Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Deteriorata posted:

Or a "parking lot" if you live in South Philly.

What the god drat gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It is illegal. But it's also completely unenforced down there and has been since the 40s or so.

The cops and parking authority just officially pretend it isn't happening.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The city has assiduously ignored all street parking needs in the area for decades, and the center lane was all there was. It just became a thing because there was no alternative.

There would be literally rioting in the streets if they tried to crack down on it without offering an alternative.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Varance posted:

Let me introduce you to the horrors of South Florida failed developments:

Placidia, FL: https://www.google.com/maps/@26.8559315,-82.2230436,4044m/data=!3m1!1e3

I like how Streetview took pictures of every single empty road. Someone must have had a quota.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?

fishmech posted:

It is illegal. But it's also completely unenforced down there and has been since the 40s or so.

The cops and parking authority just officially pretend it isn't happening.

And, in general, there are only rowhouses on each side of the road, so there isn't any opportunity to make a mid-block left turn anyway. So parking happens.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deteriorata posted:

Or a "parking lot" if you live in South Philly.

Or "Center Two-Way Left-Turn Lane" if you're the FHWA

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/08042/

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

Another name for a center turn lane that's used by both sides of a road. You might more commonly hear it called a suicide lane.

I always thought that a suicide lane was the center lane that switches direction depending on time, or whatever. Like Dodge St here in Omaha. From 9PM(I think?) to 9AM it's eastbound, then at 9AM it switches to westbound.

Or does that have another name? Besides "Sit behind the rear end in a top hat who can't understand basic concepts like 'No Left Turn, Ever, You loving Moron! I Will Get Out Of This Car And Beat You To Death With Your Own Seatbelt!'"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

now entering North Dakota posted:

I always thought that a suicide lane was the center lane that switches direction depending on time, or whatever. Like Dodge St here in Omaha. From 9PM(I think?) to 9AM it's eastbound, then at 9AM it switches to westbound.

Or does that have another name? Besides "Sit behind the rear end in a top hat who can't understand basic concepts like 'No Left Turn, Ever, You loving Moron! I Will Get Out Of This Car And Beat You To Death With Your Own Seatbelt!'"

Reversible Lane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_lane

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

speaking of roundabouts and traffic circles:

In America we build some of ours at the junction of 65 mph rural two-lane highways :clint:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5303586,-95.8043229,17z

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

will_colorado posted:

speaking of roundabouts and traffic circles:

In America we build some of ours at the junction of 65 mph rural two-lane highways :clint:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5303586,-95.8043229,17z

We also have them on 100kph (62mph) roads in the Netherlands.
Though typically the speed limit on the actual roundabout is 50kph. The one in your example seems to have a 20mph speed limit on the actual roundabout?(not sure if it is a limit or a advisory speed).

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

NihilismNow posted:

We also have them on 100kph (62mph) roads in the Netherlands.
Though typically the speed limit on the actual roundabout is 50kph. The one in your example seems to have a 20mph speed limit on the actual roundabout?(not sure if it is a limit or a advisory speed).

Yellow speed is advisory, white speed is regulatory

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I like how clearly some is paid to mow all those empty settlements.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What, no one posted this yet? Just saw it on Hacker News.
https://www.fastcoexist.com/3066435/how-sweden-has-redesigned-streets-to-route-around-bad-human-behavior

Edit: Not that I think it's news to anyone in this thread, but it's always nice to see good ideas apparently getting some traction.

Also, more about the How of it.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/02/economist-explains-16

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 18, 2016

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

What, no one posted this yet? Just saw it on Hacker News.
https://www.fastcoexist.com/3066435/how-sweden-has-redesigned-streets-to-route-around-bad-human-behavior

Edit: Not that I think it's news to anyone in this thread, but it's always nice to see good ideas apparently getting some traction.

Also, more about the How of it.
http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/02/economist-explains-16

Interesting that they single out right turns on red in the first article.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I nearly got run over by a lady turning right on a red on the way to work today. First of all she creeped out and blocked the crosswalk like an rear end in a top hat, then continued to creep while only looking to her left. I made a big arc out in front of her and she accelerated and finally saw me and hit the breaks while looking at me like "WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU IN FRONT OF MY CAR!?" then drove off. Would have normally gone behind but a huge truck decided to creep along with her nicely blocking the whole crosswalk.

I sort of get creeping when you're trying to turn right on a red, but people do this to me just at a normal red light. There's no reason to creep. It's like their so impatient about the red light that they just have to creep forward a few feet or they'll explode.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mainly applies in construction but never ever walk in front (or behind) a car equipment without the driver seeing or acknowledging you. People are generally idiots and when it comes to you against a car never assume you're good.

But yeah people being impatient idiots are ever a good time. Speaking of I've been meaning to put a big effort post of a traffic problem we have in our city that we're trying to solve. I'll see if I can tonight.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 20, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I think some people are also just incapable of holding down the brake. Went through the drive-thru last night, and the lady in front of me had to stomp on her brakes a couple times to catch herself creeping forward as she was ordering.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A typical case of Belgian traffic signs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carbon dioxide posted:

A typical case of Belgian traffic signs.

It's the car stopped there with the door open just out of frame that makes this image amazing.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Interesting traffic light arrangement.

https://twitter.com/CrazyinRussia/status/816244732401696773?s=04

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

...that's loving genius, actually. And gorgeous. If a bit jarring for those who aren't used to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol is this the political pictures thread now? "Russian" traffic lights.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

D34THROW posted:

...that's loving genius, actually. And gorgeous. If a bit jarring for those who aren't used to it.

Except, traffic lights typically have those little blinders around them so they [ideally] can only be seen on the side they're aiming at, right? This would seem to drastically undo that idea.

Not saying I don't like it, though. It's pretty.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

lol is this the political pictures thread now? "Russian" traffic lights.

Are they not Russian? Do you have some other insight to impart?

Those light-up signal poles and mast arms are anti-MUTCD as gently caress, and you won't see them in the US any time soon.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Devor posted:

Are they not Russian? Do you have some other insight to impart?

Those light-up signal poles and mast arms are anti-MUTCD as gently caress, and you won't see them in the US any time soon.

They're Ukrainian. Not disputed Ukraine, Kiev Ukraine.

http://podrobnosti.ua/2135542-v-kieve-pojavilis-novye-eksperimentalnye-svetofory-foto.html

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I could say some unkind things about traffic engineering and drivrers in Ukraine.

This is where the new "experimental" traffic light is. The whole area is a nightmare mess, specially as a pedestrian. It's one of those classic massive eastern european intersections where they've tried to solve all problems by just creating a football field of pavement and hope for the best.
https://goo.gl/maps/7X6b1AuSV512

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 3, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cool, more highway lanes and bigger interchanges once again didn't make anything better. Imagine the transit 2.8 billion could have bought (although given it's the US, that would buy what, a mile of tram track that has to share a lane with traffic?)
http://cityobservatory.org/reducing-congestion-katy-didnt-2/

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Interesting, thanks for the correction! I suppose that Twitter account is not to be taken too seriously, considering the poo poo they seem to be posting usually.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
They installed a light and new overheight warning in front of the famous 11-foot-8 bridge, and it's actually helping some (It's also nice for getting onto Gregson from Peabody since it's kind of blind). Although I've noticed that city busses seem to trigger the sensor even though they can pass under easily.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
So while I was catching up to traffic talk I had to path through helmet talk. Now while that whole discussion made me stupidly cross as a commuting bicyclist who wears a helmet there was one little tidbit that went unnoticed in that tire fire.

Fangz posted:

(BTW bullet proof vests and bike helmets are actually comparable in price)

I just have to take a moment to quote this and point out that, no... bullet proof vests are at two, sometimes three, orders of magnitude more expensive.

I would prefer if they were wholly red and only green for the signal itself. Don't encourage people to try to jump on the gas when they turn green but make sure the red is extra visible.

What exactly makes it against the MUTCD? The design or the lighting?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

M_Gargantua posted:

I would prefer if they were wholly red and only green for the signal itself. Don't encourage people to try to jump on the gas when they turn green but make sure the red is extra visible.

What exactly makes it against the MUTCD? The design or the lighting?

Here's the relevant part of the 2009 MUTCD, http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2/part4.pdf It's in Section 4D.12

The primary lines for why those all-lit poles aren't acceptable are "Road users approaching a signalized intersection or other signalized area, such as a midblock crosswalk, shall be given a clear and unmistakable indication of their right-of-way assignment." (the light signal might be ambiguous to cross traffic) and "In cases where irregular street design necessitates placing signal faces for different street approaches with a comparatively small angle between their respective signal indications, each signal indication shall, to the extent practical, be visibility-limited by signal visors, signal louvers, or other means so that an approaching road user’s view of the signal indication(s) controlling movements on other approaches is minimized."

They might be allowable as part of special purpose traffic lights, like when you have a drawbridge or other such crossing, where total closures of the roadway are frequent enough to have permanent traffic signals installed. Since there's no cross traffic to worry about getting the wrong message, a light support also glowing green or red as appropriate probably wouldn't be a big issue. However, you'd also be blowing a lot of money on that setup, both in the initial lighting and ongoing power bills.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I could definitely see this tech being used on rural and/or dangerous railroad crossings, given the low draw of LEDs and the potential for standalone setups that don't require an electrical feed.

Illuminate the crossbuck? Why not!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The 11'8" bridge could use something obnoxiously visible like that.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Javid posted:

The 11'8" bridge could use something obnoxiously visible like that.

Given the record of distracted rental-truck drivers, they'd probably just wonder "didn't they put up the Christmas lights a bit early this year", and then crash.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Russia.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Uber is soon going to be making anonymized trip data available to anyone who wants it. https://movement.uber.com/cities

It seems like they're going to be releasing the data first to researchers, planners, and city officials and then to the public a few months down the line.

It seems like this data could be very useful to cities as they plan their various transportation efforts.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Press release about it.

Probably give the basic data away and charge for analysis. Not a bad deal, most cities don't have the resources to do this in house. Bigger cities are already doing this and can hopefully slip the data right into their workflow.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
You must obey the grid.

Grand Juction CO

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RaffyTaffy posted:

You must obey the grid.

Grand Juction CO
You must obey the Section/Township/Range (and local topography)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

RaffyTaffy posted:

You must obey the grid.

Grand Juction CO

*carefully places a police and fire station at intersection of F and 33*