Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Apparently the Iams Veterinary Formula dry dog foods are being discontinued come the new year. This is a shame because our pup has been on the Kangaroo flavor since she was a couple of months old and she has never had an allergic reaction to this food (Most other proteins we have tried she would get ear infections and scratch constantly). Does anyone have another recommended brand featuring kangaroo as the main protein? Bonus points if able to be ordered online from a site like chewy.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

lazerwolf posted:

Apparently the Iams Veterinary Formula dry dog foods are being discontinued come the new year. This is a shame because our pup has been on the Kangaroo flavor since she was a couple of months old and she has never had an allergic reaction to this food (Most other proteins we have tried she would get ear infections and scratch constantly). Does anyone have another recommended brand featuring kangaroo as the main protein? Bonus points if able to be ordered online from a site like chewy.com

https://www.chewy.com/zignature-kangaroo-limited/dp/118059
Zignature's Kangaroo is pretty well-loved, and is a single protein grain free.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

^ Zignature's great, they have a frequent buyer program too. Lots of dogs I know do very well on it.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Thanks! That was the one brand I was considering but hadn't heard much about it. Much appreciated

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

drat I wanna eat kangaroo meat, your dogs are living more fulfilling lives than me.

Wish for Rain
Jan 31, 2013

Clever Betty
I typically buy a couple of large bags of Orijen Cat & Kitten food online so they last me a while and I don't have to think about re-ordering it constantly. I just got my new order in today. I knew that they downsized the bags and decreased the price a little, but somehow completely failed to notice that it's no longer being manufactured in Canada. Does anybody know if the quality of the product is still the same after the switch?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Wish for Rain posted:

I typically buy a couple of large bags of Orijen Cat & Kitten food online so they last me a while and I don't have to think about re-ordering it constantly. I just got my new order in today. I knew that they downsized the bags and decreased the price a little, but somehow completely failed to notice that it's no longer being manufactured in Canada. Does anybody know if the quality of the product is still the same after the switch?

Some people are claiming the new food killed their dogs but after that, they started talking about the dangers of overvaccination and how non-premium brands of pet food use roadkill so keep that in mind. I would try out the new bag, keeping a close eye on how they like it, see if the smell and texture is different etc.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

On more or less a whim, I bought some Darwin's Raw cat food for my cats. They have an introductory ten-pounds-for-fifteen-dollars deal.

How dumb is this idea?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

a foolish pianist posted:

On more or less a whim, I bought some Darwin's Raw cat food for my cats. They have an introductory ten-pounds-for-fifteen-dollars deal.

How dumb is this idea?

I can't speak for Darwins cat but I had Darwins for my shiba and I loved it. Her coat was awesome and poops were great, and she loved it. I can only imagine a cat would thrive on it. Also it's super reasonably priced compared to most raw that I've seen of that quality. Ymmv though but I want to go back to it when I have the spare cash. If nothing else you can use it to supplement dry kibble with it to stretch it more.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Wish for Rain posted:

The facility they built is top-notch, human-grade and brand new, and they're still sourcing as locally as possible. Unless your cat has some sort of terrible allergies and you don't read the new ingredients, I don't foresee you having a problem. Thus far where I work (and we've sold Orijen/Acana for years) we haven't heard of any issues. Like Lareine said, keep an eye on your pets anyways, though.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I have a 6 month old puppy, we've had her for around a month. We're feeding her Wellness Core puppy formula (had really good results with Wellness with our cat).

Couple questions.

Until what age should I be feeding her the puppy formula?

We are currently feeding her just under a cup, three times a day. I think this might be too much, or too often, as it's a pain to get her to actually eat it. I don't think it's an appetite issue, she is just easily distracted. Would it be a bad idea to go to 2 times a day? And what about the overall volume of food?

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My cat has always had a pretty weak appetite but as she gets older I want to make sure she still eats plenty. Is there anything to add/sprinkle on wet food to make it more appealing?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I would say change the wet food. Look into Tiki Cat. We bought it for our diabetic cat. We feed him in a separate room, but now all the other cats are trying to bang down the door to get to it.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

We tried a TON of brands (including Tiki). She seems to like the morsel/shredded texture much more than pâté, and also likes there to be more liquid it seems.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Ever since switching to natures variety instinct wet food my cat is severely constipated 2-3 times per week. He runs around the house screaming and straining and then poops on the floor. I add water and fiber powder to his food, but I haven't noticed a difference. He never used to get constipated when he ate Lotus wet food but I can't get him to eat it again. Amy suggestions for dealing with this? He's been to the vet twice and they said he was fine. Thanks.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

khysanth posted:

We tried a TON of brands (including Tiki). She seems to like the morsel/shredded texture much more than pâté, and also likes there to be more liquid it seems.

With an old cat, whatever they eat is the best food. Our old family cat has similar "flake only, lots of liquid" pickiness. He'll only touch 3 specific flavors of fancy feast wet food. It's not is perfectly ideal as other wet food, but he actually likes eating it he does well on it so that's all that matters.

If you've already played brand roulette just stick with what you know she eats and hope for the best.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I have a 6 month old puppy, we've had her for around a month. We're feeding her Wellness Core puppy formula (had really good results with Wellness with our cat).

Couple questions.

Until what age should I be feeding her the puppy formula?

We are currently feeding her just under a cup, three times a day. I think this might be too much, or too often, as it's a pain to get her to actually eat it. I don't think it's an appetite issue, she is just easily distracted. Would it be a bad idea to go to 2 times a day? And what about the overall volume of food?

The bag that the food comes in will have a feeding recommendation on the back. You should start by adhering to that, and if she is losing or gaining weight that you aren't comfortable with, adjust from there. She should be on puppy food for about a year. You could go to 2x day feedings if you like, she may be more interested in eating if she's hungrier. If you are giving her tons and tons of treats, this will effect her appetite, so make sure that you are keeping the treats small and only given when necessary. If she is getting too much of her calories from treats, that means that the important vitamins and minerals in her food are being neglected. Hope this helps!

thebehaviorist posted:

Ever since switching to natures variety instinct wet food my cat is severely constipated 2-3 times per week. He runs around the house screaming and straining and then poops on the floor. I add water and fiber powder to his food, but I haven't noticed a difference. He never used to get constipated when he ate Lotus wet food but I can't get him to eat it again. Amy suggestions for dealing with this? He's been to the vet twice and they said he was fine. Thanks.

If you cat is not doing well on this food and hasn't been for a while, change his food. Try Weruva, Fromm, Earthborn, Health Extension, Solid Gold, Tiki Cat, or whatever's available and good quality. If you tell me what you want specifically (pate or shredded, poultry or fish, price points etc) I can give more pointed recommendations. You can try pumpkin in the meantime, just pick up some plain, canned pumpkin at the grocery store. Really helps with poo issues, but I still think that Nature's Variety is not the right food for your cat based on your explanation.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

porkswordonboard posted:

If you cat is not doing well on this food and hasn't been for a while, change his food. Try Weruva, Fromm, Earthborn, Health Extension, Solid Gold, Tiki Cat, or whatever's available and good quality. If you tell me what you want specifically (pate or shredded, poultry or fish, price points etc) I can give more pointed recommendations. You can try pumpkin in the meantime, just pick up some plain, canned pumpkin at the grocery store. Really helps with poo issues, but I still think that Nature's Variety is not the right food for your cat based on your explanation.

Hi thanks for chiming in. I've tried weruvu, tiki cat, lotus, wellness, Orijen, and some others I can't remember. They prefer pate and will only eat chicken. I used to do pumpkin but was wasting those large cans so I switched to fiber powder. I'll go back to the pumpkin though as that did seem to help a bit more. As far as price point I'll pay whatever I need to. It's not an issue. Thank you!

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

thebehaviorist posted:

Hi thanks for chiming in. I've tried weruvu, tiki cat, lotus, wellness, Orijen, and some others I can't remember. They prefer pate and will only eat chicken. I used to do pumpkin but was wasting those large cans so I switched to fiber powder. I'll go back to the pumpkin though as that did seem to help a bit more. As far as price point I'll pay whatever I need to. It's not an issue. Thank you!
Have you tried Miralax? It's a human OTC stool softener that works great in cats, way better than fiber powder imo. It's a tasteless powder so it's easy to mix into canned food. Ask your vet or just google the dose or whatever.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Crooked Booty posted:

Have you tried Miralax? It's a human OTC stool softener that works great in cats, way better than fiber powder imo. It's a tasteless powder so it's easy to mix into canned food. Ask your vet or just google the dose or whatever.

And honestly fiber isn't really proven to be needed for going number 2. The elderly tend to get backed up because of excess fiber in their diets. So you might just be fueling the constipation fire. Humans technically shouldn't eat over 20 grams a day. Easy to do with fiber supplements. Laxative and a locked, easily cleanable room should be good.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Kerfuffle posted:

With an old cat, whatever they eat is the best food. Our old family cat has similar "flake only, lots of liquid" pickiness. He'll only touch 3 specific flavors of fancy feast wet food. It's not is perfectly ideal as other wet food, but he actually likes eating it he does well on it so that's all that matters.

If you've already played brand roulette just stick with what you know she eats and hope for the best.

So it turns out on the first brand roulette we did, we only got the Tiki food with the added pumpkin. Went back to the store and picked up a few of the small cans of regular Tiki and old kitty has been devouring it! :D

~2 of the small cans per day (1 in the morning and 1 at night) seems like as much as she will eat. Pretty normal for an old cat who has always had a small appetite? She only weighs ~10lbs.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Crooked Booty posted:

Hi there. Yes I have given miralax in his food as a last resort and it has worked. I read some warnings online about giving it to cats who don't drink enough water so I'm hesitant to use it to much.

porkswordonboard- I looked for the other foods you suggested and my store did not carry them, but they did have EVO canned food so I grabbed some of those. I gave my cat the choice between the EVO and Nature's variety and he went for the EVO first so I went ahead and mixed it 50/50 and both cats ate it up (THIS IS RARE). Do you think this is a good food to switch to? It has salmon oil which is supposed to be good for constipation (according to my cat sitter...).

Thanks!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

khysanth posted:

So it turns out on the first brand roulette we did, we only got the Tiki food with the added pumpkin. Went back to the store and picked up a few of the small cans of regular Tiki and old kitty has been devouring it! :D

~2 of the small cans per day (1 in the morning and 1 at night) seems like as much as she will eat. Pretty normal for an old cat who has always had a small appetite? She only weighs ~10lbs.

Yayyy :3: This is also almost exactly what our cat eats, he's around the same weight and has been a very regulated eater too. Only difference is he's just fed when he's hungry and asks to fed because it prevents him from being pukey. So if that crops up later you can try doing that :V

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

thebehaviorist posted:

Hi there. Yes I have given miralax in his food as a last resort and it has worked. I read some warnings online about giving it to cats who don't drink enough water so I'm hesitant to use it to much.

porkswordonboard- I looked for the other foods you suggested and my store did not carry them, but they did have EVO canned food so I grabbed some of those. I gave my cat the choice between the EVO and Nature's variety and he went for the EVO first so I went ahead and mixed it 50/50 and both cats ate it up (THIS IS RARE). Do you think this is a good food to switch to? It has salmon oil which is supposed to be good for constipation (according to my cat sitter...).

Thanks!

Yes, EVO is a good food! Salmon oil is good for the skin and coat, and I don't see why it wouldn't help with poops. Good choice!

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

My cat only wants to eat trash.

She's ten months old and since we got her at eight weeks she's been eating a little bit of Tiki Cat, but mostly Weruva's BFF--until she decided she didn't like it anymore. Okay, that's fine, we upgraded to the Cats in the Kitchen line and she ate that happily for about three months. Then she stopped eating it. We switched to Wellness Core, which lasted all of...a week.

The only thing she'll consistently eat as a wet food is Fancy Feast. Her dry food is Orijen Cats and Kittens, she loves it, she's eaten it her entire life since joining us. It's just wet food where she wants cheeseburgers over steak. We've been feeding her that for a few days and she bolts it down, whereas with the fancy food even when she was eating it she'd take her time.

Is my cat just an idiot? Am I a bad cat owner because I can't figure it out? How do I work with this stupid little fartmonster? Do I just give up and feed her to a raccoon?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cats are all idiots.

I free feed my cats dry food and give them a little supplemental wet food. I did give mine the Cats in the Kitchen from Weruva for a while but then they stopped eating it all. They kept leaving the bigger chunks. They've been eating the Soulistic in the reddish-brown pouches for a while now and they've been cleaning the plate.

I remember seeing that Soulistic was Weruva's brand for PetCo but I didn't find anything definitive with a quick Google just now.

Some people have posted concerns about feeding Soulistic as the only food source, mostly because it is fish heavy and low on calories (high moisture). That's probably why it's working out well for supplemental feeding for me. One of my cats is a little on the chunky side but he's been holding at about the same weight for years now. He's 11. The other one is 13 and doing great. She's a good weight and just had her senior blood work come back aces. She will be having her teeth cleaned for the first time this year.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Tiny Deer posted:

The only thing she'll consistently eat as a wet food is Fancy Feast. Her dry food is Orijen Cats and Kittens, she loves it, she's eaten it her entire life since joining us. It's just wet food where she wants cheeseburgers over steak.
Personally I would just feed her Fancy Feast and Orijen.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

porkswordonboard posted:

Yes, EVO is a good food! Salmon oil is good for the skin and coat, and I don't see why it wouldn't help with poops. Good choice!

Cool thanks! Now I just have to find somewhere to buy it in bulk. 2 cans a day of this stuff is $$$. I think I'll still add pumpkin a couple times a week too. Thanks again!

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Crooked Booty posted:

Personally I would just feed her Fancy Feast and Orijen.

But my guuuuilt.

Yeah, I should just do that. As long as she's happy and eating, I guess.

At least my friend's cats will be eating the top shelf stuff for a while after I give them this thirty dollars worth of cat food, you ungrateful trash beast of a cat!!

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Yeah my last cat was like this, ate all her Wellness Core or BB Wilderness dry but for wet it was fancy feast, friskies, or nothing at all. My friends cat too, which scored me free cans of Wilderness Salmon for current cat so thanks picky eaters!!!!! JK but my understanding is them eating a wet food at all, even a garbage one, is still going to be great for them long term regarding UTIs and some kidney issues. Her dry food is still good so dont guilt too hard.

My cat has been devouring cans of Taste of the Wild so that has been awesome, hope it lasts :v:

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Yo for anyone who feeds Evangers, big recall on the "hunk of beef" line due to several sick dogs and one death: http://www.ktvu.com/news/234210140-story

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Psychobabble! posted:

Yo for anyone who feeds Evangers, big recall on the "hunk of beef" line due to several sick dogs and one death: http://www.ktvu.com/news/234210140-story

"...found to be contaminated with Pentobarbital, a euthanasia drug..." What the hell? Found to be poisoned, don't sugar coat it.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

^ Probably using euthanized animals in the food, which is just as disgusting.

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013
I think I need to find a better dry cat food.

Cats: one 2 year old female, one older (we estimate about 9) male.

They were eating the Simply Nourish (Petsmart's store brand) grain free chicken which was fine but I wanted to feed them something a little nicer, so last month or so I switched them to Merrick Before Grain Chicken, which I figured they'd do well on because they used to eat Merrick Perfect Bistro when our local pet shop stocked it.

Both of them like and eat it and the calico doesn't seem to have really been affected by the swap. The tuxedo's fur got really soft and glossy (great!) but he gained weight, so figuring it was richer, we cut back on how much we fed him. Today, I noticed he has dandruff in his fur which he doesn't typically have a problem with. Should I switch?

If we switch, the new food must:
-be dry. we want to keep them on the same food, and the calico won't eat wet food.
-have a chicken flavor, which they both like and will eat
-not be horrifyingly expensive (Solid Gold Indigo Moon, I'm looking at you)

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Sea Pancake posted:

-be dry. we want to keep them on the same food, and the calico won't eat wet food.

No wet food at all? Could it be texture? My guys will lick the gravy off of pate types and leave a sad, mushed, dried-out puck of the actual food, but they'll clear out a bowl of the shreds in gravy type pretty enthusiastically. They mostly get Indigo Moon (which you mentioned is not an option) dry, but also about three packets a week of Wellness Morsels turkey & duck, which gets demolished quickly. The same recipe in a pate form would probably get a desultory licking and not be eaten.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Just got an email from my pet store - looks like a recall on the 12.5oz cans of Wellness wet cat food with expiration between 8/3/19 and 8/5/19. Just a heads up.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Sea Pancake posted:

I think I need to find a better dry cat food.

Cats: one 2 year old female, one older (we estimate about 9) male.

They were eating the Simply Nourish (Petsmart's store brand) grain free chicken which was fine but I wanted to feed them something a little nicer, so last month or so I switched them to Merrick Before Grain Chicken, which I figured they'd do well on because they used to eat Merrick Perfect Bistro when our local pet shop stocked it.

Both of them like and eat it and the calico doesn't seem to have really been affected by the swap. The tuxedo's fur got really soft and glossy (great!) but he gained weight, so figuring it was richer, we cut back on how much we fed him. Today, I noticed he has dandruff in his fur which he doesn't typically have a problem with. Should I switch?

-have a chicken flavor, which they both like and will eat
-not be horrifyingly expensive (Solid Gold Indigo Moon, I'm looking at you)

Is it cold where you are? If it's winter weather where you live, a lot of cats get dandruff from the fact that heating a house dries it out. If this is the case, I recommend trying a humidifier, bringing him into the bathroom when you shower (you'd be surprised how much the steam can help), making sure their water is changed at least 2x a day to keep them hydrated, adding water to the kibble, or even buying a fountain. They may be slightly dehydrated from the dry food only-no judgement whatsoever if they won't eat wet...cats, man. Also considering adding a little salmon or coconut oil to their meals.

I would personally try a few of these things before switching from a food that your cats like, fits your budget, and has already shown improvements. If you still aren't pleased I'm sure many of us would be happy to recommend alternate foods. Good luck!

Sea Pancake
Dec 2, 2013

porkswordonboard posted:

Is it cold where you are? If it's winter weather where you live, a lot of cats get dandruff from the fact that heating a house dries it out. If this is the case, I recommend trying a humidifier, bringing him into the bathroom when you shower (you'd be surprised how much the steam can help), making sure their water is changed at least 2x a day to keep them hydrated, adding water to the kibble, or even buying a fountain. They may be slightly dehydrated from the dry food only-no judgement whatsoever if they won't eat wet...cats, man. Also considering adding a little salmon or coconut oil to their meals.

I would personally try a few of these things before switching from a food that your cats like, fits your budget, and has already shown improvements. If you still aren't pleased I'm sure many of us would be happy to recommend alternate foods. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, it's winter here and even though it's fairly mild outside we do run the heat, so that might be it. I wish they'd eat wet food, but while the tux does like some wet foods, the calico refuses, and it's just easier to keep them on the same food for now. I'll give your suggestions a try, thanks again!

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Well I was happy keeping my cats on nature's variety instinct, but my gf saw this brand that I can't seem to find too much about, but it seems good. It's Dave's pet food, looking at the 95% meat one http://davespetfood.com/catalog/for-cats/can-for-cats/premium-meat/

Anyone know if it's good, price seems really good and everything I could see makes it seem good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any general advice on making my dog's breath smell less like Satan? We brush his teeth every day and had them cleaned about a year ago, the dentist didn't point anything out so I don't think he has a bad tooth or something.