Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Verisimilidude posted:

What do y'all use to carry your tools around? Got a decent knife roll, but I'm looking for something to bring my non-knife tools to private events. Something that looks professional is preferred.

I used to use a small black Plano tackle box. Plenty of room for all my decorating tools, and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Verisimilidude posted:

What do y'all use to carry your tools around? Got a decent knife roll, but I'm looking for something to bring my non-knife tools to private events. Something that looks professional is preferred.

Toolbox. Works for general storage too.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
Hey chefs,

Happy new year. Y'all are great. Be safe, feed people good food, and I'll see you all next year.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I also swung by to wish you all a plumbing failure free, fully staffed, mandatory overtime and unnecessary drama free New Year full of triumph, good food, and all the free high quality alcohol you can cadge!

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Samizdata posted:

I also swung by to wish you all a plumbing failure free, fully staffed, mandatory overtime and unnecessary drama free New Year full of triumph, good food, and all the free high quality alcohol you can cadge!

Too loving soon, Samiz.

Tomorrow I have to pick up the pieces of my least liked coworker's lack of work ethic due to the fact that we don't have a late night dishwasher and the casual quit because the douchebag of a coworker basically intimidated her and never made an effort to ease her into the job and gotten into many arguments over what are they supposed to do that I got fed up and took over for them to keep things running. Our twat of a boss' solution is just give the late shift an extra half to fill in the position but in reality the coworkers involved (except me) just leaves everything unwashed for me to handle as I do work on both the front and back since we work for a catering company.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

gyrobot posted:

Too loving soon, Samiz.

Tomorrow I have to pick up the pieces of my least liked coworker's lack of work ethic due to the fact that we don't have a late night dishwasher and the casual quit because the douchebag of a coworker basically intimidated her and never made an effort to ease her into the job and gotten into many arguments over what are they supposed to do that I got fed up and took over for them to keep things running. Our twat of a boss' solution is just give the late shift an extra half to fill in the position but in reality the coworkers involved (except me) just leaves everything unwashed for me to handle as I do work on both the front and back since we work for a catering company.

Sorry?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thank god the Holidays are over.

I love them because the money is great and all but poo poo it gets busy.

Hope everyone survived and let's rock out 2017

:megadeath:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Happy New Year, goons. May your new years be full of not working brunch today.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Naelyan posted:

Happy New Year, goons. May your new years be full of not working brunch today.

Too bad in my case my worst fears came true. Four tubs of unwashed and baked in dishes thanks to my rear end in a top hat coworkers for that shift

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I get stuff in the mail addressed to "Chef CdC." Does that mean I've finally made it?

In other news, I think it's about time I start shopping around for an exec position.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Walked up the the restaurant for my solo prep day to find one of the fire suppression sprayers dumping water and the whole building flooded. Called the owners, got the water shut off. poo poo's gonna be interesting for a while.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh man that's gonna be bad.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

oh, poo poo

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Faulty sprayer head on our suppression system. Security footage shows that it blew around 11:15 last night. 1/2 inch of water on the entire upstairs dining area, all running into the basement. Insurance company is closed today, so we'll get a full assessment tomorrow. We're closed until further notice, owners are fleshing out the details of our financial situation right now. It's funny, the bank bought our building a little over a month ago, which put another layer of insurance on the whole thing. It sounds like the previous building owner knew the sprinkler heads needed to be replaced and never did it, so we'll see how that shakes out. Either way, it's a huge shitshow.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Faulty sprayer head on our suppression system. Security footage shows that it blew around 11:15 last night. 1/2 inch of water on the entire upstairs dining area, all running into the basement. Insurance company is closed today, so we'll get a full assessment tomorrow. We're closed until further notice, owners are fleshing out the details of our financial situation right now. It's funny, the bank bought our building a little over a month ago, which put another layer of insurance on the whole thing. It sounds like the previous building owner knew the sprinkler heads needed to be replaced and never did it, so we'll see how that shakes out. Either way, it's a huge shitshow.

gat dam that's terrible

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Good luck on your job hunt, Olds.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
We always had the one joke rule in the kitchen -- if the Ansul system went off, you're loving fired. I guess water isn't AS bad, but, ugh.

Also today marks the six year anniversary of when I pulled my spine out of my rear end and decided to get out of the industry. Six months later I was headin back to school.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
drat, has it been six years already? That's when I doubled down and went into cocktail bar tending.

In short, get out, kids.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Turkeybone posted:

We always had the one joke rule in the kitchen -- if the Ansul system went off, you're loving fired. I guess water isn't AS bad, but, ugh.

Also today marks the six year anniversary of when I pulled my spine out of my rear end and decided to get out of the industry. Six months later I was headin back to school.

This happened at one of my jobs and dude didn't get fired even though security footage shows him leaning on a wall hitting on a famale barback while the fire starts and spreads behind him

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

poo poo like that is why I love this industry.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
-gets settled into new job-
-enjoys it-
-slips a disc-

Fml

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

We once had a guy who set the ansul off twice in the course of about 3 months. Both times were about, oh, 730 or so on a friday night. He did not get fired. I dont work there either anymore, which has, so far, been a wonderful life choice.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Silver Nitrate posted:

-gets settled into new job-
-enjoys it-
-slips a disc-

Fml

Jesus loving Christ, I'm sorry because I know that is a horrible thing to have happen.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You guys like pastrami as much as I do?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yes, but unfortunately you ruined that one. Let me PM you my address so you can send it to me, so I can dispose of the evidence.

GodDAMN that looks delicious

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Pretty sure I like it MORE than you do. I might kill a man for some good REAL pastrami.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Pretty sure I like it MORE than you do. I might kill a man for some good REAL pastrami.

plz don't kill me. kthx.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

plz don't kill me. kthx.

Mkay. Won't.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
We reopen Sunday. Still no schedule. "Can you come in tomorrow, and we'll talk about it?"

I miss my old sous. :(

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.
Double #5 today because the only other cook had a full keg fall on his toe 10 minutes into his Monday shift. I'm the only one who knows how to open, prep, run, and close my station... Not even the sous or exec or chef/owner can.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Well sir. You are a valuable commodity to this business and we appreciate the time you put in.

Thank you and enjoy the day.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Full keg on his toe? Ouch.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Shooting Blanks posted:

Full keg on his toe? Ouch.

no loving kidding. We talking a half-keg or a full 50L, because that's a trip to the hospital if I ever heard of one

don't suppose you guys have to wear steels?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JawKnee posted:

no loving kidding. We talking a half-keg or a full 50L, because that's a trip to the hospital if I ever heard of one

That much weight might crush the steel toe also, leading to an amputated toe.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

as far as I know that's a myth

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, a full keg is nothing compared to the poo poo that will hit a toe on like a construction site.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Skwirl posted:

If it's enough to crush the toe of a steeltoe boot, your toe's traumatically amputated by the impact anyway. This is like "in an impact you're better off being thrown clear of the car so don't wear a seatbelt."

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl, are you ever going to post the <restaurant> story?

nuru fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 10, 2017

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

JawKnee posted:

Half-keg from about a half meter height... And no, we don't wear steels. There's a shitload of keg racks and storage devices that arrived today, though, for some odd reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Half-keg from about a half meter height... And no, we don't wear steels. There's a shitload of keg racks and storage devices that arrived today, though, for some odd reason.

i always wore steels because i like my toes.

• Locked thread