Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

beergod posted:

My SF V on PC is running like absolute trash now. I have a 1080 and I have no idea what's going on. It constantly stutters and goes into slow motion; sometimes it speeds way the gently caress up. I tried it with both my G-Sync monitor and 4K TV and it is the same on both. Anyone have suggestions?

Check to make sure something isn't eating up a poo poo ton of CPU cycles or ram in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Normal DPs don't have invincible frames anymore so meaties beat them on wakeup. EX DPs still win. That's pretty much it.

This is the greatest change in the history of videogames. Holy poo poo I can beat DP characters now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Twitter says you can cause a lag spike as a pc player by unplugging and replugging a direct input device

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This is the greatest change in the history of videogames. Holy poo poo I can beat DP characters now.

you could have like baited the dp

or learned a safejump

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Pomp posted:

or learned a safejump

Yeah I didn't mind playing against dp chars. Are there safe jumps in SFV though? Also in the new patch, do dps still cause crush counters on recovery?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pomp posted:

or learned a safejump

Every safejump setup on Laura I found lost to 3f DPs or could only be done off a CC sweep.

And I mean, of course I tried to bait out DPs, but DP characters being able to negate all of my pressure whenever they wanted through either a random DP or me trying to bait one out caused a serious disadvantage for my character.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Every safejump setup on Laura I found lost to 3f DPs or could only be done off a CC sweep.

And I mean, of course I tried to bait out DPs, but DP characters being able to negate all of my pressure whenever they wanted through either a random DP or me trying to bait one out caused a serious disadvantage for my character.

that's more the game having lovely, limited options, than it is meterless DPs doing the job they always have in every FG since ST.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
Theoretically crush counters should have worked the risk/reward away from dps but real pressure situations are hard to get and CCs dont do enough damage so now dps are worse than theyve ever been in street fighter (fighting game??) history. Good job team

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I bought Laura's titty monster costume.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ixiggle posted:

Theoretically crush counters should have worked the risk/reward away from dps but real pressure situations are hard to get and CCs dont do enough damage so now dps are worse than theyve ever been in street fighter (fighting game??) history. Good job team

are there still CCs that are lower reward than a normal loving hit would be?

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Pomp posted:

are there still CCs that are lower reward than a normal loving hit would be?

Necalli still i think, st/cr.hp cc is so much worse than normal hit

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
My favorite thing about CCs is they're more of a "make neutral random and lovely" mechanic than anything else. They're mostly too slow and negative to be reliably used as frametraps, and their outright exclusion would probably just lead to some tweaks to certain characters so they could get similar damage on punishes without them. Instead, the ease of hitconfirming them into giant combos and being tied to long range normals means you kind of just throw them out there and receive 300 damage because you flailed at the right time.

I've said it before but other games with similar mechanics usually tied it to very situational normals instead of standard Good Footsie Normals which are half the crush counters in SF5. I think in general it's a bad mechanic for a Street Fighter game

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
sf5 was woshige's secret plan to get people to play guilty gear

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Pomp posted:

that's more the game having lovely, limited options, than it is meterless DPs doing the job they always have in every FG since ST.

The more I think about it, the more I come back to this as the big problem with SFV. In other (better) games you have lots of powerful options, but your opponent has lots of ways to counter them if you get too predictable; because of this you live and die on minute pauses to bait your opponent, slight steps back and forth to change distance, and little delays to change your timing. In SFV everything is so slow and stubby and lovely that a slight pause to bait a dp actually does completely kill your pressure and "walking backward to make your opponent whiff" requires a specific setup and got a special name to go with it. Every option you have is a risky commitment and the whole thing feels strangled by it. When a game gives everyone dirty poo poo, and ways to counter it, you get a much more diverse, interesting, and layered game.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Yorkshire Tea posted:

lol its not a safejump if it gets beat by dps. what the hell

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zand posted:

lol its not a safejump if it gets beat by dps. what the hell

It's as if I was trying to illustrate the problem with Laura safejumps. (And referring to them as such because they would beat 4f DPs)

The problem being that they don't exist. I mean who even cares now that I can just LP bolt after cthrows like a motherfucker.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ixiggle posted:

I mean non-invul dps were in third strike too, pretty much exactly like they are in SFV with ex dps being invul (though Ken's fierce dp had startup invul because it was ON FIRE and Akuma's were all invul because he had no ex moves)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hot hot Platinum/Ultra Platinum ranked gameplay??
https://twitter.com/gllty/status/816252745170767872

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Saint Freak posted:

Hot hot Platinum/Ultra Platinum ranked gameplay??
https://twitter.com/gllty/status/816252745170767872

Oh my god make it stop

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
What happened to the fighting game general thread? My SFIV TE arcade stick is acting wonky. The lower corners are no longer registering reliably. I opened it up and everything looks physically fine, but it's pretty obvious that something is sticking in the game. For example when I tap right the character takes one or two steps before returning to neutral. Should I just replace the physical stick, springs, and internal buttons or am I better off replacing the whole drat thing?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crayvex posted:

What happened to the fighting game general thread? My SFIV TE arcade stick is acting wonky. The lower corners are no longer registering reliably. I opened it up and everything looks physically fine, but it's pretty obvious that something is sticking in the game. For example when I tap right the character takes one or two steps before returning to neutral. Should I just replace the physical stick, springs, and internal buttons or am I better off replacing the whole drat thing?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772278

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Thanks!! I don't know why I couldn't see it. Then again I also thing SFV is a "good game."

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Crayvex posted:

I'd honestly just spend £20 and replace that part at that point.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Thanks!! I don't know why I couldn't see it. Then again I also thing SFV is a "good game."

make sure it's set to DP and not LS or RS

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zand posted:

This got me a few times

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I think for some reason my fight stick was being "unplugged" from windows constantly when I was playing, causing constant lag spikes (I was even getting lag spikes in training mode). I uninstalled it and deleted all the registry entries for the game and reinstalled it and that fixed it. But lol capcom. Online is still too loving laggy

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Zand posted:

Unfortunately that didn't make any difference. I'm just going to order replacement parts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/TOOLASSlSTED/status/815582391398002688

Something something "DP - FADCs were bad"

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I miss my fadc

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Holy poo poo

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

That's weird but it looks like something that only fucks up with Ryu parry. You can at least do a delayed jab into DP or something.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

im not a virgin can someone translate what this tweet is saying

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

someone made an arcade mode mod for pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWIbOru1YN0

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Madcosby posted:

im not a virgin can someone translate what this tweet is saying

i think the invincibility from akuma's DP is still active even after V-Trigger, which is hilarious

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I bought Laura's titty monster costume.

You bought all of her costumes??

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

how is capcom so bad that a random loving dude can make an arcade mode before them lol

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

anime was right posted:

how is capcom so bad that a random loving dude can make an arcade mode before them lol

its even weirder because they did in fact just got one random dude to design the entirety of CFN but they couldnt get one random dude to make arcade mode

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
*800+ hours clocked on various versions of IV*

"Y'know, I'm convinced by this Season 2 chatter; I gave V a hard time because of the release, I'll reinstall it and see how it plays now."
:goonsay:

*Tried to play 10 games back to back as an experiment, literally 2 don't feature hilarious rollbacks & teleports.*

gently caress this game. It's just poo poo.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

A.o.D. posted:

You bought all of her costumes??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Shockeh posted:

*800+ hours clocked on various versions of IV*

"Y'know, I'm convinced by this Season 2 chatter; I gave V a hard time because of the release, I'll reinstall it and see how it plays now."
:goonsay:

*Tried to play 10 games back to back as an experiment, literally 2 don't feature hilarious rollbacks & teleports.*

gently caress this game. It's just poo poo.

I did this, but it was more than 10 games and a lot less than 2..