Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

I love how these articles about what a genius Kidd is for putting him at PG never mention that Giannis was a PG for years on that weird greek team built to take advantage of his playmaking.

That article actually mentions it:

quote:

Antetokounmpo’s parents, sitting high in the stands, as their beanstalk son deftly ran the point for Filathlitikos in the Greek second division.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The true genius of Kidd is getting the occasional free sideline cocktail whenever a game is getting too boring to coach.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Libertine posted:

The true genius of Kidd is getting the occasional free sideline cocktail whenever a game is getting too boring to coach.
His finishing move in def jam vendetta would be splashing henny and coke in his opponents face and then bitch slapping them with a clipboard

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

euphronius posted:

We have a word it's called point forward.

Already mentioned.

advanced stats community considers this two words

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

EvanTH posted:

advanced stats community considers this two words
lol

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that sees no value in Giannis as a PG? A guy like him is better served as a wing, PF, or even Center as you want as many ball handlers as possible on the same court. Plus the fact that he's their best rim protector.

He mostly plays next to Jabari as the other forward, so Giannis is playing more of the inside D (though this is matchup dependent). He also plays next to Beasley and Teletovic, both guys who don't defend bigs very well. When it makes sense Giannis is defending the interior as mostly a weakside guy. I don't think you want him bodying down low too much, he spends most of his energy on offense.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that sees no value in Giannis as a PG? A guy like him is better served as a wing, PF, or even Center as you want as many ball handlers as possible on the same court. Plus the fact that he's their best rim protector.

When they say Giannis is playing point guard they just mean he is running their offense. He is actually playing the 3 or 4 most of the time.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 3, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

we really need an nba version of def jam vendetta

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

straight up brolic posted:

I'd be okay with even just a new version of Def Jam Vendetta

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

intro cinematic for the storyline is an animated version of Soulja boy's clearly fabricated story about shooting people coming into his studio

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Looking forward to Simmons giannis match ups

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

True life I would buy a game where I could play as Russel Westbrook beating the poo poo out of Kevin Durant for like 200$

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

I'm pretty sure we already know the answer here.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm pretty sure we already know?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner posted:

That article actually mentions it:

I stand corrected..

Blind Pineapple posted:

Advanced Stats Question: What does win shares take into account that PER/BPM/VORP don't?

With Russell Westbrook averaging 31/10/10 into January, you'd think that would break some of the advanced stats. He's leading PER by a little bit, is running away with BPM on a record-setting pace, and has a healthy lead on VORP. In WS and WS/48, he's 10 or so, and Harden's leading the league in both.

Getting back to this, everything ultimately comes from box score stats.

Harden is 120 ORTG, 106 DRTG, Westbrook is 110 ORTG, 103 DRTG. Their defensive win shares are about equal. As far as component stats go, they are both similar is steals and block rates, both are above-average defensive rebounders, although Westbrook's DR% is much higher. Without getting into their numbers more, I can't really tell why Harden's DRTG is nearly as good as Westbrook's. Defensive BPM likes Westbrook's defense a lot more than Harden's. My eyes tell me that they're both decent on the ball defenders and lazy off the ball defenders, but I wouldn't put numbers on this.

The big difference, and the answer to what you're getting at, is that Harden's efficiency is so far above average, that it offset's Westbrook's marginally above average efficiency but much higher usage. Harden has 6.1 offensive win shares, Westbrook has 3.6. This probably tracks their actual contributions closely IMO. Harden's TS% is 61% to Westbrook's 53%. IOW Harden is 7% above average (1.2 standard deviations) while Westbrook is exactly average. ORTG rewards higher usage, so Westbrook gets a bump from that, but from these numbers he is a player who is an average scorer who takes a billion shots, not enough to offset a player who takes slightly less than a billion shots but is very efficient.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tarbrush posted:

I'm pretty sure we already know?

We think we know.

Who knows if the Bulls have truly found the bottom of the well. Will they be able to keep digging past the bedrock and reach never before seen lows.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Even though Westbrook always puts up crazy numbers, has lots of triple doubles, and makes crazy explosive plays, I never considered him as important to his team as other stars

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jack's Flow posted:

2 dumb

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Even though Westbrook always puts up crazy numbers, has lots of triple doubles, and makes crazy explosive plays, I never considered him as important to his team as other stars

If the thunder didn't have Westbrook they would have somewhere between 5-8 wins.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Paul Zuvella posted:

If the thunder didn't have Westbrook they would have somewhere between 5-8 wins.

And if the Rockets didn't have Harden they would have negative wins, they would owe opponents a win from next season.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

dokmo posted:

And if the Rockets didn't have Harden they would have negative wins, they would owe opponents a win from next season.

Let me tell you about Chinanu Onuaku and his 47.5 PER*

*in 8 minutes

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So I stole this topic from Reddit, but it's a good one. What is going on with the 2016 draft class? Embiid has ROY sewn up already, but the guys drafted in 2016 haven't been very good.

http://www.basketball-reference.com....0&order_by=per

Brogdon and Siakam are by far the best in the class right now, and that seems...disappointing.

Compare that with the end of year numbers from last year (which was a strong year, and I expect players this year will get better. I don't think I can filter by just the first few months with BBR)

Guys like Bobby Portis would have the best numbers of any draftee if he came out this year.

2014 (which was considered kind of a down year) is also much better

Now obviously we don't have the #1 overall pick yet, but at this point he may not put up enough games to get a good sample. Very disappointing rookie class.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Jack's Flow posted:

2 dumb

edit: dangit modulus

UTAH GET ME TWO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vsas7JI4quw

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Paul Zuvella posted:

When they say Giannis is playing point guard they just mean he is running their offense. He is actually playing the 3 or 4 most of the time.

If it was good enough for Don Nelson and Paul Pressey, it's good enough for Giannis. :colbert:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

He's incredibly important to OKC. Too important, in fact.

I'm one of those fans that values efficiency. To me right now, Harden is a much better player than Russ. Harden is the best player in the league outside of the ridiculous outlier King Lebron James.

But Russ is everything for OKC, and the only reason that they are 6 games over .500.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

predicto posted:

He's incredibly important to OKC. Too important, in fact.

I'm one of those fans that values efficiency. To me right now, Harden is a much better player than Russ. Harden is the best player in the league outside of the ridiculous outlier King Lebron James.

But Russ is everything for OKC, and the only reason that they are 6 games over .500.

Rockets have the 4th best record in the league and they'd be a basement dweller without Harden.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Lockback posted:

Rockets have the 4th best record in the league and they'd be a basement dweller without Harden.

Absolutely. Harden is a complete stud. Russ is the most exciting player in the association, but Harden is a better and more valuable player.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lockback posted:

I think this team would be similar to the teams prior to harden that hovered around the 8th seed, tbh.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

predicto posted:

Absolutely. Harden is a complete stud. Russ is the most exciting player in the association, but Harden is a better and more valuable player.

But how do you define "valuable"?

I'm just kidding, please don't have this discussion

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Time posted:

I think this team would be similar to the teams prior to harden that hovered around the 8th seed, tbh.

Really? The Thunder are the 7th seed, so a bit below them? I don't see how a team of Beverly/Gordon/Ariza/Anderson/Capela is a .500 team at all, I'd think that team would be closer to the Mavericks. Maybe a .333 win percentage. Guys like Gordon, Ariza and Capela are having good seasons BECAUSE of Harden. You start asking those guys to carry the team I think they all turn into pumpkins.

I'd take the rest of OKC over the rest of Houston.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yeeeeesh I don't know

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The rest of OKC contains Steve Adams so yeah me too.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

euphronius posted:

We have a word it's called point forward.

Already mentioned.

and lest you think you can just chuck anyone with decent handles at PG and have them do what Giannis is, look at the cautionary tale of terrence williams

http://www.si.com/vault/2009/03/16/105787317/from-this-point-forward

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Lockback posted:

Really? The Thunder are the 7th seed, so a bit below them? I don't see how a team of Beverly/Gordon/Ariza/Anderson/Capela is a .500 team at all, I'd think that team would be closer to the Mavericks. Maybe a .333 win percentage. Guys like Gordon, Ariza and Capela are having good seasons BECAUSE of Harden. You start asking those guys to carry the team I think they all turn into pumpkins.

I actually think this team looks about on par with some of the roleplayer only squads that morey built before he got harden. Much better on offense, much worse on defense. Maybe not straight up 8th but I think they could get 38 wins

Like this team:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2011.html

Goran Dragic barely played, Yao was out for the year, and they relied on hustle big men and Kevin Martin for defense and scoring. I think pat bev/Eric Gordon/Ryan Anderson is probably as good of a top three guys as those roleplayer teams. Less depth now though

Time fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 3, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK SI put Giannis on the cover in the issue that article is in. :rip:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's important to be able to shoot the ball into the hoop in the game of basketball, therefore I would take the Rockets roster sans Harden vs the OKC roster sans Westbrook

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tae posted:

They don't think Jimmy Butler is a good enough player to build around, judging by their moves and trade rumor.

It's too bad they are so inept. If they had gone after some solid role players instead of Wade and Rondo they would actually be pretty good. Letting E'twuan Moore go was dumb. They should have targeted backcourt guys who could shoot like Gordon and Delladova. Heck, I'd take DJ Augustin over any of the point guards this team has now.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Yeah, I've been pleasantly surprised with Moore this season.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lockback posted:

2016 draft :words:

I think it's a combination of a lot of the top picks being really young projects and landing in some less than ideal situations. It's not strange for it to be the first half of the season and the highest performing rookies are guys who are like 22-24 year olds. I don't know, that's about all I could immediately take away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Bogut will now be coming off the bench. I assume that means either Powell, Mejri, or my man Finney-Smith will start.

• Locked thread