Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I've never done it but bow hunting is a lot harder and a much better way to avoid the crowds from what I understand. I've been rifle hunting before during deer season and every year you get to hear about how some drunk assholes killed someone's pet because "it looked like a deer". Unfortunately rifle season is like redneck burning man to some people and they use that weekend to party near high-powered rifles and shoot anything that moves while trespassing on land that isn't theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Also in the case of certain animals, hunting is vital to keep their population down. Feral hogs are the typical example, to the point where people have done hog hunting from a helicopter with full auto assault rifles and light machine guns. They're not natural to the areas they're hunted in and wreck the ecosystem, so they need regular culling through human intervention.

Yea, once I learned this, hunting become not a problem to me at all. Turns out hunting is win-win-win, they help keep the populations in check, the state makes money on selling hunting permits, and people get cheap meat!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Any hunter I've know donates a good deal of meat to charity and/or was generous with the bounty among friends and family. What else are you going to do with 150 lbs of meat in a food-rich society?

Getting clean heart or lung shots so the animal dies quickly is important, both to minimize the suffering of the prey and the hunter. Do you want to chase a game animal an extra two miles through trackless terrain just so you can drag it back out again? gently caress no, you don't.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Any hunter I've know donates a good deal of meat to charity and/or was generous with the bounty among friends and family. What else are you going to do with 150 lbs of meat in a food-rich society?

Getting clean heart or lung shots so the animal dies quickly is important, both to minimize the suffering of the prey and the hunter. Do you want to chase a game animal an extra two miles through trackless terrain just so you can drag it back out again? gently caress no, you don't.

Having easy access to fresh meat is amazing. My fiancee's from a farming family that sells their produce at two farmers markets in the Orlando area, and we're always able to come in and get some free groceries. There's nothing quite like waking up at 9:00 AM, driving 2 miles away, and coming back with ribeye and bell peppers the size of a baby's head for free to cook for lunch.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

lohli posted:

I can see savage being related directly related to the cooking and leatherworking, and the point about using everything from the animal, which I can totally see a particularly insane vegan being totally incensed about, rather than the native thing, which I think is a coincidence that makes a value judgement look like racism. She's certainly crazy enough to warrant cutting off completely, either way.

Maybe it's because it's the personal perspective I have but savage has a lot of historical context in particular when applied to indigenous people; whether or not psycho vegan is conscious of that just makes it either completely tone deaf or extra malicious

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I would think a narcissistic vegan would have at least seen Disney's Pocahontas, in which there is an entire song where the colonists call the natives savages that need to be genocided

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hunting is absolutely a social death sentence among a considerable proportion of the faux intelligentsia but who gives a poo poo

Oh noooo I'm going to miss out on so many conversations with people who only watch British TV

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
My fiance's [29 M] best friend [28 F] tried on my wedding dress (and damaged it) behind my [29 F] back. I want to handle this sensitive issue properly.

She is 4'11" and the friend is 5'11". Who would do that???

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Did she ask the fiance if it was okay because uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm not a big fan of hunting as giving me a lethal weapon is a very bad idea

But most of coworkers hunt so more power to them

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"we even stretched our budget to the extreme to buy a house in a redone university area so I could walk and drink wine with them on a near daily basis"

cmon guys. cmon. its fake.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

Did she ask the fiance if it was okay because uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nope - she was drunk at a party and livestreaming the party and the OP saw the stream and stormed over there. I dunno the text isn't that interesting but I can post it if you want.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

My dad loves to hunt and is pretty right-wing. His brother-in-law is a very left-wing botany professor in Massachusetts. Many times I remember them arguing about gun control and hunting = unnecessary etc. at family gatherings.

Then, the deer population around my uncle's house started soaring right around the time he got into growing his own vegetables (he's an amazing cook). Those long-legged mice wrecked extreme havoc on his garden no matter what humane deterrents he tried. Finally he admitted to my dad he dug out an old .22 rifle from the attic and shot one of those fuckers right in the temple, out of his bathroom window so the neighbors wouldn't hear. He called to ask the best way to dress it. After that, he got into bow hunting so he could shoot them off his back porch. Now he's bagged considerably more deer than my dad and they're much better friends.

(The name of all the deer was Albert Einstein.)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Themata posted:

IT'S A PRANK, IT'S A PRANK SIS

I like OP tries to come off like she's the mature one, but instead seems to be completely insufferable.

"I'm a tall and hot model who knows that beauty is only skin deep. Aren't I just sooo grown up? Also I tell her alllll the time now she's beautiful, even though in my post I say she's uglier than me lol" :bigtran:
I hope she's getting roasted in the comments

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually pretty telling about their relationship that she has to continually affirm that she's still the prettier one. If I were her sister I'd loving hate her guts too.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Me [29/F] with my husband[31/M] married 7 years, he is contemptuous of me despite my efforts to be honest and loving. What to do?Relationships
submitted 5 hours ago by appliaburner
In August, my husband and I had a bad fight in which I felt very frightened and left for a few days with the kids. He agreed to counseling and I came home, and we were working on it.
In about mid-December, things got very bad again despite no big events of life-changes or even fights. I've been willing to own my contributions to conflict, have been apologetic, have been working to use "good communication" skills like listening, repeating emotions, not flinging back defenses or insults, etc. I'm not perfect of course, but I've made a huge effort not to deal insult back for insult.
I've ceded ground on topics that were important to me. I agreed to withdrawal our son from preschool. I've agreed to look for a job (I am a stay-at-home mom), as per his request. I've been listening to his concerns about house maintenance and organization.
No matter what I do, he goes back to that I "lied" when I left the house b/c I accused him of "pinning me down." I accept now that although he did sit on my legs and say horrible things to me, that I didn't tell him I was scared or ask to get up, so he did not hold me against my will. But this isn't enough of a retraction.
Daily, he says he wants a divorce, he doesn't want to go out with me because "it would give the illusion of being a real couple," that it's "too late" for our kids' parents (us) to have a good relationship. We've been married 7.5 years, and have had ups and downs, but I hope for a return to the good times.
I am devastated and at a loss for how to respond in a fair, loving, reasonable way.
tl;dr: despite counseling and my efforts to use "good communication," my husband is dismissive and contemptuous of me. How should I respond?

murder

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Hunting is absolutely a social death sentence among a considerable proportion of the faux intelligentsia but who gives a poo poo

Oh noooo I'm going to miss out on so many conversations with people who only watch British TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3c45T1hc3k

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Pick posted:

murder

man that story is just clear abuse :smith:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
real or not that hunting one was such a LOL WHITE PEOPLE post with both spouses

IM JUST LISTENING TO JOE ROGAN N LEARNING ABOUT HUNTING
OH MY STARS, WHAT WILL PORTLANDIA THINK

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Run away Elli, run away as fast as you can

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My male best friend [29 M] called me bro [25F] I really like him as more than a friend. Can I ever get out of the friendzone

I like this guy and for the first time he called me "bro". We have been friends for many years and I've grown to have a crush on him. But I feel like he has friendzoned me hard ever since he mentioned the work "bro." He even said he didn't want to be in a committed relationship with anyone. I feel like it was meant for me and I strongly feel I can never get out of the friendzone.

Has anyone gotten out of the friendzone in relation to a similar situation like this? If it didn't work out, how did you get over the person?

tl;dr Like by guy friend, but he brozoned me. Not sure what to do.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Sorry girl you're in the brozone layer

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It seems pretty easy for this girl to test her friend zone level by just asking if he'd like to have sex with her.

Men aren't mind readers, maybe he's not picking up on what she's putting down.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

54 40 or gently caress posted:

^^^^thats the casein my town, the deer population is dangerously high. Plus people keep feeding them from their yards so they're becoming a nuisance and a hazard in terms of traffic. Moose however is the opposite but that's being remedied by having moose tags be insanely expensive and hard to get

Yeah I'm vegetarian and my husband is vegan, I don't like trophy hunting but hunting for food, to me, is preferable to buying into the totally hosed up factory farming industry. If her holier than thou professor friends can't divorce themselves from someone else's personal life and will throw them out of the social circle, then maybe she needs new friends anyway.

Having a high deer population overflowing the ecosystem is also bad because at a certain point the loser deer who can't successfully forage food because the other deer ate it all start to starve to death. Then you have all of these emaciated deer with visible ribcages stumbling out of the woods and making everyone really sad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

It seems pretty easy for this girl to test her friend zone level by just asking if he'd like to have sex with her.

Men aren't mind readers, maybe he's not picking up on what she's putting down.

She can't though, that's the ultimate humiliation for a woman, offering no-strings-attached sex and being turned down. If you fail there you have to join a nunnery.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

She can't though, that's the ultimate humiliation for a woman, offering no-strings-attached sex and being turned down. If you fail there you have to join a nunnery.

It's called a convent

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A friend of my boyfriend's was gushing about this cute guy that installed an appliance at her place and was "overtly flirty" and gave her his number. We finally convinced her to give him a call and it turns out it was for tech support of the appliance didn't work. She got customer-zoned.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
As other posters have mentioned, the vast majority of hunters aren't doing it to sate some psychotic bloodlust. Bow hunters in particular are especially careful not to take a bad shot and cause unnecessary suffering; every one of them I've known routinely passes up questionable shots.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

A friend of my boyfriend's was gushing about this cute guy that installed an appliance at her place and was "overtly flirty" and gave her his number. We finally convinced her to give him a call and it turns out it was for tech support of the appliance didn't work. She got customer-zoned.

the guy who installed my cable asked me why we wanted such fast Internet and I said I like streaming Netflix and crunchyroll and then he started going on about anime and now we're friends

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Principals Orifice posted:

It's called a convent

A convent is specifically a community of mendicants, a nunnery is a community of female monastics.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

A convent is specifically a community of mendicants, a nunnery is a community of female monastics.

i don't care

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

don't correct someone when you don't know the right answer, oyster-boy

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Me [M/19] wants to meet in real life with girlfriend [F/28] - but we can't, parents are in the way.

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

don't correct someone when you don't know the right answer, oyster-boy

lol

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently you do since you corrected him. :ironicat:

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

Anony Mouse posted:

Apparently you do since you corrected him. :ironicat:

Hey man pick is a lady

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ride The Gravitron posted:

My male best friend [29 M] called me bro [25F] I really like him as more than a friend. Can I ever get out of the friendzone

I like this guy and for the first time he called me "bro". We have been friends for many years and I've grown to have a crush on him. But I feel like he has friendzoned me hard ever since he mentioned the work "bro." He even said he didn't want to be in a committed relationship with anyone. I feel like it was meant for me and I strongly feel I can never get out of the friendzone.

Has anyone gotten out of the friendzone in relation to a similar situation like this? If it didn't work out, how did you get over the person?

I got curious and looked at her profile. She's submitted this exact thing three times. This one has more detail:

quote:

I have known this guy for 11 years and have always had a crush on him since I was 14. But the thing is, I was never sure how he felt about me because he always gave me confusing signals. Some things I've noticed:
He would always ask to meet up with me for coffee last year and would want to know what was happening in my life. He would send me selfies (fully clothed lol) and pictures of what he does in his day. He would also share a lot with me in terms of what he does in his day. We would act as each other's support system and be there for each other even if we didn't get to see each other much. He jokingly said I should come visit him in London when he moves there and how we should travel around Europe together. Whenever he is busy with work (he works as an accountant), he said to me "you know you can annoy me, I won't mind. Just like how I'll unhesitatingly annoy you, and you wont mind!" or "I am free at work, after work or even lunchtime to meet up" or "you are one of the few people I would go all out of my way out for." He has also given me good relationship advice in the past and has always been overprotective over me.
However, one time when I talked to him about having an older brother, he jokingly said "That's just like me, right?" I told him that I never thought of him as my older brother. And he said " okay, you're as close as a younger sister as I could probably get to" (this was only once) and then recently he said to me "cool as bro." So yea I'm really confused because I'm not sure if he likes me as a sister or as one of the guys? I feel like as if he has friendzoned me hard.
BUT THEN this happened 4 weeks before xmas I really wanted to meet up with him, but he would always say I'm busy and I would always tell him it was okay and how much I understood. He was resigning from his job and his company was moving offices. He even said to me "unfortunately we have to prioritise people and things." As a result I backed off and carried on with my own life, mainly because I thought he lost interest in me. Then one day on his Instagram I saw that this girl (who already has a bf) from his workplace had tagged him in two photos-one was on a coffee meet up they had had and the other was a cake they had made for their xmas tea party. And she was flirting with him hard on Instagram which made me upset. As a result, I got jealous and confronted him about it and asked if they were going out. He said no. But then when I asked if he was going to ask her out, he said "Oh. um, maybe?" Even though I liked him, I told him he had my blessing, but if she ever did hurt him, I wouldn't like it.
Then last week when we met up for lunch, his attitude changed towards me. He got all mean and started to ask questions about whether my ex bf and I were still together because we work together in hospital. I told him it was over months ago and that there was nothing between us. But then no matter how much I tried to convince my friend, I came to have the impression that he must really hate me because he was all cold and emotionless towards me. So I started to cry and I asked him why he was acting like a prick to me. He quickly apologised and afterwards at the end of our meetup when I was ready to walk out, he offered to walk me home and drop me off. But I felt so upset with him and told him to leave me alone and go. Later that day he apologised to me and said "I didn't mean to come off as an arrogant jerk btw, you should know me better than that I would go out of my way to hurt you and act like a prick towards you."
So yea, do you guys know if he likes me as more than a friend or not? I'm just so upset with how he acted towards me and have no idea why he did that!
tl;dr: I like my male friend, but I'm not sure if he likes me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Now I'm seriously paranoid that this is about me
Don't judge me it's Southern California bro

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Principals Orifice posted:

the guy who installed my cable asked me why we wanted such fast Internet and I said I like streaming Netflix and crunchyroll and then he started going on about anime and now we're friends

Isn't that the plot of a Jim Carrey movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

A nunnery is also a slang term for a brothel.