Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

XK posted:

That elevator looked pretty trashy, too, and was out of certification. I guess that's how much money you make working for CIG, while still having another job. Santa Monica isn't cheap, though, but still.

They could also have cut his hours. I mean, he's a media face for them right? So if they've decided to shift away from hours and hours of mindless streaming, then they probably cut him down to part-time.

From a business standpoint that doesn't give a poo poo about employees, it only makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

D_Smart posted:

Clearly you're ignorant and behind the curve if you don't know that until it becomes a reality, everything - and anything - about Star Citizen is all conjecture. And that includes the premise that they are actually making a game.

There is no doubt they are making a game, they are just making a lovely game thanks to poor planning, over promising, and spending money faster than they are taking it in. It doesn't exactly take Nostradamus to see the project is hosed; even without "inside sources".

But please continue blogging about how "big things are going to happen" and being vague on the details. For no other reason than making the SC cultists squirm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

spacetoaster posted:

Ok. Who's going to contact him?

Beer, you're a cool guy. Think you could convince him to start a kickstarter?

I'm reasonably sure that he actively loathes me, although for whatever reason he hasn't blocked my Twitter account yet.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not everyone signs a NDA when they leave.

Plus lawsuit subpoena depositions trump them anyway

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

True, but I was just helping MoMa with his memory, seeing as the cat ate his notes apparently.

that was ben

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

intardnation posted:

that was ben

wait! Ben ate the cat who ate MoMA's notes?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm reasonably sure that he actively loathes me, although for whatever reason he hasn't blocked my Twitter account yet.

Ok, does it have to be Disco? I know Ben isn't going to do it. Is there anybody else that'd be in a position to know all the good stuff, but be screwed enough to be willing to dish?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Tippis posted:

Why is everyone so angry all of a sudden? :gonk:

Because Moma/Toast has already a mini-meltdown after 2 posts. He used to last longer.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Ok. From what I hear, there will likely be one more 2.6 drop (2.6.1), which should include the first iteration of the "mega-map." That will be the primary test-bed for the Stanton (?) release in 3.0. There will be multiple stations, at least one full system to traverse as well as enhanced quantum travel and flight mechanics. My notes are still pretty vague, but hey: it's more than anyone else with a "source" on this gay thread, right?

Hey guys, guys! Remember when Toast predicted CIG showing a SQ42 demo at the last streaming? Good times.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

spacetoaster posted:

Is there a way to fund this? I'm being serious.

I'd throw down a 20 for a completely honest interview/book.

We could all submit the questions we'd like answered, the mods (beer, beet) could winnow out the best ones, and Jared must answer them fully to get the pot o' money.

Or hell, he could start a kickstarter for the tell all (it could just be a long blog post and save him the money/time of printing) with the amount of money he'd want to spill the beans.

Or any CIG employee if Jared doesn't want money.

I've never kickstarted anything, but I would totally throw down some funds for Jared to write a book about all this.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

XK posted:

I've never kickstarted anything, but I would totally throw down some funds for Jared to write a book about all this.

Just print the thread and throw it in a three ring binder.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

Will it have all of this

Dont forget the new netcode.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Meridian posted:

I'm not reading all that poo poo.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

I was actually enjoying my holiday break off and not tweeting endlessly like a dumb-gently caress.

Welcome back! I hope your holiday was good? I see you return in great form :v

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Meridian posted:

Appendix VII: Catte Photos
Appendix VIII: :gary:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

Dont forget the new netcode.

Is it still StarNetwork though, or has it been refactored into LumberNet?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Appendix VII: Catte Photos
Appendix VIII: :gary:

Appendix VI: :kayak:

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Chris/CIG featured in another commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI_O-YiW2o8

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Pfftt...Ha ha ha. I know, I know, deadhorse. But that image is pretty good.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:shrug:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God damnit. They better not use Chris the Thumbman to try and get me to upgrade my internet...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Daztek posted:

Will it have all of this

BASIC PROFESSION FUNCTIONS

Trading – Be able to buy/sell commodities via kiosks and NPCs among the various landing zones.

Cargo Transport – Pick up hauling jobs between landing zones. Automatic cargo load/unload, manual cargo transport.

Piracy and Smuggling – Establish secure/non-secure areas. AI Security response to attacks. Add the ability to retrieve floating cargo from destroyed ships. Create buy/sell system for illicit cargo.

Mercenary – Create Service Beacon System (for Combat Assist Contracts). Create AI distress scenarios.

Bounty Hunter – Accept missions to terminate wanted players and NPCs.

Likely results of how CIG will market the above, vs. what it will actually be:

Statement: - Trading – Be able to buy/sell commodities via kiosks and NPCs among the various landing zones.
CIG Description - Get ready to be Space Trump as you leverage your keen space business sense to make sensible decisions on buying and selling commodities, using real rules of supply and demand to maximize profits and have a deep impact on how the economy functions. Expect your purchases and sales to have a real impact on the game world. Selling guns to a space station under siege can turn the tide of battle!
Actual Implementation: - Exchange imaginary money to imaginary "commodities" which will simply be different names in a database which will not only have no impact on the game universe in any way, but no differentiation from each other as well. Did you buy 100 "units" of space weed and 150 "units" of silicon? Hopefully "Persistence 2.0" can remember how to join SQL tables.

Statement: - Cargo Transport – Pick up hauling jobs between landing zones. Automatic cargo load/unload, manual cargo transport.
CIG Description - The excitement of Space Trucking has arrived in the 'Verse! Use your specialized transport vessel to decide on lucrative trade routes, pick the safest route for guaranteed but marginal profits, or take risks with a more efficient route through a contested sector. You can have cargo robots load/unload automatically, or for added immersion you can control your spaceman who is controlling his hands to load/unload cargo and pack in your vessel the way you see fit, making sure fragile space items don't get crushed by heavier goods.
Actual Implementation: - Exchange imaginary money to imaginary "commodities" and "load them in your ship" which will mean pushing <<USE>> on the loading platform. Your ship's "inventory" will then reflect these "items." If they're feeling really ambitious they might decide to put generic crates in your loading bay that represent this "cargo" but don't hold your breath. Fly somewhere else and push <<USE>> again to complete the delivery.

Statement: - Piracy and Smuggling – Establish secure/non-secure areas. AI Security response to attacks. Add the ability to retrieve floating cargo from destroyed ships. Create buy/sell system for illicit cargo.
CIG Description - Get ready to be Han Solo as you outfit your Constellation to do the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. In space everyone will know your name as you swoop between asteroids, avoiding space turrets with your name on them, and terrorizing innocent B'Taks while you scoop up the goods from their debris. You'll have to think fast and find lawless stations to dump illicit cargo, but the rewards are all the greater for your bravery in facing down hostile AI ships all programmed with your unique 'Verse space social security number. All in a day's work, pirate.
Actual Implementation: - Turrets that either don't work or will kill you instantly will be near stations, and will shoot at you based on whether or not a flag is set reflecting if you've killed another player recently. Flying near cargo in space will make them despawn while a number in your cargo inventory goes up. Items will have a boolean variable for "illicit" and you can only sell them in select places. We're hoping to get with Bethesda to ask them how they did this in Skyrim.

Statement: - Mercenary – Create Service Beacon System (for Combat Assist Contracts). Create AI distress scenarios.
CIG Description - Don't go it alone! Bring beacons along that will allow you to call for assistance if stranded, under attack, or if you want to host and impromptu space party! But be careful, responding to a signal just might be a Vanduul trap, as you warp into what you think is a friendly assist and wind up surrounded by hostile forces! Will you fight or flee, pilot?
Actual Implementation: - Create a dot on a map that players can navigate to and find your isolated, friendless rear end floating in space saying "HI" over the comm every 30 seconds. Fly to NPC dots on the map that will be a single ship in space with an NPC broadcasting "Thank god your[sic] here" or a single pirate vessel that will circle you while shooting a red laser in your general direction.

Statement - Bounty Hunter – Accept missions to terminate wanted players and NPCs.
CIG Description - In the 'Verse, all actions have consequences! The game will track those players who choose a life of crime, and let them be warned: you'll be hunted by real life players, with all the excitement and unpredictability that entails! Be careful what you do, and where you do it, or you might find yourself in the crosshairs of a better pilot! If you're not a pirate, then you can help make the 'Verse safe for others by taking lucrative bounties out on other players! Be careful, they earned that reputation - bring friends!
Actual Implementation: - Buckle in, Commando, as we dive into an endless forum war of hypotheticals regarding whether or not people should be allowed to kill an innocent player in the first place. Be prepared to hit "Reply" and add your useless opinions on how "flagging" should work. Spend months bogged down in details while CIG does absolutely nothing to handle the simplest of logistical concerns about bounty hunting, like how you're going to find the motherfucker in the first place. However we decide to approach the problem. you can rest assured it will be the worst implementation possible.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

It would be awesome but ~NDAs~ :shrug:

Should always be tested in a court of law. Everyone signs a non-compete; you know how unworkable it actually is?

DapperDon posted:

Thanks for that my friend. Yesterday a few of us in the smaller circle got together and hijacked his boat off of the lift and went out for one last drunken boat ride to toast him off proper. I think quite a few of us felt better after that.

Friend of mine in the 1990s worked with Arthur C. Clarke on investigating overunity ('cold fusion' et al) devices on the basis that if one even got close to working, it would be a big deal. Background was that I got to meet Martin Fleischmann, Eugene Mallove and a couple of other really serious people as they hosed around with the maddest of mad inventors all over the world. He suffered an enormous heart attack and died after giving up smoking.

After the funeral, we all gathered in his shed/lab and ran a last experiment, that due to a faulty ballast ended up with lots and lots of the blackest phenolic smoke escaping the door with a bunch of physics nerds coughing and looking for a fire extinguisher. It was the _most_ fitting send off for the man.

We never did find anything that worked, and some of them were certifiably clown shoes. My doxxing was contemporary to one of those interesting individuals.

Tippis posted:

Why is everyone so angry all of a sudden? :gonk:

I'm not, I'm surprisingly chill. I mean like spookily.

spacetoaster posted:

I'm sure NDAs are somewhat enforcable, but it seems they're mostly a scare tactic.

It's more that they're an agreement made on paper. I know that it seems pedantic, but if I ask you to agree to a rule, then we're both aware of it. Enforcement is a separate issue that may not be cut and dried or IRONCLAD.

Beet Wagon posted:

God damnit. They better not use Chris the Thumbman to try and get me to upgrade my internet...

It's Charter Communications, they'll be calling to shake you down for maintaining your current level of service.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

So, they stole the Spectrum name from Charter Communications?

I'd be really bad at coming up with creative names if I were responsible for a project like this, so I'd rely on some kind of hired creative talent. I suspect I'd have someone good at stuff like that if I had a 300+ employee company.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you think of Ben Parry's confession that the Lumberyard "swap" is a superficial joke?

Are we calling that a confession of superficiality? Ok.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Well, now we know why Stardiscord is called Spectrum...

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Oh? Here, let me help.

It's all bullshit really; considering the stuff they ripped out of 2.6 in order to "release" it in Dec 2016. So yeah, doing several 2.6.x updates leading into 3.0 is expected.

What's bullshit is that you promised me ground vehicles in the last long mile of 2016 and I still can't get around your lovely map-editor of a game. I'm also over 2 hours so Steam won't give me my money back. :negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The hilarious part? It's unlikely that they're using Spectrum. Also, last commercial they did was for Time Warner. heh

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

It's Charter Communications, they'll be calling to shake you down for maintaining your current level of service.

XK posted:

So, they stole the Spectrum name from Charter Communications?

I'd be really bad at coming up with creative names if I were responsible for a project like this, so I'd rely on some kind of hired creative talent. I suspect I'd have someone good at stuff like that if I had a 300+ employee company.

As I understand it, they merged with TWC and Bright House, which is why all my bills have this on them:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's bullshit is that you promised me ground vehicles in the last long mile of 2016 and I still can't get around your lovely map-editor of a game. I'm also over 2 hours so Steam won't give me my money back. :negative:

To be fair he only has the one office and under 300 staff to update his released game.

Also, have you read the reviews? Jesus, caveat emptor.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.

wow the SQlude was one of The Agent's earliest leaks. Good to see your sources are finally catching wind of it.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

CR : "Why yes, of course I will whore myself out to a company that sounds like a poor mental state for more money"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are we calling that a confession of superficiality? Ok.

Sure. Why not?
He explained quite clearly that the only thing that actually changed was pure surface: they peeled off the CryEngine label and put a Lumberyard sticker in its place. That's all. This in contrast to how Chris tried to play it up as a significant change that somehow didn't take any time — the confession was in why it didn't take any time: because nothing changed.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

wow the SQlude was one of The Agent's earliest leaks. Good to see your sources are finally catching wind of it.

Go re-read my posts, slowly this time. I've claimed that SQ42 would be released in 2017 for some time now.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

ManofManyAliases posted:

-SQ42 will, at the very least, have a level (or few levels) drop this year. Though, I'm optimistic for a full release before end-of-year.

But what about spoilers? How can they release a level, or few, without spoiling things?

lol at "optimistic" for release before end of year, when it was last slated for 2016 release, and previously much before that.

If you're "optimistic" for a 2017 release, then you admit that a 2017 release is only a best case scenario.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

ManofManyAliases posted:

Buying LOD was always a gamble, friend. We knew it from the start. That's why I put disposable income into it. If LOD stops being developed today, I got all my value out of it.

Maybe you should take a break from LOD and come back in 2-3 years. You might find it a lot more enjoyable, then.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

As I understand it, they merged with TWC and Bright House, which is why all my bills have this on them:

No, it's Charter Communications marketed as Spectrum Charter (it's a trademark). Creating a bunch of shells is easier than actually fixing customer service. They swallowed up Brighthouse and TWC and they're de-duping as we speak.

Currently they're struggling with people coming off the special promotions and finding out what their service costs. I'm just hoping that they keep BH Technical because those guys got fairly decent.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

JugbandDude posted:

Buying LOD was always a gamble, friend. We knew it from the start. That's why I put disposable income into it. If LOD stops being developed today, I got all my value out of it.

Maybe you should take a break from LOD and come back in 2-3 years. You might find it a lot more enjoyable, then.

No, it was (plus, I try to be fair). But I needed to see first-hand why it was so lovely I can't simply go on and discount the rantings of a narcissist lunatic without first understanding a little about where he comes from.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Go re-read my posts, slowly this time. I've claimed that SQ42 would be released in 2017 for some time now.

the claim of them releasing "one or two levels" instead of the full SQ42 has been part of The Agent's checklist for a long long time. Since at least July IIRC. This would be another major score for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

XK posted:

But what about spoilers? How can they release a level, or few, without spoiling things?

lol at "optimistic" for release before end of year, when it was last slated for 2016 release, and previously much before that.

If you're "optimistic" for a 2017 release, then you admit that a 2017 release is only a best case scenario.

Yeah, I think they can and it won't really spoil much.