Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
100 lapis a day instead of 50 is also nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AegisP posted:

100 lapis a day instead of 50 is also nice.

This shouldn't be a thing, we should get 100 a day on the reg and 200 for a "celebration".

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
Trying out this game again (couldn't really get into it before, unlike Mobius which really drew me in). Rerolled a few times last night and finally settled on a decent set of pulls, but my roster seems quite magic-heavy (the roll I stopped on contained both ExDeath and Refia, so figured I probably wouldn't do much better than that, according to the wiki). How important is team composition for the early game / main scenario? If I go by the ratings on the wiki, I think the best team I can field is 5 mages, but I don't know how good/bad an idea that is to level through the basic game. Here's my current character pool:

****: Hope, Refia, Zidane, Edgar, Russell
***: ExDeath, Terra, Cerius, Shadow, Shantotto, Celes, Arc, Russell, Sazh, Sazh, Freya

Can I just roll with ExDeath, Refia, Arc, Hope and Terra and not worry about tanking or anything? I also have been using Zidane for the first couple of dungeons (I'm just about to do Siren's Tower) because someone told me using Steal every battle was useful, but I don't know how much that applies this early in the game.

tl;dr do i care about teamcomp in early game

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
you have a lot of good characters. I started with Exdeath and Zidane as well.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cadenza posted:

Trying out this game again (couldn't really get into it before, unlike Mobius which really drew me in). Rerolled a few times last night and finally settled on a decent set of pulls, but my roster seems quite magic-heavy (the roll I stopped on contained both ExDeath and Refia, so figured I probably wouldn't do much better than that, according to the wiki). How important is team composition for the early game / main scenario? If I go by the ratings on the wiki, I think the best team I can field is 5 mages, but I don't know how good/bad an idea that is to level through the basic game. Here's my current character pool:

****: Hope, Refia, Zidane, Edgar, Russell
***: ExDeath, Terra, Cerius, Shadow, Shantotto, Celes, Arc, Russell, Sazh, Sazh, Freya

Can I just roll with ExDeath, Refia, Arc, Hope and Terra and not worry about tanking or anything? I also have been using Zidane for the first couple of dungeons (I'm just about to do Siren's Tower) because someone told me using Steal every battle was useful, but I don't know how much that applies this early in the game.

Refia is one of the best white mages in the game, Zidane has the best TM if you're willing to do that grinding, Exdeath is the best black mage, Arc is very solid even though he isn't 5* capable, and both Terra and Celes have their utility (Terra is a decent black mage with a revive spell and Celes has a magic-absorb skill).

Your tentative team sounds good for now. Just keep doing story mode and making daily pulls, try to do the objectives while you're at it. You shouldn't care TOO much about team comp and a full magic team will wreck poo poo during early game content, it's not until late second map that you have to care about specific poo poo anyway. For now you have a solid base.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fenrir posted:

THAR SHE BLOWS

Dark Fina is coming.

Oh no, do I whale now and throw my exdeath in the trash, or continue hoarding for orlandu.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

throw my exdeath in the trash

Hey now. Unless you have five Exdeaths already, there's plenty of room on an Arena team for both Exdeath and Dark Fina. :colbert:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

KataraniSword posted:

Hey now. Unless you have five Exdeaths already, there's plenty of room on an Arena team for both Exdeath and Dark Fina. :colbert:

i have five exdeaths but i would still find room for dark fina

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
Dark Fina is #1 mage in JP correct?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Vax posted:

Dark Fina is #1 mage in JP correct?

Her and Rem from Type-0.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Infected posted:

Her and Rem from Type-0.

Rem has a niche as Arena Queen mostly because she has an AoE Osmose. As far as raw damage-per-turn, Dark Fina is top of the mountain, which in turn makes her one of the few mages worth taking around outside of Arena, too.

Honestly, outside of Arena, consider Dark Fina an upgraded version of Exdeath and Rem an upgraded version of Krile.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 3, 2017

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Would love to get Dark Fina, but I won't whale for her, just daily pulls. I'm guessing the other characters are garbage? Their TM's look lackluster-ish.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

cadenza posted:

You're fine. Steal is mostly useful early on because there's an achievement for 100 steals and a 30 achievements unlocks the recipe for the Hero Ring, which is the best accessory you can get for physical characters.

You can do all the story content without a tank no problem. By the time you need one, you'll have pulled one.

I'd also throw Sazh in there. Your strongest weapons early on in the story are guns, and when you fully max him out at 5* level 80, he learns Full Break, which reduces all of a target's stats: defenses by 30%, attacks by ~50%. Between Full Break and Refia's Embolden (huge partywide atk/def boost) you will be pretty ready to mess stuff up.

(Embolden will take some time to unlock since she needs to be 6* to use it and you can only really get the stuff a 6 star "awakening" by doing a lot of grinding in the limited events that pop up every week or three.)

If you happen to pull Agrais, Vaan, or Faris, they'll all be improvements on Sazh. Warrior of Light also has Full Break and supposedly he'll be really useful soon? but I dunno if he's better in the short term or not so I'd leave that to the thread. Vaan and Faris are nice for your current mage setup because they also learn Focus, the MAG/SPR party buff, but Agrias is the better unit overall.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Rem has a niche as Arena Queen mostly because she has an AoE Osmose. As far as raw damage-per-turn, Dark Fina is top of the mountain, which in turn makes her one of the few mages worth taking around outside of Arena, too.

Honestly, outside of Arena, consider Dark Fina an upgraded version of Exdeath and Rem an upgraded version of Krile.

Yeah if you are just looking at ra damage dark fina, trance terra and victoria are some of the hardest hitting mages.

Luka is an ok healer if you dont have refia, better than her if you dont have dualcast.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 3, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cartoon Man posted:

Would love to get Dark Fina, but I won't whale for her, just daily pulls. I'm guessing the other characters are garbage? Their TM's look lackluster-ish.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Luka is an ok healer if you dont have refia, better than her if you dont have dualcast.

For explanation: Luka gets Raise, an AoE MP Regen, a Curaja+Esunaga combo move, a Barwaterga variation, and a five turn +45% DEF/SPR buff. Unfortunately, all of these (except Raise) are classed as abilities, not magic, meaning they aren't affected by Dualcast even if you have it. Consider her like a slightly less absurd Tilith, except she can actually wear equipment.

By contrast, Refia gets Full-Life, Curaja, and Esuna... which are all White Magic, and thus can all be Dualcasted. This is what makes Refia the best White Mage after a Dualcast TM.

Elle, on the other hand, sure is a tank character. A tank that caps at 5*. With lackluster defenses. In a world where if you want a tank, Cecil, Snow, and 6* Rain are right there. He's not Medius tier, but he's pretty blah.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The new dungeon seems to be a one and done. Final elite boss is human mage Dark Fina so get those dual wielding Call of Dutys back on your friend spot or your best DPS equipped with Diablos. Elite missions are no death, use 3+ LBs, and kill with Esper. The last one will probably be hard to pull off and no deaths is always a challenge. Crank it out then you can go back to macroing.

More info on Reddit:
https://m.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/comments/5lr4r6/gl_news_recap_dark_fina_banner_memories_of_the/

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity

hey girl you up posted:

You're fine. Steal is mostly useful early on because there's an achievement for 100 steals and a 30 achievements unlocks the recipe for the Hero Ring, which is the best accessory you can get for physical characters.

You can do all the story content without a tank no problem. By the time you need one, you'll have pulled one.

I'd also throw Sazh in there. Your strongest weapons early on in the story are guns, and when you fully max him out at 5* level 80, he learns Full Break, which reduces all of a target's stats: defenses by 30%, attacks by ~50%. Between Full Break and Refia's Embolden (huge partywide atk/def boost) you will be pretty ready to mess stuff up.

(Embolden will take some time to unlock since she needs to be 6* to use it and you can only really get the stuff a 6 star "awakening" by doing a lot of grinding in the limited events that pop up every week or three.)

If you happen to pull Agrais, Vaan, or Faris, they'll all be improvements on Sazh. Warrior of Light also has Full Break and supposedly he'll be really useful soon? but I dunno if he's better in the short term or not so I'd leave that to the thread. Vaan and Faris are nice for your current mage setup because they also learn Focus, the MAG/SPR party buff, but Agrias is the better unit overall.

Nice, thanks! Once I get the 100 steals I'll sub Sazh in. I tried Hope for one dungeon but his autoattack animation is slow af so I'm going to sideline him again. Is it worth spending the gacha tickets I'm getting now, or saving them for events?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Looking at that banner, Dark Fina's a great mage for those who want one, Luka's nice if you don't have Refia and dualcast, Elle is whatever.

I might do some 1/2 pulls but I'm pretty tempted to skip the banner entirely. Luka's an upgrade for me as far as healers go butif I'm going to chase a healer it might as well be Refia on a future banner, or Tilith. Otherwise just getting by with what I have until we get the FFXIV event. Assuming Gumi doesn't do some bullshit and put those units on a regular banner.

Nuebot posted:

Oh no, do I whale now and throw my exdeath in the trash, or continue hoarding for orlandu.

Orlandu's still vastly superior to Dark Fina and it's not even close. She's pretty great in general but if your plan is to whale for a single super unit that can carry the day then Orlandu's still the one to go for, especially if you have an excalibur for him.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The biggest advantage with magician units is that they are self contained. They barely need gear to blow poo poo up and get you through all the games content. In contrast physical units need a whole lot more tms and enhancements to get where they are.

e- Honestly, if you have the gil for it and already have a pair Agriases (Agriaii?), then she can do just about as good a job as a single DW orlandu if you get her enhancements. The only issue is that she doesn't have the mp sustain or innate status resists that Orlandu has. In instead you get a tankier unit that can cover each other and other female units and have curaja.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Just ripped my 3rd Exdeath, 2nd this week, off of the monthly free tickets.

Now if I can just get the other ones I want...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

When can I expect to be able to farm my favorite donut licker?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Anybody know where Ariana Grande fits on this chart?

http://rizer.tv/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ff-info-rev2.jpg

Saw this on Reddit, thought it was pretty cool to share.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Elle actually has a very good TMR, it's a clear upgrade to the best free option for healer / tank accessories. If you want to daily pull on a banner to chase a 5*, Fina's not a **bad** banner to do it on, but Luka herself is also quite underwhelming.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
I want a few Elles for the TM to replace the Muscle belts on my tanks/healers. But that's about it off that banner.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I figure I'll end up with as many Dark Finas as I ended up with WOLs, Cecils, Lightnings, Refias, and Noctis': 0.

On the other hand, my list of 6* capable units is: Bartz, Cerius, CoD, Exdeath, Gilgamesh, and Santa Roselia. Not that I have any at 6*. And I have 5x Kefka, 5x Shantoto, 5x Krille, and 2x Exdeath...? :shrug:

Cartoon Man posted:

Pretty neat. I only see one thing wrong: They went with Final Fantasy as the name because they wanted a game that could be abbreviateed FF. Square has debunked the myth that it was thought to be their final game.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Are multiple CoD worth keeping around? I have 5 Exdeath if I really want some kinda goofy arena squad, I feel like.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
No, not really worth it unless you're really hurting for physical attackers.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Servaetes posted:

Are multiple CoD worth keeping around? I have 5 Exdeath if I really want some kinda goofy arena squad, I feel like.

Unless you have multiple Lockes that you plan on TMRing, no. Her weapon pool is so limiting that it's difficult even gearing up one CoD.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

MohShuvuu posted:

Unless you have multiple Lockes that you plan on TMRing, no. Her weapon pool is so limiting that it's difficult even gearing up one CoD.

Alternately, if you have sunbeams and/or DW's, could always gear a bunch of CoD's for magic and have a really convenient arena team. Having to constantly select exdeath's dualcast + double -ga's gets old really fast.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year Everyone! I've pulled 2 Shadows and a Bedile in my three daily pulls.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Servaetes posted:

I have two, which is pushing it. One spends most of her time on the bench even if the other is part of my A-team.

The problem is, they're not worth smashing together, either. Auto-Limit is a bad TMR.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

KataraniSword posted:

The problem is, they're not worth smashing together, either. Auto-Limit is a bad TMR.

It's not worth *grinding*, no, but it would have been nice to have a couple of them when I was grinding Cecil's LB.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cartoon Man posted:

That maker put a lot of effort in to a thing while somehow missing/ignoring that Y'shtola's isn't the protagonist for FFXIV and she's not even the most important NPC. She's just the mascot for games like Dissidia. I can understand their FFXI choice because AFAIK there's no defined and 'official' character for that like the guy that SE uses consistently as their WoL in FFXIV trailers and promos. </:spergin:>

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Evil Fluffy posted:

That maker put a lot of effort in to a thing while somehow missing/ignoring that Y'shtola's isn't the protagonist for FFXIV and she's not even the most important NPC. She's just the mascot for games like Dissidia. I can understand their FFXI choice because AFAIK there's no defined and 'official' character for that like the guy that SE uses consistently as their WoL in FFXIV trailers and promos. </:spergin:>

Also one of their big callout moments is "Cloud and Tifa might have banged once"

The gently caress?

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I hope we completely skip FF Type-0 and get Orlandu as the next banner. I'll have 2 banners worth of pulling blue balls ready to unload on him.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I hope we get bondage bunny Ariana burrito grande next banner.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Cartoon Man posted:

I hope we get bondage bunny Ariana burrito grande next banner.

Naw, the actual pro-Gumi move here is to release that after Orlandu, but make her better than him.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
The ideal move for the most salt possible is to just swap out Orlandus sprite for Arianas.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

McSpankWich posted:

The ideal move for the most salt possible is to just swap out Orlandus sprite for Arianas.

The real DW Cid was in front of us all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ariana Grande is going to be the first 5 star base spellsword and about as useful as Bedile and Rakshananana.

• Locked thread