seconds.
You show the punch hitting, then you cut to a different angle of it hitting again. Your brain stitches them together and you *feel* one solid punch.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's not an old lady ffs.

It's a big old fatass dude.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

Xe never mentioned Xeir pronouns so lets just take a step back here.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

True but i didnt use a gendered pronoun

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

http://menwholooklikeoldlesbians.blogspot.com/?m=1

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite subtle movie moment about that drinking scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark is that it's one one long, uninterrupted shot.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

Rogue One does something with explosions (and people involved with them) that not a lot of movies do, and I like it.

In most movies, explosion scenes are (understandably) blocked in a way that we see the person near the explosion, then it cuts to a wide shot of the location when the explosion goes off. I get it, you don't actually want anyone in the area when the explosion effect goes off.

However, in RO, almost every scene where a character has an explosion (or some other major disaster thing) happen near them, they took the time to animate a few frames of the explosion approaching them before cutting away to the larger shot. Movies are illusion, and it's a little thing that sells the illusion of Guy X is actually standing near the explosion.

The sense of scale in RO was really amazing. The DeathStar in orbit and the test fire scene in particular were great. I wasn't surprised when I found out it was the same director as the last Godzilla movie. Pity the rest of sucked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The sense of scale in RO was really amazing. The DeathStar in orbit and the test fire scene in particular were great. I wasn't surprised when I found out it was the same director as the last Godzilla movie. Pity the rest of sucked.

"It's beautiful" says Krennic, no doubt hiding his boner alongside the audience's.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Why do you think the dude wore a cape/cloak? Gotta hide it somehow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The fact that they used the Death Star to snipe off the radio antenna is such a perfect representation of the Empire. "By any means, the mission will succeed."

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tenchi Muyo gets me wet posted:

My favorite subtle movie moment about that drinking scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark is that it's one one long, uninterrupted shot.

I just watched this over the weekend and even on a Blu-Ray I still can't tell 100% that wasn't a woman. It's Nepalese Pat.

I've heard it described as a goof that Marion sobered up so quickly after nearly passing out, but it looks like she's playing up her condition while in the drinking competition to get people to bet against her.

Although I'm now trying to figure out if Belloq was doing the same when Marion tried getting him drunk in the tent. It was his family's wine and he did grow up on the stuff.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Although I'm now trying to figure out if Belloq was doing the same when Marion tried getting him drunk in the tent. It was his family's wine and he did grow up on the stuff.

Holy gently caress, goons are so dense.

Yes, that's exactly the point.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Holy gently caress, goons are so dense.

Yes, that's exactly the point.

Not Marion trying to get Belloq drunk. Belloq acting more drunk than he was to take advantage of her.

Ignoring Crystal Skull, none of those characters made it to the 1950's with those livers.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

Ignoring Crystal Skull

This is always the correct thing to do.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Belloq acting more drunk than he was to take advantage of her.

Yes, THAT'S the whole point!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

Yes, THAT'S the whole point!

It's like an onion with all those layers.

Watching it as a kid, I just figured Major Toht stopped Marion from getting away. It never occurred to me she was never going to escape.

And as a child who would later become a Goon, I always wondered what happened to Belloq because I'm face-blind and at the end he has that weird hat so I didn't realize it was him.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

The fact that they used the Death Star to snipe off the radio antenna is such a perfect representation of the Empire. "By any means, the mission will succeed."

The coordinates they had were coming from the radio tower antenna, they were so accurate that they missed what they were aiming for (the entire compound) and only hit the top of the tower.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fried Watermelon posted:

The coordinates they had were coming from the radio tower antenna, they were so accurate that they missed what they were aiming for (the entire compound) and only hit the top of the tower.

I just like the idea of the Death Star shooting this one guy specifically.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's like an onion with all those layers.

Watching it as a kid, I just figured Major Toht stopped Marion from getting away. It never occurred to me she was never going to escape.

And as a child who would later become a Goon, I always wondered what happened to Belloq because I'm face-blind and at the end he has that weird hat so I didn't realize it was him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIT0oYWyIA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I just like the idea of the Death Star shooting this one guy specifically.

Yeah I prefer this idea (well, not that they were aiming at the one guy but rather the radio tower). When I first saw the scene I thought,"Why did they aim so far away from the compound?" and then I realized/assumed that they were aiming with pinpoint accuracy at the source of the signal with the knowledge that after that was destroyed the rest of the compound wouldn't be much further behind in being destroyed.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Why do you think the dude wore a cape/cloak? Gotta hide it somehow.

Tarkin is so tall he can see it from his angle anyway, which is why he's always smirking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I love how Patrick Warburton has a distinct voice but his Joe Swanson is different from Brock Sampson is different from The Tick is different from Lemony Snickett. Too many people don't have that distinction and they all blend together.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Same with Jon Benjamin. He always has the same voice, but his performance as Archer is totally different from McGuirk or his Bob Belcher.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Len posted:

I love how Patrick Warburton has a distinct voice but his Joe Swanson is different from Brock Sampson is different from The Tick is different from Lemony Snickett. Too many people don't have that distinction and they all blend together.

On occasion Warburton screams as Swanson and growls as Samson. Beyond that I got nothin'.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I watched the Sense8 Christmas special the other day, and just now double checked something that I thought I'd noticed but wasn't sure of. Spoilers ahead:

At the end, when Wolfgang and Felix are fighting off the thugs using fireworks, Sun helps Wolf out. Now up to that point in the show, it's pretty well established that when Sensates visit eachother and interact with the environment it's actually the visitor taking over the body of whoever they're visiting. This leads to cool effects where you see Wolfgang throw a punch and Sun following through, things like that. I love it.

Except at the end of this fight there's a shot of Wolfgang being grabbed by one of the thugs, with a second thug moving in, and suddenly Sun's there punching the second thug. Wolf and Sun are no longer in the same body. Then Will joins in for good measure.

Am I missing something, or are they establishing that they're no longer confined to a single body they have to share while visiting, and will actually telepathically/telekinetically/whatever be able to affect the world in a new way? In that fight Wolf was clearly occupied by one thug and couldn't fight the second one in any way, unless he can suddenly be in two places at once.

It was really quick, and easily missed, and they didn't address it because the episode ends pretty soon after.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Baron von Eevl posted:

Same with Jon Benjamin. He always has the same voice, but his performance as Archer is totally different from McGuirk or his Bob Belcher.

I was going to say "except for that one time" and then post this video but listening to it he doesn't actually sound like Bob, he sounds like Archer acting like Bob. So poo poo, point proven I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFobb7n7AzE

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RandomFerret posted:

I was going to say "except for that one time" and then post this video but listening to it he doesn't actually sound like Bob, he sounds like Archer acting like Bob. So poo poo, point proven I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFobb7n7AzE

Now we need Mcguirk acting like either of them.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

In Conan the Barbarian Conan finds the Atlantean Sword while stranded on a rock surrounded by dogs. He readies his new sword to meet the dogs as they attack. In the next scene he has a fur coat. It never occurred to me that it's almost certainly made from the dogs, and not just something he found between scenes.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
At the end of The Lobster, the guy puts on a bib and points a dinner knife to his eye to blind himself and be like his girlfriend. A few moments before, just to avoid creaming or breaking his teeth from the pain though, he puts some paper in his mouth. The scene then cuts to his blind girlfriend in the dining area waiting for him to go through the deed. The film then ends on a supposed cliffhanger. Most people wonder if he went through with it but it's kinda clear he did himself in.

Both halves of the movie have rules. The first half explains that having a partner is important because they can help you when you're in need like in the case where you might choke on food. The second half is where the guy is alone in the wilderness with another group of loners. One of their rules is that you should dig your grave because no one else will.

The ending is kind of clear when you bring into account the fact that :

Early in the movie, the guy wants to be a lobster if he would get to be transformed into an animal. the guy put on a bib to avoid blood dropping on his suit but in a way kinda serves himself in the restroom and chokes on the ''food'' (the paper he put in his mouth to stifle screams of pain). He is alone so doesn't get any help from the blind girl he specifically asks to stay in the restaurant going against the rule of the first part of the movie. once the camera cuts to the girl, you can see a construction truck full of dirt taken from someplace offscreen. It probably represents the grave he's put himself into, as a reference to the rule of the second part of the movie.

Basically, i'm taking a long way around this but he Choked and dies alone and the ending isn't at all about ''did he go through with the knife to the eyes or did he chicken out and run away?'' theories I read online.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah but what was up with the lady shooting a cow in the beginning?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but what was up with the lady shooting a cow in the beginning?

When you first watch the movie you don't know animals are people transformed into them, the whole mindfuck that happens to you as a viewer when you watch the movie the first time isn't as impactful the second time when you realize that any animal in the movie could be a relative, acquaintance or friend of someone else.

The girl was probably mad and resentful towards the donkey which could've previously been a human, an ex lover perhaps? As some dude on IMDB wrote :

"The donkey she killed was with a another adult donkey and a foal. Later in the film it's mentioned that being an animal gives you another chance at love. I kinda thought the donkey was an ex partner who maybe left her and ended up as a donkey who partnered with another donkey and consequently the woman was angry and jealous. My take is just that it was a forward reference to the idea of humans being turned into animals because of failed romance.That was probably her ex husband."

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Taeke posted:

I watched the Sense8 Christmas special the other day, and just now double checked something that I thought I'd noticed but wasn't sure of. Spoilers ahead:

At the end, when Wolfgang and Felix are fighting off the thugs using fireworks, Sun helps Wolf out. Now up to that point in the show, it's pretty well established that when Sensates visit eachother and interact with the environment it's actually the visitor taking over the body of whoever they're visiting. This leads to cool effects where you see Wolfgang throw a punch and Sun following through, things like that. I love it.

Except at the end of this fight there's a shot of Wolfgang being grabbed by one of the thugs, with a second thug moving in, and suddenly Sun's there punching the second thug. Wolf and Sun are no longer in the same body. Then Will joins in for good measure.

Am I missing something, or are they establishing that they're no longer confined to a single body they have to share while visiting, and will actually telepathically/telekinetically/whatever be able to affect the world in a new way? In that fight Wolf was clearly occupied by one thug and couldn't fight the second one in any way, unless he can suddenly be in two places at once.

It was really quick, and easily missed, and they didn't address it because the episode ends pretty soon after.

There's no explanation yet. JMS on Twitter has said that it does mean something, though we just don't know what. Personally, I think there might have been another sensate involved in the fight that Sun somehow ended up in.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I noticed this too, and as the above poster said it means something

My guess was that whatever connects the sensates also connects other people, but more weakly, which is why you get twins or parents suddenly having premonitions about something happening remotely to their siblings/children. This connection might also extend to best friends and the like, again much more weakly than the sensates. This might have allowed her to sort of travel one step further on the sense network under the intensely stressful conditions presented. or something

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I got to watch Vertigo in a huge movie palace last week, and I liked that most of the shots where Scottie is following Madeleine in his car are of them driving downhill. It almost comes across as though downhill is the only direction you can go in San Francisco.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know if I was just hearing things, but when watching Dredd, the music in the scene where Maw maw falls to her death sounded familiar - When rewatching the scene, this is how I heard it: Dredd: "How do you plead?" *Releases Mawmaw to her fall* Music" Guiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllll*lands*tyyyyyyyyyy" Was I just hearing things, or was Mawmaws final line actually just defiantly crying guilty as she falls to her death under the effects of Slomo? It certainly sounds like if you sped it up it would sound close...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've never thought that and I've seen Dredd a couple times.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

http://metronews.ca/scene/374978/dredd-3d-might-make-you-a-belieber/

quote:

“Geoff Barrow from Portishead is a Dredd fan and he and over the years he’d been putting together music he wrote and put it together as an album called Drokk. Drokk is a swear word in the Dredd books. Anyway, when we were done shooting I showed Geoff an early cut of the film, and he pointed me towards this software he found that makes music run 800 times slower, just like the “slo-mo” drug does to its victims in the movie. He sent me a link to a Justin Bieber song slowed down 800 times and it became this stunning trippy choral music. The whole movie was temped to Justin Bieber, in fact. Paul recreated that Bieber music on his own and slowed it down 800 times and we use that in the movie.”

So this would be the inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4dTE-BWEOQ

This is the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-7N29puH3o

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Jan 16, 2017

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Please, somebody, speed up the Dredd version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

flatluigi posted:

Please, somebody, speed up the Dredd version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItOSsolA7uc