Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

the claim of them releasing "one or two levels" instead of the full SQ42 has been part of The Agent's checklist for a long long time. Since at least July IIRC. This would be another major score for him.

I said the same thing though. I'm not going to go search now, but I'm 100% positive that I said they can release a few levels as a teaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's bullshit is that you promised me ground vehicles in the last long mile of 2016 and I still can't get around your lovely map-editor of a game. I'm also over 2 hours so Steam won't give me my money back. :negative:

You played Derek's game longer than there is content in CIG's game. Joke's on you.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

What's bullshit is that you promised me ground vehicles in the last long mile of 2016 and I still can't get around your lovely map-editor of a game. I'm also over 2 hours so Steam won't give me my money back. :negative:

Ahhh, the fallback on the "your game sux so SC must be great" defence. Yet another technical hurdle passed in your shillquest MoMA.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, I think they can and it won't really spoil much.

You "think" they can release a level, or few. You don't sound very confident in a 2017 SQ42 release.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, it was (plus, I try to be fair). But I needed to see first-hand why it was so lovely I can't simply go on and discount the rantings of a narcissist lunatic without first understanding a little about where he comes from.

:same:

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Oh wait you were talking about Derek. Nevermind. I thought you meant someone else.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I had a PB&J for lunch!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ripptide posted:

Ahhh, the fallback on the "your game sux so SC must be great" defence. Yet another technical hurdle passed in your shillquest MoMA.

poo poo, I ran that one back before Derek was a mod, and it's entirely irrelevant to the SQ42 shaped hole in the universe. They simply stopped talking about it and concentrated on their hobby 'Quake'. You know, the thing that wasn't a priority before they really needed to show somebody something before the end of the year.

They still haven't actually locked down anything on the lists that we've been making, and their tracker is suffering from opacity because they don't really want anyone knowing how long they're gonna have to wait for their immersion chariot to be flyable.

Four year hype trains are hard. Six year hype trains tend towards the ironic. Decade long hype trains are the preserve of fools.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

Go re-read my posts, slowly this time. I've claimed that SQ42 would be released in 2017 for some time now.

sorry 4 the doxx :rip:

And to preempt inevitable snide remark, yes this took me all night

I mean you're kind of right I guess.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I said the same thing though. I'm not going to go search now, but I'm 100% positive that I said they can release a few levels as a teaser.

Maybe you and The Agent share some of the same sources then!

Good to know there are so many valid insiders to choose from itt.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/366277/lumberyard-1000-players

I loving love these

BONUS

very efficient indeed

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Still you've left yourself plenty of room to be satisfied with whatever's released, good for you I guess

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

very efficient indeed

Star Citizen - Large Ships Will Have Multiple Internal Instances Active

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I've always enjoyed this angle. Nobody before Chris Roberts simply thought of the "what about more polygons" approach. That's what makes him such a visionary.

It reminds me of the Hollywood trope (more evidence that Chris thinks movies are real life) where a room full of scientists and highly specialized professionals are working on a problem around the clock, and the uneducated hick makes some off-the-wall suggestion that turns out to be the right answer, it was just too simple for the "educated" minds to consider.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

I've always enjoyed this angle. Nobody before Chris Roberts simply thought of the "what about more polygons" approach. That's what makes him such a visionary.

It reminds me of the Hollywood trope (more evidence that Chris thinks movies are real life) where a room full of scientists and highly specialized professionals are working on a problem around the clock, and the uneducated hick makes some off-the-wall suggestion that turns out to be the right answer, it was just too simple for the "educated" minds to consider.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

sorry 4 the doxx :rip:

And to preempt inevitable snide remark, yes this took me all night

I mean you're kind of right I guess.

I totally agree that CIG has a lot more up their sleeves that they aren't yet revealing.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, does it have to be Disco? I know Ben isn't going to do it. Is there anybody else that'd be in a position to know all the good stuff, but be screwed enough to be willing to dish?

Sandi will try to make a cash grab for it. To help offset the lawyer's fees she'll be paying to defend her from the civil lawsuit when it all caves.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

You know the dumb thing about Chris' immersion strategy is that while it aims to recreate "real life" visuals by adding more polygons, nature contains barely any polygons at all

That's the dumb thing.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

wait! Ben ate the cat who ate MoMA's notes?

get in the belly.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

He's talking bullshit about the infrastructure. Clustering and Swarming are completely different technologies, so he's just invoking 'der cloud' there. Clustering is balancing, swarming is capacity management.

Back in the early days, you could spunk UDP at things. Then people started loving with the stream for competitive advantage, so everything moved to transactions, and for a limited amount of traffic, all was good.

The problem they have scaling up the number of clients in any single volume of space is the updates required between the client and server; weirdly, even today, automagic scaling is something that keeps people busy for loving weeks - if you're interested, Netflix literally publishes everything they produce on scaling out video delivery.

Eve Online is pretty much the game for this, mainly due to it's 'single shard' claim, and they literally built out new ways to do things, from a memory only database to the largest collection of SSDs gathered together; it's not a new problem.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

MondoDBStar Citizen is web scale.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Are we calling that a confession of superficiality? Ok.

Yes. So what do you think about it?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

He's talking bullshit about the infrastructure. Clustering and Swarming are completely different technologies, so he's just invoking 'der cloud' there. Clustering is balancing, swarming is capacity management.

Back in the early days, you could spunk UDP at things. Then people started loving with the stream for competitive advantage, so everything moved to transactions, and for a limited amount of traffic, all was good.

The problem they have scaling up the number of clients in any single volume of space is the updates required between the client and server; weirdly, even today, automagic scaling is something that keeps people busy for loving weeks - if you're interested, Netflix literally publishes everything they produce on scaling out video delivery.

Eve Online is pretty much the game for this, mainly due to it's 'single shard' claim, and they literally built out new ways to do things, from a memory only database to the largest collection of SSDs gathered together; it's not a new problem.

I see this a lot. To lesser minds, it often seems more intuitive to interpret a limited number of observations as a linear progression, while reality is singularitous.

Thus, while Star Citizen's number of simultaneous players might seem to only increase thusly:

Players(time):

The law of singularism ensures the following development:

Players(time):

Don't be bothered if you can't understand it all immediately, it's a lot to take in

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

ManofManyAliases posted:

Honestly - no one gives a gently caress. At least have the audacity to monetize ads if you're going to peddle your absolute poo poo forum/blog/rants of a lunatic to others.

oooh glass houses

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Hav posted:

Right... right, yes, fidelity. Yep I understand these words. Yep 64 bit that'll be there too. And procedurally generated.

Basically what you're saying is that there will be procedurally generated rendering in the cloud, and all the polygons are 64 bit voxels, just with a Lumberyard frontend to handle the client-server communication. Fuckin... sign me right the gently caress up.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes. So what do you think about it?

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

I see this a lot. To lesser minds, it often seems more intuitive to interpret a limited number of observations as a linear progression, while reality is singularitous.

Thus, while Star Citizen's number of simultaneous players might seem to only increase thusly:

Players(time):

The law of singularism ensures the following development:

Players(time):

Don't be bothered if you can't understand it all immediately, it's a lot to take in

Wow, the Power of the Machines... Crobblers is truly a visionary.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

:drat:
Where is that from?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Gradis posted:

oooh glass houses

I don't have a blog.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I needed to see first-hand why it was so lovely I can't simply go on and discount the rantings of a narcissist lunatic without first understanding a little about where he comes from.

How many hours have you put into Star Marine so far?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I like the new hostile Moma, who won't answer any questions.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Scruffpuff posted:

You know the dumb thing about Chris' immersion strategy is that while it aims to recreate "real life" visuals by adding more polygons, nature contains barely any polygons at all

That's the dumb thing.
Seems natures likes curves.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

AP posted:

Loading or playing?

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

XK posted:

I totally agree that CIG has a lot more up their sleeves that they aren't yet revealing.

Especially Ben.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Go re-read my posts, slowly this time. I've claimed that SQ42 would be released in 2017 for some time now.
Yeah, I'm with you! I jumped on the "SQ42 is coming in 2017" train after CitizenCon too.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

During break, at least 20. Before Break? At least 40 = )

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, does it have to be Disco? I know Ben isn't going to do it. Is there anybody else that'd be in a position to know all the good stuff, but be screwed enough to be willing to dish?
The gag clause/NDA is going to be tied to the severance package. "Here is $XX, say anything about the project and you'll have to pay it back." type thing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

I know you are trying to justify the insane amount of money you spent to yourself but seriously, why not play a good shooter instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I hope it's been worth the wait.