Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

http://gspe21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution-46.html

yeah, they kinda like merge tables that poo poo into one service

Business listings data © 2016 iPeen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
always with the dongles eh tim?

to be fair this is exactly the name i would pick for a company too

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
after years of constantly reporting a missing address through the apple maps app and to tomtom's website and getting no response, i finally got apple maps to put my street into their database by emailing a complaint to tim cook.

of course they put in exactly my street and not the two other ones one block over that i also told them were missing, but im sure the world's most valuable company is totally on top of this

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol apple maps is still such trash

ios 5 continued supremacy

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Stymie posted:

lol apple maps is still such trash

ios 5 continued supremacy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idk if you guys know this but you can use google maps on newer versions of ios

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

after years of constantly reporting a missing address through the apple maps app and to tomtom's website and getting no response, i finally got apple maps to put my street into their database by emailing a complaint to tim cook.

of course they put in exactly my street and not the two other ones one block over that i also told them were missing, but im sure the world's most valuable company is totally on top of this

in 2010 the city i live in demolished part of a road to build a park. the satellite imagery inside apple maps shows the park. apple maps still thinks the road exists.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
google maps had a portion of my neighborhood mapped wrong (had a street mapped as a cul de sac that was a through street). I used their feedback interface to easily report the issue and I think it was fixed not too long after that :shrugs:

thats my mapping experience

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

google maps had a portion of my neighborhood mapped wrong (had a street mapped as a cul de sac that was a through street). I used their feedback interface to easily report the issue and I think it was fixed not too long after that :shrugs:

thats my mapping experience

don't forget to make sure that Google (alphabet?) sends you your 1099 by January 15

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

openstreetmaps is my secret neckbearded goon nerd love open project, maps are cool, and the mess of ip around them is actually a bit disturbing for information we all have natural access to portions of

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah man its totally hosed UP that someone would want to recoup the cost of sending billions of dollars worth of satellites into space and then spending billions more on development and hosting of software to view the data.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

edit reread the post before shaggar please disregard.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yeah man its totally hosed UP that someone would want to recoup the cost of sending billions of dollars worth of satellites into space and then spending billions more on development and hosting of software to view the data.

capitalism is a cancer on the human spirit

also the point is more that when it comes down to mapping cities it really is a sort of plausible dream that communities could come together and keep a map updated as well, or better, than a commercial entity. for the large-scale it does come down to satellites, but it turns out not all entities are as strict on the capitalistic ideals as you shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only people who care about street mapping enough to put any work into it are commercial entities, both the companies on the streets being mapped and the companies doing the mapping. also that bing agreement is for satellite imagery only. birds eye and street view are explicitly forbidden from use. the goal being for people to use the images when updating open street maps content so that when Microsoft processes the changes into their own system the images and mapping correspond without any extra work.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

satelites are poo poo. triangulate maps, bitch

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pierogi posted:

satelites are poo poo. triangulate maps, bitch

gps is cool and very good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

like if you are traveling anywhere in the world you can find out your precise* location with a rudimentary receiver. that poo poo is amazing and faster than any other type of navigation.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

gps is cool and very good.

gps is maybe good to see where you are if there are no geodetic control network points anywhere around (lol) and even then you have to put your GPS receiver in one spot for 5 hours to begin to pretend that you got a good readout to start real mapmaking.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

the only people who care about street mapping enough to put any work into it are commercial entities, both the companies on the streets being mapped and the companies doing the mapping. also that bing agreement is for satellite imagery only. birds eye and street view are explicitly forbidden from use. the goal being for people to use the images when updating open street maps content so that when Microsoft processes the changes into their own system the images and mapping correspond without any extra work.

well, yeah, i assumed you meant the cost of getting satellite for the purposes of producing the (idealized vector) map, which is solved in that way. the rest of the information necessary for producing the vector map is down to a bit of actual local knowledge

mostly i see it as a situation pretty similar to wikipedia vs. real encyclopedias. encyclopedias, and "real" maps, don't keep up with the tiny little details and fringe information all that well, whereas wikipedia has a lot of trash, and is worse on any information they share, but covers a ridiculous amount of ground (i.e., the obvious effect of the workforce being more numerous than competent). i really do figure that osm could get into a similar position, containing far more information than any traditional map, providing a good complement, and a good starting point for more organized mapping efforts

granted i am biased due to the coverage of my old home town on osm being fantastic, being far more specific than e.g. gmaps on stuff like parking (separated for mc and bikes as well), footpaths, some weird one-way streets, as well as rather more niche stuff like archeological poi's, current construction, pieces of public art, etc. it is in fact at that point of good enough where writing this made me feel compelled to toss in a small edit to update the location of a liquor store that recently moved

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pierogi posted:

gps is maybe good to see where you are if there are no geodetic control network points anywhere around (lol) and even then you have to put your GPS receiver in one spot for 5 hours to begin to pretend that you got a good readout to start real mapmaking.

yeah proper surveying/mapmaking is not cheap, and as simple and comprehensive as osm seems, making it truly navigable (e.g. turn restrictions, signage, speeds, etc) is a non-trivial project

there's a reason almost every mapping product comes from a commercial company (and why many national mapping agencies don't release their maps in the public domain)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 2, 2017

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy
https://twitter.com/TyrannosaurusRi/status/816099142657196032

https://twitter.com/TyrannosaurusRi/status/816099225016512512

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Sep 7, 2016

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Pierogi posted:

who the gently caress cares about this

I enter an address and my phone tells me how to get there

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Pierogi posted:

what is wrong with you

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pierogi posted:

so you're saying I shouldn't use GPS to calculate civil twilight at my location?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Linguica posted:

so you're saying I shouldn't use GPS to calculate civil twilight at my location?

i am the twilight princess

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

who the gently caress cares about this

I enter an address and my phone tells me how to get there

uh, excuse me, i thought we were talking about making maps, specifically drawing over satellite data as an option in mapmaking. it's an option - if you like bad maps. use gps on your phone to do whatever you want in the privacy of your own basement.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
why do you need to make a map?

can't you just like...use bing?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

why do you need to make a map?

can't you just like...use bing?

i'm just voicing concerns for the openstreetmap community

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gotta get the retweets

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

beautiedge

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Pierogi posted:

i'm just voicing concerns for the openstreetmap community

gamergate pretenses are getting increasingly abstract nowadays

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

iphone 7S Edge

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
screen by samsung so it's just going to be the same screen lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

courage > beauty

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

beautiful

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

it will take samsung years to make an accurate copy of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg