Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Caphi posted:

I wasn't following Z2R's advertisement, did they actually pretend like Esther was the protagonist? Crowe was established as the Wavering Scales but she could have been something else (in retrospect, the Dreaming Fishes - as a Pisces I'd have appreciated it) and Crowe would have completed his arc as a supporting character, like the Alphas. All his development centered around Esther anyway, even in the Z2R we got.

Speaking of which, remember when I thought Suzune was going to be half of the Twins?

They dropped the ball pretty hard on the whole Zodiac thing they had going on in the Z series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

i feel like if they had any plans for a sequel they would have put Nadeisco TV in so Prince of Darkness could be in the sequel? because that's a really obvious thing to do. Same with putting in Seed Destiny instead of regular SEED, or listing FMP Second Raid and Light Novels instead of saving that material for later. Or just doing the 00 movie right out of the gate. Like, if Z2 had listed both Geass and Geass R2, I wouldn't have expected a Z2.2.

Z2 also came out the gate with a "chapters" format so it was a foregone conclusion. Z didn't have a lot of "incompletes" in the series list. In fact, it had SEED Destiny, not to mention both Gravion and Gravion Zwei, Getter G, and all three Mazingers. Z was complete enough that it was plain Z2 wasn't sure what to do with them; even Z3 gave way more relevant roles to ZEXIS than ZEUTH. All the "to be continued" stuff was in the writing itself, a bunch of original blather and stuff like Char's role in the Black History.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 3, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

They dropped the ball pretty hard on the whole Zodiac thing they had going on in the Z series
They dropped the ball on most every plot element that started in Z. Z2 was a decent followup but Z3 just felt like a game made out of the scraps of series that were 95% completed in other games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Z3 really feels like they had one really cool game planned and made it into one really cool game and one everything they had left over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

drrockso20 posted:

It's okay, they'll save it in OGs by not fridging Esther and making Gilliam into one of the missing Zodiac Signs.

Just you wait, it'll happen for sure!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I played some Gundam Breaker 3 today after a while off and it is still pretty awesome. For you guys who have played this series longer than me, do your MS designs ever settle down or is it a neverending parade of swapping out parts with slightly better ones?

edit: I'd post a picture of my MS but it will just change in half an hour.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 3, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Having the anti spiral only be your halfway boss sounds like thr dumbest idea

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's okay, they'll save it in OGs by not fridging Esther and making Gilliam into one of the missing Zodiac Signs.

Last year NASA reminded everyone that the original Zodiac left out the Serpent-Bearer because the Babylonians really wanted to tie it to the calendar.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Give Esther Pisces, turn her MP Brasta into DAMON Weissritter and upgrade Marg with a proper Queen of Bling-esque mech.

Ziene can get an upgrade, too, I guess.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You'd have to rewrite the Fishes and Archer and possibly the Goat into something at all interesting.

Actually just give Esther the Archer, you know she's got some seriously uphill battles in Work and Love.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And let us at least have the Sidereal Reactors help us against the Envoys. The ending shows that the Reactors' spirits are still around and ES Terran Chaos Cosmos is not-Anti-Spiral-Space, in which will = reality.

So why not make up some bullshit with Shikuu, what with his "guide souls of the dead" shtick, being able to bring their souls into Es Terran and their wills give their bodies form again or whatever?

Bonus points if we can bring in Uther and Ime as well.

Edit: And, gently caress, why can't Asakim send the Shurouga out to slap Advent some? I know he needs to be in there to weaken the guy but the mech is said to be sentient, so you can make something up.

vvv: Ah, right - I wasn't remembering the Chaos Cosmos name.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 3, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm continuously waffling between "eh, Pisces never gets any respect in anything" and "but seriously, even so, the Dreaming Fishes?"

The Fishes was the one power that was never plot relevant. You could have made it something remotely interesting instead of phoning it in. "Okay, Asakim's apparently actually Reacting his stolen Spheres, because our pile of magic rules that we've spent a novel's worth of :words: explaining are just trash now. Anyway, we've got one left. It's got to be something that fits his theme. Thoughts?" "Uh, wanting it really really badly?"

e: it bears repeating that Chaos Cosmos, nothing, the entire Es Terran/Chaos Cosmos/Z Supreme thing is just an ersatz Anti-Spiral by parts, right down to "the entire planet is our preserved bodies" and "ha ha, you do have emotions and they will be your downfall."

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 3, 2017

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Regarding your avatar, maybe my memory is wrong but isn't the scene where he is eating that burger right before he gets the poo poo kicked out of him by a bunch of Titans?

I don't think so. I think he was in a meeting with them. Emma was there as well and then they beat the poo poo out of him, which is the beginning of Emma questioning the side she joined.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played some Gundam Breaker 3 today after a while off and it is still pretty awesome. For you guys who have played this series longer than me, do your MS designs ever settle down or is it a neverending parade of swapping out parts with slightly better ones?

edit: I'd post a picture of my MS but it will just change in half an hour.

Usually changing something every mission until about 75% through the game then I settle on a favorite configuration and make those parts stronger.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HitTheTargets posted:

Last year NASA reminded everyone that the original Zodiac left out the Serpent-Bearer because the Babylonians really wanted to tie it to the calendar.

This is my opportunity to brag that, according to the IAU Zodiac, I actually am an Ophiuchus!

That said, the real special snowflakes of that Zodiac are the Scorpios, who have a whopping six days (November 23-29) to themselves.

And if you want to include every constellation that intercepts the ecliptic, you'd have to add a 14th sign, Cetus (March 14th), at the bare minimum.

But 14 is neither geometrically beautiful like 12 or superstitiously unlucky like 13 so to hell with it.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 3, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

I'm continuously waffling between "eh, Pisces never gets any respect in anything" and "but seriously, even so, the Dreaming Fishes?"

The Fishes was the one power that was never plot relevant. You could have made it something remotely interesting instead of phoning it in. "Okay, Asakim's apparently actually Reacting his stolen Spheres, because our pile of magic rules that we've spent a novel's worth of :words: explaining are just trash now. Anyway, we've got one left. It's got to be something that fits his theme. Thoughts?" "Uh, wanting it really really badly?"

e: it bears repeating that Chaos Cosmos, nothing, the entire Es Terran/Chaos Cosmos/Z Supreme thing is just an ersatz Anti-Spiral by parts, right down to "the entire planet is our preserved bodies" and "ha ha, you do have emotions and they will be your downfall."

Was that what Pisces ended up being? I only got the Neidengard special so all the info I got is "it's called the Dreaming Fishes" and the rest was left to the reader's imagination.

The Archer could be neat if "standing against adversity" wasn't a thing that your entire team embodies. Big man being unable to back down even in the face of completely reasonable arguments I prefer to think of as him not being a super real good reactor and suffering the downside of the archer which could be ultra-stubborness based on the twist the others tend to have, but is most likely to be just bad writing.

Tengoku had so much potential and just did nothing with it, even coming up with cool things and throwing them away right until the end even, with Shikuu showing up again and talking about the Generals and then ??????

Brunom1 posted:

Edit: And, gently caress, why can't Asakim send the Shurouga out to slap Advent some? I know he needs to be in there to weaken the guy but the mech is said to be sentient, so you can make something up.

Maybe he tried and it got lost, considering the blueprint.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

EthanSteele posted:

Was that what Pisces ended up being? I only got the Neidengard special so all the info I got is "it's called the Dreaming Fishes" and the rest was left to the reader's imagination.

Yeah, IIRC its associated emotion was desire.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I will never understand why, after Z1 covered two spheres and Z2 covered three spheres, Z3.1 would go on to cover only one.

And then the last seven just got shoved into Z3.2. And I guess Rengoku existed, but eeeeeh.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I picked up Moon Dwellers and I'm checking out some of the early stages of this route split.

Crystal Dragon Dragoon's speech amuses me for some reason. It's like he tries to use the least amount of words possible in a sentence at all times.

I'll probably still settle on Calvina's route, even though I definitely got more than enough of her antics in J. Can I still put her in Granteed?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I picked up Moon Dwellers and I'm checking out some of the early stages of this route split.

Crystal Dragon Dragoon's speech amuses me for some reason. It's like he tries to use the least amount of words possible in a sentence at all times.

I'll probably still settle on Calvina's route, even though I definitely got more than enough of her antics in J. Can I still put her in Granteed?

Nope. Granteed is plot-locked. The only bonus unit you can put her in is Coustwell which is crappier than her main unit in every possible way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

super robot wars a

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

The Archer could be neat if "standing against adversity" wasn't a thing that your entire team embodies. Big man being unable to back down even in the face of completely reasonable arguments I prefer to think of as him not being a super real good reactor and suffering the downside of the archer which could be ultra-stubborness based on the twist the others tend to have, but is most likely to be just bad writing.

Bad writing since I as I remember it, stolen Spheres have no feedback and Asakim is the exception that proves the rule. I don't know where they were going with Virudhaka if they weren't going to show the other Generals. They could have just made him the thing's Reactor and skipped Gaioh. As it stands it feels like one of those weird things where both of them being there makes their pointlessness more conspicuous. And this is after spending an entire game's length meandering around the beast/water/wind/fire bridge-to-oblivion.

Augh, Z3.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Granteed is plot-locked. The only bonus unit you can put her in is Coustwell which is crappier than her main unit in every possible way.

Don't forget that Granteed is also worse than her main unit in every possible way! Everything is pretty strong in MD, but Granteed is a standout at the bottom end of the power scale for 90% of the game.

Caphi posted:

Bad writing since I as I remember it, stolen Spheres have no feedback and Asakim is the exception that proves the rule. I don't know where they were going with Virudhaka if they weren't going to show the other Generals. They could have just made him the thing's Reactor and skipped Gaioh. As it stands it feels like one of those weird things where both of them being there makes their pointlessness more conspicuous. And this is after spending an entire game's length meandering around the beast/water/wind/fire bridge-to-oblivion.

Augh, Z3.

Fingers crossed they manage to fulfill any of the potential when they get to OGverse in 6 million years, though if the "nah we just made Masaki have the prana inversion thing as an excuse for him to be able to come back" holds any weight I'm not holding my breath. I'm looking forward to V being as stand alone as Z1

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Don't forget that Granteed is also worse than her main unit in every possible way! Everything is pretty strong in MD, but Granteed is a standout at the bottom end of the power scale for 90% of the game.

Fingers crossed they manage to fulfill any of the potential when they get to OGverse in 6 million years, though if the "nah we just made Masaki have the prana inversion thing as an excuse for him to be able to come back" holds any weight I'm not holding my breath. I'm looking forward to V being as stand alone as Z1

From what I've HEARD, Masaki was slated to come back anyway (don't want Midorikawa to torch Banpresto's office) but using a Duraxyll. Problem is, they couldn't redo the thing's attacks to make them look less villainous, so they just went and made up a bullshit excuse to have the Cybuster still working.

Same story also said the Raveraid (what that its name?) was also supposed to have been part of the team that came back to the surface in MD.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
We don't know how bad V's translation will be, but here's one that I can tell you guys will probably be good!

I finally got permission from my collaborators to show off screens from this very much nonofficial translation effort.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

We don't know how bad V's translation will be, but here's one that I can tell you guys will probably be good!

I finally got permission from my collaborators to show off screens from this very much nonofficial translation effort.

Oh poo poo.

Also that second image is basically Brain Power'd.jpg

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Now we need a few of the KURISMAS PRESENTO scene and we can summarize the entire series in a couple screenshots!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Now we need a few of the KURISMAS PRESENTO scene and we can summarize the entire series in a couple screenshots!
My favorite scene in Brain Powerd is when Yu is holding a woman up at gunpoint and he gets so distracted looking at something else that she just turns around and walks away.

Hokuto posted:

Nice.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite scene in brain powerd is the one where hes trying to open an apartment door by having his mech turn the doorknob

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Stop it you're making me want to actually watch the show

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm glad I can randomly go thane thane thane thane thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaneeeeeeeeeeee in this thread too now.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Hokuto posted:

Stop it you're making me want to actually watch the show

Or you can watch this gem right here.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm glad I can randomly go thane thane thane thane thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaneeeeeeeeeeee in this thread too now.

Fine I guess I have to post it. This is from when there were a few, uh, compression issues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

In SRWV news, other thing I found out from trawling JP sites that wasn't mentioned in this thread: The original mech was designed by the Linebarrels of Iron artist (which explains a lot about that thing,) so presumably stuff like the original grunts and boss mechs will be in that style too.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Brunom1 posted:

From what I've HEARD, Masaki was slated to come back anyway (don't want Midorikawa to torch Banpresto's office) but using a Duraxyll. Problem is, they couldn't redo the thing's attacks to make them look less villainous, so they just went and made up a bullshit excuse to have the Cybuster still working.

Same story also said the Raveraid (what that its name?) was also supposed to have been part of the team that came back to the surface in MD.

While it's dissapointing we missed out on OG verse Zeta and ZZ Gundam, I will not be missing Sakito. Christ what a boring protagonist he was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Fine I guess I have to post it. This is from when there were a few, uh, compression issues.

That just seems like normal dialogue for Arado.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

I'm satisfied that I know everything I need to know about the series now, thank you. This was magical.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Endorph posted:

super robot wars a

When ever I play XCOM that's how I treat each map. Like I'm playing an SRW game but all my units are supers using real weapons. :negative: RIP sniper who only had a 12% chance of being hit by a Muton but instead got critical hit and one shotted.

Endorph posted:

In SRWV news, other thing I found out from trawling JP sites that wasn't mentioned in this thread: The original mech was designed by the Linebarrels of Iron artist (which explains a lot about that thing,) so presumably stuff like the original grunts and boss mechs will be in that style too.

I liked the mech designs for Linbarrels. It was like a cross between ZoE and Armor Core. Main character was a complete bag but his mech was cool.

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 4, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked that linebarrels was a mecha show where everyone wore suits

edit: Also apparently the linebarrels manga ended recently so it might be in the next SRW since there's a complete story to adapt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Endorph posted:

i liked that linebarrels was a mecha show where everyone wore suits

edit: Also apparently the linebarrels manga ended recently so it might be in the next SRW since there's a complete story to adapt.

Wasn't it already in one of the DS ones? Or was that the anime version? (I don't know much about Linebarrels and don't know how big a difference there is.)

• Locked thread